Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Welcome, Jesika63! Glad to have you here and sorry you have to be here.

I'm taking Fosamax. I don't know if Arimidex comes in different dosages. I'm taking 1mg daily.

BTW, it would help immensely if you made your diagnosis and treatments public, if you wouldn't mind.

HUGS!!

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Hi! I take 1200 u calcium, and 5000 D3, daily.

Arimadex is a one size fits all dose. Which never made sense to me, some of us are thin, others are more fluffy

• Jesika63
    Jesika63 Member Posts: 25

ty so much for your quick reply.

Peggy- I have only posted a few post in the radiation and now here. I was trying to figure out where to go back and add my diagnosis and treatment. Help appreciated. i am not computer sassy till now lol. at least trying. :) hopefully will get the hang of it.

Spookiesmom- One size fits all doesn't make sense to me either. Hope this little powerful pill helps all of us, I thought of it not so much because of over treatment but for under treatment. Maybe it all evens out with whatever other treatments we have had. I see you are from Florida also. I am in the East side. Beautiful weather here.

• pontiacpeggy

Jeskika63, go to your profile and on the diagnoses tab, make sure you've filled out everything you can AND then MAKE each one PUBLIC. That should do the trick. If not, let me know and we'll try again :)

Spookiesmom, I don't know why that seems so strange that one dose fits all. Isn't that how antibiotics work too (I don't take them so don't know for sure)? I think that maybe anesthesia goes by weight. Others seem to go by how bad the bug or problem is, how big the dose is. Most of us take 2 aspirin or 2 Tylenol, don't we? Just a thought - could be totally useless, too Nerdy

HUGS!

• spookiesmom

I do know the chemo is calculated to your weight. And maybe other meds too. And some like my DH says if one is good, two or three is better.

• angelia50
    angelia50 Member Posts: 168

Redheaded1, I know everybody says exercise is great and I know I need more but at this point, I can't do much of anything that would require standing or something like that. I haven't had this kind of problems since before I had my knee replaced. I am stopping the

Arimidex for a week and hoping that will clear the knee pain up.

• pontiacpeggy

SpookiesMom, HAHAHA! There are days when that's my philosophy on wine, too :) I did wonder if chemo was done on weight, thanks for the info.

Angelia, Hope going off helps your knee. Do remember that the manufacturer of your anastrozole can make a difference in some cases. HUGS!!

• angelia50

Pontiac Peggy, I take name brand, get it through that program with the manufacturer.

• pontiacpeggy

Angelia, at least you're not as likely to have filler issues. Nice that you get through a program. HUGS!!

• Chloesmom
    Chloesmom Member Posts: 626

my dog's stiffness ft a lot less with Omega 3s. Do you know if re clinical trial is using flax orfish oil?

• luckypenny
    luckypenny Member Posts: 13

I thought it would be fish oil - as flax I gave read is a phytoestrogen or perhaps I simply ready that jury is out on flax seed oil for er+ women

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540

Don't mess with flax!

• Cee67
    Cee67 Member Posts: 43

I envy all of you who can run and exercise. I cough my head off when I do and was dx'd after walking and then running on a treadmill with exercise induced asthma. GP said not all can tolerate intense exercise and suggested Yoga or Pilates but said to nix them if I cough...and I do the minute they become challenging. I can't do swimming b/c the chlorine bothers my lungs. GP said to try gentle stretching and walking and that's about all I can do. A former GP recommended taking a very high dose of magnesium before exercising and said it might prevent the cough. Has anyone ever heard anything about magnesium with regard to exercise induced asthma?

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Sookiesmom chemo is based on your skin surface area. They estimate it by both weight and height.

Jesika63 I do believe it does come in different dosages but for breast cancer treatment it's one size fits all.

• spookiesmom

My SIL is currently in RN school, he was telling me how the calculations were done. Then when I was in for a port flush, I heard a nurse say she had to figure the calcs for a patient. Neither mentioned skin surface?

• AussieElaine
    AussieElaine Member Posts: 43

Hi all, I was really scared about taking Arimidex as I had read so much about the SE's. I have been taking it for almost 4 months now and apart from a few hot flushes there has been no problems. I saw my onc last week and she admitted that she thought I may have been in for the joint/bone pain as I had it really bad with chemo. But so far so good and I feel so sorry for those who have the SE's. I had my vit d level checked and it is 116, I also take calcium and glucosamine/chondriten tablets. I swim 3x a week, walk at least 5 miles a day and go to the gym twice a week. Basically I am saying I'm doing everything I can to stay fit and healthy, but maybe it is also keeping the SE's at bay. Good luck to allNerdy

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

Seriously---Flax seed is a no no?   Are you sure?

Sorry for suggesting exercise to someone with knee replacement surgery.  that's like telling me to open childproof pill bottles with my broken right wrist.....Mea Culpa.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

I am surprised, never heard flax seed was a problem.  I make a flax seed apple walnut muffin and eat it most mornings for bfast, is that bad?

• angelia50

Redhead, no problem. Normally, I can do exercises and was trying to ride a bike at the gym but this new pain is a whole nuther animal. Today, so far, it feels like it might be doing better. I sure hope so, because I would sure rather find out it was the meds than cancer returned or that my knee replacement is failing and would have to be redone, neither of which would be good news.

• meljo614
    meljo614 Member Posts: 136

Flax, like soy, is a plant-based estrogen.  There is mixed information out there, but to be safe I avoid both.  Obviously this is only an issue for us hormone positive girls. 

Aussie, I'm only six weeks into Anastrozole but so far I'm not experiencing any major SE's either.  I'm very active, like you, which I think does play a role. 

Cee, I have asthma too (allergin-induced and exercise-induced) but it is well managed with a daily steroid inhaler and a rescue inhaler.  Sounds like yoga would be a great option for you (Pilates too if you can tolerate it--I love Pilates).  Do what you can to keep moving as much as possible.  Too bad you can't swim.  It would be nice if you had access to a salt-water pool which would eliminate the chlorine issue. 

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

hmmm, never knew that about flax seed although did know of soy

dang tough to figure what to do or not~~my little muffins do not have lots of flax seed so maybe ok

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540

A small bit of soy or flax won't hurt you; but do not add extra to your diet or supplements if you are estrogen positive. As others have said, the jury is still out on whether they could be harmful, but why chance it?

• stage1
    stage1 Member Posts: 285

When I was diagnosed I was on flaxseed oil capsules for dry eye. I found the info on my own, brought it to the dr attention, and he told me to be safe to quit the flaxseed oil. But I don't think the seeds would be enough to make a problem. Plus the seeds have to be chewed well and opened to enter your system.

• jennie93
    jennie93 Member Posts: 263

The latest studies indicate that soy (and other phytoestrogens) are protective, not harmful. Even for those who already have a history of ER+ cancer. Here's one article.

http://www.nutritionaction.com/daily/how-to-diet/h...:%20How%20to%20Diet

• spookiesmom

everything in moderation!

• ndgirl
    ndgirl Member Posts: 950

Never heard that about flax, did get warned to stay away from soy.

• Goaskalice
    Goaskalice Member Posts: 1

I was having awful hot flashes and night sweats, multiple times each night. Oxybutinin has taken them away completely.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,532

Welcome Goaskalice to BCO, and thanks for sharing your experience!

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

if it makes you feel better, dr. Oz told Oprah once that if she wasn't grinding her flax seeds, they were worthless because their coating is too hard to breakdown before they pass through your system

• spookiesmom

For once Dr Oz MAY have been right.