Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

Jilly--Do you have a pharmacist that you like?  Try and see them when they are not busy, explain how you did this with the cipro and now with the Armidex and perhaps you can identify the common element in the two scripts-- Most of the drug companies will not release the ingredients except to the doc or the pharmacist.

This sounds like such a severe reaction, I cannot imagine your MO will want you to continue, at least without him/her seeing exactly what is happening.  Can you take Benedryl and if so, will it calm it down.  It sounds like your histamine is really feeling a threat by something in the drug.  ( I did the same thing with ultracet and darvocet but could tolerate other codeine's, so they knew it was filler, just not which one)   

• farmerjo
    farmerjo Member Posts: 239

I know the pharmacist well. The Cipro reaction was several years ago and was more than likely filled by this pharmacist. I will be seeing her tomorrow.

I did not take the AI last night and my scalp feels sooo much better today. Of course, the dry flaking skin is still there but the itch and burn has subsided.

I have awful sinus problems that I carry year-round. Allergy testing always came up negative. I started Atarax about three years ago and take it several times a week...this keeps me from getting sinus infections.

It's my understanding that our immune system helps to ward-off cancer...so how do allergy meds play into this, if at all?

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484

Jilly - I will make the suggestion to try a drug reference on line to verify that you did in fact get Arimidex. Not totally an impossibility even with today's verification methods. I've used this one in the past. Also has a bonus of having inactive ingredients (fillers) listed.

http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/index.cfm

And great for all our other medications!

Edited for typo

• farmerjo

Great link! Thanks!

• luvmygoats

Jilly - YW!

I'll have to look for it but somewhere there is a good medication interaction checker. Might have to PM another member for it. Stay tuned lol.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Jilly, I took an ancient, now discontinued antihistamine solidly for 4 weeks with my cipro reaction. It helped with the itching. Nothing was helping the peeling. Benedryl is often helpful.

• luvmygoats

http://www.drugs.com/

This has an interaction checker. Not the one I was looking for I don't think but seems adequate. It found the one I was aware of on my meds.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Goats!!!! Where ya been???? Miss you!!!!!

• Dogsneverlie
    Dogsneverlie Member Posts: 164

Peggy - your reaction to Cipro just sounds AWFUL!!!!!!!

• pontiacpeggy

Dogs, it was. I was miserable. I can take only one antibiotic that I know of and won't take anything else without testing. I need cataract surgery and that ought to be interesting in figuring out what antibiotic can be used. :(

• Dogsneverlie
    Dogsneverlie Member Posts: 164

Oh man Peggy - that stinks.  You are such a caring and supportive person out here and I'm sure you are the same "in daily life" and not just out on the boards. I hope they take good care of you! 

AND I hope when you have that eye surgery you will still be able to be out here as much as you are while on your recovery - you are uplifting for us and would be missed for sure!  I don't post as much as I should but I read all the time.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

Atarax knocks me completely out.  I had hives so bad once and  the doctor didn't want to give it to me and finally I said, well if the itch in my crotch was in yours, you'd be writing it, so he gave it to me (this was over the phone).

• pontiacpeggy

Dogs, thank you. I decided I wasn't going to do a thing about my cataracts until after I get back from visiting my sons. Haven't been to visit them in 8-10 years. Hubby couldn't travel the last 4 years. They've come to visit. So this vacation is a huge deal for me. I'm thinking that maybe I can take care of them in July. Perhaps I should get things going now. Like everyone else here, I'm tired of doctoring. Just very worried about the antibiotic drops. Few doctors believe how allergic I am. I had a podiatrist say that surely I could use an antibiotic cream, it would just be on my skin. I was ready to murder him and won't go back to someone so stupid.

Your kind words mean a great deal to me.

BTW, Hubby and I are celebrating our 49th wedding anniversary today. Blows my mind! I'm off to celebrate with him in an hour or so. Hope I can some good pictures and I'll post one.

HUGS to all of you - you're the best!

• pontiacpeggy

Red, that's priceless! One way to make your doctor to get the point. Good for you!ThumbsUp

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540

Congratulations on your anniversary, Peggy! You must have gotten married when you were about 12 years old!!! Happy

• Mommato3
    Mommato3 Member Posts: 468

I just started on Anastrozole Monday. My MO was going to put me on Exemestane but it was going to cost $163 for a 90 day supply vs $16.50 for this one. I figured I'd give it a try. How soon will I see any SE IF I'm going to get them? I was on Tamoxifen for four months with no SE. Even the hot flashes went away after about a month. My MO doesn't think I'll have any Since I'm younger and very active.

Peggy, congrats on 49 years. That is impressive! My hubby and I just celebrated 15 years on the 8th.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Happy Happy Peg!!!!!

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

Happy days to you Peggy!  may you have a perfectly delightful day!

• pontiacpeggy

Thanks, Ruth and Iris! We turned 21 in the months following our wedding. No alcohol at the reception which was cake, ice cream and punch. And that was what we wanted. Simple. And I'd do the same again. Did have a nice day. We did NOT drink the whole bottle, only a little bit.

• pontiacpeggy

Mommato3, thank you. I've been on anastrozole for 7 months with no issues. That's sure a huge price difference. I would go on it thinking positive: that you will NOT have SEs. I think that helps. Congratulations on your 15 years. That's wonderful! HUGS!!!!

• dltnhm
    dltnhm Member Posts: 420

Congratulations on your anniversary Peggy!

Sounds like you've had a day celebrating Happy

Diana

• pontiacpeggy

Thanks, Diana. We tried. And I'm glad to have hubby around to celebrate with even if he is in a nursing home.

• 208sandy
    208sandy Member Posts: 582

Wonderful picture Peggy - Happy Anniversary!

• gypsyjo
    gypsyjo Member Posts: 112

I second the wonderful picture!!

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 933

Great picture Peggy. Heartiest congratulations on your aniversary! My husband and I celebrate our first anniversary on saturday. Thank you also for your encouraging words to us all. I too read more than I post.

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308

Congratulations Peggy! Lovely pic of you & DH. Cheers!! Dee

• farmerjo

Congrats, Peggy!!! Great pic!Hug

• pontiacpeggy

Aw, you guys are the best. This anniversary was so hard since it is the first with Chuck in the nursing home. I've had a lot of firsts since October. But at least I have him and he is "on" most of the time. He thought he was coming home tonight That was tough. Then when he realized he was staying the night he asked when I was picking him up tomorrow. He will probably have forgotten by then.

I couldn't manage without the support you all give me.

HUGS!

• pontiacpeggy

Reader, congratulations on your upcoming first anniversary! That's the hardest year - at least you haven't killed each other....a good start :)

I do try to be positive. It works for me and maybe it will work for others. I feel I get so much more from you all than I give. It's wonderful.

HUGS!

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 933

Thanks Peggy!