Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

capsules cost more. Every price the same OTC drug in tables VS capsules. You get more tablets for your money.

• lago

readhead is it pain or ringing in your ear?

• Kathy044
    Kathy044 Member Posts: 94
    Besides according to the bodybuilder websites 'capping' is not recommended for powders such as anastrozole because a 1mg dose is too small to get an accurate measure (fascinating reading though).

Kathy
  • proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

wonder if we can pass out dang pills on to the dumb body builders, can not fathom folks taking them for fun!  although I know they do.  My old PT told me they take maga doses but who knows

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540

Oh, if only one of 'our' SEs could be gorgeously toned muscles!!!!

• lago

I doubt they are getting the same SE. They are taking smaller amounts and have less estrogen to start with so they don't need it as much as women do.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540

I know....just kidding around.

• lago

Yeah I know Loopy

• jennie93
    jennie93 Member Posts: 263

Why on earth would bodybuilders take estrogen blocking drugs? What could it possibly do for them? All it's done for me is make me stiff, fat, depressed and every joint hurt. How could that be beneficial in any way??

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

apparently it helps them to bulk up~~

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

Lago, it isn't pain or ringing just a sudden annoying full feeling that bounces on and off.....but not like a pressure change in an airplane or anything like that.  We know its not the arimidex as I went off it for a month and half and the symptoms continued.  If it turns into pain, I will be going to Chicago or Rochester as I have dicked around with the "experts in Bloomington and Springfield long enough.

I think our arimidex should come with a body builder to compensate for what we have been through......l

• PeggyG6020
    PeggyG6020 Member Posts: 23

Thanks to whoever posted that their might be lactose as a filler in anastozole. I am allergic to lactose, and I have had hives on my chest since I started it. I have been taking benadryl, not really knowing what it is from. Thought maybe a delayed reaction from radiation, but I did not have anything but a little pink form the rads. I will call the pharmacy tomorrow to see what the fillers are in this generic-manufacturer TEVA. Probably why I have nausea, too. I already take Zofran for the Imuran I am on for my Crohns disease. This board has helped me with so many things. So glad it's here.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

PeggyG6020, check back a little and someone posted links to fillers in the various generics of anastrozole. I thought the Teva brand didn't have lactose but I could be mis-remembering. Good luck! HUGS!!!

• Kathy044
    Kathy044 Member Posts: 94
    Having problems on BCO replying with iPad but see section 4.4 regarding Arimidex and lactose sensitivity.

http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/Referrals_document/Arimidex_30/WC500109490.pdf

Kathy
  • suladog
    suladog Member Posts: 837

Peggy,

I stumbled onto this thread as I'm about to start hormone therapy and that has me terrified. I had bc 25 yrs ago ( triple negative) was given a poor prognosis, yet here I am. So, I recently had another primary breast cancer, this time ER positive and HER2 + 7mm no nodal involvement. I did 12 wks of taxol and herceptin, and now am doing herceptin only for the next 9 mos. Since I've been here with cancer before I wasn't scared of the other stuff, but I don't know anything about hormones, I was put into instant chemo pause. 25 yrs ago in my 30s and have had no problems from that. I really felt comforted seeing what you wrote about arimidex because everything I have read online has been terrifying me and I'm usually not a chicken.

My original mo in LA at Cedars Sinai said he'd put me on arimidex as it has less side effects, my onc here in SF suggested femara, but I know he'll go with whatever I decide to do. I'm feeling much better about arimidex since reading here and just have to convince myself that there are probably a lot of people out there taking this drug and getting along mostly very well and that the people who unfortunately have had problems are the ones who mostly are posting. I know that in the 25 yrs since my first diagnoses I never visited any bc websites since I was enjoying my life and any issues I had weren't worth posting about. So, I like hearing some positive stuff here. I may just sleep tonight ; )

• cwayman650
    cwayman650 Member Posts: 63

Suladog, Welcome to the group. It's a great group of women. I'm a 7 month survivor and the BCO site is a wealth of information. As far as making your decision regarding which medication to take, don't stress too much. I was really scared to start the meds also. Keep in mind that if you get side effects you can't live with, you can change to another med. I found that once I started the med, it got easier. I wish you the best of luck. God bless and hugs.

• pontiacpeggy

Welcome, Suladog. Wow, a 25 year survivor. How encouraging. Sorry you're walking that road again. I've been on generic Arimidex made by Teva since mid-October. No issues at all. Most of us don't have problems with AIs. Of course, some do and those women are the ones who post the most here, looking for answers and help to cope - all very understandable. And I'm not minimizing the problems they are having. Just saying that most of us don't post much since we don't have problems. Give Arimidex a try. Think positive. For most every medication we take, we don't go into it thinking we'll have a bad reaction, why do that with this one? And as CWayman points out, there are other choices. And even different manufacturers of the same medication.

For my part, I'd recommend going with the generic - anastrozole made by Teva. There seem to be fewer problems with the fillers used with the Teva brand. (And, surprisingly, fillers quite often are the cause of SEs ).

You did well the first time around and you'll do just fine this time, too.

HUGS!!!!!

• suladog

thanks so much for getting back to me, it really helps. You've all given me much more comfort and confidence going into this than I had before. I feel much better about the arimidex and I think I'll tell my mo up here that that is what I want to try at least first, hopefully I'll do well on it.

These boards have certainly shown the value of experience. I did a lot of speaking for the ACS back in Los Angeles, of course there wasn't any internet the first time I was diagnosed ( which was a good thing in my case as I am a big looker upper) I'm sure if there had been I'd have scared myself silly.

At the time no one had heard of triple negative , which was a good thing for me, but looking over my charts and labs and biopsies from back then, the drs at Ucsf informed me that's what I had back in 90.

I going to talk with one of my female drs on Wednesday, about all of this but I think I really want to do the armidex at least as a first choice.

• pontiacpeggy

Suladog, before starting Arimidex, I read ALL the postings on this thread. I didn't anticipate problems but I did want to know what kind of problems occurred AND what might be done. The best thing I came away with was get the Teva brand as it seems to cause the fewest bad reactions, such as allergies. (BTW you CAN specify the manufacturer with most pharmacies). The bone problems and that type are the drug itself I think but avoiding filler problems was something I definitely wanted to do since I'm sensitive.

I read Dr Susan Love's Breast Book cover to cover in one weekend right after I was diagnosed. Some of it is dated (new version due out this fall) but the information was vital to me. I can't change the BC I have but I can learn about it. Interesting that you weren't put on Tamoxifen last time. I have a neighbor 30 years out from BC and she was put on it. Maybe the thinking has changed a lot over the years about its usage.

One thing about generic Arimidex is that it is relatively inexpensive. My MO seems to think Arimidex and Femara are the same but chose the Anastrozole because it was older and cheaper. Works for me.

Stay positive. As you know that's the best thing you can do for yourself.

HUGS!!!

• SoLinda
    SoLinda Member Posts: 60

Peggy, just wanted to say congratulations and that the photo of you and your husband is lovely. It made me smile and put tears in my eyes. The people we love are just so important in our lives!

• pontiacpeggy

Thank you, SoLinda. I'm very lucky to have him in my life, if not our home. When he's "on" it brightens my day immensely. HUGS!!

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308

Suladog, Wow, 25 years! That's great & so encouraging for others, especially Triple -. Sorry you've had to come here, but BCO is a great forum for keeping up to date & sharing with others if you want to.

I am on anastrozole (arimidex) and am doing great with it. I had terrible SE's from a number of the other AI's due to fillers, I have an allergy to lactose, but my friend has been on Femera for 3 years & has never had a SE so I think it's very individual. Try one & if it too hard on your body, either try a different brand of the drug or try another drug. Don't suffer. Good luck, Cheers, Dee

• suladog

Peg,

Thanks for all the great info, definitely asking for TEVA brand. Fortunately my husband and I have great insurance through the Writers Guild ( we're screenwriters) they even paid for my penguin cold caps!!

I didn't get Tamoxifin 25 yrs ago as I was estrogen negative the BC was triple negative the chemo threw me into menopause anyway, I haven't had a period since the first George Bush was in office

• pontiacpeggy

Suladog, that was a "duh" moment for me. I knew you were triple negative and that Tamoxifen isn't given. Brain farts happen more often when you're over 65 - something to look forward toSinging Glad the info has helped. There are other ladies who are much more knowledgeable than me, especially about SEs.

That's wonderful that you have great insurance. Sure helps. What type of screenwriting do you do?

BTW, you may find that you have very mild hot flashes. Even I have had a few and I went into natural menopause 25 years ago. I never minded the hot flashes since I'm always cold.

HUGS!!

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484

http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/index.cfm

This is the link Peggy mentioned on the last page. Put in the generic name of your med and it will give you all manufacturers. Description of med and all fillers as well.

I does appear that Teva brand has lactose (lactose monohydrate).

• pontiacpeggy

Thanks, LuvMyGoats for finding that link. Appreciate it. I am lactose sensitive and, so far, it hasn't been an issue for me. It's interesting that I can tolerate half and half but not milk or ice cream. I don't drink milk but every so often I splurge and have ice cream (when I know I have time to recover :) ).

• armamp95
    armamp95 Member Posts: 14

i was very hesitant to start taking Anastrazole because of SE fears, but after many conversations, my MO persuaded me to try for awhile ... I have been taking it for almost two months, and have had absolutely no discernible SE's. I feel very lucky!

• puffin2014
    puffin2014 Member Posts: 979

Welcome Suladog, I've been on anastrozole about the same length of time as Peggy. I did have some aching in my knuckles and knees for about 3 weeks. I'd read that staying active and exercising helps so made sure I walked the treadmill at the Y and used the weight machines. And one day I stopped and realized, hey, my hands and knees don't hurt any more. I've also taken glucosamine chondroitin with MSM, have taken that for years. My oncologist had said weight gain was a possible side effect. I got a Fitbit One for Christmas, and between eating healthy and going to the Y, I didn't gain weight, I LOST 9 pounds!

• suladog

Puffin,

Thanks so much, you have certainly made me feel a lot better about all of this. As my husband says I am a tough cookie, and just did 12 wks of taxol herceptin, now on herceptin only so far so good. Thanks to all of you ladies here I feel I got this. I'm a big exerciser and normally a very active person, I'm now thinking of getting a Fitbit, it sounds like a great idea

• pontiacpeggy

Suladog, you'll sail through Arimidex. You've done so good thus far. HUGS!!!