Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308

Peggy, doesn't surprise me at all that you can tolerate cream but not milk or ice cream, if you check the lactose amounts you will see that milk & most ice creams are made with milk & they are very high in lactose. If you want ice cream try Gelato which is made with cream. Even though I am allergic (not intolerant, an actual allergy) but I can have very small amounts of cream or a spoon of gelato once in a while. Cheers, Dee

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,540

Fitbits are great. They definitely make you more accountable! I had to walk around and around in the house last night for a half an hour just to make it 'buzz' so I could go to bed.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

GG27, That's kind of what I thought. Thanks for the info. I"m really not that big into ice cream anyway. But I do like the occasional tiny Dairy Queen. Nice that you can indulge once in awhile. I don't think I could drink even a half glass of milk now and up until I was 21 I drank tons of it, no milk since.

Ruth, I can see you walking around the house to get your buzz. What a visual :)

HUGS!!

• ruthbru

It's all about the buzz! Happy

• pontiacpeggy

HAHAHAHA!!!

• nana3
    nana3 Member Posts: 7

Hi everyone. I am 4 years out taking Arimidex. I can stop it next February. I have had a persistent, at times bad cough for four years now. I always thought it had to do with the numerous surgeries I had but now realize it's prob the Arimidex. I also have a lot of hip and back pain. It is better when I'm more active. It's also much better to cough and hurt some than to have a recurrence of Breast Ca...

• puffin2014
    puffin2014 Member Posts: 979

Suladog: if you get a Fitbit, download the free app MyFitnessPal. It'll transfer your food diary info over to Fitbit, and has a better food data base. I also like to use the sleep function. It provides you with a graph of your sleep, with green bars showing up when you're restless and pink bars when you're awake. I've been diffusing essential oils, and it gives me good feedback on which ones are working better. The MyFitnessPal app also provides a detailed breakdown of your intake of whatever nutrients you want to track, like calcium, fiber, sodium, sugar, fat.

I was at the gym one afternoon, which has WiFi, so I had my iPod on and could see my FitBit results. It showed I only had about 100 calories left for the day. I was able to watch my "remaining calories" increase while I walked, so I just kept walking until I had enough to eat supper.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

sounds .like I should check out the fitbit~, I can see myselt walking on the treadmill so I could have dinner!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Suladog Welcome. I too am triple positive. Most women do fine on the AIs. I started with Teva and was on it for 3 years before I switched. In my case I was on of the rare one that got depressed on it (never had an issue with depression before) and my back pain got really bad. I've been on Exemestane (generic Aromasin) now for a year and don't have any aches. So keep in mind even if you have issues there are other AIs to try.

• Mommato3
    Mommato3 Member Posts: 468

I've been on Anastrozole for the last nine days. So far no SE. I'm a little stiff when I first get up or have been sitting a while but that could be from being thrown into menopause again. I have noticed a change in appetite. I'm not real hungry or don't feel like eating. Has anyone else had this problem? Right now I'm not too worried about it. I've only lost 11 of the 18 lbs I gained from chemo last summer.

• Mary59G
    Mary59G Member Posts: 52

Mommato3, I have been on Anastrozole for month so far, just stiffness and sore throat which I can handle. I don't have much of an appetite but that could be just me. I have been going to physical therapy and starting next week they are getting me into the pool twice a week. I'm hoping this will help with the aches and pains even though it's for strengthening my arm after the ALND. Has anyone else gone to physical therapy for any of your SE's?? Just curious.

Mary

• ruthbru

I didn't, but I think PT is a great idea!

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432

Yes, Mary, I did PT for terrible hip pain. Every time i hauled myself off my couch or out of the car, it was like standing on knives. PT fixed it right up. I'd been assuming it was an arimidex side effect, but it turned out to be ordinary everyday bursitis. I'm still doing some of the exercises because I really, really do not want that bursitis to come back.

Right now, I'm back at PT for a both hamstring and an achilles tendon issue. The hamstring stretches are really, really helping not only my specific issues, but also having a big effect on my arimidex-related stiffness. Here are the anti-stiffness ones I like best: Lie down, raise one leg, grab behind the thigh [with a towel if you can't reach], and straighten it. Gently, of course. Next, cross one ankle over the opposite thigh, grab that thigh, maybe with that same towel, and gently pull.

And, yes, I'm a PT regular and a huge fan. My therapist has fixed probably half a dozen or more aches and pains, and whatever she fixes stays fixed. I'm also starting yoga. Went once. Was planning to go again on Monday, but was absolutely mesmerized by the Baltimore riots and could not pull myself away from the TV. Next week, for sure!

• ruthbru

Yoga is also very, very good for you, both physically & mentally!

• meljo614
    meljo614 Member Posts: 136

Ruth, I like your new avatar.  Looking good!  Meant to tell you I tried yoga while in Mexico and really liked it.  It felt a little slow to me at first but as the poses got more challenging, I began to feel like I was really working.  I do need more of these calming, centering activities instead of the constant pounding cardio all the time. 

Momma, I had some appetite loss in the first few weeks on Anastrozole but that seems to have resolved.  I lost a couple pounds but am holding steady now. 

Peggy, awesome photo of you and your dear DH :-)

• pontiacpeggy

Thanks, Meljo. We had a nice time celebrating our anniversary.

• pontiacpeggy

I am soooo glad no one was around when I tried my Richard Simmon's Disco Sweat DVD for the first time this morning. I'm sure I had more than two left feet but got about halfway through (25 minutes). Thought that was about right for the first time. It was fun. I don't care if I lose weight but I sure would like to lose an inch or two on my waist. And I'm walking #1 doggie about a mile a day most days. She's getting her girly waist back anyway. BTW, I didn't gain weight when I started anastrozole. Or lose any.

HUGS!

• jennie93
    jennie93 Member Posts: 263

I was going to PT once a week for about 6 months, for the cording and tightness, it did help somewhat. The cording did not go away but it lessened a bit, and although the pain still remains, I did get most of my range of motion back. I have continued doing the stretches pretty regularly so it doesn't tighten back up again.

• ruthbru

I loved Richard Simmons when I first started. Great music, so encouraging, people of all ages/shapes/sizes working out & having fun.

I was always thinking 'cardio'; so when I first tried yoga, I thought, "Argh, when are they going to actually do something?" But I gave it a shot, and now I love it. It is so good for your balance, strength, core....and it makes you more aware of your body, centers your mind, isemotionally calming.....all good stuff.

• pontiacpeggy

I plan on doing both Richard and yoga. Right now I really want to lose some of my waist and maybe belly. That would be fantastic. Maybe I'll even learn to dance at pushing 70!!!

HUGS, Ruth!

• ruthbru

Never too old to try something new...in fact, that is what keeps you young! ThumbsUp

• pontiacpeggy

And Ruth, I am soooo motivated right now. Off to see the sons out West in June and I want to be able to keep up the demanding schedule of things they each have planned (one in SoCal the other in Washington). And there will be tons of walking. Since I've done nothing but care for DH for the past 4-1/2 years I definitely need to get in shape. Plus all my really cute tight jeans are too tight to breathe. I want sexy not strangulation :)

• ruthbru

Come over to "The Lets Post Our Daily Exercise' thread on the Fitness Forum if you want some exercise buddies. A great group of ladies in all stages of treatment and beyond, and at all fitness levels, who encourage each other in that area of recovery.

• pontiacpeggy

Good idea, Ruth. Thanks!

• Mary59G
    Mary59G Member Posts: 52

For sure the physical therapy is helping with my range of motion, next on to getting some strength back in my arm. I would love to try YOGA, just don't know where to go for that......I'll have to find one for sure.

Mary

• pontiacpeggy

Mary, get a yoga video. I have Rodney Yee's "Yoga for Beginners" by Gaiam. It is very good and a good friend who is a yoga instructor says it is safe. Never do anything that hurts. And for those of us at a certain age, don't stand on your head - too hard on the neck. I'm sure it would be more fun to go to a class. However, the one that's closest to me was terrible and I'm not willing to run around for a class. It does feel awfully good.

HUGS!!

• ruthbru

Denise Austin has some nice yoga DVDs, one I like.....although she does have a few goofy poses which I never do, even if I could get into them, it would take a paramedic to get me back out again! Loopy

• pontiacpeggy

That's funny, Ruth. I think I wouldn't to be calling 911 because I was in an inescapable yoga pose :)

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432

Jennie, are you seeing a lymphedema therapist? Mine had some specific massage techniques that got rid of my cording lickedly split. Of course, your cording might just be super stubborn, but if your PT isn't certified in lymphedma therapy, it might be worth your while to seek out one of these wonders.

• Chloesmom
    Chloesmom Member Posts: 626

I am doing chair yoga at theSilver Sneakers program at the YMCA. It has been wonderful for my range and very gentle.