Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Yours looks becoming in your avatar!! None of your friends would know you if you changed!! Another reason to continue!! 😍

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

HAHA!! True. Made it easy at my high school class' 50th reunion :)

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

Hi, I did go through chemo and lost all my hair. It is coming in, but will be many months until I will be able to color it again. I have also changed a lot of my ways, food, all personal products, and will change hair clolor. I have done a lot of research about products, hair coloring being one of them. I want to share that all, yes, all, hair color products that are sold at the drugstores, Walmart and Target have chemicals that to are bad! Many mess with estrogen! L'Oriel Preference is almost the worst! There is a thread called Hair Hair that tells about us girls who discuss our hair (future hair). One safe hair color is the one pictured here. I was told you can buy it at Sally's. Hair color made in the US is not regulated. The safest color comes from Europe, is organic, costs more, but is safe. Worth it!

• pontiacpeggy

Thank you for the information, MySunshine.

HUGS!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Thanks everyone. I always had thick hair but my hairline is receding. I have thinned but if I lost 1/3 of my hair from before chemo no one would notice.

Before chemo I had a long paigeboy. Never grew it back. short is so easy

• pontiacpeggy

Must be lovely to have such thick hair. I'm envious. I find long hair much easier. Mine's straight so unless I fuss with it everyday when it's short it looks yucky. Long I throw it into a ponytail or similar and off I go. I'm growing out my bangs again :)

HUGS!

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008

Does anyone have nausea and food aversion on anastrozole? I thought it was rads but even during my four day break over thanksgiving didn't help

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243

I have not however others will probably chime in if they experienced it. Has it been from the beginning or just started (as many SE's take their time rearing their ugly heads and then, may, subside). Sorry you are experiencing this and hope it gets better soon.

• pontiacpeggy

Molly, I haven't had any problems with nausea or food aversions either. Are you taking Fosamax? That's a bummer :(

HUGS!

• patoo

Had my third Fosamax this morning. No problem with nausea or GERD. Would it have happened immediately (from first time use) or might it start at any later time? If later, does it happen as soon as you take it or might it cause problems maybe later in the day? Just want to know what to expect from Fosamax, if anything.

• pontiacpeggy

Patoo, who knows how long it might (or might not) take to get GERD from the Fosamax. If you had GERD prior to Fosamax than it could bother it right away. I now take a Prilosec in the morning with all my other AM pills 30 minutes after my Fosamax. I also take a Pepcid at dinner. That pretty well takes care of things for me. My problems seem to stem from chocolate and sometimes coffee. I do make sure to have oatmeal on Fosamax days and that works well. You may not ever have problems if you take it properly and drink tons of water with it or in the next half hour.

HUGS!

• lago

patoo I got gerd pretty quickly (days) but I knew I would. I have an issue but I had to prove to insurance so I could go on one of the other treatments.

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 948

Molly50 I finished rad on October 26th. I developed food aversion during week 2. It continued for about 3 weeks after the end of radiation. Then I notice it was not quite as bad. I still am not desiring food but I will eat because I get hungry. I am pretty sure it is from the Rads but I don't think the Anastorozole is helping to improve it any. I am taking a wait and see approach. I do make sure I eat well. Not really interested in meat but will eat it if it is there.

• Molly50

That's really interesting, Brutersmom. Maybe it is the rads combined with anastrozole. Peggy, I don't take Fosamax. If this is an se of anastrozole then it just really got going about 3 weeks ago. This week has been the worst.

• Marie711
    Marie711 Member Posts: 35

I had a lot of hot flashes and trouble sleeping when I started in July I think, now the last couple of weeks I hardly have any flashes...and I'm sleeping a lot better. I don't know if this is normal for others or if I got a bad batch of pills this time. I did not like the side effects, but it showed me the pills were doing something.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

Molly I had mild nausea sensations to the Anasrazole fo rthe first month or so, then it subsided.....Food Aversion, God I wish.....

• patoo

Thanks lago. This was my 3rd week so guessing I may not have a problem with fosamax going forward. I make sure to drink lots of water with it and don't eat/drink anything else for at least an hour.

• pontiacpeggy

Molly, that IS discouraging. I just find it rather weird. It doesn't seem like a "logical" SE of anastrozole. But then again - what is logical about any of this? Hope it goes away soon.

Patoo, I only wait a half hour but I'm drinking water all that time.

HUGS!

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

i take my Nasty Soul :) in the morning. I am on an antacid too. I was on omeprozole but my Nephrologist switched me to lansoprozole to try to help my magnesium deficiency. I never thought to connect my lack of interest in food to the Anastrozole. Of course even it eating half of what I did before, I can't lose eight because of that drug. LOL oh well.

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

I am still sensitive to meat and some fruit...but it is from chemo. It is not worse with Arimidex.

• maxdog
    maxdog Member Posts: 47

I am.no.longer.on Anastrozole-stopped due to debilitating joint and bone pain. But, I was quite nauseous on and off while taking it. Now, on Letrozole, I am very nauseous and have serious aversions to meat. I have a few very small meals and have lost 5lbs in the past 2 weeks. Luckily I have a few to spare!

• patoo

maxdog, have you checked who the manufacturer is on both?

• Molly50

That is interesting maxdog. My sister thinks it is the rads and that I will feel better in 2-3 weeks. I will wait it out since it is not debilitating and is only worse with meat. If it doesn't get better than I will ask my pharmacy to switch brands and then ask my MO about switching meds if nothing else.

• pontiacpeggy

It's rather surprising how often changing manufacturers can make a difference. Fillers can be a real problem. Not saying there isn't something else going on but it's something easy to do.

HUGS!

• TikkasMom
    TikkasMom Member Posts: 32

Hello, I started Anastrozole a week ago after a DMX November 19 then a second procedure November 24 to remove/replace a blood clot plugged drain and flush out chest of blood & clots. I know it's descriptive but wanted to share the whole story.

Things I've noticed since starting Anastrozole:

Tired, occasional headaches, loose BM's, mild foggy/dizzy head and did I mention tired.

Does this sound like anything any of you have had?

All new to me. Thanks for your input and good luck to all.

• patoo

TikkasMom, yes those can all be SE's of Anastrozole. Your body has to get used to your estrogen draining out. For many of us the SE's only lasted a short time or became tolerable. Prayerfully that will be the same for you as well. I know you are tired but are you exercising, even a short walk daily. That does help. If you find you cannot tolerate it talk to your MO as there are others to try. Let us know how you make out. Hug

• TikkasMom
    TikkasMom Member Posts: 32

Thanks Patoo, I don't walk daily but I will. I do enjoy a walk in the country. Thank you and Merry Christmas

• bjb01
    bjb01 Member Posts: 46

was on Arimidex for 3 months and had some ugly SE. hip pain/trochanter bursitis that made it very difficult to sleep. hot flashes started out ugly, but he put me on clonidine (bp med) and it dropped the night sweats by at least 75%!!! The constipation is horrendous, and I was having a horrible time finding something that worked. actually never did :( at my first 3 month check up, my MO took me off for 6 weeks to see if the SE's stopped. it's only been 10 days, but it scares me to think that I'm not doing anything to prevent the recurrence. does that make sense? has anyone else ever felt like this? I was perfectly willing to deal with the SE's, but he feels confident that 6 weeks off is not a problem. Also, I feel strange about going to the 2nd choice of aromasin after the 6 weeks. somebody talk me off the ledge please :):)

• Molly50

Bjb01, one of the members here mentioned taking 250 to 500 mg of magnesium daily for constipation.  I have had success putting ground flaxseed in my cereal. I have found my SE's eased up after a few weeks but I am taking claritin daily to help with joint pain. I hope you feel better soon.  

• lago

bjb01 I went on a 5 week break after 3 years on Anastrozole due to SE. Switched to Exemestane (Aromasin). Doing much better. April will be 2 year on it.