Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

bjb-my MO has let me take a 6 week break, but he usually tells me two weeks or 30 days....It has something to do with the 1/2 life of the drug, among other things.

• bjb01
    bjb01 Member Posts: 46

lago, that is encouraging :) I hated stopping at all, but he felt that he couldn't be sure that the SE was from the Arimidex. I know that it was as I had none of them prior to taking the drug. just kind of a weird feeling not taking anything. I appreciate your input.

• bjb01
    bjb01 Member Posts: 46

molly50.....I tried everything, mirilax x 3 days, stool softeners, fleet enemas. just ugly. when he starts me back up again, I'll remember your advise, thanks SO much.....and best of luck

• maxdog
    maxdog Member Posts: 47

So interesting, I had diarrhea on Arimidex. After about 2 weeks I was completely regular-which had never happened in my life. I was always constipated.

• BookLady1
    BookLady1 Member Posts: 196

I've been on Arimedex since May 2015, with various side effects that seem to come and go. Thankfully, the constipation, which I suffered greatly with - tried it all, like you, bj - then it just stopped. I'm hoping the same for you, bj. ✌️❤️ Lind

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 948

I finished rads about 6 weeks ago and have started on Arimedex the day I finished. I continue to feel a lack of energy. I lost my desire for eating during rads. I am trying to decide it this is still recovery from rads or if it is the drug. Other then this fatigue and hair thinning, I have had not other side effects from either treatment. I do exercise regularly and I do force myself to eat a healthy diet with a limited amount of sugar and carbs so that I don't gain wait. Thoughts. Do I just need to give myself more time to get back to normal.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

BrutersMom, I started on Arimidex the day after I finished my rads. I was totally exhausted - mostly from the situation with DH but probably some radiation fatigue. It took me about 6-8 months before I felt merely tired. My stress level was extremely high due to DH. Don't discount stress as a factor in your fatigue. I've had no SEs and my diet hasn't changed. Definitely give yourself several months to a year. Experts say that part of the fatigue is just due to having BC and that it can take up to a year to get back to something approaching normal.

HUGS!

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Did take me about a year to feel better. Three years later I don't miss my pm nap tooooo much, LOL.

• brutersmom

Thanks I will not beat myself up to much. Tomorrow starts party week. I have cut out two 6 more to go. At least I am not cooking. Just eating and having fun. I don't drink much normally so that is not an issue. But I will have to watch those deserts or the pounds and inches that i have worked so hard to lose this year despite this disease will sneak back on.

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008

Brutersmom, Since I started anastrozole before rads I can't tell which is causing me to feel sick. My sister works at a cancer hospital and thinks it's rads. I am only 6 days post rads so I hope it subsides. I stopped taking Claritin because I am so dry. So far the joint pain is no bad.

• brutersmom

My lack of interest in food started with Rads I did accelerated and that hit about the 3 week mark with the fatigue. I noticed a big change for the better about 3 weeks after Rads. It continues to get better. I had a couple of weeks of difficulty sleeping when I first started anastorzole but that has improved. I am not used to feeling this way and I rarely get sick. Just want to get back to life before the diagnosis and my body is not cooperating. I take Claritin for allergies but if they are not flaring I get to dry. I don't have any joint pain that I didn't have before BC. So so far so good. My MO did have me start 2000mg of vitamin D3 before starting anastrozole to try to help prevent possible joint pain and bone loss. My levels were on the low side of normal.

• BookLady1

Thanks all of you for reminding me that we all heal at different rates; that chemo and radiation plus AI's are going to affect us all differently; that time is what we need. We have to be kind to ourselves. Hope you all have some peacefull time this weekend. ✌️❤️😘 Linda.

• pontiacpeggy

Linda, I think we are all so ready to get back to our "old" normal (which, sorry to say, isn't going to happen) that we forget how much we've been through and how it has changed us. We need to accept that we now have a "new" normal. That, especially if you've gone through chemo, it will take quite awhile to heal, get rested and discover this new normal. But we all get there - just not as fast as we want.

HUGS!

• BookLady1

Peggy, perfectly said! We all get there - {{hugs}} back to you for always being here to gently push us onward Lind

• pontiacpeggy

Lind, you're welcome. We're so blind-sided by being diagnosed with BC. We want it gone and we want to get on with our lives NOW. But it doesn't work that way.

HUGS!

• brutersmom

Peggy so true. I am finding that since I look fine most people around me seem to think I am back to normal. Both family and co-workers. The expectation is there that I can do all the same things that I could do 4 months ago. One thing I did do is I have someone coming this Thursday to give the main part of my house a good cleaning for the holiday week.

• rosesrx
    rosesrx Member Posts: 264

Amen to that Brutersmon. I look around at all the things that need to be done to clear out my Mom's place to get ready for reno starting the first of the year, I am going to have to hire some hs kids and direct the show.

My coworkers think all is back to normal since I am not huffing and puffing.

• pontiacpeggy

BrutersMom and RosesRx, I was retired when cancer knocked on my door (I should have slammed it shut) so I didn't have co-workers to deal with. I did hire someone to clean house before my Lx. That was nice. Even without the aftereffects of chemo, we all are wiped out from the mental stress and treatments we've gone through. Eventually we'll probably get our energy back but not overnight. I suspect I was depressed (that's a "duh") and that that is rather common. Depression can wear you out.

Just do what you can (and want) and have others do what you can't.

HUGS!!

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

I still get tired very easily. By Friday I am exhausted even going to bed at 830 or 900. A. I part of it is my desire to do everything I did 9 months ago. I do take a sick day about every 3 weeks just to rest. I also have a detailed planner of what I need to do daily at school.The chemo brain is not totally gone. But I do feel good most of the time and am happy where I am now, so all is good.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

I think my biggest complaint is memory sucks and I don't retain what I learn as easily. Not sure if it's chemo or chemopause but it is annoying.

• brutersmom

I am self employed which makes it hard to take time off. One thing have gone through all the cancer treatment is it has forced me to prioritize and be more organized. I am still several years from retirement and honestly I love what I do and probably won't officially retire until I cant do it anymore.

• tjh

I still love teaching. I love teaching the kids no one else wants on their class. I have just gotten to the point after this year that I want to be Grandma and HS marching band Mom. I am going to tutor and mentor at school to stay connected.

• spookiesmom

Was band mom through middle and HS. Was soooo much fun!! She still plays. Bagpipes and flute.

• tjh

My DD is a percussionist. She took piano for 5 years, now plays for enjoyment. My goal is to get the Marching Cardinals to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade while she is HS. It is going to be fun

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

My memory is totally going and I didn't do Chemo at all. It is the Estrogen Sucking drug....

Starting to think it is sucking the life right out of me......

• pontiacpeggy

TJH, that would be awesome getting your DD and band into the Macy's Christmas Parade. Where are you in Wisconsin? My BIL is in Oconto Falls.

Red, Don't worry. You're probably just being in touch with your inner blonde! I think we all have those times when the brain is absolutely not in touch with anything we thought was reality.

HUGS!

• spookiesmom

Inner blonde!!! Love that!!!! I always said I have blonde roots. Well, I used too, when I was born!!!

• pontiacpeggy

Spookie, Most of us have inner blondes. And it's so much better than having a "senior moment." One of the aides at the nursing home where DH was had one of those moments and I said she was having a blonde moment. She cracked up - she was black! Blondeness does not discriminate Nerdy

HUGS!

• tjh

Chippewa Falls...90 miles directly east of Minneapolis-St Paul...1 of my daughters and her family live in the cities so it is had to visit when DD had orthodontist and cleft palette appointments and for fun with family.

• spookiesmom

brain farts too. 😜