Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Still not sure if the boobie prizes were worth it. I'm thinking that maybe granite counter tops in my kitchen might have been nice instead
    Winking

• TwoHobbies
    TwoHobbies Member Posts: 1,532
    Three months post chemo I definitely felt like a punk rocker and I took a picture of me in a white tank top and a spikey dog collar necklace. Ha ha, not my personality at all. By 6 months, my hubby and friend said I looked so young! Woo-hoo, that almost made me want to keep that short cut, but honestly, living in Chicago, I was cold all the time!

Yes, Tjh, I calculated the benefits of losing your hair as saving on shampoo, conditioner, cuts, color. Also getting fresh hair with no frizz and damage, and finding out how you look with short hair. I had long hair since I was three, so it was eye-opening to find I might look younger and good with short hair.

But yes, Lago, it would be nice to have spent it on something else, like a nice vacation! My stupid health insurance company likes to post how much I've spent of my own money on the front page. I always think, there goes my vacation, or there goes my siding, or there goes my son's college education. But you've got to play the cards you're dealt. Could be worse. Many people can't afford the medical bills, I remind myself.
  • lago

2hobbies think of it not as money you spend but as money the damn insurance company didn't pay Happy

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Ladies, I am so glad I'm a senior citizen especially when I hear what your insurances don't pay. It's criminal. I have great Medigap insurance and have not had to pay a penny other than my prescription copays for anything with my BC. DH had the same insurance that went into effect 9 days before he had a massive heart attack (and lived). We paid nothing in the following 5 years except again for his prescription copays. (Until he went into the nursing home. After he went on Medicaid, we had a patient "pay" amount but $180/month is a lot better than the whole nursing home bill!).

HUGS!

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

My DH is retired Army officer so we have Tricare. Our out of pocket was $3000.00, I shudder to think of women who are under or uninsured. This would completely bankrupt them.

• pontiacpeggy

TJH, I agree - it must be awful for women facing such a devastating diagnosis and then facing either not being able to pay for treatment or being ruined financially.

HUGS!

• auroaya
    auroaya Member Posts: 784

Ii just became eligible for Medicare under SSDI and woul love someone who can explain it to me as I'm confused please PM if you can hel

• pontiacpeggy

Auroaya, Why don't you call your local Area Agency on Aging? They should have someone there who can guide you through the maze. When Chuck & I signed up, we went to the Michigan Blue Cross office since we were sure we wanted to go with them. A salesman (who was not employed by Blue Cross), told us we wanted the Medigap Plan F and we'd never pay for anything - and we haven't paid for anything. We still had to pay for Medicare Part B (which is taken out of our Social Security Checks) and had to purchase separate prescription drug coverage.This is NOT the cheapest option. I am not familiar with Medicare Advantage plans so can't speak to them. I just know that I can go to any doctor who takes Medicare and do not need a referral. Hope this helps a bit.

HUGS!

• auroaya

Thank you Peggy I'll call someone Monday because the deadline is December 7t

• pontiacpeggy

Yeah, time is short, Aruoaya.

HUGS!

• gypsyjo
    gypsyjo Member Posts: 112

auroaya, This website will get you to the trained volunteers for each state that can help you walk through your options and sign you up for medicare. https://www.shiptacenter.org/

• auroaya

thank you gypsijo I'll try i

• pontiacpeggy

Jo, I should have known that you'd have that information right at your finger tips. When you've had to navigate the system like you have, you learn a whole lot!

HUGS!

• lago

Under insured! I was diagnosed 5 months after I lost my job. My husband had already lost his. I didn't have any health issues and hardly used insurance. Back in 2010 there was no "Obamacare" Cobra was going to run out before I finished treatment. I was "lucky" that my state had a high risk pool insurance and room in it. But it still cost us close to $2000 a month for almost a year! Granted it was cheaper than no insurance. It just drained us financially.

I know some women who lost their homes! The financial cost of cancer is horrible.

• pontiacpeggy

Lago, I can't begin to imagine the stress you were under at the time of your Dx. I'm impressed that you had the money to pay out that amount of money.

HUGS!

• april25
    april25 Member Posts: 367

I can't tell if my hair is growing in more slowly or not... But my hair had started thinning years ago, so I'm just happy to have some hair growing in. More worried about it being so short for so long, since I've always been used to longer hair (until it started to thin and then fall out when it reached shoulder length!). My wig can be a bother to wear, but it's so nice and thick it makes me look like a kid almost! At least it's easier to wear now that the weather is cooler...

I need to pick a new insurance, like NOW, since my old carrier has stopped covering individuals (like me). I wish I were more organized... I have no idea about what I'm paying out of pocket and which plan is best. I'm mostly picking so that my MO and BS and PCP are still in-network... but I'm going to have to change other doctors, which is a bother. I really, really wish healthcare reforms were ahead, instead of maybe getting rolled back... The costs are just so high here in the US... and the coverage is less. It's really too bad.

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771

Peggy yes it is the estrogen depletion that is causing the hair thinning. Most of the SE from this drug is due to the lack of it. Basically it ages you just like natural aging. Fortunately we have some methods of dealing with them....

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 948

I am wondering what methods people have found work best for thinning hair due to hormone therapy?

• pontiacpeggy

I haven't bothered. I suspect that I'm not losing more hair than I had been prior to Arimidex. I'm 70 so thinning was occurring somewhat.

HUGS!

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

For starters, don't wash it as often. I've discovered on this drug, my hair doen'st need washing more than once or twice a week. Some are using Minoxidal or Rogaine. Others are using low phosphate shampoos.

• pontiacpeggy

Red, I rarely wash my hair more than 3 times a week. But that's a good thought. I use L'Oreal shampoo and conditioner for colored hair since I color my hair (and have no desire to see what color my hair actually would be if I went "naked.").

HUGS!

• Kendrasue
    Kendrasue Member Posts: 107

Hi, PontiacPeggy! We haven't yet met, however I've been lurking on the Arimidex thread for so long that I feel like I know you! Everyone here has posted information that I've found bery helpful. You mentioned you color your hair, and I was wondering if you might share the brand of the hair color you use? I had been using a semi permanent color--Natural Instincts--and stopped when diagnosed. I want to resume coloring, but now am reading mixed reviews about safety and even if Natural Instincts still does a good job. Any information you could give would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

• pontiacpeggy

KendraSue, Sure be glad to and so nice to meet you! I don't know if you did chemo or not (you might want to make your up-to-date profile public - that would help). I didn't have to have chemo and never stopped coloring my hair (have for at least 20 years). I use L'Oreal Preference 9G - a golden blonde. I'm sure I have gray in my hair but I'm not interested in finding out. I like me blonde! I haven't changed much of anything since my dx. Only thing I did do was add folic acid as a supplement since I didn't intend to stop having my nightly glass of wine. I believe that my BC was brought on by the extreme stress of being the sole caregiver for my DH. I did do HRT for a couple years though I really didn't want them or need them but that was when they first came out and my PCP thought they would be beneficial. But that was 20+ years prior to dx.

I would guess the decision to color or not is quite individual and how you feel about the research on hair coloring. It would seem that I don't give it a lot of weight. You may feel differently. I'd say, if you want to color your hair, go right ahead. Just remember: that's me and my very unsupported advice :)

HUGS!

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

I think on the Pinktober thread there may be some info on coloring products, which are less likely to have nasty stuff in them. Or if you have a beauty supply store close, maybe they could help.Or try a search? My hair has been white for about 20 years I'm 67. I don't know what would look good on me now. LOL

• pontiacpeggy

Spookie, HAHAHA!! I just can't imagine me with gray or white hair - it's beyond me. And since I see no reason to stop coloring, I won't be faced with reality :)

HUGS!

• lago

Brutersmom I use Minoxidil. Mens 5% once a day. Seems to reduce the shedding and I do have some new growth. It can take 3-6 months to start noticing a difference. I purchase generic at Costco. Much cheaper. My photo is from October this year.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243

lago, if that's how you look shedding, shed away - that hair style suits you - you look great!

• pontiacpeggy

I'll second that. Lago, you DO look good!

HUGS!

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Peg, my hair was brown. It started greying out in my early 40s, so I frosted it. Couldn't see the grey/white for years. Then there wasn't enough brown to frost. Had to give up. I don't mind, figure I earned every last one. 😜

• pontiacpeggy

Spookie, I'm sure you did earn each one. Each of us chooses the hair color route that we are most comfortable with: me - color; you - au naturel :)

HUGS!