Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Boy, that really sucks, Molly. Like there aren't enough SEs from ESDs without adding that one.

HUGS!!

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 948

Lil-Rhody Hobbies are good. I am not a fan of crocheting. Learned it from my grandmother as a kid but just never took to it. Tried but not my thing. I love to sew. I have done some simple stuff lately. I lost 25 lbs before BC. Been in a holding pattern weight wise with a little slipping due to the holidays and some very good food. Need to get back on track. I need to rethink my summer wardrobe. My husband is facing some job issues and he provides the insurance coverage since I am self employed. I am thinking about plastic surgery in the spring if I still have decent insurance. My RO recommended that I wait until April so that I am completely healed. My cloths need to be loose because the breast cancer side really shrunk with radiation and the size difference it significant. I tried a pad and because of my new shape it does not stay in place. All this stuff seems to take the fun out of making clothes because the tops do not fit right. And I hope to lose some more weight even on the ESD. On a bright note exercise has shrunk my waist line 2 inches this last month. Wish it could do the same for my larger breast.

Now I need to see some sunshine soon. Tired of rain. 65 through yesterday. Today the 30's damp and looking at a winter weather advisory for tonight. Need some sunshine.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

Estrogen loss is one of the main causes of bladder pain, atrophy and some incontinence......DAMN ESD>>>>

• pontiacpeggy

Red, already had the leaky pee :( If I remember to do my Kegel exercises it's much better. But I've had many years of practice since hitting menopause at 45.

• Simplicity
    Simplicity Member Posts: 723

Evening ladies.

Just started my Arimidex tonight. Not looking forward to this. Hoping I adjust ok. Still having fatigue issues from everything else, but have felt a bit better day by day, sometimes.

Hope everyone's Christmas was good. I keep forgetting that just happened lol Really didn't feel like Christmas with the various issues lately.

Single mom with 3. 21b, 17g, 14b and one would think them being a bit older would be more advantageous. Ahh. Do I ever wish.

So thought I'd check this thread out. Hate to hear of all the SE's some are experiencing. Just got my bone density scan today. Should know something by the end of the week I hope?

Hope all have a pleasant evening. I'm going to try to catch up a bit better.

• pontiacpeggy

Simplicity, just a reminder that many people do NOT get SEs from AIs. Those posting here with SEs really do need help and this, obviously, is a great place to get it. Don't anticipate problems. I take my anastrozole in the morning. When I first started reading this thread well over a year ago, someone mentioned that it can keep you awake. Didn't need that, so do the morning thing. Believe me, it does not keep me awake! You can probably count on fatigue for several more months. Breast cancer itself causes it (probably helped along by the emotional toll it takes). But you should be feeling pretty darned good soon. Merry Christmas!

HUGS!!

• Simplicity
    Simplicity Member Posts: 723

Haha! Wish I had read or joined in this morning. Just took it not 20 minutes ago.

Thank you. I certainly hope I don't get SE's. I have done well so far with everything else. Feel lucky I suppose. Appreciate your reply!

Hugs to you too :)

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 948

Peg is right. I am past the 2 month mark and no real side effects that I can directly link to the drug.

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

I usually take my pill in the morning. I find if I forget, I tend to get a bit crabby by evening. That's not my nature so sometimes it is a clue for me to go check my pill container to see if I took my medicine. Not sure if it's real or just in my head but has happened a number of times.

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

I take mine at night...I have no problems sleeping. My main SE is a little joint and bone pain. I find that walking helps and taking name brand Arimidex helps A LOT. I need to take an Aleve 1-2 times a week. I had my bone scan after I had been on Arimidex 3 months...all is good so I do not need bone meds right now. Recheck in a year. I do take extra calcium 1200mg and vitamin d...1000mg for my bones. But after chemo the Arimidex is not too bad.

• pontiacpeggy

TJH, I take Fosamax 70 mg once a week. Plus 3000 mg of Vitamin D3. I don't tolerate calcium. Works for me. I'll have another bone scan in about 10 months.

HUGS!

• janett2014
    janett2014 Member Posts: 2,950

PontiacPeggy, my MO said the Arimidex might make me sleepy so I take it at night! Wow, we all get such conflicting advice I guess it's just trial and error to figure out what works for each person.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Yup I was told to take it in the morning so it wouldn't affect my sleep

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

I tried both, for me either was ok. I take it at night now, just easier to remember.

• pontiacpeggy

My MO didn't say anything about when to take it. I just went by what I read here. I do mornings because they are more structured for me. My cat knows when it is 6 o'clock and I'm not allowed to sleep beyond then or she would just wither away from starvation! Probably whatever works best is what you should do :)

HUGS!

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008

I take mine at night. No problem sleeping and my joint pain has pretty much disappeared. I had a dream (nightmare) last night that my hair was falling out!

• pontiacpeggy

Molly, yikes! That certainly is a nightmare. Glad the joint pain is nearly gone.

HUGS!

• Rosiesride
    Rosiesride Member Posts: 197

not sure if I asked this question...is Prilosec a drug that would interfere with calcium absorption...a concern while on anastrozole as I am on high doses of Prilosec for silent reflux...LPR...thanks if anyone can help! Rosie...Happy New Year!!

• pontiacpeggy

Rosie, I don't think so. I take Prilosec and Pepcid both. I do take Fosamax also. Mind you, I don't really *know.*

HUGS!

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008

Rosie, ask your pharmacist.

• pontiacpeggy

Molly, good going. Where was my head???? Must have left it in bed this morning. Do I look funny???

HUGS!

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

Rosie, yes. They actually do affect calcium absorption. I was switched from omeprozole to lansoprozole by my Nephrologist because I am always low on magnesium. And lansopronzole causes less loss of magnesium. And if you lose magnesium it takes calcium with it which affects the bones. And yes, anastrozole also affects calcium loss. So the combination needs to be watched. However, my Dexa was actually better last year than my last one was right after chemo. I had actually gained density. So i am only osteopenic. LOL. So that is one thing to make sure all your doctors are on the same page with it.

BTW, when taking calcium pills, don't bother with the expensive 1000 mg calcium pills. Your body can only absorb 600 mg of calcium at a time. So take 1 of the 600 2x a day instead.

• Pearl99
    Pearl99 Member Posts: 1

TikkasMom - I have been on Anastrozole for about 10 months now and never attributed my short snappy attitude towards my husband with taking this pill. That's the only side effect I've experienced so far, but am concerned with the fact that it decreases bone density, since I have osteoporosis. Yikes! I sure don't like taking any pills even though the Anastrozole is so tiny and cute. I'm counting the days until I can no longer take it - only 1,521 more. Just like you, after I snap at my husband I feel terrible and apologize. I'm really trying to control this negative reaction and I hope that things smooth out for you, too.

• pontiacpeggy

Pearl, Are you having hot flashes? What I'm thinking is you are being blessed with a second round of menopause. BTW, it is really helpful if you fill out your profile and make everything public. If you include your location, you might even find BCO'ers nearby.

HUGS!

• Valentinebambino
    Valentinebambino Member Posts: 13

You can have a second round of hot flashes/menapause ? Oh crap, im.scheduled for a full hysterectomy next week due to simple hyperplasa possible do to tamoxifen. I had horrid hot flash after my last surgery of thyroidectomy poor nurse had no idea what was happening. My.husband says " shit she is having a hot flash she needs a fan!" I am worrying over this upcoming surgery , stressing big time, but hoping I'll feel better.

• pontiacpeggy

ValentineBambino, Yeah. Isn't that exciting? Some women are quite bothered. Others like me, don't have any problems. I didn't have much of a problem first time around. Guess it depends on how much estrogen your body has been making and all those other factors nobody can figure out. BTW, you might update your profile with your diagnosis, nodes, and treatments and make them public. Always helpful. Good luck next week!!

HUGS!!

• Jerseygirl927
    Jerseygirl927 Member Posts: 260

I have had very little side effects so far, on this since May 2015. I once in awhile get a strange twinge or creak or ain't, but if it's gone after a week I chalk it up to something I ate. I do take clariton daily with it, so if that's helping,I'm good with that.

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

I also take my calcium twice a day...I also take vitamin d...it helps with the calcium absorbing.

• marilyn7
    marilyn7 Member Posts: 4

Hi everyone, I finished 5 years of Anastrozole 3 months ago. I'm looking for a thread that talks about how soon I will get back to a new, 'new normal'. Any thoughts??

As for the women just starting out, hang in there. My biggest side effect was (and still is) vaginal dryness and a bit of atrophy. Very frustrating, but now that I'm through with the Meds my onc and gyn have both agreed to topical estrogen. I start tonight. It was a long and difficult decision but it's been a rough road and I need some relief.

As for the joint pain, it lessened almost to the point of nonexistent after a few years. I know that seems a long time if you are right in the midst of it, but it will hopefully pass.

And yes, I did have some bone loss. I take a mega-D every other week and bone scans annually

• pontiacpeggy

Marilyn, what do you think will change now that you are off anastrozole? I've only been on it for 14 months. I hope the estrogen cream helps. That has to be difficult.

HUGS!