Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• Valentinebambino
    Valentinebambino Member Posts: 13

My breast cancer was estrogen positive. I was 41when diagnosised. The 2nd chemo stopped my periods for good, I thought but a few months ago a had one. After tests , and my prior meds ( tamoxifen aboutt 2 yrs on it) decided best for full hysterectomy. I had horrible , violent hot flashes. Gapentin was prescribed and helped. The hot flashes were still bad so I started taking black cohosh which helped considerably. I haven't been taking black cohosh in last few months , my onco tested my hormones to see if I was postmenopausal so could switch me to anastrolzole ( sp?)which I have been on for 7 months. I didn't take Gabipentin other nite and wow hot flash. I had weened myself down to 1 in am and 1 in pm. Thought was thru that ,but apparently not. Just worried more menapause is to come. ? And honestly my evil stepdaughter freaked me out with hair thing I already have the evil witch chin hairs! Other things she said was great your moods are already horrible now probably.be worse. We don't get along, she is 17 and she thinks it is her house, puts.me down alot, takes my things without asking and comes and does as she pleases. I don't need her attitude but I don't say much. I'm bottling my feelings and know I will blow up.soon. And, no ,my husband ( our 1yr anniversary is 26th) doesn't say much to her cause he says doesn't know how to handle her moods. Help , help, I don't need extra stress before surgery in Jan.!!

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243

Passive Agressive - don't respond to her at all will drive her crazy. She's 17 so this is probably normal as you have taken a piece of her dad's heart and he is not focused on her alone. You cannot control her so leave the room when she starts. Lock on bedroom doorknob? Use it with her on outside you inside. Get headphones and put on music because she will try to get to you through the door.

Yes, I have chin hairs. A simple razor takes care of that - easy.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Thinning hair may be more like it. Ignore her the best you can. Contrary to her belief, she DOESNT know it all.

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 948

Valentinebambino my heart goes out to you. I lived with that type of attitude fueled by the biological mom for about 11 years. She would be mean and nasty when my husband was not around and sweet as pie when he was there. Try to ignore her as best you can. However you could consider telling her your only having a hysterectomy not a sex change so you will be fine.

Come here for support. Can you update your profile and make it public. I have been on anastrozole for 2 months. The only change I have noticed is hair thinning and dryer skin. I had hair on my chin from before CA. No other side effect so fare. Most people can't tell my hair has thinned. I am not even sure it is from the drug or the stress of CA anymore because I have started to seeing all these little stubble's on the top of head like new hair coming in. My hair grows fast to so time will tell.

• spookiesmom

WOOHOO HAPPY DANCE YAY!!!!!!!

I'm gonna get a late Christmas present in March!! Yippee!!!!

Met my new MO today. Very nice, very thorough. Spent almost an hour with me. Asked me how long is been on this med. How long had I been told to stay on it? 10 long years. He said current research says 3 years on, then tamoxifen for several more, maybe life. Then he said........ When I come back in March I can make the switch.

Oh My Dog

I floated home. I hope my bones stop hurting, some days my feet feel like they will shatter. And maybe my hair might get thicker. 😍😍.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Spookie, That's wonderful news. I haven't heard anything about taking anastrozole for only 3 years then Tamoxifen. Interesting. Merry Christmas!

HUGS!!!

• TikkasMom
    TikkasMom Member Posts: 32

Does anyone find that they pee a lot on Anastrozole?

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

Tikkasmom, That is so funny that you ask that! I do seem to pee a lot, but thought it was because I try to drink a lot of water! I never thought of this!!! I don't worry about it.......just go when I need to! Of that is my only SE, I'll take it! :)

• spookiesmom

• pontiacpeggy

Spookie, lovely card. Thank you!

HUGS!

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008

Great news spookiesmom. I wish I could read what he got that from. 

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Yay Spookie

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

Yay Spookie-----my MO said if I get to 2 years, I can do three on Tamoxifen if I want to try it.....so I am crossing my fingers I get to June without much more going wrong..

• new2bc
    new2bc Member Posts: 254

My oncologist said he would switch me back to Tamoxifen after 1 year of Arimidex because I recently had total hysterectomy plus ovary removal. There will be less side effects on tamoxifen except blood clots. There will be less bone loss also. I remember my feet were hurting in the morning when I would wake up when I was on Tamoxifen. I didn't know that switching to Tamoxifen is a Xmas gift!

• Charlie47
    Charlie47 Member Posts: 1

how doo you get to more recent posts? The ones I am viewing are from 2012 not that they are not informative. I started Arimidex in August, 2015. I, like alot of you have other things going on in my body. I do have arthritis in my feet and some days can hardly walk when getting out of bed. The more I move the better. I feel like I live on ibuprofen . Sometimes bad enough to take a Norco. I hate that I have to do so many drugs. I also have mood swings and get frustrated easily. (Working on that)

Wondering if anyone has experienced mood swings.

Many good thoughts to all

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

Charlie, just go to "last page" in the listing at the bottom of the page after the last posting and before the add post navigation buttons at the very bottom. (The one listing the page numbers is the one you need). Once you read the last post, go all the way to the bottom and navigate your way to your next choice. IE: Private message, Favorites. Etc. Once you do that, it remembers where you left off reading and you can pick up from there the next time. Be watchful though! Some boards fill 3 or 4 pages every day. Other boards will move more slowly. If you make it a habit to look for "last page" box you will be able to add to the latest posts. I'm not sure how clear I was, but I hope that helped.

• spookiesmom

I've been on arimadex almost 3 years. I was originally told 10 years on it. And there are days I wonder about making it to tomorrow with it. But if that's what is necessary to keep ca away, I figured I'd deal. My original MO said if I could make it 3 years with no recurrence I had a pretty good chance.

So yes, I consider this a Christmas gift.

• pontiacpeggy

My MO said 5 years and after that we'll re-visit the plan. I will be moving this summer so will need to find a new MO, that will be hard.

HUGS!

• spookiesmom

Maybe not Peg. After Humana kicked my original MO out of network, (and that's a huge practice) my PCP sent me to another. I liked her well enough, but there was something about the practice that just didn't work for me. Whe I asked a question to be sent to doc, and never got an answer, I asked my new PCP for referral. So far PCP has been excellent, hope this MO is too.

Ask your current Drs for recommendations for your new area. They might be the best resource.

• pontiacpeggy

Spookie, that's what I plan to do. Plus I have my DIL as a resource since she had colon cancer. Having to find 4 docs is challenging. I feel I need to keep following up with the RO and BS, as well as the MO and PCP. Amazing what the right set of docs can do for you, isn't it? I've been exceptionally pleased with mine.

HUGS!

• vettegirl
    vettegirl Member Posts: 136

I did Aremidex last Dec until this past Oct-so 10 months.  The last two months on it, the side effects were getting to me some so when I went to see my MO, he switched me to Letrozole.  OMG!  I am huring so bad-my hands are horrible, my feet, my right leg hurts so bad I can barely drive, my right arm....ugh...everything aches and hurts.  So-I called MO last Friday and am going back to Aremidex.  I am on a one week break right now-but still hurting pretty badly.  I honestly think chemo was easier for me.  Hope this gets better.

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

I will be changing MO as well, as I am moving in January. I always look up the practice and the physicians and see where they went to school, where for residency and if they did a Fellowship......very important. Then, if credentials are good, I will see how comfortable I am once I meet the doctor.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

vettlegirl I find Examestane much easier than Anastrozole. Maybe give that a tr

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

Vettegirl---you and me must be kin ---I lasted 4 days on Letrozole and went running back to my Arimidex, but even after a two week wash out-I still feel like I never got back to where I was before I tried the Letrozole.......It WAS EVIL HELL.and INSTANT.....

Am having pain and depression and mood swings now, but it took 1.5 years to get to me......

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

Always check the Board of Medical Examiners reports too. In my state, you can look at their videos of the hearings as well as any final letters of reprimands, etc. Final findings can take awhile so the agendas and videos can be revealing (I found out after I had been seeing a doctor for awhile and had questions about his practice - Had checked him out but went back and took another look).

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Safe Travel and a Happy, Healthy New Year to all!

• Pheasantduster
    Pheasantduster Member Posts: 1,986
    Thank you, tjh and right back at you and yours.
  • pontiacpeggy

Merry Christmas to all my ESD friends!

HUGS!

• Lil-Rhody
    Lil-Rhody Member Posts: 5

Hi everyone~

I am new to this discussion board (actually any discussion board) so please bear with me. I have been taking Arimidex for a little over a month now. Up until this past Sunday everything was fine then all of a sudden I have had a dull headache, diarrhea and nausea. I know that these are some of the side effects but will they subside at some point?

• pontiacpeggy

Lil-Rhody, welcome! You'll find answers to many of your questions right here. I'm sorry that I cannot help you since I've had no problems with Arimidex. While waiting for someone to chime in, would you please fill out your profile as completely as possible and make it public? That would be a huge help. I do have questions for you though: Has anything changed in your life? New foods? Too much Christmas indulging? Added stress? Of course, it is possible that you are experiencing SEs. Hope they go away!

HUGS!