Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

pboi...I notice a significant decrease in joint and leg pain. Now my legs/knees are sore for a few steps in the AM or after I sit for awhile. On generic I hurt all day even taking 2 Aleve AM and PM. Now just need 1 occasionally.

• tjh

I have very few SE since changing to name brand.

• tjh

Octogirl.....I would check your scale.

• 208sandy
    208sandy Member Posts: 582

Carolyn - go to your MO or PCP on Monday first thing - you may need hydration through an IV - neither my MO or my PCP allow Immodium - they suggest the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, dry white toast) and it actually works (for me) - when I was on Arimidex I didn't have diarrhea.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243

TTfan, many on here, even recent posts, report much better results on name brand by manufacturer AstraZeneca. Others have reported better results just changing manufacturers with Teva being highly recommended. The generics are the exact same active ingredient, arimidex, as the others but the problem seems to be in the fillers used by different manufacturers.

Most, though not all report weight gain on arimidex/anastrozole, especially around the middle. I personally believe that once you start taking this med, even if you exercised routinely before, you have to up that routine and be more vigorous and steady about it. Plus cut way back on soda, starchy foods and added sugars. JMHO.

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

Prayers going up for you Brutersmom!

Octogirl, I have been on Arimidex for 5 months with no weight gain. ???

TTfan, I think I responded to you on another thread, but will here anyway. I do get my Arimidex from Astra Zeneca. I have back aches and get tired, but I really cannot blame the medicine. I am 67 and figure I would have these aches anyway. There is nothing that would make me stop taking this drug....it is too important. I am very active and feel that exercise and eating healthy is an important part of keeping side effects of anything tolerable.

• patoo

mysunshine, you are very active and soon will be even more so! I don't think you have to worry about weight gain. Hug

• mysunshine48

Ha Ha!

• mysunshine48

In case you don't know, in one week, I am moving to The Villages where Patoo lives. We will be within bike riding distance of each other!

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308

TTfan, lots of SE's with different manufacturers, you should try a couple of different ones. We have different manu's here in Canada so I can't make a recommendation, but I found the same thing with tamoxifen. They use different fillers & that's likely the cause.

Carolyn, I second the recommendation of getting in touch with someone, this doesn't sound good & you could be very dehydrated.

• Jerseygirl927
    Jerseygirl927 Member Posts: 260

been on anastrozole by teva and think my insomnia is creeping in. Take naps cause I am exhausted during day, then head to bed around 11:00 but is usually 12:30 or later before I can relax and fall asleep, I will do deep breathing to help relax me, but if I go past that, I will take melatonin 5 - 10 mg to help sleep. Won't do ambien gives me nightmares. So got to takes these drugs till I don't care anymore or a cure comes? Pray for us all that we may endure these issues. Hugs to all.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 931

Hi all, I have been on arimidex 10 months and am maintaining about a 9 lb. Weight loss so far (actively trying to lose).

• Smurfette26
    Smurfette26 Member Posts: 269

Just wondering what everyone's dose of Arimidex is? Mine is 1mg per day. Doesn't seem much?

Also have had terrible constipation since starting but could be a coincidence as I had chemo on Tues. I have never been constipated with other chemo treatments though. Will need to take something I think. Joy.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

1 mg is the standard dose. It does seem strange, some of us are thin, others fluffy, but for most of us it works. Think of it like aspirin. One size fits all.

• TikkasMom
    TikkasMom Member Posts: 32

constipation here too...........

• patoo

Thanks Spookiesmom for the "fluffy". Smile Got a giggle out of that.

• kmpod
    kmpod Member Posts: 84

HI Smurfette,

Yep, constipation is one of the side effects of Anastrazole for some of us. It's something I've had to manage (as well as I can) since I started taking it 4 years ago.

There's a lot of accumulated wisdom on this thread:

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/6/topics/...

The length of the thread looks daunting but dip into it and you find lots of suggestions.

• spookiesmom

I'm definitely fluffy😳

• Smurfette26
    Smurfette26 Member Posts: 269

Thanks so much for the replies ladies. Feeling some relief this morning. Aahhhh. Happy

• vettegirl
    vettegirl Member Posts: 136

Thanks Patti-I wonder. I hear my knee pop sometimes and it almost gives out on me. If we cant find anything on the mri on Thursday, I will ask to go to name brand instead of generic. I am willing to try anything. This is very painful. I will be on disability soon if we cant find a resolve, and that is not what I want to do.

Octo-I have gained weight too, but some of mine is swelling. Are you swelling from the drug? It may be water gain mostly if so.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

TTfan I switched to Exemestane after 3 years of Anastrozole. This March will be 2 years on it. I found many of the SE went away.

• octogirl
    octogirl Member Posts: 2,434

Hi vettegirl and others: I am not swelling, nor am I noticing that the weight gain is around the middle. but definitely gaining weight. could be comfort food binging and not enough exercise, though I've been walking a lot the last week or so, when I am not feeling sad and low energy. :-(

Hugs to all

Octogirl

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771

Octogirl. A rapid weight gain is usually fluid retention. Weight gain is definitely a side effect of the anti hormones since it decreases your estrogen levels so much. Same reason women gain weight when they go through menopause :(

• NCDi
    NCDi Member Posts: 61
    I have been on Arimidex for five months now and last week changed to taking it in the morning which has been fine but I wanted to ask if anyone has had bladder problems?

Of course it could be something else entirely.... Am taking 20mg Prilosec for reflux issues.

I have gained a few pounds but stayed steady, which I don't mind as I figure it is the Arimidex doing what it is supposed to do.
  • spookiesmom

I've always been prone for uti. One or two a year. The past 3 months I've had what I thought was uti and it wasn't clearing. PCP does test, nothing shows. I mean in the 4th of each month I have pinkish, cloudy urine, and the spasms and OMG I have to go NOW symptoms.

PCP is sending me to urologist for testing. Something about urine reflux between bladder and kidney. Don't like the sound of the test.

Is this from the pill? I don't know, will be a ? to ask.

• patoo

Octogirl, believe it or not, when you are feeling sad and low energy is the time to push yourself to exercise, so put on headphones with favorite music and go for a walk. Your body will release endorphins which will definitely raise your mood and as you do it more and more you will really feel you have more energy. Give it a try for a few days and see.

• octogirl
    octogirl Member Posts: 2,434

thanks patoo, and not to worry, I am exercising. Just got back from a 3 plus mile walk this morning..

Octogirl

• NCDi
    NCDi Member Posts: 61

Spookiesmom: went to MO for urinalysis, inconclusive on the fast result so they want to do more analysis and will call me back. I have an appt. with my regular PCM tomorrow so hopefully something will be resolved. Thing is after a few hours bladder settles down and feels normal. Odd that it started a few days after taking the Arimidex In the morning but that might just be a coincidence. When I wake up everything is normal. Weird but just another little challenge.
  • jw12
    jw12 Member Posts: 5

My Oncologist really was pushing for me to treat beginning stages of osteoporosis with Prolia and now I've read that it's showing positive results in preventing bone cancer. So I'll keep taking it as long as necessary! I've had two shots of Prolia. Once every six months. I haven't experienced any side effects.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

JW12, I've heard the same for Fosamax. It must be this whole class of drugs that are helpful.

HUGS!