Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Brutersmom, definitely do keep that RO. ANY good doc is hard to find. I'm so lucky that I liked all 3 of my oncs. Now I have to find new ones plus a new PCP (whom I adored). They will be hard to replace. My poor RO was diagnosed with myelofibrosis (per my RO's blog: my bone marrow space fills up with scar tissue (the fibrosis) and squeezes out the normal blood forming elements. Some of this process was moved to my spleen which made it so big, but it was not enough to support normal blood counts). He has known this was coming for 20 years (how awful). But that meant I could not say goodbye to him since he's been in treatment in California.

HUGS!

• iamnancy
    iamnancy Member Posts: 641

this past week I started having a little vaginal bleeding - just like a spot not a lot - but its been every day... I am 65 ... I wonder if its the anastrozole as I have been on it for 3 yrs now... anyone else have this happen?

I recently moved to Florida from NJ but am not changing my MO - I will go back next month for my 6 month check-up... I am changing my family doctor to someone here but I am at a loss to know what to do about the spotting... or what to think about it..

Has this been a SE for anyone else?

• doxie
    doxie Member Posts: 700

I have a polyp that acts up once in a while causing bleeding and cramps. I have an vagina ultrasound and have it biopsied when that happens. I had it 5 years before the BC diagnosis, so unrelated to AIs.

Yours could be completely something benign and unrelated too.

• iamnancy

thanks Doxie - I hope it does turn out to be something minor ... the bleeding, so far, has only been a small spot the size of a dime.... I don't have a GYN dr... guess I will ask my new primary dr when I meet her...

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Puffin2014 I've been on Prolia for 2 years. I have absolutely no SE.

• janett2014
    janett2014 Member Posts: 2,950

I've had two yearly Reclast infusions: no SEs.

• toto06
    toto06 Member Posts: 47

Ladies, many thanks for your replies to my post which I have just read as I was on holidays and totally switched off. Am back on Arimidex since Sunday the 3rd of July, still getting muscle spasms but probably wont notice any major change until after a few weeks. Once again, thank you.

• Jerseygirl927
    Jerseygirl927 Member Posts: 260

no co pay for my script either. Wether generic or name brand. Never pay hundreds of dollars for the drug, make a deal with the pharmaceutical co.

• iamnancy

Three years on this medication, thought SE had subsided but recently hot flashes are worse AND my hair is thinning at a rapid speed... my fingers and toes hurt but that has been the case most of the time... I am more upset about my hair...

Bawling

anyone else experience hair loss? after this much time on the meds?

• lago

IamNancy I had the same experience. Switched to Exememstane after 3 years. Hair did shed on Exemestane at first but then subsided. I also use Minoxidil. All other physical SE subsided. My hot flashes were never bad so that didn't change.

• pontiacpeggy

I do also notice I am losing hair faster than I had been. I have not tried Minoxidil. What variety did/do you use, Lago? I will give it a try. No hot flashes at all.

HUGS!

• iamnancy

Thanks - Lago and Peggy ...I think I need to look into Minoxidil - is there a special type, is it a rinse.. will I have to use it forever?

• pontiacpeggy

I am Nancy, I want to try whatever Lago used. I tried something else & it made my hair feel icky.

HUGS

• lago

PontiacPeggy and IamNancy I first used the Walgreens generic brand of women's 2%. I eventually switched to Costco brand. Then switched to Men's 5% but only use it once a day. I have never tried the foam version. Costco doesn't sell the liquid in store so I order it. I get 6 months worth that lasts me a year. With shipping it costs around $25 including shipping. That's pretty damn cheap and works just the same as the other stuff. I paint my eyebrows with it too. Just don't get in eyes.

It can take 3-6 months for it to start working. I know it has worked for a few others I recommended it to.

• iamnancy

Lago - is it something you put on and wash out? or is it something you put on and leave on? do you do this in the morning or evening? I have to wash my hair every morning..

• pontiacpeggy

Thanks, Lago! I'll check it out. I don't have a Costco membership but my kids do so can go that route. I may try the Walgreens or Walmart version first to see how I like it. As I mentioned, I tried something from Amazon (not Minoxidil) that made my hair feel terrible - gooey, sticky. Don't want to have that again.

HUGS!

• lago

I use it in the morning. It says to use it on dry hair. I use it after I wash my hair when it's wet. My dermatologist told me to put in wet hair so it doesn't absorb into my hair. It's supposed to be absorbed in the scalp.You leave it in. It's just clear.

Minoxidil is the active ingredient. Rogaine, or one of the generics they should all work the same. Just find which generic you like. My hair isn't stick or gooey.

• pontiacpeggy

Lago, thanks. Nice to get the REAL instructions from someone who knows! I'll give it a whirl. Appreciate the tips!

HUGS!

• iamnancy

thanks for Lago - I appreciate your advice...and instructions

• pontiacpeggy

Time to go shopping, IamNancy! Let's grow hair (courtesy of Lago)!!

HUGS!

• lago

Just be patient. Remember 3-6 months. I saw something in 3 months but my hair has always grown fast and I do take Biotin.

• pontiacpeggy

Lago, I decided to go with the women's first. I don't wash my hair every day so guess it will go on dry hair (wet when I do wash it). Did you put it on your forehead hairline and temples or just the part line?

Thanks for your help!

HUGS!

• lago

My hairloss is the temples and hairline so I only do it in those spots. I have lots of hair on the rest of my head. Also I finished my 5 years on Exemestane May 2nd. So it's only for my receding hairline now that I had before chemo.

• pontiacpeggy

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your information! I'm wondering if I should do a patch test since I seem to be allergic to everything. And if so, where? My inner wrist? Scalp? And while I'm asking, how much Biotin do you take? Thanks!

HUGS!

• iamnancy

Peggy - I take 5000 mg of Biotin - been taking it ever since I started on the anastrozole ..I really thought it helped - just recently changed brands and wondered if that has anything to do with thinning hair??

• lago

I take 5000 mg of Biotin as well. Be sure it's ok to take with the other meds you take. Always ask your MD before you take anything.

• pontiacpeggy

IamNancy and Lago, I was taking 300 units of Biotin and ran out a couple weeks ago. I wondered if that was enough. I know that the scientific literature (which is always 100% reliable) says that Biotin doesn't help hair loss but think I'll take a large amount than I was. My docs all seemed fine with taking it.

Again, thanks for the advice!

HUGS!

• lago

My dermotologist was quite pleased when she found out I was taking 5000 mg (5g) of biotin

• chef127
    chef127 Member Posts: 226

Ladies,

Are you sure your taking 5000"MG" and not 5000"MCG? I don't mean to question your dose but 5000mg is a lot, isn't even available. 5000mg=500,000mcg.

My Neurologist rx'd 300-500 mg/day for a neuro condition that's in clinical trial. The highest dose I can find is 100mg. I bought 3 bottles of 10mg and till I finish those I need to take 30 tabs/day. I have had no adverse reactions except my blood glucose level drops dramatically.

Maureen

• chef127
    chef127 Member Posts: 226

Lago,

Where do you buy Biotin in Gram dosages? I can't find it.

Heart