Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• discodiva
    discodiva Member Posts: 1

I started arimedex in January and it seemed all was well but I developed a cough and sore throat. Since then I have developed bronchitis 3 times antibiotics still returned. Anyone else have this problem. Disappointed because no other side effects. Calling my oncologist today cough is bad

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771

discodiva...Hi there. May I please ask you to make your stats public? Its just really hard to answer you without knowing any of your circumstances. Thanks

• Tappermom383
    Tappermom383 Member Posts: 401

Discodiva, I developed a chronic dry cough shortly after starting on anastrozole last July. My MO doesn’t think it (or my sore left knee) are SEs as they didn’t develop right away - what? All SEs show up immediately? Anyway, he’s sending me for a chest x-ray and a knee x-ray (I’m going today) to rule out anything other than an SE. I also developed carpal tunnel in my left wrist; I wear a night brace, which helps.

MJ

• Santolina
    Santolina Member Posts: 3

Hello. After a lumpectomy last summer and 33 sessions of radiotherapy, I was put on Arimedex but after two months, the oncologist took me off. The side effects were breathlessness, more joint pain and extreme lethargy. I'm taking extra vitamin D, 10,000 g of ascorbic acid, CO Q10 but what I want to know if there's anyone taking anything that alleviates simliar symptoms?

cheers,

'santolina'

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,292

I'm only taking Anastrozole every other night before bed, but I've noticed I have dreams or nightmares where I wake myself up yelling / screaming something. 3x now. My chin is also breaking out like I did as a teen. Coorelation?

My aches and pains remain as they always did, no worse no better.

• peregrinelady
    peregrinelady Member Posts: 416
    Can I ask who recommended every other day? I am not sure that is beneficial with these drugs.
  • coachvicky
    coachvicky Member Posts: 984

Bottom line ... our bodies need estrogen. When we block and /or reduce it, other things happen to our bodies. I understand the need to block my estrogen but if my MO or my PCP told me "X" was not a side effect, I would can their fanny.

As for the cough, mine developed with Herceptin and continues with Arimidex.

I work to remain grateful that the cancers are gone. I have been reconstructed well and for that I am grateful.

I have four years and one day left on Arimidex.

Coach Vicky

• miranda2060
    miranda2060 Member Posts: 207

I will be seeing my MO this Friday. I expect she will prescribe Arimidex. I am really scared to take it and deal with the side effects for five to ten years.

I had surgery in January, radiation in Feb. and March, and for some reason dread the pills more than either of those, maybe because they were limited in time. The side effects I am reading about sound nightmarish.

• coachvicky

miranda2060…

There is a forum for "doing well on Arimiex." It will give you an other perspective.

Sure, I have side effects but they are do-able.

Coach Vicky

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,292

Peregrinelady- my MO put me on every other day for 6 weeks, then daily. I believe she starts all her patients on every other day to allow our body to acclimate to it.

• miranda2060
    miranda2060 Member Posts: 207

Thanks, Coach Vicky.

• butterfly1234
    butterfly1234 Member Posts: 2,038

Miranda

Please know that not everyone has terrible side effects on Arimidex. Check out the other thread titled “Doing well on Arimidex." There are also several helpful tips and suggestions on this thread.

• sarahstronger
    sarahstronger Member Posts: 5

Anyone premenopausal taking Anastrazole? I started two weeks ago in conjunction with monthly Zoladex injections. I am 28 years old. This is after 4 treatments of taxotere and cytoxan which i finished January 30th. So far nothing too notable except two days ago I started having dark brown vaginal bleeding which has since turned into a more “regular” looking period-type bleeding, but very heavy. Like 2-3 super tampons a day. I told my MO about it today and he’s sending me to my GYN tomorrow. Needless to say I’m confused and alarmed. Any of you ladies experienced this? As always thank you all SO much! ♥️

• Tappermom383
    Tappermom383 Member Posts: 401

But who’s counting, right Coach Vicky?

Don’t panic MIranda - we all react differently to the AIs. I’m not sure anyone sails through with no SEs at all but for most of us the SEs are bearable. I comfort myself with the knowledge that I am throwing everything at this beast so I can watch my tiny grandson (who’s almost 2) grow up. Best of luck to you!

MJ

• Taco1946
    Taco1946 Member Posts: 630

I agree with Coach. Many of us are doing fine on AI's. I also know that I am a year and a half older than when I started this journey. I am in the age group where many are walking around on artificial knees, hips etc. and I am not. Yes, my thumb hurts. I've had achielles heel repair and carpel tunnel surgery and a number of cortisone shots - most before BC.

• peregrinelady
    peregrinelady Member Posts: 416
    Cindy, thanks for answering. That makes sense. Sounds like you have a thoughtful oncologist.
  • coachvicky

Tappermom38… Oh how I am counting down these days! It took me some time to get my head around a 5 year commitment.

Taco1946 Our oldest son said to me when we told him that I had breast cancer that I would live to see his children graduate ... from graduate school. The youngest was three. I liked the re-frame.

CindyNY ... What a wonderful MO you have to start Arimidex every other day! That is a brilliant idea.

sarahstrong… I am not much help to you. I am post memopausal and I had a hysterectomy. I know vaginal bleeding can be a side effect. Reads like your MO is doing everything correct by getting you to your GYN. Best wishes for answers and comfort. Try not to worry (I know that is probably impossible).

Coach Vicky

• BlueGirlRedState
    BlueGirlRedState Member Posts: 900

HapB - I am 60, but also switched from AI to Tamoxifen. After about a 6 month break from AI, I asked my DR for an Rx for Tamoxifen. I would like to hear how you do with the switch and your DR's thoughts. I took AI for 3-4 months, and quit after increasing joint stiffness, a swollen/distorted left thumb, and a finger in each hand locking up. Stiffness loosens up during the day, but is still there. Acupuncture and some exercises a PT gave me seem to help, but stiffness has not gone away. My DR does think I should take AI, suggested I try a different AI, that it is more effective than Tamoxifen, but supports my decisions. I did get an Rx for the brand name Arimidex after reading how some survivors found SEs subsided after switching from generic to brand, but did not use it.

2009 ER+ left breast. 52 yrs. Lumpectomy, Radiation 6 weeks, tamoxifen 5 years. Dense lumpy left breast, normal right. Acupuncture offered at facility as part of integrative medicine. It really helped with anxiety/stress during radiation treatment.

2016 ER+ left breast. Probably a new cancer, but unknown. 4 rounds TC Aug-Oct 2016, Bi-lateral (my choice) Nov 2016, no reconstruction. Anastrozole 1 mg starting May 2017. Joint issues noticed immediately. Stopped Anastrozole after 3-4 months do to joint stiffness in hands. Started tamoxifen March 2018.

• smwusaf
    smwusaf Member Posts: 79

coach vicky - I am struggling finding the thread called "doing well on Arimiex." How do you search effectively on this site? :(

BTW, my grip of the day - Walking shouldn't hurt. #cancersucks

• coachvicky

smwusaf

Well, I gave you the wrong name. Sorry.

Here is the info on the doing well forum:

All TopicsForum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During and After → Topic: Doing Well on Aromatase Inhibitors (AIs)

Topic: Doing Well on Aromatase Inhibitors (AIs)

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During and After — Risks and benefits, side effects, and costs of anti-estrogen medications. Note: Please remember that there are good experiences and bad with ALL treatments and this is a safe place to share YOUR experience, not to be influenced or influence others.Keep walking. It will get better.Coach Vicky

• smwusaf
    smwusaf Member Posts: 79

Thank you! I am making myself walk. Funny thing is I can do the elliptical machine, strength training, even squats. It's just that forward motion. I'm still working it though. :)

• wallan
    wallan Member Posts: 192

Hey ladies:

I spoke with my nurse practitioner today. She actually called me.

My Brain MRI was normal except for age related changes (which is likely shrinkage LOL). Yeah!

So my headaches and vertigo she says are likely from the Arimidex along with my tiredness, dry membranes everywhere and aches and pains. She recommended stopping the drug for two weeks and seeing if I feel better. If I do, they will put me on something else. If I still feel symptoms, they will investigate further.

For the first time since my 2nd diagnosis I feel looked after by my medical team. I am so happy my MO moved on and a new one stepped in.

On the other hand, I am taking a generic and I just found a Canadian program that will pay the difference in the brand name and generic. Maybe taking the brand name will make an improvement.

wallan

• butterfly1234
    butterfly1234 Member Posts: 2,038

wallan - great news on your MRI results. Sorry about your continued side effects. I do take the name brand Arimidex and most days my SEs are manageable, I pay out of pocket 30$ for 30 pills direct through Eagle pharmacy. I read so many negative things about the generic brand,I didn't want to take any chances.

• GKL
    GKL Member Posts: 8

I went to a site , drugs.com , and found a comprehensive list of Anastrozole side effects. you can access the list and print it out. It was 6 pages long. It has common, less common, incidence unknown, more common reactions to report to your Doctor. It has a list of other reactions that are not as immediately important but need addressing. If you go to the link for medical professionals, you will find more info. A lot of the SE's that are less common are the ones that Dr's question.

• BlueGirlRedState
    BlueGirlRedState Member Posts: 900

HapB - my symptoms have not gotten worse since quitting AI, not sure if they are any better after 6 month break, but I think fingers might not be locking up as much as they used to, and might be loosing up sooner. Left thumb still distorted. I got lazy about doing finger exercises and need to get back to doing them. I think they help, if I do not over-do them. Have not noticed any change since starting Tamoxifen about 1 month ago. I do vaguely remember an increase in vaginal discharge when I took it for 5 years in 2009-2013. ( I also drank quite a bit more coffee and tea then, as well as a lot more water). The DR then, checked for any other related concerns including endometrial cancer, which can be one of the SE of Tamoxifen, results were negative.

Hand exercises. This has slides of several exercises. I did #1 (Fist); x stretch hands/fingers shown in slide 1 ; # "Egyptian ; # stretch hands fingers as shown in slide 1; #3 "claw"; stretch fingers/hand shown in slide 1 . Did about 5 cycles of these, 2-3 times/day. Usually 1 cycle in AM before getting out of bed. A few cycles of a few reps were better than 1 cycle of lots of reps. I did both hands at once, so made "fist" followed by stretch, then "Egyptian" followed by stretch, followed by "fist", followed by stretch. Some of the other exercises in the slide show look good, maybe I will get one of those stress balls.

https://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/ss/slideshow-hand-finger-exercises

2009 ER+ left breast. 52 yrs. Lumpectomy, Radiation 6 weeks, tamoxifen 5 years. Dense lumpy left breast, normal right. Acupuncture offered at facility as part of integrative medicine. It really helped with anxiety/stress during radiation treatment.

2016 ER+ left breast. Probably a new cancer, but unknown. 4 rounds TC Aug-Oct 2016, Bi-lateral (my choice) Nov 2016, no reconstruction. Anastrozole 1 mg starting May 2017. Joint issues noticed immediately. Stopped Anastrozole after 3-4 months do to joint stiffness in hands. Started tamoxifen March 2018.

• Nancy618
    Nancy618 Member Posts: 318

HapB, I'll be interested in what you decide about Tamoxifen.

I stopped the Arimidex in December because of pain in my legs. Within 2 weeks, all the pain was gone. Am now on Aromasin {$170 for 30!) and the pain is much worse, the dryness is awful, I'm losing hair like crazy, fatigued, and brain fogged.

I've already tried Letrozole which made me crazy and unable to sleep.

So Tamoxifen is all that is left. Not sure I want to bother.

• Nancy618

HapB, he actually gave me the option of Aromasin or Tamoxifen. I opted for the Aromasin because of the Tamoxifen having risks of uterine cancer and stroke. That's why I am really so torn.

• Nancy618

Yes, I've used Predict, which is what I want to discuss with my MO.

93% survival rate after 5 years, 94% with hormone therapy.

82% survival rate after 10 years, 84% with hormone therapy.

To me, the difference isn't worth all the pain and diminished quality of life.

I'm going to ask about the risks when I see the MO.

• Nancy618

It's survival rate, but I'm kind of assuming it's not recurrence of the cancer. That's what I want to find out too.

• Free2Be
    Free2Be Member Posts: 3

The moderators here told me to come to this forum because the one I posted in was a number of years old, lol. I started taking Arimidex in late January. I take the generic-Anastrozole. I’ve had some mild reflux and lower back and knee pain. It was my second bad stomach pain attack a couple of days ago that led me to check in here. I’m sure someone knows what I’m talking about-the can I drive myself to ER kind of pain. Btw, I’d just had arthroscopic knee surgery when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I couldn’t figure out why my knee continued to hurt so much, lol. I will say that at one point I had great relief from that by taking hyaluronic acid capsules with MSM. Unfortunately the relief didn’t last and after a few weeks the pain returned. That happened after I tried doing some fairly major walking for what that’s worth.

I went to my regular doctor this afternoon and saw one of his assistants. Nice young man who didn’t know what Arimidex was. I went because I wanted some relief for the stomach pain. I tried to educate him about Arimidex (haha) and pushed until he prescribed an antacid medication. I’m hoping that will help. I saw people posting about calcium helping but I’m not quite understanding what kind of calcium. I plan to ask my oncologist about that when I see him in a couple of weeks, but I’d appreciate any info you all might have. He already told me that I am “interesting” since I take natural medicines as much as possible.

I think it’s great to have this forum and appreciate everyone’s sharing. We are our own best advocates