Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

ALL THINGS Gloves and sleeves

Comments

• Cindyl
    Cindyl Member Posts: 498
    edited February 2013

my current "new" custom sleeve is way long.  My LET says the added the band on top of the mearsurements rather than including it.  I didn't realize there was a problem so I wore it for a while, until I started having problems with it.  I'll be getting a new one soon, and I'll know better next time.

• KS1
    KS1 Member Posts: 161
    edited February 2013

Hi Cindyl ... Visually, the amount my new sleeve looks too short is basically the width of the band.  But, I looked at it again and it doesn't just look too short, it also looks too wide.  I gently stretched it out length-wise a bit, and now it looks more normal (longer and less wide).  Weird.  KS1

• dassi52
    dassi52 Member Posts: 152
    edited February 2013

KS, like everything in life - mistakes happen and my feeling is that the company made a mistake. 2 inches is an awful lot. I would wait wearing it and contact them immediately. I also think you ought to ask them for a refund for return postage and insurance. After all, they ought to take responsibility and you shouldn't have to pay extra. The chances that your old one stretched that much are, in my humble opinion, zero (unless you hung a 100 lbs weight at the bottom and left it for a while Tongue Out) It's so annoying that you have to wait even longer for your order, but hopefully you'll get a replacement soon. Tell them that it's urgent!

Purple, thanks for the good wishes. I seem to have the same propensity for nicks. Three on one hand and that's the LE hand of course! I have no idea where 2 of them originated. In the meantime pockets of fluid are still there. (They look like blisters if you know what I mean) 

• KS1
    KS1 Member Posts: 161
    edited February 2013

I put on my new custom sleeve and glove this AM and, despite it seeming short and squat, when I put it on, it seemed to fit and it's felt comfortable all day.  My old sleeve and glove are 6 months old, and are pretty stretched out, so I was afraid that their replacements (which are at least in theory exactly the same) would feel too tight.  

But I've been wearing the replacement ones for 10 hours, and they are more comfortable than the old ones.  I think the old ones had stretched out enough that they were slipping and bunching.  For the last couple of months, my hand has been pretty swollen by the time I take my garments off.  Maybe the reason my LE has become increasingly difficult to manage over the last couple of months is that, even though my old garments didn't look that old, they had lost their oomph.  One can hope!  KS1

• purple32
    purple32 Member Posts: 1,767
    edited February 2013

But I've been wearing the replacement ones for 10 hours, and they are more comfortable than the old ones

That makes sense  to me  ... but I know very little ! Wink

• purple32
    edited February 2013

I recently spoke to 2 of the ppl. on this forum regarding my sleeve/glove status. I question wheteher or not I need to wera a sleeve and glove ( buit for exercise ) because I was told to do so by an inept PT,. I saw my LEist tonight and she measured and did a complete exam. She said my "good arm' is bigger than the left/ affected arm. She is aware it is the dominant arm, but I have no LE signs at all in my left arm. (Breast and hand areas .)

My affected hand is 3% different.  ***EDITED to add- actually , I believe she said only 3 mm different!

She said she would suggest I always wear both for exercise, but perhaps to start backing off the sleeve a bit <take it off after work to start>and she will follow me with measurements. I trust her, but I dunno'. I go @ 2weeks for MLD .

In any case, I need the glove , which is the part that actually bugs me- though I love the Farrow.

What do you ladies think ? I have been wearing for app 4 mos now, but as I said - it is quite possible that I never needed to wear a sleeve ( except for exercise )

Is there anyone who just has hand LE and wears a glove ( and sleeve only for exercise )?

Thanks for any input.

• Hwally
    Hwally Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013

Hi Purple,

I have hand LE and arm LE but the arm is not as noticable as the hand which has obvious swelling. I was told by my lymph therapist to always wear the sleeve + glove during heavy activity. (i.e. shoveling, heavy housework, excercise, etc). I wear the glove all the time. I only wear the sleeve occasionally (during activity, if my arm is bothering me).

I think it is an individual thing - if your arm feels lymphy and achy you should certainly wear the sleeve. You should definately wear it during heavy activity. Otherwise I think it is up to you.

Holly

• Cindyl
    edited February 2013

I just got measured for a new sleeve, and I'd like to find at least one that's less butt ugly than the standard beige... but looking at the numbers I'm pretty certain that it's going to need to be custom as I have t-rex arms.  So where do you go for "pretty" custom sleeves?

• purple32
    edited February 2013

I think it is an individual thing - if your arm feels lymphy and achy you should certainly wear the sleeve. You should definately wear it during heavy activity. Otherwise I think it is up to you.

OK thanks

• purple32
    edited February 2013

Cindyl

JUZO ???? also- try Gottfried Medical.

• purple32
    edited February 2013

VIC
    I  finally got my IMAK ACTIVES today.  After  this foolish little cut heals, I'll be wearing them and will have to do a review to let ppl know if I think of this OTC product as highly as you do.

Sure hope so!

• Victoria38
    Victoria38 Member Posts: 187
    edited February 2013

I hope so, it's practically all I wear now. Cool

• GottaloveNED
    GottaloveNED Member Posts: 60
    edited February 2013

Cindyl - I too have to wear ugly beige custom. I started wearing patterned tights/ nylons over them. I just cut the legs off and use them as covers. I have lots of grays, black and brown patterns for fall/ winter, but am anxiously awaiting some spring colors. I found some hot pink and purple on clearance in the fall, and wear those when I need a pick-me-up in this endless winter.

• Victoria38
    edited February 2013

Good idea GottaLove! 

I'm actually embracing the beige now, strange huh?  I was on a pretty big campaign against beige for awhile there. My sleeve matches my arm pretty well, so when I wear a gauntlet, I think I almost pull off the bare arm look.  Almost.  You can kinda see in my picture.  I have a black gauntlet over a beige sleeve.

• purple32
    edited February 2013

That does look natural!  Btw, nice pic Victoria .

I would like 1 ' beige' sleeve too - can anyone tell me where they have found the lightest ?  I have very fair skin.

THX

• Victoria38
    edited February 2013

I'm wearing a Juzo beige dream sleeve.  In addition to being the lighest of the OTC that I've seen, it is flat knit.  I was thinking those Jobst look lighter in color, but I've not seen them in person.

• LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304
    edited February 2013

Cindy1 - Juzo comes in some pretty colors, I have custom made sleeves/gloves and I like them alot, and there are several colors you can get them in.

• purple32
    edited February 2013

thx victoria

• boobookitty
    boobookitty Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2013

I have been wearing mediven 95 arm sleeve and mediven 95 glove for almost six months now.  I have two sleeves and two gloves, that is what insurance covers.  The fitter didn't mention anything about custom fitting me or anything.  It is time for me to call to re order next month.  I wonder if I should go ahead and get the same ones I am used to or try a different brand?  I wish there was a way that we could try them out before we decide which one to get. 

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    edited February 2013

Boobookitty, the only way I know to try them on is to go to a medical supply place and they will measure and let you try one. 

• Cindyl
    edited February 2013

Thanks ladies.

• GottaloveNED
    edited February 2013

I have spring fever. In responding to Cindyl's post, I started dreaming about pretty colors. Target has lots of tights in pretty pastels & brights. The link is long... I hope it works. Otherwise just search target.com for tights.

http://www.target.com/c/socks-hosiery-accessories-women/-/N-5xtbd#navigation=true&Nao=0&viewType=large&sortBy=newest&minPrice=from&maxPrice=to&isleaf=true&navigationPath=5xtbd&parentCategoryId=9975733&facetedValue=/-/N-5xtbdZ5v0kg&RatingFacet=0&productsCount=54&categoryId=4672

• LindaKR
    edited February 2013

OMG (I hate that term) the fitter billed the wrong insurance and I got the denial today - $3000 for 5 custom made 1 piece Juzo sleeves with gloves - YIKES. They're going to bill the correct insurance for me now, but OMG!!!!!!  Next month I go on to Medicare with a supplement and I hear they don't pay for my compression garments!!!!  Ok my insurance will be about $600 a month less, but...!!!!!!! 

• LindaKR
    edited February 2013

I would worry about the extra compression that wearing tights over the sleeve might have.

• GottaloveNED
    edited February 2013

The tights can sometimes add extra compression. Sorry, I should have warned about that. I don't have a problem with it, but some might. I generally only use lightweight ones ( like nylons) and sometimes pre-stretch them. I won't wear ones with Lycra. They tend to bunch and constrict around the elbow. Each person with LE has different tolerances , so if you decide to try it, go slow and see what works for you.

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited February 2013

In fact, if you decide to try it, check out the fit with your LE therapist. Adding compression is trickier than it sounds. Some people with leg LE need extra compression and, because of difficulty getting high-compression garments on, they wear two lighter-compression garments instead. It only works if someone with expertise in this gauges the actual compression, because it's not just simple addition.Frown Maybe if someone here has some expertise in physics they could explain why, please? I don't get it--just know it's complicated.

Be well!
    Binney

• purple32
    edited February 2013

Gottalove

I am also curious as to how you keep the tights up (?)  If you want fashionable looking sleeves, you may want to check out Lymphedivas!
    ================================================================
    VIC (et al)
    as for the IMAK *ACTIVE*  arthritis gloves ( these are otc sold by amazon and others) I tried them yesterday for  bit.

They felt just a tad more snug than the regular ( not active) IMAKs . I dont know if it is the way they are made with the mesh or what, but I liked the snug feel. 

I  dont think I would ever  wear them instead of the Farrow or other RX, on any kind of a regular basis,  but I will say this about them :

• I would definitely feel good about using them as  a temp. if I was waiting for a glove order.
    • I would go so far as to suggest them to people INSTEAD OF the isotoners. I feel they are over and above in every way- both style and especially, function.
    • I will keep them in my winter coat pockets, and if my glove ever rips or gets a spill etc ...I would definitely be happy to have it.  It noticeably reduced swelling in my fingers.  I might grab it and use it before a shower on a  lazy weekend morning when I don't yet have my sleeve and Farrow on yet .  I have not tried them for driving, but I know I would  prefer them as they have grips.  I almost wonder if someone with NO hand swelling might want these with a gauntlet if they were driving a  distance.  I can't say because I am a 'glove person' and  have swelling in the fingers- this is merely a thought to consider.
    • Overall, my last (regular) IMAKS worked and really held up quite well while I waited for an RX.
    • I would recommend these IMAK ACTIVEs  to ppl . who were waiting for a precription glove or who had their glove in the laundry. These are a nice back up  IMO.
    • They are pretty true to size or a bit on the smaller side if anything at all.
    • One more thing- they made my hand feel warm.  I like this because I have cold extremities. My Farrow does not make my hand feel warm.  This feeling ( extra circulation or /??) might be  a problem for some people, so buyer beware.

For $20 I think they are great temp gloves.

http://www.amazon.com/Imak-Active-Arthitis-Gloves-Small/dp/B007JVIG1S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361632969&sr=8-1&keywords=imak+active+glove

• dassi52
    edited February 2013

Purple, I also need a glove only. The LPT said to wear the sleeve only for flying. It does make sense though - and I am going to ask her this as well - to wear the sleeve when the arm is achy (sometimes) and I will also ask when I use the arm a lot s.a physical cleaning in the house.Will post her answer after I see her. I still haven't found a good solution for the sweaty part when I cover the glove with a rubber, vinyl or plastic one even though I wear a cotton one in between. I guess it's either wear a glove and sweat or take it off and risk swelling and cuts. 

My hand has been bothering me a lot today, probably as a result of cleaning part of the house. I also find my fingertips tingling a lot with and without the glove. Does anyone know why?

As far as measurements go, last Tuesday I was measured and both my hands and arms are the lowest they have been, yet you can see I have LE on the joints of the LE fingers (the wrinkles smooth out) plus now the additional LE pockets between some of my knuckles and on the palm. The weirderst thing was that my left non-LE hand that has always had skinnier fingers than the right dominant one gave me problems with my rings even though it has been cold enough. Go explain. I think I am now somewhat paranoid about LE like most of us.

I actually bought a pair of Isotoners according to their measurements but my fingers are too skinny and the ringfinger and pinky are too wide and don't give me any pressure. My pink is the most problematic finger, so unless I make it narrower with a sewing machine, they aren't any good for me. I don't want to order the IMAK because I think I would have the same problem.

• purple32
    edited February 2013

The weirderst thing was that my left non-LE hand that has always had skinnier fingers than the right dominant one gave me problems with my rings even though it has been cold enough

dassi

I cant follow this - what do you mean ?

Hope somebody answers your Q on the tingling. I know others have posted about heaviness, achiness or odd sensations, but I am not sure if tingling is different than that .

What kind of a glove do you currently wear ?

• dassi52
    edited February 2013

What I meant about my non LE left hand, that the fingers were always a drop skinnier than on my right hand before LE, so that the same rings fit more loosely on the left side than the right side. Now, since my right hand has LE, I can't get any rings over the joints, and even when I barely can on a good day, it is so  difficult to get them off again that I stopped doing that. Now, all of the sudden, I have a hard time removing rings from my left hand and that was new to me.Why are the fingers fatter? Has my left side now become "dominant" after I used it much more because of right side lack of use (after I had tendinitis and my fingers got messed up). I have no idea, and I doubt a doctor would know the answer. The issue happened a few times, and then everything is fine again. I will mention it to my LPT.

I wear a Farrow (Xsmall) which I really "like". (better than Medi95 but wish I didn't have to wear anything)