Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

ALL THINGS Gloves and sleeves

Comments

• carol57
    carol57 Member Posts: 1,550
    edited March 2013

Now, that's a picture that tells 1000 words!  I would have freaked and not sure I would have thought to try a glove over the ring.  Good thinking, and I'm glad it worked out.

• purple32
    purple32 Member Posts: 1,767
    edited March 2013

Wow! That sure was good thinking.

OK, I get it about the ring, but why not on the OTHER hand Vic?! Surprised

I am thinking of getting my wedding ring re-sized ( my right hand was also a bit larger) and   wearing it on the right.

BTW, VIC- how did you put the LE in your sig. line?  I dont seem to be able to !
    thx

• LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304
    edited March 2013

I wear my wedding band on a chain around my neck, since the LE is on the left side and I have a family ring that I wear on the right. 

Victoria - how scary, and what good, quick thinking.  I'm afraid to even try a ring on that hand now!

• LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304
    edited March 2013

Purple - You can edit your signature by going to "My Profile" in the upper right corner > Click on the setting tab > scroll down to Signature and edit it.  I just added my LE in there.

• purple32
    edited March 2013

Thanks, Linda !

I've been trying for days- the questions it asked  had no  replies for LE.

I hope more ppl will add it to their sig. line so other ladies in different threads can spot us and PM if need be.

• purple32
    edited March 2013

Victoria,

How will you ' treat' this indent - I would be doing lots of MLD , with a special emphasis in that area.  Just wondering.

• Victoria38
    Victoria38 Member Posts: 187
    edited March 2013

I wear my wedding band on my right hand now, I always want to wear it.  Since I'm used to it there now, I wear other casual rings on my LE hand ... occasionally.  Not often, since I'm supposed to be wearing a glove.  Shhhh!  But sometimes i just like to sparkle!!

Purple, actually the Imak glove brought it right back down to "normal" size. It was just in the fingers.   

• purple32
    edited March 2013

Amazing, Victoria!  I do like that IMAK ACTIVE ~

• dassi52
    dassi52 Member Posts: 152
    edited March 2013

After reading about these ring adventures, I would like to know if anyone knows about IMAK sizing. I bought Isotoner according to the knuckle size the way the site tells you to measure.The glove is too wide on my pink and ring finger, and my pinky is especially problematic! Is the Imak cut differently? In the Farrow I wear extra small. If I order Imak, I don't really have an option of returning them from here. Therefore, I will only order if there is a good chance that it fits. Advice please?

• Victoria38
    edited March 2013

I think the Imak does fit tighter on the pinky than the Isotoner and for me it works infinitely better.

If you decide on getting the Imak, make sure it is the Active glove, not the Arthritis glove.  The Active glove is a bit tighter and has the nubby grips.

And since they have a cotton content, you could try to wash them in hot water and shrink them tighter, since they only come in small and not extra small.  If you find the small is not tight enough.

• dassi52
    edited March 2013

Thanks, Victoria, for the warning about active vs arthritis. I'm not sure I would have remembered that. Washing in hot water may shrink them (or not - who knows). I am definitely going to look into one. Actually, tomorrow I am seeing my LPT because of lymph accumulation on the top of my hand near the fingers and on the palm. I am going to ask her if I possibly need compression II rather than I (the Farrow). I love the fabric of the Farrow , and I do hope she can help me get the fluid move out, because I really don't want a Jobst or Medi95. Their fabric is so unpleasant compared to the Farrow. (At this point I should move over to the GR hate LE forum!)

• purple32
    edited March 2013

). I am definitely going to look into one.

You'll get TWO gloves !~
    Yes, I agree with Victoria.  I do like the IMAK artritis, but get the IMAK ACTIVE. They are best.  size small.  My ring finger is ( was  ?)  a 4  1/4 if that helps at all.

• purple32
    edited March 2013

VIC

Is that indent gone or ?

• hugz4u
    hugz4u Member Posts: 1,818
    edited March 2013

dassi, Farrow has a gauntlet with velcro that you fit over your farrow glove if you need a bit more compression on the hand part.

• purple32
    edited March 2013

You're KIDDING hugz?
    Wow- that sounds cool!

• hugz4u
    edited March 2013

I have it but am too lazy to try to figure out where to adhere the velcro so I keep wearing my ironmaiden heavy duty ugg gloves. I guess I have to read the instructions. I am not sure if it will provide up to class two but it will definately make more compression. I think I got it at brightlife. It certainly looks more sporty than medical. I like the look of those Imaks. What compression do you think they are equal to?

• Victoria38
    edited March 2013

Hugz- It's so simple, you just wrap it around and use the velcro to close it on top.  Easy Peazy.  I forgot all about mine.  I would wear it more if it were black.

Purple - Yes the indent went away quickly after the ring was off.

dassi - I agree class II seems really uncomfortable, as well as the Medi 95.  The Medi 95 and Juzo gloves both push fluid to my fingertips, oy, I hate them. 

Currently Imak Active is my favorite.  It not only controls, but it helps reduce. I'm probably considered moderate LE.  My hand will not come all the way down, no matter what.  But fortunately my fingers do.

Oh, a total guess here, but I would say the Imak glove is 15-20.  Possibly more if it is a tight fit.  Oh another thing, the Arthritis glove has 5% spandex and the Active glove has 8%.  That's why it's a bit better.

• purple32
    edited March 2013

Amazing, Victoria!  I just pictured that mark there for days .Surprised

• hugz4u
    edited March 2013

Yah, with my new class two gloves I am getting a bit of puff at the tips. I tried stretching them but no success. Maybe I should try the imak.

• dassi52
    edited March 2013

OK guys. You convinced me to try out the IMAK Active. I was by the LPT today as I wrote before. She measured me fingers, hand, arm - the whole works and said that most is the same, and even where it's a bit more it's so minimal, nothing to worry. She also felt that the lymph pockets that had me concerned (her too last time) are most likely more an outcome of my hand which has as of now not yet straightened out after MD caused trauma. She, being an active regular PT as well, showed me lots of Pt exercises for the joints that may just help the issue, and even better, she did a nice and long MLD on me which she had never really done before - this much I mean. Another innovation - she said there is nothing terrible if I take off that glove for an hour or two while doing some cleaning. It's one thing if you take it off for a whole day, but an hour or two doesn't make a difference. I admit that I often do that anyway. When I did not wear the glove for a long period, I felt it afterwards.

As far as going on to more compression, she claims that with my problematic hand I would need a custom glove. In the meantime, just to leave it as is and work more on straightening out the palm and fingers. I am happy to stay with the Farrow.

Has anyone put the Farrow in the machine rather than handwash per instruction?? MIne just doesn't come clean with handwash.  

• purple32
    edited March 2013

I handwash the farrow. IF I put it in the machine, I would use the mesh bag., cold water and genlte cycle.

JMO

• DiZZyMom
    DiZZyMom Member Posts: 96
    edited March 2013

Hey ladies, I sure appreciate all your advice. I've been wearing my sleeve with glove during the day for about two weeks now. While I don't enjoy it, I have not had any real discomfort. The last two days after I remove it, there are indentions on my upper arm from the silicone bumps and it itches like mad. The swelling in my arm is reducing so I don't understand why it would be fitting tighter? I found that I must have been scratching it in my sleep last night and it's even more irritated. I'm so afriad of any kind of skin irritation on that arm because I've heard the slightest scratch can cause it to blow up. I think I'm going to put cortisone on it tonight before I go to bed to hopefully keep the itchiness at bay. I have really sensitive skin. Has this happened to any of you and do you have any other suggestion? Thanks!

• purple32
    edited March 2013

it itches like mad.

I use a Eucerin calming cream.

Is there any chance you are actually allergic though ?

Your post made me want to be sure- you are not wearing the sleeve to bed, right ?

• DiZZyMom
    edited March 2013

I don't wear it to bed, no. Just during the day. I'll try the eucerin. I don't think it's an allergy because it's only in one area not the entire band around.  Thank you.

• Victoria38
    edited March 2013

Did you cut your tag out?  Sometimes the tag will flip up and if it gets bent over I could see that causing a problem.  I do keep the tags on, because I want to be sure of the size, but I make sure it's tucked in. Maybe a small piece of cotton with lotion, or a vertically placed band-aid might help till the area calms down.

• purple32
    edited March 2013

I'll try the eucerin.

Just a  tip.  I actually get the store brand calming creme and it works just as well.  Any redness fades within 20 mins!  Hope it does the same for you.

• DiZZyMom
    edited March 2013

Thank you, I put aquafer (sp) on this morning before I put it on and it doesn't feel like it's pinching like it has the last couple days. I'll put it on again when I take it off. I swear this lymphedema thing really pisses me off. Just feel like I've been a good sport about the surgery, chemo, etc. without any self pity. But for some reason, this just feels like insult to injury and I want to call "Uncle" already!

• hugz4u
    edited March 2013

Does anyone here just wear a glove and no sleeve?  If you are only in a glove then does the hand fluid then creep to the wrist area and hang out there because there is no sleeve to move the hand fluid up and out of the arm? Any opera length glove wearers?

Just curious, my mind is wondering here.

• purple32
    edited March 2013

hugz

Perhaps dassi - I'm not sure, but I too am curious because my LEist has advised that I should only be wearing the sleeve for exercise.  You'd think I would be jumping for joy, but at this point , I am paranoid about going without it.  She DID say I'd have to wear the glove though ( all day)
    I dunno'.

I have  been taking the sleeve off after work, but I am finding it very inconvenient to exercise on the spur of the moment and I end up  doing lots less, which is no good either.

GRRRRR!

ooopps- wrong thread Sealed

DIZZY
    Welcome to the  Catch 22 world of LE!Yell  As for the aquaphor, its a very good product, but be careful.  Your post implies you put it on and then put the sleeve on (right away ?)  I would not do that .  I know I know...it all gets ridiculous. I put  a LOT of my creams on overnight and anything else goes on right after the shower , and I wait as long as possible, in bathrobe to then put the sleeve on.  Dont like the idea of something greasy followed immediately by compression.  I am too paranoid about moist environments or even possible cellulitis - and everything else when it  comes  to LE!  Perhaps others will chime in and say I am being silly.

I just dont know anymore.

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    edited March 2013