Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

ALL THINGS Gloves and sleeves

Options

Comments

• dassi52
    dassi52 Member Posts: 152
    edited December 2012
    Options

I just ordered white cotton inspection gloves from Icon Plus. 12 pairs for 6.59 and free shipping with USPS. A far cry from some other company that charged only 3.95 for the gloves but wanted almost $12 in addition just for shipping! I wanted them to protect the compression glove from all the dirt (Kira recommended that). If you put a vinyl glove over it, you sweat a lot and it's very unpleasant and wet. You can use the cotton glove as a liner under the vinyl to prevent the sweating, or plain over the Farrow when you just want to protect it from dry dirt. Purple, you should know that one minus of the Farrow is that it is handwash only and NO dryer. Someone mentioned that they turn on the fan (or hairdryer on cold) to speed up the drying process, because heat  or the sun are not good for the Farrow.  I also ordered an extra black Farrow just for the see-no-dirt concern and also because I wanted a spare. For some reason the black Farrow comes with shorter fingers. I asked someone in Brightlife to measure them for me, which she did, and I think (hope...) that the fingers will come up high enough to make me 100% happy. Maybe I should write Farrow and ask them why they do that. It would be much better if we could trim fingers like the beige model. Even better, my LPT indicated that when I get new gloves in half a year or so, she may be able to prescribe  two for me and the insurance will cover about 80 %. 

Right now I wear the glove on and off, and wrap at night, but when I have to do physical work like cleaning, I am going to wear either the glove or bandages. (With bandages I can wear a rubber glove and don't sweat). When I get my cotton gloves I will report on the cotton-under- vinyl experiment if I stay dry inside. I call this period in my life"learning to live with LE" and I am still getting the hang of it.   

• purple32
    purple32 Member Posts: 1,767
    edited December 2012
    Options

Purple, you should know that one minus of the Farrow is that it is handwash only and NO dryer.

Thanks for that info, dassi. Good to know,  but I don't think it will bother me because that is just what I do with my OTC gloves.I also found your info on the Icon Plus interesting.  I apreciate it because I wear my gloves daily.

Thanks a lot for posting!

• purple32
    edited December 2012
    Options

I have  a  size small ALLEGRO sleeve.  It has a  sort of a wrist ' cuff" or edge  and the wrist is my problem area. I tried it on and took it right off - never worn.

If anyonewould like it, please PM me  and I will be happy to mail, it to youfree of chg.  I was  only buying it for when the other would be in the laundry.  It is inexpensive and beige.

• dassi52
    edited December 2012
    Options

I got my black Farrow as well as white cotton inspection gloves. I had asked the people at Brightlife to measure the fingers of the black glove as they are advertised as shorter than the other colors. I can attest to two things: the fingers were long enough for me. The size (Xsmall) which is fine in beige, is definitely tighter overall in black, so I think that I just have to wear it in gradually to stretch it more. I do hope it is not going to be too much pressure on the painful spots. Tomorrow I'll start with 1-2 hours and hopefully will break it in in a week or so. I do admit that I often take off the glove for some finger exercises or to wash hands, and then don't bother to put it back on for quite a while (at home, I mean). My fingers don't swell too much unless I scrub and clean, so I allow myself to do that. 

The white cotton gloves (made in India) fit me fine and hopefully they'll wash ok in the machine. I think I'll wash them in a net bag or pillow case, because they are very flimsy and look they will unravel any moment. What can you expect for the price of 6.59 for a dozen pairs with free postage? If they do the job to protect the beige glove from dirt, and machine wash easily, I will be pleased. I could use a new one every two weeks if I wanted to!

Is there anyone who has the black Farrow and also felt that there was a difference in width in the same size black as opposed to sand? I would like to hear how you dealt with it.

PS. I mentioned this in a previous post but will repeat if anyone is interested - the cotton gloves are Icon Plus and I got them online.

• purple32
    edited December 2012
    Options

dassi

I got a farrow black in today and they CAN be trimmed.  It states so all over it, although my fitter said if I trimmed it and anything went wrong , she would have nothing at all to do with it !

I called Farrow and they said it is FINE to trim it.  I also showed my fitter where it says so right in their pamphlet.

It is called :  "Half finger Trimable Glove "  Not too happy the fitter will not stand by me !

I LOVE how soft it is. This is my first ' real glove"
    I refused the custom she ordered for me today ...vice grips.

NO no no !

• LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304
    edited December 2012
    Options

I love my new one piece, custom Juzo, sleeve w/glove.  Ordered 3 more, hopefully they'l last for a while.  I like the idea of the white gloves to wear over - so thanks for the info on Icon Plus Dassi.  I'll check them out.

• purple32
    edited December 2012
    Options

Linda

Can you possibly find me a link OR  post a pic of one along with more details ?  So this is custom measured  then ?
    I am not sure I am going to be able to get another farrow because my INS co, just told me of preferred vendors and none seem to have those.

THX!

• LindaKR
    edited December 2012
    Options

Purple - Here's a link to the type of product I got from Juzo

http://www.juzousa.com/Product.aspx?menu1=Lymphedema%20Garments&menu2=Sleeves&product_class=SG&group_model=3020

- it's a custom sleeve with glove attached.  There's a link to their retailers on this site too - I have to travel over 200 miles each way for my fitting, but it's well worth it!  I have the Juzo Expert Model 3022.  They only show the stocking on this page, but they also  make the sleeves, you can look around the site to see - I don't have a picture of it on me, but it is one piece all the way to my armpit, and the fingers go to the joint closest to the end of my fingers.  I like the expert because it's got cotton in it and helps with hot flash issues. 

Let me know if you need any more info - also if your fitter would like to call mine for tips on ordering and fitting this garment they can call Doris at http://www.justlikeawoman.com/   Ask your LE T though before getting a one piece, not many people need them and not many people fit them either (I found this out the hard way).  Be sure to take at least an hour with your fitting, and tell your fitter all the issues you've had with other compression garments, if you have arthritis, etc...  all of these can make a difference.  I know Doris had to measure a little looser in some places and a little tighter in others.  Good Luck!

Linda

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited December 2012
    Options

Purple, talk to the fitters your plan covers--they're able to open an account with Farrow if you sell them on the idea. My fitter loves to hear about new products and regularly opens accounts with those she hasn't tried before, just because she wants to have as many options for us as possible. Fitters have trade shows they can go to, but not every company will be at every show, so it's up to us to keep them informed about what's out there that we'd like to try.

Be well!
    Binney

• purple32
    edited December 2012
    Options

Binney

My fitter is NOT being cooperative!

Furthermore, I gave her my order the day after TGiving ( I was SO grateful, remember ?) and the companies told me she ordered DEC 19th! I will not use her again.

• dassi52
    edited December 2012
    Options

Some fitter! Hope you can get a more efficient one.  

To everyone-I don't remember on which thread I saw this but it was on the LE forum - a link to a site that showed pictures of how to sleep on your side with a pillow helping you elevate the arm/hand. Can't find it any more. If anyone knows, please send me the link.

• LindaKR
    edited December 2012
    Options

Binney - what's the advantage to Farrow (I may have already asked you this, but...)

• purple32
    edited December 2012
    Options

Linda

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed post.

I have a blk Farrow and after 3 hrs of haggling and calls back and forth, I just ordered a copper, before my 2012 deductible went out the window.

There is no other material like them.  Silky and alsmost shiny ifyou will. They are a LIGHT compression.  They are trimmable. Very ' wearable'.

It wasnt long before I took mine off and could wear my wedding ring again. ( of course I realized the futility very quickly since I'd be wearing a  glove !Surprised  ) I guess my point is that it really worked to reduce swelling. Makes me even more upset that my porder was SAT ON for 5 weeks ( there were 3 friendly phone reminders that were ignored too)

These gloves are functional ( IF you can go with LT compression) and would look FAB with Lymphediva sleeves...esp the BLK with BLK onyx sleeve.  Its almost like they were made for each other.

At some point I will take a pic when I am wearing both and try to upload it.

• binney4
    edited December 2012
    Options

Dassi, I think the pictures you're talking about are here:
    http://www.stepup-speakout.org/Radiation_Induced_Brachial_plexopathy.htm#sleeping positions
    Sleep well!Smile

Linda, the only advantage to Farrow is if they happen to work better for you. Lots of the women here love them--so do I, as a matter of fact. They're a very nice fabric, they wear well, and they look good. You can trim the fingers to the length you want, but I didn't trim mine. They're not custom. They come in (I think) three colors, not all of which fit the same. I have the sorta copper-colored ones and I put them on in the evening (like now, for instance) when my hand is tired. Nice!

Hugs,
    Binney

• LindaKR
    edited December 2012
    Options

I haven't found a two piece (glove/sleeve) that doesn't make my hand swell worse - which is why I've gone to the one piece, probably wouldn't be worth trying at this point for me.  Thanks for the info.  And for the record I love the Juzo Expert material, but they are only custom, I think.

And thanks for the additional info Binney and Purple.

• dassi52
    edited December 2012
    Options

Binney, thanks for the link. I went to suso, but I must have been real tired 'cause I couldn't find it then. I am going to bookmark it. 

Re Farrow - you're sure right that the sizes aren't the same. I started off with a sand colored x small which is great. I ordered a second one through Brightlife in black. Yesterday I tried it out for 2 hrs and that was ok, but today, the glove was way too tight, made my fingertips tingle and turn very red, so I took it off. I need to get on touch with Farrow and see what they have to say, and also with Brightlife. Now I saw that a number of times mentioned that Brightlife doesn't take return and I think it's not them but Farrow so. I am going to email Farrow and complain,and see what they have to say. Very worst case, maybe I can do an exchange with the supplier here. Wish me luck, or it's "how to stretch a Farrow" or 86$ down the drain... And I was so excited getting this black glove. Sigh.

• purple32
    edited December 2012
    Options

also with Brightlife.

Dassi

Contact Brightlife. I had a  good experience with a guy named Scott, but ask for whoever you will.
    1-877-545-8585 . It is in fact FARROW that is non-refundable.

Having said that, you are not looking for  a refund. Farrow's insert states: " ... we provide ... a 2 month  /replacement guarantee on product workmanship..."  You are looking for a replacement , not a refund so you should have a case, and in fact, it may well be due to their workmanship in terms of the sizing being so different between colors (Now I'm a little concerned about the S  copper I ordered yesterday!) When trying to return a Farrow, I know one thing for certain  because I actually called them before I accepted my black glove (Farrow 1 979 822 9120) - they do NOT work directly with pts. , but rather with the distributor. So in this case, it is Bright Life . The sooner you call the better.

Let's hope Bright Life is a more willing go-between than my fitter !

You see, the very reason I contacted Farrow was to be CERTAIN I could trim the gloves although they are called, and I quote from their own insert :
    "Farrow Microfine Half Finger , Trimable Glove" .

They said YES - NO problem to trim, and their own instructions ( #6) says it as well.  STILL, my fitter said that she "did not like Farrow "  ( Last I looked she didn't have to wear a glove ) so if I had to return it for any reason, she would not deal with them. 

Meanwhile, Farrow made it clear they deal only with the distibutor - in my case the fitter as well. I liked the looks and the feel of the BLK glove enough to take the gamble.  Within a few hrs . my finger swelling was gone.  I only hope the trimming will not impact the glove after it is washed. Farrow said it won't , but I have nobody to return it for me if it does.  We'll see, and I will be sure to report here if it does in fact.

Good luck to you with BrightLife. Please let us know. We do need advocates! 

*Binney

Thanks for that link. I will use that side position.

• purple32
    edited December 2012
    Options

Linda ( et al)
    I am posting a few pics here.

This is what the farrow blk looks like with the Lymphediva BLK ONYX sleeve.  The glove fabric is somewhat similar to biking shorts IMO.

The undergarment is my version of a compression , but not the real deal. That comes in 2013 when my new deductible kicks in.

• purple32
    edited December 2012
    Options

But alas, looks aren't everything - this is what my ring finger normally looks like. I can never ( OK since OCT 2012 ) get my wedding ring over the knuckle- not even mid way. You can see the indent from where it used to be. ( Though DRS were somehow blind to it !)  I should note that I was a size 4 -1/4 ring finger :

• purple32
    edited December 2012
    Options

... and voila, after MLD and wearing the comfortable and lightweight Farrow for a little while :

I am amazed !  OK, so I take it right off, but I tell you - it slides on very easily.

The only other time I have been able to put that ring on pre-OCT. was when Kathy Fleming  cleared my terminus !

The proof is in the pudding.

• LindaKR
    edited December 2012
    Options

Thanks for the info and pictures Purple.

• purple32
    edited December 2012
    Options

YW, Linda!
    I always say a picture is worth 1000 words  :>)

• Beatmon
    Beatmon Member Posts: 617
    edited December 2012
    Options

Purple32: thanks for the pics! Did u add the embellishments? Need that for my Las Vegas trip! Beatmon

• dassi52
    edited December 2012
    Options

Thanks, Purple, for that information. I am going to contact Brightlife ASAP. I had emailed Farrow but no reply (possibly becaus ethere's no one in the office on Friday?). It is just amazing how we can help each other on this forum. I really do believe that Farrow should be taken to task for not making uniform sizing. I understand that as soon as you trim, you can't return, but other than that.  They want to sell but not be responsible. That's how it looks to me. We should advocate for a change in policy. Can't say I would boycot them because they still make the best fabric around.

Re rings. That's great, Purple! Even when my fingers are at their best, I can't get my rings over my joints. And I also decided to forgo wearing a beautiful but heavy bracelet that I inherited from my mother. On the lE side for sure not and on the other I have a watch and I am already scared to overload that one, because I had sentinel on that side. That should be the worst of it!

Back to my sand colored farrow that today was making my fingertips tingle as well, but I kept on flexing fingers and then it was ok.

• purple32
    edited December 2012
    Options

Beat

I did not add the embellishments ...they are only one is a series of fashionable looking sleeves by www.lymphedivas.com  In  fact, I just so happen to have  a top and earrrings on today that actually match the sleeve!  Coincedence !

They have  a large asstmnt. and they are superb in customer service.

Check them out!

• purple32
    edited December 2012
    Options

RE:  Farrow gloves dassi said

" We should advocate for a change in policy. Can't say I would boycot them because they still make the best fabric around."

I could not agree more.  Perhaps we could try to get MANY of the girls here to email and ask if they would consider standard refund or exchange policies. I will post on  a few threads, AND I will personally shoot an email off right now asking for it. 

sales@farrowmedical.com

( OR  1 979 822 9120)

What do you say, gals ?  Will you help us out ? There is power in numbers.

Perhaps some of you could write and say that you heard of the FARROW glove but also heard they do not have a standard refund or exchng policy so you  dont want to chance them(?)
    Any takers ?

I/we appreciate the support!

purple32

• binney4
    edited December 2012
    Options

Purple, I haven't heard of anyone having an exchange problem with any item Brightlife Direct deals with. Are you saying you've had trouble with them? Their policy has been to take returns, no questions asked, and I wasn't aware that changed.

Actually I've found Farrow to be exceptionally responsive to our needs. In fact, some time back when women here were complaining about the fingers being too short on their gloves they came here and asked us what we wanted and then made the changes. So I doubt that any sort of email campaign is necessary. How about if we wait and see how Dassi makes out with Brightlife?

Be well,
    Binney

• purple32
    edited December 2012
    Options

The issue is not with Brightlife , Binney but with the no refund policy of Farrow and with difficult exchanges- as well as the idea that different colors may not fit the same. ( would this not be considered a problem with workmanship?) I am hoping my copper small fits the same as my blk does.  As for the differnce is sizing with other colors, I am going by what ppl here have said. I MIGHT not have ordered the copper had I know.  Hopefully, it will be okay.If not, I don't expect an issue- period.

I have enough to deal with , with a fitter who appears to be an angel and was most likely getting double time coming out after the holiday and then sat on my order for 4 weeks!  Now I have to order thru Brightlife who my INS CO did not accept.

Pls refer to my other replies to your posts for a better understanding.

Also, my fitter told me I could take a custom glove home and try it for 10 days, wash and wear and retrun with NO questions asked , and she claimed I could do this with most gloves. She said that once I signed off on the Farrow it was mine...even if I didnt trim it. To me, that is NOT a good policy.  I am going by what the fitter  said.

I personally don't think emails like this can hurt.  I didn't shoot off any 'firepower' or anything rude by any means.

Thank you.

• Beatmon
    Beatmon Member Posts: 617
    edited December 2012
    Options

Purple32: thanks so much. I have already ordered the one just like the picture u showed. I had been on the website but missed that! Beatmon

• ellamilana
    ellamilana Member Posts: 59
    edited December 2012
    Options

Hello ladies,

I am 5 month PFC and will have to fly in January. Its a short flight, about 3 hours and I need to understand about the compression sleeve for my right hand, I have 15 nodes removed.

Can you please help me to figure out what I need and where to go to get it, or even if I need it.

Many thanks!

~Ella