Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

ALL THINGS Gloves and sleeves

Options

Comments

• LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304
    edited January 2013
    Options

I pretty much stay away from any type of sleeve that's even somewhat tight, stick with baggie sleeves.  My LE-T will let me drop in too just to show her the fit of something for her opinion, she's even measured me without counting it as a visit.  It's so great to have her.

• Victoria38
    Victoria38 Member Posts: 187
    edited January 2013
    Options

Ok ladies, I didn't mean to cause such a stir.  Only if there are any like minded people out there who would like an occasional change, might consider these.  If I was going to a wedding and was wearing a lavender camisole, I would wear these sleeve covers. I am certainly not advocating wearing them all the time.  I am hoping that we all keep a close enough eye on our swelling, if any developed we would stop wearing them.  I get swelling some days from nothing at all, but I haven't seen anything from adding these.  But of course that is just me.  Everyone should evaluate their own situation.  My LE is mild to moderate, and I have been so diligent with my compliance, that frankly it's fun to have a little variety on occasion.

And yes, my wrist is red in the picture, because I just took off my ugly glove for the picture.

So, everything in moderation and with due diligence.  But sometimes, girls just wanna have fun.   

• LindaKR
    edited January 2013
    Options

My fitter said do not dry them in the dryer, hang dry only, except for the JoviPak.

• purple32
    purple32 Member Posts: 1,767
    edited January 2013
    Options

No rayray, I have not had that issue with Lymphediva sleeves, but I dont go to the hot setting of course.

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    edited January 2013
    Options

RayRay, I  hang mine by the toyo stove and don't normally put them in the dryer.. I think they last longer that way. I did accidentally put my new glove in the dryer and it got a little snug but after wearing it for awhile it stretched back out.

• Hildy910
    Hildy910 Member Posts: 227
    edited January 2013
    Options

Thanks everybody for the input! 

I have not tried Farrow yet, but they are next on the list. I'll also check out the IMAK active glove, and my PT is getting a sample of another kind of glove that may help--can't remember the name, I have to check.

I suspect that I should also look into swell spots, or similar products.  The thing I have now works, but it is too narrow, and shunts some of the swelling over to the base of the thumb, so a chip bag that covers the whole back of my wrist and extends to my wrist would be great.  I think it was Kira who calls swelling 'whack a mole,' which is accurate for me!

Victoria, how do you stretch the wrists out?

• LindaKR
    edited January 2013
    Options

You could dry it over a can or something a little larger than your wrist, my fitter had me do that with the thumb, using a lipstick tube, or my LE-T gave me the center tube from a roll of kinesio tape to use.

• carol57
    carol57 Member Posts: 1,550
    edited January 2013
    Options

I think the laundering instructions differ from garment maker to garment maker.  For example, the instructions I received with a LympheDivas sleeve said specifically not to hand wash: it must be machine washed and dried to restore its compression.  Other sleeves' instructions say to wash in the machine but air dry.  I guess the moral of the story is to remember to hang onto the washing instructions when we get our gear!

Victoria, you are so right about moderation.  I thought perhaps your sleeve covers were compressive in themselves, and the wrinkles at the wrist could be trouble. But if they are sheer and loose, and you are paying close attention to the fit over your sleeve, then of course: girls do want to have fun!  

• purple32
    edited January 2013
    Options

Loose cool looking (purply) tie dye t shirt for anyone who has Juzo Dream tie dye .

http://www.6pm.com/michael-stars-circle-tie-dye-slouch-croptop-gypsy?zfcTest=mat%3A1

And here's  a pink with the  BC ribbon:http://www.logosportswear.com/product/21891/adult-awareness-ribbon-t-shirt

purple32. Hope is our light ... in the night.
    Dx 3/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 05/01/2012 Lumpectomy (Left)

• Victoria38
    edited January 2013
    Options

Thanks, that's a cool top, love most anything purple! I think it would look cool with my plain violet sleeve.  Did you get your tie dye sleeve?

Hildy, as Linda said any can or jar and yes, lipstick tubes work great on overly tight fingers.

RayRay, my LE-t says the dryer on low helps bring compression back.  So she recommends it for sleeves and bandages.  But I don't think it's that big a deal.  If they tend to shrink and you don't like that, then hang them up! I use lingere bags and dry on low, but shrinking is not a problem for me.  Most of the time I am hoping they will shrink. 

I always hand wash and air dry my Farrow glove though, it's my p r e c i o u s.

• purple32
    edited January 2013
    Options

Did you get your tie dye sleeve?

Not yet, Victoria.  They are supposed to call me back next week with return details.  I did get a cool sort of tie dye look shirt today from KOHLS though.  I am going to try to post a pic in a  min.

And yes, I think that one would look good  with your purple sleeve , btw !

Here is the shirt from KOHLS- on sale now,  w/ Farrow glove. ( of course I have  a lymphediva underneath.)  This is just  a cotton long sleeve T.

sorry, you can barely see that pic.  EDIT:
    Here is the shirt on my pillow  with an old B & W tie dye scarf or  pink, if you will.  Oh, and it is actually a gray satin pillowcase - my linens are not that dingy  :>)

• Victoria38
    edited January 2013
    Options

Looks cool. Is it grapey?  Wow you really cut your glove fingers down.  I have to keep mine longer unfortunately.  And nice nails!!  I'm so jealous, I used to have beautiful nails before chemo.  Now I'm still trying to recover and they look pretty sad.  :o(

Thanks for sharing!

• purple32
    edited January 2013
    Options

It's BLK and WHITE Victoria. I love it !
    Believe it or not, I just trimmed the baby finger a tad .  I have very long fingers.

Thanks- the nails arent all that great...I just have long nail beds. I'm tall!

• purple32
    edited January 2013
    Options

OK, one more and then I'm done playing wiht the camera!  (promise)
    I just love this Lymphediva sleeve...it's the paisely but has a tattoo look ( though they have others like the Dargon Lotus tattoo that are not as subtle)
    This is  an OTC arthritis dritz glove.

• Victoria38
    edited January 2013
    Options

Nice look with the glove!  Is that the purple paisley? I have the purple paisley gauntlet, but not the sleeve.  I wear a short medium, but they roll terribly on me so I would need a bigger size.  They don't have large short, and I'm afraid the large regular will be too long.  But one of these days I'm going to order one just to find out.

• hugz4u
    hugz4u Member Posts: 1,818
    edited January 2013
    Options

Purple, A while back you asked about my grey/white tye dye juzo. What did you want to know? I forget. 

Victoria,I sent you a PM.  You are short armed like me and tye dye fits me but anything that is dyed in a sleeve except beige is a bit tight on me around the axilla( I am conical arm shape) so be careful if you try.(can't remember if you have one) The lighter the colour the looser. Has anyone else found this to be true? This could work to my advantage for me, if I am between sizes, but I have not experimented with that.

Victoria, I just reread your above post, I thought they had a short large in lymphedivas. If not I bet Josh would market one if we ask.

Purple, Love that paisley. Does it look more like a real tatto or a tatto type tee shirt material. For me I don't want it too look like a tat but those screen print tatto long sleeve tee shirts are ok. Don't ask......... I am weird about this choice.Tongue Out

• Victoria38
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hugz - I have the Juzo Dream Sleeve in violet and mauve, and the soft sleeve in beige and black. These are my favorites, they are soft w/o giving up compression.  I don't notice any difference in tightness between the beige or colors.  Today I'm wearing my Juzo Varin and it really felt rough compared to the Dream sleeves.  I don't wear it very often for that reason.  I wish Juzo would make a short length!  I have pretty much decided to stick with Juzo, still I would like to have one LympheDiva.

• purple32
    edited January 2013
    Options

Victoria

It's beige and black paisley; not purple. I really love it.  This is a better view. The mirror pic is blurry :

http://www.lymphedivas.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3621&idcategory=

hugz

I *think* I know what you mean.  OK, I believe you would like this.  When I walked into my LEist home with this she took a double take and chuckled.  Then she said : " For a splt second, I thought you got tatts, but that is way cool! "  Really, I think it looks like a tight  long sleeve T shirt with screen printed tattoos.  JMO though.  I am wearing it in the mirror pic with my brown crafters OTC dritz, and I aslo wear it with the BLK  farrow glove when I feel I need more compression.

It would look great with a black T or a beige T.  Of course, function first, but as Victoria would day : " Girls just wanna' have fun!" Wink  That's the great thing about Lymphediva...they are fully functional RX sleeves.  (note added for any newbie or future newbies to come)

Hugz

I am not exactly sure what I asked about your tie dye, (length ?) but I have a call in to JUZO about their return policy on tie dye as well as all Dream Color sleeves return policy.  I am asking for some sort of a grace period for full refund or else exchange - perhaps just 7 days.  ( NOT just for me/ for all of us )

They will let me know next week, and I will post here. I will not order the tie dye unlss I know I can exchange it if I must. I just don't think it's fair to us .  As I explained to them - it's not as though it's  a sweater that I can pass onto a friend or cousin, AND *if* my ins . pays then my health may suffer because it is 1 out of my quota.  If I pay, I suffer ....

I DO have  a fitter, but I have seen mistakes made  ( on 2 custom gloves I was glad I could return) I also have had a  severe skin reaction to a sleeve- a SIGVARIS and was glad I didnt  get stuck with that one.

The lady I spoke  with was very understanding, but of course, she does not make policy.

We'll see!

• Victoria38
    edited January 2013
    Options

Purple, it would be great if you could get them to change their policy. I can understand a little more with the colors and tie dye, but I don't get it at all with black.  Still they are a big company they can absorb the losses if any.  No returns on mail order garments is crazy.  I already had a run-in with them over the same thing. 

Yay, I finally got my back supply of Imak Active gloves from Colonial.  They are soooo slow in shipping but they were offering a promo.  I'm going to freak if they discontinue these, they are pretty much my go to day gloves for around the house and driving.  I save my Farrow for dressier.

• LindaKR
    edited January 2013
    Options

Juzo has a 14 day fitting guarantee for custom garments, they do need to be fitted by a certified fitter and returned to the retailer, but they stand behind their work.  I can understand why many of these companies do not allow returns - it is a medical garment, and even trying it on could make it so that it could not be resold upon return, that's why I recommend going to a retailer and being fitted there, even if you don't buy, some do charge a fitting fee though if you don't purchase, then you can order on line once you know that you have the proper measurements and size!!! I personally would not want to purchase a garment, even if it had been washed, if it had been tried on by someone with any infection or skin issue - I guess those are the reasons that I understand the no return policy - they probably have to throw them away if they get them back, just like any other medical supply.

Though I think the Lymphediva is pretty cool, and have worn them, they aren't for everyone.

• purple32
    edited January 2013
    Options

, that's why I recommend going to a retailer and being fitted there,

but I have been fitted !  YET- My first pr of custom fitted gloves cut my thumb so deep it almost bled.  Caught it just in time.

The second pair felt like a vice and within 1 minute I took them off and said:" No thanks".  I'll be darned if the cause of my LE getting worse will be because of an ill fitting garment because I am ' stuck with it'.  IMO, none of us should have that concern.

Besides , there can be skin reactions or other reasons. I cant imagine why they cannot absorb the cost and perhaps even put into place  a policy stating  :"  No more than one return per customer"  or some such thing.   This would put ' flighty ' people or people not measured  by a fitter , in notice.   In any case,  I am quite sure it hurts my pocketbook a lot more than theirs .  Lets face it - these are NOT non profit companies. 
    I'm holding my ground, and  for ME, the jury is out until I get an answer.

Clothing companies take  returns all the time- things that have been worn or worn once aqnd even washed and shrank, things without tags- all items they cannot and do not sell again.

You make a good point Linda - perhaps Lymphedivas are not for everyone ( sorry , Josh  :>) which is why we need choices ...for those who cannot wear them

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited January 2013
    Options

Linda, good point about using a fitter for determining OTC sizing. They give you the opportunity to try the garment on before taking it home--and hopefully personalized donning and laundry instructions as well. You do have to be careful, though, that they don't try to pawn a garment off on you as "your size" just because it's the size they happen to have on hand. But other than that, making them responsible for the fit of the OTC garment makes good sense. No reason we should take the hit. Once we know the OTC size we can order online for better pricing and on-going service. And I agree--these are medical garments, often used on compromised skin. Custom is another matter, of course, but for OTC items, best to try-before-you-buy.

Thanks!
    Binney

• LindaKR
    edited January 2013
    Options

Exactly Binney - Purple were you able to return them?  I had a couple of poor fits (fitters), now I've found the best fitter, I told her she can't ever retire, or move or......  I try to pay really close attention to how she measures so that should I need to go elsewhere I'll know what to watch for.  I also realize that the first couple of times I depended on the fitter knowing what she was doing, because I didn't.  I wish I had taken some one with me that did know, like me LE-T.  I do think that I was definitely taken advantage of the first time, I think she sold me what was on the shelf.  I've had the same issues with prosthesis/mx bra fitting. My prosth/bra fitter and compression fitter are at different places, I've learned so much from them, they explain everything they're doing, what they are looking for, what may have been wrong with my old ones, .....  I'm trying to keep good notes so that if I have to go elsewhere I'll know what to look for, what questions to ask, etc..     Why should we have to learn this all on our own?   

• purple32
    edited January 2013
    Options

Why should we have to learn this all on our own?

I hear you, Linda! SO true.

I actually thought my fitter was an angel. She came out to measure on Black Friday. Seemed soooo nice .... I now wonder if she was just getting overtime.  You see, I later found out she had essentially' sat on' my order for  app. 6 weeks.  When I contacted someone they told me she had never faxed the order at all!  It wasnt that it slipped her mind.  I had been calling her and she lied to me and told me that is WAS faxed and that she had tried calling me three times . nada nada. Pants on fire ! Just not true.  I checked all my call logs, asked her what number she was trying etc etc ... like a  fool I belived her until I saw with my own eyes she had not called once.   I have no clue what her game was , but I  will never go to her again.

Thankfully, I was able to return those items.

Maybe I should have realized about her when my (former) " Fake LE'ist" as I have dubbed her said she was a member of her team and was " the greatest" (am I on the grrrr thread ?!)

If need be, I would ask my LE'ist to measure in the future.

============================================

*EDIT:  Btw, I happened across this little abstract, and I know it is not saying : " Dont  wear a sleeve" , but it does imply (to me ) that perhaps they are not so effective !   I am wondering ... has anyone gone days or weeks without compression and if so, with what results ? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17018707

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited January 2013
    Options

Purple, many women here with early-stage or easily-managed LE need garments only for unusually strenuous activities or travel and otherwise don't wear them at all. Others can get away with no compression at night and only wear it in the daytime. Still others were religious about bandaging and compression garments initially and then eventually found their lymph systems had found other ways to compensate and they could back off on compression. We're all different. On the other thread where you posted this I suggested how you might experiment with it safely if your LE is stable.

It's an older study, at any rate, and has been superceded by more recent work--as was suggested in the author's conclusion.

Be well!
    Binney

• purple32
    edited January 2013
    Options

Thanks, Binney.

I'll check the other thread as well.  It IS an older study , and for a split second it made me lose heart as I feel I am doing all I can for my LE. Let's face it , nobody WANTS to wear sleeves and gloves.  We do it because we believe it helps us .  Studies like those can be a little 'ruffling'. Yell

thx

• LindaKR
    edited January 2013
    Options

Mine was stable for a while, as, unless I was driving, execising, doing something strenous I didn't swell if I didn't wear my garments.  Right now I don't need to wear the truncal garments because I'm stable, but when something happens and I notice more swelling, I jump right back on the massage, garments, etc...  Sometimes I don't wear my night sleeve, and while I was waiting for the custom one piece I only did the MLD, and sometimes the Jovi night time sleeve, no day time sleeve and only wrapped a couple of times when I didn't see the LE-T, it pretty much stayed steady, I didn't do anything though that I could avoid that could cause issues.  But since I have my new sleeves, my swelling is less, because I'm more compliant.  Too much info I'm sure, but that's,  kind of the same answer as Binney gave - and remember that we only do what we can do, some days it just doesn't seem that important - Undecided

I have a friend whose arm is at least 1/2 again as big as her non LE arm, she ends up in the ER at least a couple of times a year with cellulitis, she wears a sleeve daily, but nothing at night and no glove, doesn't do MLD - I don't think that I'd handle it that way,but we each need to decide for ourselves what we will do -the same with the compliance to meds, treatment, exercise.....

• Victoria38
    edited January 2013
    Options

I think you're taking it wrong Purple, I think we all know arm sleeves are just for keeping things status quo.  They don't help reduce.  Only bandaging and MDL can do that.

I've never tired going w/o, but then I'm pretty new.  I wonder about those who do get to the occasional use only stage.  At some point they try it.  I guess you would have to wait till your arm was consistently down with little change. For me it's a struggle every day.  Every morning I unwrap like it's a X-mas present, I never know what I'm going to get.  Some mornings I'm happy as everything is down. Others I find I wrapped wrong and there are lumps here and there, or it didn't go down at all.  Grrrr!  

• purple32
    edited January 2013
    Options

I think we all know arm sleeves are just for keeping things status quo.

Yep, I did know that ....that article just got me thinking.

• Victoria38
    edited January 2013
    Options

My worry is that I'm not doing the MDL properly or it isn't working.  I no longer have access to my LE-t, so I feel kinda out there, on my own.  I guess I'm doing ok, but I haven't gotten any lower than my LE-t had taken me.  I'd feel much better if I could get a professional MLD at least once a week.  Or if I could get lower on my own, then I'd be more encouraged.