Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

ALL THINGS Gloves and sleeves

Comments

• LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304
    edited March 2015

I wondered when you said that lago?

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited March 2015

Dyslexic brain Loopy

• bc101
    bc101 Member Posts: 923
    edited March 2015

Thanks you guys.... All good tips here. I'm not giving up on Yoga. Like you said, it's just a matter of finding what works for you.

BTW....do most of you wear your sleeves and / or gaunlets, gloves every day?

• jennie93
    jennie93 Member Posts: 263
    edited March 2015

Thanks for the reminder Binney, I have gained 30 lbs from tamoxifen, and the sleeve was awfully tight at the top anyway to begin with, maybe I should try it on.....

• kicks
    kicks Member Posts: 319
    edited March 2015

I wear my day garments (sleeve and glove) all day everyday. I wear my night garment every night. I also use my FlexiTouch daily.

• GrammyR
    GrammyR Member Posts: 297
    edited March 2015

purple32- I appreciate the pic. I will be seeing the lymphedema clinic next week and hope to get a sleeve order. I think I would prefer a nude color choice though.

I am several years out from mastectomy and lymph node removal and have tried to live w/the pain and numbness under and down my arm and hand. Sad that I am only now getting treatment but I guess was borderline as no huge amount if swelling..I will know more by next week. I do go to the gym to excercise regularly. Am pretty sure Medicare may only cover some of the cost.

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    edited March 2015

I have not been able to wear my sleeves since my breast reduction/reconstruction surgery - 10 weeks ago. Pulling them on with assistance even hurt. Today is the first day back - my trunk is swollen and one upper arm but not severe enough to be too concerned but need to get back to it.. It's like starting all over again.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264
    edited March 2015

Grammy - I know about delayed treatment. Hope yours helps. My ALND was Sept 2013. I didn't start PT or LE treatment until Dec. 2014. So far the LE is mostly truncal. I do daily massage & wear sleeves & gloves for flying and when I'm exercising or working in the yard, etc. Learning to put them on for repetitive movement like stirring cookie batter. But this week I'm celebrating. For the first time in 18 months I have full range of motion in the right arm. Not saying there's no pain or swelling, just that I can actually move that arm 180 degrees.

GmaFoley - so sorry you have to start over. I've been really pleased with WearEase compression bras this time around. I still have a Belisse for heavy duty use.

• kicks
    edited March 2015

When you are saying 'pulling them on' - are you just sticking arm in and pulling it up or having it turned down so only wrist area goes in the smaller area and then 'rolling' the rest up arm? No 'pulling' done then. Very easy to do.

• LindaKR
    edited March 2015

It's that last little tug to get it in place that gives you the face punch. 😉

• lago
    edited March 2015

So glad I'm not the only one who has punched myself in the face every so often. It's been over 4 years on with the sleeve. Thank goodness no black eye (yet)

Loopy

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    edited March 2015

Linda - its also that last little tug that hurts the incisions since my surgery. No matter how I do it it hurts right at the end. Only wore them for about 5 hours yesterday. Having alot of trouble motivating to get back into them. Guess because all my swell seems to be more in the chest, but I find if I wear chest compression, the upper arms start to swell if I don't wear the sleeves.

• hugz4u
    hugz4u Member Posts: 1,818
    edited March 2015

GMA, It's great that you found something that works for you. Keep it up!

• KittyDog
    KittyDog Member Posts: 656
    edited March 2015

Sadly I have not been able to wear my new sleeve I got in December. I have been dealing with hives again. Arm is okay right now but just a wee bit puff under the arm at the top but chest sure does hurt and is swollen with the latest round of hives. Any advice for dealing with LE and hives? I also had another biopsy done two weeks ago. Negative for cancer and it shows I am dealing with hives. lol I could have told them that without cutting on me. They were almost better until I saw the dermatologist for the biopsy. They gave me samples of Topicort and a perscription. I learned a hard lesson...never trust your Dr. when prescribing creams. The sample were for cream and I used them first. It had lanolin in it and I am highly allergic to lanolin. grrr so going on week two of this break out. I already know I need to get back doing MLD but chest hurts still from the biopsy.

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833
    edited March 2015

kittydog:  that is terrible about your hives.  My sources tell me that betamethasone dipropionate cream or oint is lanolin free,,, however,, if you get RX for it,,, double check,  because it is available as a generic and there are many different generic manufacturers,,, be sure the one you get does not have lanolin in it before you walk away from the pharmacy counter. I looked at generic Actavis and it says lanolin free.  Hope you are feeling better soon.

• lago
    edited March 2015

Kittydog: I know I had hives twice. Both times the only way I got rid of it was a prescription of Claritin. Ask your MD. They were horrible. First time all over my chest, stomach, arms, hands, legs and started on my head before we found the solution. 2nd time it started on my arm but I knew what it was and called the doctor right away. This was way before my cancer diagnosis.

• KittyDog
    KittyDog Member Posts: 656
    edited March 2015

Thanks Ladies. Still have them. Trying a new pill but so far I itch worse. My dermatologist want let me use the topicort right now. I have to take a break because it thins the skin and I it's also radiated skin. They have clamed down some so maybe this will be the week they get better. My fist reaction to lanolin took two weeks to get rid of...so we will see what Friday brings. If not better...I am going to my FP and say forget the dermatologist.

• lago
    edited March 2015

Forgot to mention they tried steriods to get rid of them too. Only the Claritin worked.

• crystalphm
    crystalphm Member Posts: 277
    edited March 2015

BC101, you have to move slow with the yoga, not push yourself, if you can't get into the position, then get close. Downward dog is often not recommended, as well as putting a lot of weight on your arms if you re not used to it. Always wear compression for yoga. If anyone has a different idea, please tell me! I have a lot of yoga issues and just have to accept this is the new normal for me.

Who is getting these things paid for by insurance? Blue Cross is not paying for mine. The sleeve and gauntlet, custom, come to about $375 total. I am not on medicare. anone getting this paid for?

• sandcastle
    sandcastle Member Posts: 289
    edited March 2015

My insurance which is BS now, It does NOT allow for payment........it is whatever your  place of employment contracted for.....will be on Medicare soon......Liz

• doxie
    doxie Member Posts: 700
    edited March 2015

Kittydog,

It may take weeks for a bad allergic reaction to clear up. It took me three months for hives to disappear after having a terrible head to toe reaction to Neulasta. Steroids and benedryl simultaneously over two weeks slowed it down, so I could tolerate it. I have a lot of food/dye allergies and these can linger for several weeks.

• kareenie
    kareenie Member Posts: 97
    edited March 2015

Crystal my custom one piece glove-sleeve combo is paid for by UHC. First I have to get an out of network gap exception for the fitter. Then have to pay upfront and bill insurance myself. The key is using code L8010 Mastectomy Sleeve. Perhaps this makes it fall under the womens health breast cancer whatsit law.

• bc101
    edited March 2015

Crystal - yes, thanks for the tip. The hardest part is finding just the right Yoga class and I think I found that at the Y. I heard that, too, about down dog. Problem is, a lot of poses they say not to do are the basic core of any Yoga class, even Gentle Yoga. I usually do cat-cow when everyone is doing those, but then there are sun salutations, cobra, etc. and the list goes on. I just try not to hold the poses and adapt as best I can. I do wear a sleeve, but one of my therapists is thinking I may need a different type - I think she said flat weave?? One suggested bringing my bandages and wrapping around my sleeve for extra support if needed. I'm sooo paranoid even with a little amount of swelling. It took me too long to get rid of it before so I'm very cautious now. I'm going in for a fitness evaluation with a therapist who is an expert on treating bc survivors and knows a lot about Yoga and Pilates, so am looking forward to getting help in this area.

• crystalphm
    crystalphm Member Posts: 277
    edited March 2015

Kareenie, Thank you so much for this information!

bs101, I do go to a special class for cancer survivors, and even still, you are right, the basic poses of yoga can cause discomfort and an ache in my arm afterwards, even wearing the compression. Please post again after you see the fitness eval. therapist, I want to continue yoga, but it makes me feel nervous, and I feel awkward doing such a little bit in the class.

• GrammyR
    GrammyR Member Posts: 297
    edited March 2015

kareenie- I am hoping my Medicare plan will pay some of the sleeve and glove cost. I sure don't have a spare $400.Got measured today, go back to Lymphedema clinic next week. I will also be calling my insurance company. I get a cost free Silver Sneakers gym membership w/my health plan too- so have started exercising three times a week. My lymphedema is much later since my mastectomy but combined w/neuropathy is pretty painful.

• kicks
    edited March 2015

I do not have to deal with 'insurances so have no idea on dealing with them. I get my garments through VA, so they are ordered and I get them.

As I have said before, I have issues that require custom garments and if did take several times to get glove 'right' for my somewhat 'webbed' hand.

• LindaKR
    edited March 2015

bc101- are you on medicare and do you have a medicare supplement or advantage plan (I'm assuming UHC is United HealthCare)?

According to everything I can find, Medicare and Medicare Supplements do not pay for compression garments!  

• Jmo06
    Jmo06 Member Posts: 40
    edited March 2015

crystalphm mom has florida blue and did pay for sleeve..maybe you can appeal denial

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833
    edited March 2015

I have FL Blue and it looks like they will cover sleeves WITH A prescription!!  Be sure and have a RX. I billed 2 last year, and because I bought them online at a "out of network" place, the price went to my out of network deductible. But that seems to tell me that they are covered at least.  I just have to find an in-network place to order my tie dyed ones!

• bc101
    edited March 2015

Yes, these garments should be covered by insurance - with an RX, of course. How many they will supply depends on your coverage. I have new insurance this year (Medica), so I'm not sure how many I'll get. My last insurance (BCBS) covered 2 compression items per quarter. So, I could get 1 camisole and 1 sleeve w/gauntlet or glove, or 2 sets of sleeves w/gauntlet or glove, OR 2 mastectomy bras per quarter. But this year, who knows.... Even my insurance company couldn't tell me. They just said we need a code. So, I usually let the shops figure it out.

Isn't there a law out there that compression sleeves must be covered for lymphedema? Or is it optional for insurance companies? I'm told the sleeves last 6 months.