Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage III Cancer Survivors ...Five + Years and Out.

Comments

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,606
    edited April 2014

Denise-G      Thanks....that worked.  Great article.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited April 2014

The article made it sound like the drug was only for Stage IV.  It didn't address preventing Stage III from progressing to Stage IV, did it?

• shelly56
    shelly56 Member Posts: 142
    edited April 2014

Denise, thanks for the article.  It raises more questions than answers for me, however.  And the report on the national news wasn't near as informative.  I also heard it may help with other cancers -- and they did say it was successful for er/pr positive BC. 

Shelly

• shelly56
    edited April 2014

Maggs & Denise:  Here is another article on Paloma with different "criteria" somewhat for those that may benefit. 

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT01942135?show_locs=Y

Shelly

• peacestrength
    peacestrength Member Posts: 236
    edited April 2014

I just read several articles regarding this new drug - they said it was tested on "locally advanced" bc and metastatic bc.  What does locally advanced mean?  I thought it was locally advanced if bc spreads to local lymph nodes.  

• Marie715
    Marie715 Member Posts: 9
    edited April 2014

Peacestrength - My understanding of locally advanced is what you said.  My bc is locally advanced because it did spread to the lymph nodes under my arms and in the breast but it did not metastasize to other organs or to the bones.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited April 2014

I see my onc later this month and I'll ask her about it.  From everything I've been reading, they use the word "metastatic" and "progression."  This doesn't sound like Stage 3.

• janie44
    janie44 Member Posts: 25
    edited April 2014

No, I had zero hormone receptors so could not go the hormone route.  The drug was Herceptin in its early stages 10 years ago.

Congrats Lottonodes and all the rest who have reached milestones.  Thanks everybody for the kind words.

• Unknown
    edited April 2014

Hi, this thread has a specific purpose:  to announce anniversaries.  Please move discussions regarding treatment to another thread.  I do understand how easy it is to get caught up and get off track so please don't take this request iin a bad way.  I'm just trying to keep the thread on track for its intended purpose.

• shelly56
    edited April 2014

Always - yes, we tend to like to "discuss" things on discussion boards.  Think of our previous posts as "hopeful" because this news was about a "groundbreaking" drug.  Is that cool or what ?

• shelly56
    edited April 2014

It was exactly 5 years ago today that I found myself sitting in the chemo chair for the first time.  Still so depressing to think of it, but, am HAPPY to be here to even tell you all !   Sending hugggzzz

Shelly

• jenni__ca
    jenni__ca Member Posts: 77
    edited April 2014

shelley ... way to go on so many years  ....

every once in a while i have a 'flashback' to those days ...whew .... sweat on the brow !!

• Bec65
    Bec65 Member Posts: 84
    edited April 2014

Thank you, jenni, shelly, janie, all 5+'ers.....your stories are just what I needed to hear today!  

• JudyO
    JudyO Member Posts: 18
    edited April 2014

I don't come on here often, once in awhile check out the news section to see what new things are in the pipeline. And then once in awhile I need some support and checked out the survival stories. Just wanted to post that coming up in May I will be 6 years with ILC and 7 positive nodes. On arimidex for 5 1/2 years and will continue until studies are done to let us know what is the maximum length of time we should stay on the arimidex. Onc is worried about the positive nodes so we are staying aggressive. Good luck to all of us...I have faith that soon they will be able to either cure or control breast cancer.

• Bec65
    edited April 2014

Thank you and congrats, Judy!

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,606
    edited April 2014

Shelly...congrats on 5 years!!!

Judy...congrats on 6 years next month!!

• Unknown
    edited April 2014

Okay, here's the deal.  Years ago a wonderful poster here created the original version of this thread.  It was truly wonderful and gave many hope.  Then for reasons unknown the poster decided to leave the board and asked the mods to delete all her posts/threads.  It was a tragic loss to lose the thread.  So we decided to start over and I created a new thread for us to post anniversaries to show that 'yes, you can survive long term with a stage 3 diagnosis' and have a good life to boot.

I try to keep the thread on track so that the message doesn't get lost.  However, I'm not the thread police and if  nobody cares about passing this message on to those coming after us then so be it.  Discuss the weather, the latest pop gossip, how many gallons of sirzzup Justin Bieber guzzles,  or how often your cat poops.  

This is YOUR legacy to those who follow.  If you don't care then I've got much better ways to spend my time and I can do without the disrespect for trying to do something good.

• Bec65
    edited April 2014

Alwayshope, I'm so sorry that anyone griped at you...I agree with your goals for this thread.  I have it marked as a favorite, and my heart instantly lifts when I see there's a new post.  The stories -- long and short -- from those who are loving life 5+ years from dx are what I need as a reminder that there's always hope.  

Everyone, maybe when we veer off topic, we each can remember to look up a good thread to move the conversation to and make that suggestion in a post?  We all have so much we want to share with each other, and there seems to be a thread for everything here.  

Thanks, alwayshope! I'm so grateful you took the lead in starting up this thread again!

• Deblc
    Deblc Member Posts: 154
    edited April 2014

Always Hope ...as a newly diagnosed stage III, I was very happy to find this thread and I fully support your intention. I would hope all posters would respect your request to keep on track, without sniping. This thread is a great comfort to us newbies.

• shelly56
    edited April 2014

Always - sorry you feel disrespected, but rest assured, even though we all may stray a bit off topic, the message is never lost.  I enjoy seeing what others' information and experiences have to offer, after all, knowledge is power I truly believe it. 

Jenni, Bec& Karen - thank you SO MUCH for the congrats at 5 years. 

Judy - congrats on the 6 years next month !!    You're giving us HOPE .... 

Shelly

• peacestrength
    edited April 2014

Shelly and Judy - Thank you for sharing and giving me true hope!

Always - This thread provides me hope in my darkest moments.

• Delvzy
    Delvzy Member Posts: 454
    edited April 2014

mags I had terrible fatigue the whole time I was on Tamoxifern but now I am 2 months off it and all my old energy has come back

• fondak
    fondak Member Posts: 271
    edited April 2014

Alwayshope,  I remember the thread you are talking about.  It was such an encouragement to me when I was diagnosed and would go back to it on challenging days.  I was so disappointed to see it removed.  I am a little over my half way mark to 5 years and I still miss it.  I appreciate what you've done here and hope you will remind us to stay on target here so many others will find encouragement as well.

Thanks also to all of you who have been sharing your milestones with us. 

• StefS
    StefS Member Posts: 17
    edited May 2014

It's great to hear of all the gals 5+ years out! I'm just dropping by to say hi to old friends and for those new on this journey. I don't think of bc often, but the panic can still set in. In the shower a couple of months ago I paid more attention to some bumps on my arms and all of a sudden my mind goes "skin mets?" Then I remembered the same looking bumps when going through treatment & my onc saying it looked liked an allergic reaction. LOL Then I was breathing again. I can't wait for July to hit my 10 yr of finishing all treatment. Though I'm not looking forward to summer temps -- still have hot flashes.

• hmh23
    hmh23 Member Posts: 50
    edited May 2014

StefS thx so much for posting.  Your success story is exactly what I needed to hear tonight.  Heather 

• Delvzy
    Delvzy Member Posts: 454
    edited May 2014

thank you for posting amazing continued good health to you stefS

• shelly56
    edited May 2014

Stef -- I would love it if my onc only wanted me on hormonal therapy until 10 years.  However, she is going to recommend staying on it indefinitely.  OK with me as long as I don't have nasty SE's develop.  Congrats to you on 10 yrs this summer !! I agree our minds like to wonder (and wander) about anything out of the norm -- does that ever go away?

Shelly

• StefS
    StefS Member Posts: 17
    edited May 2014

Yes it does Shelly. Well, maybe not go away, but I had had those bumps for a couple of weeks before my mind thought of mets! So it does improve the longer you get out.

Wishing all continued good health and for the newbies, you will get through this.

• peacestrength
    edited May 2014

Stef - thanks for posting!  

• Bec65
    edited May 2014

Thank you, StefS, and congratulations!