Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage III Cancer Survivors ...Five + Years and Out.

Options

Comments

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,520
    edited February 2014
    Options

Shelly....I endured and I mean endured 3 1/2 years of AI's with way too many side effects that were affecting my quality of life.  The benefits that the AI's might have provided were no longer worth the damage they were doing.  I started on Arimidex soon after finishing chemo and within 5 months I had developed severe CTS in both wrists including the beginning of nerve damage.  I had surgery on my right wrist, the worse one and while waiting to do the other wrist, I switched AI's to Femara which was worse than Ariimidex...after a month, I tried tamox.  While on the tamox the CTS went away in my left  wrist.  Tamox was awful. So after a couple week break I started on Aromasin....during the course of a year, I developed bilateral deQuervanes tendonitis in both wrists that necessitated surgery.  So 3 surgeries on my wrists, thanks to AI's.  While on Arimidex I also had horrid joint pain, insomnia and night sweats.  On Aromasin, the insomnia, night sweats, depression, anxiety, cognitive issues to name a few of the wonderful side effects.  I was taking Rx after Rx to just function!!!  Finally after 3 1/2 years, I said enough is enough!!!  My oncologist gave me a 2 month break....when I went back after 2 months, oncologist walked into the office and said to me, "you're not going back on them are you" (or something like that).  And I said you're right!!!   Next month is 4 years since I stopped the AI's.  My onc asks at every visit if I want to try them again and my answer is always a resounding NO!!!  Life is so much better off the AI's....I'm not taking all the Rx....insomnia has gotten so much better, function so much better cognitively, not as depressed etc.  I've made peace that I've done everything in my power to beat the beast!!!

Sorry to be so long winded...but I'm just one of the gals that the AI's caused too much collateral damage!!!  Thank G-d, I've been NED for so long...I see my onc next month and will get confirmation then if NED is still my best friend.

Oh yeah,....I'm one of those that count from day of Dx!!!

Hugs back at you!!!   Karen

• shelly56
    shelly56 Member Posts: 142
    edited February 2014
    Options

Karen - you sound like you're truly going to be NED forever now.  WOOHOO !  Thanks for your input on the AI's.  I'm pretty much ok with doing tamox for now, but if the Arimidex & Femara are as ugly on me as they were for you, I'm going to reconsider.  Stay strong !

Shelly

• katyand4
    katyand4 Member Posts: 32
    edited February 2014
    Options

Congrats on 5 years.  Wishing you continued good health and happiness.

• Delvzy
    Delvzy Member Posts: 454
    edited February 2014
    Options

hi Karen congrats I count mine from dx as well. I have just finished up after 5 years of Tamoxifern onc want me to go onto 5 years of Al's I have said no my body had had enough Judy 

• karen1956
    edited February 2014
    Options

Hi Judy!!  Congrats to you as well!!

• caaclark
    caaclark Member Posts: 19
    edited February 2014
    Options

Just  popping in to share that I have just celebrated 8 years of survival after a stage III diagnosis.  I was diagnosed at age 40, no family history, small lump that was not picked up on mammo (only 1.6 cm) and 6+ lymph nodes with one or two of those having extra capsular extension.  At the time I was diagnosed my girls were 4, 6 and 8.  My oldest is currently looking at colleges and learning to drive.  I NEVER thought I would be here but here I am!!

• Bec65
    Bec65 Member Posts: 84
    edited February 2014
    Options

Carol, congratulations, and thank you SOOOOOO much for sharing your news!  It means so much to those of us in the middle of treatment.

• maggs09
    maggs09 Member Posts: 74
    edited February 2014
    Options

this is so amazing that ladies who are staying healthy over many years past stage III dx do find a time to stop in and share their good news. 

It gives so much hope to all of us!

Thank you!

• peacestrength
    peacestrength Member Posts: 236
    edited February 2014
    Options

Thank you for coming back and sharing, Carol!  So grateful for your words of wisdom.

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700
    edited February 2014
    Options

everyminute, wow what a great face for drawing you have! i might, if its okay with you. ver pensive. congratulations on five years everybody.

• karen1956
    edited February 2014
    Options

Carol....congrats!!!  yes, its hard to believe how big our kids are getting!!!  my youngest is the same age as your oldest!!!  Wishing you many more years of celebrating life!!!!

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited February 2014
    Options

Just came by to say its 7years since Mx and even though I have had a couple of nasty scares I got the all clear today. I love NED so much.  Karen great that you the same, yeah.

Hugs to all

• karen1956
    edited February 2014
    Options

Alyson....YEAH...doing the happy dance for you :)  NED....I see my onc next month and look for confirmation that NED is still my bff :)

• Bugs
    Bugs Member Posts: 21
    edited February 2014
    Options

Alyson and Carol, congrats!  So good to hear :)

• Delvzy
    edited February 2014
    Options

congrats girls fantastic news 

• gardenbird
    gardenbird Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2014
    Options

Just logging in to say that I am 7 years from diagnosis on 14th February.  When I had my lump biopsied the surgeon said "you will have the results on the 14th (of Feb).  I said "Oh that's the anniversary of my engagement".  He said "you will be drinking champagne then....or not".   Well I wasn't.  Diagnosed with 2.5cm lump and 24 nodes cancerous.  Terrifying indeed.  Well let me tell you all, this year on the 14th February, 7 years after that scare, I went back to Dublin to celebrate my engagement there 27 years ago and I did drink champagne last Thursday!!  Hoping for many more years for me and for us allHappy  (I'm still scared though).

• mpetago
    mpetago Member Posts: 54
    edited February 2014
    Options

Ten year anniversary today!! Wanted to make sure I got on here for THIS one!! I was 35 and my son was 8 when I was diagnosed; now 45 and 18 :) Wow, never thought I'd be here to say that, my tumor was HUGE and extremely aggressive, but here I am.  Congratulations to all the women celebrating their milestones here!!!

• Bec65
    Bec65 Member Posts: 84
    edited February 2014
    Options

Congratulations, Alyson, irisheyes, and mpetego!  Thank you so much for sharing such good news!

• bejuce
    bejuce Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2014
    Options

5 years today, hooray!!!! I've dreamed of writing this post often.  This thread gave me so much hope during my journey and I'm thankful to all of you for sharing your stories.  I had times where I thought I would never get here and yet here I am doing well.  I had neo-adjuvant chemo for a large tumor and woke up from my double mastectomy with the surgeon telling us "it was a battle in there".  The tumor was gone in the breast at surgery but I had traces of cells in 11 lymph nodes! I sure thought I was doomed.  There's always hope with the power of medicine, exercise and a supportive community. I can't wait for the next 5 years to write a 10 year post!!!

• Holeinone
    Holeinone Member Posts: 1,418
    edited February 2014
    Options

bejuce

Mpetago

Irisheyes.

CONGRATULATIONS !!   I love to hear your wonderful news, give me hope.   

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited February 2014
    Options

I so much APPRECIATE all of you coming back with this great, encouraging news!

Sending hugs and best wishes!!  YIPPEE!!

• peacestrength
    peacestrength Member Posts: 236
    edited February 2014
    Options

Wow - thank you ladies for spreading hope!

• Fitzy
    Fitzy Member Posts: 55
    edited February 2014
    Options

Awesome news everyone. Irisheyes, it is so fabulous that you can celebrate 10 years and an 18th. I celebrated my 9th last year with my eldest turning 18 a few months later, it is such an awesome feeling. Well done everyone.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,057
    edited February 2014
    Options

We're delighted to read such great news from so many of you - congratulations!

• Delvzy
    edited February 2014
    Options

Thank you ladies for hope and such good news Bejuice and Mpetago did you also do hormone therapy?

• shelly56
    edited February 2014
    Options

Delvzy: from what I see, Mpetago took tamoxifen. I just think it's great that it's been 1 years !!

Shelly

• shelly56
    edited February 2014
    Options

Supposed to have said "10" years !!!!

• hopefour
    hopefour Member Posts: 104
    edited February 2014
    Options

Thank you all for the stories of HOPE!

• Bugs
    Bugs Member Posts: 21
    edited February 2014
    Options

Congrats bejuce!  

• 13kkan
    13kkan Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2014
    Options

Just wanted to join this discussion.  I have to give my decision to my MO in two weeks regarding AI.  I already have pain from arthritis, and very fine thin hair that bearly covers my head as a result of chemo. Daily pain from my surgery 11 months ago.  I fear that taking AI will further reduce my already sucky  QOL.  *sigh*  I don't even want to "just try them" for fear that any side effects I might have will not be reversable.  My self esteem is in the toilet as it is.  I am in therapy as a result of my BC diagnosis.  

Now I will get some cheese to go with this whine. 

Kerry