Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage III Cancer Survivors ...Five + Years and Out.

Comments

• Fitzy
    Fitzy Member Posts: 55
    edited March 2014

Fabulous news, Janie. Enjoy retirement and good luck with the next 10 years.

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,606
    edited March 2014

Janie - 10 years!!! that is a milestone!! I'm 8 years and 10 seems so much longer!!  Wishing you many more years of celebrating!! Enjoy your new "career"....Karen

• art133
    art133 Member Posts: 17
    edited March 2014

Janie that's amazing.. really encouraging.. i wish u many more years ahead... :))

• lkc
    lkc Member Posts: 182
    edited March 2014

A big FAT Congratulations Janie!!!!  so good to see you! and for all the other ladies that have met the five year out club.

I myself, am headed for the BIG 9 years from a nasty a** stage IIIC her 2 pos tumor, blah, blah bah. in a coupleof months!
    doing the happy dance , belly laughing every day and bursting with gratitude!

• Delvzy
    Delvzy Member Posts: 454
    edited March 2014

Janie congrats fantastic news makes us all have hope thank you Jude 

• etoile
    etoile Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2014

Wow! thanks for sharing. You gave me hope. 

• katyand4
    katyand4 Member Posts: 32
    edited March 2014

Always good to pop in and read these survival stories.  Congratulations to Janie & Raluca, wishing you both continued health and happiness.

• Fitzy
    Fitzy Member Posts: 55
    edited March 2014

I'm up early to go kayaking in the Royal National Park, just south of Sydney. Had an amazing thunderstorm late yesterday but it's all clear this morning, should be a beautiful sunrise soon! Enjoy the weekend, as best as you can, everyone.

• Holeinone
    Holeinone Member Posts: 1,418
    edited March 2014

Fitzy,

Sounds like a perfect day, enjoy!

• Lottanodes
    Lottanodes Member Posts: 19
    edited March 2014

I found my pathology report from 1995 today while I was searching for income tax documents.   Because I had 22 positive lymph nodes with multiple enlarged nodes (3cm and 4 cm), the size of the tumor didn't seem to be an issue.  Out of curiosity, I googled  "7cm X 6cm breast cancer tumor" and found an image showing the size of a 5cm tumor - HOLY SHIT!  I then searched for info on staging and landed on this site. 

I just wanted to let you know that there are long time stage III NEDS out there who don't eat organic, rarely exercise, anger easily, exasperate their grown children,  and are not strictly compliant with medical providers' advice.  If this gives you any hope, take it.

• maggs09
    maggs09 Member Posts: 74
    edited March 2014

lottanodes, thank you! I've been having some low days recently as 3 of my bc sisters relapsed during last few weeks. I needed to hear such a positive and full hope story!

Thank you! 

• Bec65
    Bec65 Member Posts: 84
    edited March 2014

Lottanodes, congratulations!  I love your post and that you're doing so happily well!  Tell me what part of Sac. you're in -- I want to drink that water too!

• karen1956
    edited March 2014

Lottanodes....18+ years!!!  That's awesome....thanks for stopping by to share your story!!!!  Karen

• Holeinone
    Holeinone Member Posts: 1,418
    edited March 2014

Lottanodes.....thanks for sharing, we all need/want to hear success stories like yours! Continued good health.

• Delvzy
    Delvzy Member Posts: 454
    edited March 2014

Omg lotta nodes that is an amazing story I want some of that water too.

• kimf
    kimf Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2014

Janie! Congrats on 10 years! That's the best! And 1/2 way through your Herceptin study already, can you believe it? Wish I was on that study still today! Only had the one  year and still wish I was on as a safety net, but all okay here, too at 9+ years! Lottanodes, congrats to you, too, on 18 years! Thats double me and super encouraging since I'm not a big organic eater or exerciser either. Thanks for the insight and keep on keeping on! Hello to all! 

• Gitane
    Gitane Member Posts: 58
    edited March 2014

Thank you long-term survivors for taking the time to share your good news with us.  Sharing hope, as you are doing here, is a wonderful gift.

• Lottanodes
    Lottanodes Member Posts: 19
    edited March 2014

I'm so glad that I could offer some encouragement about long term survival.  Since treatment has changed so much since I was diagnosed I don't feel equipped to give advice when newly diagnosed women ask me question about treatment.  I always suggest that they seek a 2nd opinion and to not put too much importance on the "odds". 

• wintersocks
    wintersocks Member Posts: 434
    edited March 2014

Hey lottanodes,

Love your refreshing take: 'don't eat organic, angers easily......... you sound fun! I too can tick that list, and now I don't feel to bad!  It's lovely to hear you are so well.

• lkc
    lkc Member Posts: 182
    edited March 2014

Lottanodes, You are one phenomenal lady!

• Cindi2011
    Cindi2011 Member Posts: 84
    edited March 2014

Lottanodes, I don't post often but always read.......You just made my day!  Please come back often and check in.  Many, many more years of happiness and life to you.  Congrats!

• yogamama
    yogamama Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2014

Keep posting the survival stories, ladies. You give me hope.  I wanna be one of you 5++++++ years from now.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 35
    edited March 2014

Lottanodes,  Thanks so much for sharing your experience.  And I so love your advice!ThumbsUp

Oceana

marvelous-nicole-rodriguez.jpg (180×119)

• Unknown
    edited April 2014

Congrats to all of our survivors and wow Lotta on the 18 years.  I don't follow a diet either...you can have my Sonic cheeseburger with mustard when you pry it from my cold fat hands!

• janie44
    janie44 Member Posts: 25
    edited April 2014

Hey Kim!   So glad to hear from you.  At this stage of the longitudinal study, my oncologist sends my annual status to Mayo and occasionally they send me a survey or give me a call.  The first few years when the clinical trial was new, there was a lot of action and excitement....I remember listening to the national news one night when they said it had been announced at the medical convention that the trial was so successful it was the biggest breakthrough in BC in 20 years!  I screamed  "That's my trial."  My prognosis went from poor, unfavorable to good overnight!  And here I am 10 years later telling about it!  Nine years.... you are right behind me.

Lexi,  So good to hear from you too and congrats on approaching your 9th year as well and on your daughter's graduation and college.  My daughter is getting married in June!  And like you,  the Mom of the Bride will be there front and center and grateful --- in my big ol hat!  Not because I have to wear it, but because I want to.  LOL

And Fitzy..... you are my inspiration.

Here's to another decade ladies!!

• shelly56
    shelly56 Member Posts: 142
    edited April 2014

Janie -- congrats on 10 years !!  Are you on any hormonals?  What was the drug in your trial?  Just saw on news this morning that a Pfizer drug for ER/PR positive bc is "groundbreaking".  I hope so!! 

• maggs09
    maggs09 Member Posts: 74
    edited April 2014

Jennie 44, what trial are you referring to? I haven't been much on bco since my return to work with takes up all my energy lol;

Shelly56 what new Pfizer drug ER/PR + is a groundbreaking? 

I've been on the top of things but not anymore 😒, doing well but frustrated with luck of time and an excessive fatigue... does it ever go away?

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited April 2014

• karen1956
    edited April 2014

Clicked on the link and only the first couple lines of the article was there....do you need to subscribe to the WSJ to be able to read the article?

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited April 2014

Let's try this one!  Here is a link to a news story about new Pfizer Breast Cancer

Drug PALBOCICLIB -

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/5282/20140407/pfizers-breast-cancer-drug-palbociclib-slows-down-tumor-growth-shows-hope-for-advanced-cases.htm