Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage III Cancer Survivors ...Five + Years and Out.

Comments

• wam
    wam Member Posts: 98
    edited June 2016

oaktownmom thank you for your wonderful news. Five years is huge!!!

• LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304
    edited June 2016

I was triple positive stage 3a, diagnosed 3/2010.....still NED. Nerdy

• live_deliciously
    live_deliciously Member Posts: 183
    edited June 2016

so awesome. Very happy for you. I see you had ovary removal. My Dr hasn't promoted that but I'm wonderingbif i should. Glad you came back to post. Many thanks.

• fightergirl711
    fightergirl711 Member Posts: 190
    edited July 2016

LindaKR - as a fellow triple-positive-stage-3a survivor (I start rads next week, still on Herceptin) I LOVE SEEING YOUR POSTS! :)

• ash123
    ash123 Member Posts: 44
    edited July 2016

Thank you LindaKR.

• Jill900
    Jill900 Member Posts: 7
    edited July 2016

I reached my five years on June 13. Don't have the 'official' mammogram until July 22, but hey, 5 years is 5 years!

• AliceS
    AliceS Member Posts: 74
    edited July 2016

Oh Jill--what fabulous news!! Celebrate for sure!!! You must have such a wonderful feeling of freedom--puts things in perspective. AND gives me such hope since I'm her2+ -er-pr, stage 3a also. Not many with this same DX that I can find. You didn't say the size of your tumor or if you had nodes involved. Thank goodness for Herceptin and now Perjeta. Life is good--and the future looks bright!

Stephanie

• ladyb1234
    ladyb1234 Member Posts: 1,239
    edited July 2016

Woot! Woot! Jill. Celebrating with you. 💝💝💯

• Jill900
    Jill900 Member Posts: 7
    edited July 2016

Stephanie my tumor was measured as 3.8 cm and I had one positive node on my side just under the arm. Also near the tumor there was what was described to me as a 'matted' area of lymph nodes more than 3 and less than nine.

Also had neoadjuvant chemotherapy and had a complete pathological response. It was grueling physically and emotionally draining and I still think about it sometimes, not nearly as much with the passage of time.

Hope all continues to go well for you.

• AliceS
    AliceS Member Posts: 74
    edited July 2016

Thank you, Jill, for responding. You've done very well with that DX----Honestly am so happy for you. We wouldn't be so fortunate if this had been a few years ago-- as you know--before Herceptin. Thankful every day---am sure you are, too. Keep posting and encourage others. Cyber hugs---

Stephanie

• Valstim52
    Valstim52 Member Posts: 833
    edited July 2016

I envy those of you that have perjeta and herceptin. Being TN, after rads we are just on our own. Though there are studies about xeloda for those not stage IV, most MO's are not onboard due to the fact if you do progress, then you don't have that in your arsenal and it really helps in late stage.

I enjoy your posts and it still gives me hope. HOpe more Tn's post.

• formyloves
    formyloves Member Posts: 11
    edited July 2016

I MADE IT!!!!!! I am officially a 5 year from diagnosis SURVIVOR. I remember reading all these amazing stories and quietly hoping I would get to post mine. I was dx at 26 with stage 3c had a husband 2 kids and was an LVN. NOW 5 years later I have that and more. I own a home I am an RN, should have my bachelors in 6 mos, I am currently heading back home from a weekend trip in my RV. I am a nursing director for a 120 bed facility. Yes, I do not no what tomorrow will bring. I have lived 5 years with a cancer diagnosis, and for the last year I have spent learning how to THRIVE with stage IV metz. Point is we never know what tomorrow will bring. New treatments are coming all the time. I have big hopes and dreams. I am successful and 31. I have cancer.... It does NOT have me!!!!

Wishing you all happy memories and the ability to dream. Mourn the loss of the life you expected and move on. We aren't dead yet!!!!

• Crazywabbit
    Crazywabbit Member Posts: 54
    edited July 2016

congratulations, I hope the future bodes well for you. You have accomplished so much in 5 years.

• Bec65
    Bec65 Member Posts: 84
    edited July 2016

formyloves, that is such an uplifting post! Congratulations on all you have accomplished, and thank you, thank you, thank you!

• jennyboog
    jennyboog Member Posts: 23
    edited July 2016

Today is 6 yrs for me! BC forever changed my life but it did not define it. It's now just a passing thought...I never thought I'd ever say that! I still take Aromasin, guess I always will. I still have aches and pains and I still fear it's return once in a while but I don't let it consume me like I once did. I don't come here like I use to, but this website with you wonderful ladies was my security blanket so many days. It will get better, you will make it through this, keep the faith and stay strong. Love ya'll!

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited July 2016

Hello, Jenny, how nice to see you again! Your "what a difference a year makes" post was a beacon of hope for me, back when I was first diagnosed. Thank you, thank you, for the light you provided when I felt so dark, scared, and sad. Here's to another six, and many more after that.

• live_deliciously
    edited July 2016

thanks Jenny. So good to hear your success. Loving it! Keep coming back and updating us. Gives us hope!

• nancyartcrafts
    nancyartcrafts Member Posts: 24
    edited July 2016

you are a thriver AND have worked hard to get where you are with a family and career going full bore! How you did it all amazes me. Kudos! By the way, how did you get the quote about "life is not measured... to appear under your post

• formyloves
    formyloves Member Posts: 11
    edited August 2016

Nancy, I have no idea how I got it under there. It was a year or so ago when I did it.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited August 2016

Nancyartcrafts, go to "Discussion Board Settings" and click on "signature." You can enter whatever you want there.

• hopefour
    hopefour Member Posts: 104
    edited August 2016

So nice to hear from you Jennyboog…Congrats!!! I finally had my five year check-up ( that was due in May, but was cancelled twice by my MO) today and all is great. So now I feel I can post my five year post!!! As a newbie I checked this thread out everyday, hoping each new post would be someone with similar stats to mine that was five or more years out... thankful for these five years. Wish I could give anyone full of fear today a hug! But, I can tell you you are NOT ALONE. This BC journey takes courage and strength…congrat yourself for keeping your appointments, taking your treatments and choosing to focus on the next moment with HOPE!!

I read everything I could about BC and studied much of the research in regards to diet, lifestyle, exercise and supplements after treatment was done. MD Anderson told me that keeping my weight down would give me the most benefit from my Als and that I needed to exercise everyday. Even though I did all these changes to hopefully keep me in remission, the biggest benefit is that it has helped me go from a size 14 to a 4, drop blood pressure meds and given me more vitality. We will only live our own convictions…so my encouragement to you is to read, study and make choices you may want to make to your life style after treatment. I also have made the decision to stay on my Als for 10 years. Hoping the very best to each of you!

• Hopeful56
    Hopeful56 Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2016

I made it to 5 years! So very happy and thankful!

• Valstim52
    edited August 2016

Thanks so much ladies you give us newbies hope. I'm almost done with rads, and have implemented some dietary changes and as soon as I can more exercise. I've been able to maintain a pretty good walking regimen Plan to kick up

• live_deliciously
    edited August 2016

hopefour and hopeful. so happy for you both. I can totally relate to researching so much and trying to do all the right things to not reoccur. I never get tired of hearing great stories.it's so encouraging. Pls keep coming back and posting. Hugs......

• SharonMH
    SharonMH Member Posts: 46
    edited August 2016

Hi, Just stopping by to say it has been seven years for me. I am still doing well. Life is good. SharonMH

• live_deliciously
    edited August 2016

hooray Sharon. So happy for you. Keep coming back.

• Valstim52
    edited August 2016

Thanks so much for giving us 'newbies' hope.

• Karina
    Karina Member Posts: 76
    edited August 2016

Hey,

Six years for me !!! Still doing well, taking my Femara religiously and praying God to grant me with more life. Can't complaint, life is good !

Congratulations to all ladies passed their 5 years ! Happy to see you all here.

New ladies, keep strong, take care of yourselves and make plans for future. It really keeps you going !

Wish you all well

Karina xxx

• SharonMH
    SharonMH Member Posts: 46
    edited August 2016

Karina, Yeah to 6 years. SharonMH

• Valstim52
    edited August 2016

Yay Karina... Same stage as me. Any TN's stage 3 5 or more years out?