Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage III Cancer Survivors ...Five + Years and Out.

Options

Comments

• Jane2793
    Jane2793 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    Options

Thank you for the encouragement. I have just begun.

• wallan
    wallan Member Posts: 192
    edited September 2013
    Options

Hey ladies;

I am nine years out... still going strong...

Except for the odd scare here and there...

Wendy

• Carolynvj
    Carolynvj Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2013
    Options

I just wanted to say that since recently joining I am so inspired by the number of women posting such positive survivors journeys. I have had a bit of a "poor me" day today & just reading the stories on here has helped me greatly. Thank you to all of you. Carolyn x

• lkc
    lkc Member Posts: 180
    edited September 2013
    Options

Hey Wendy, So good to see you! Congrats on beig " out" nine yearss. Ain't life grand?!

• hopefour
    hopefour Member Posts: 104
    edited September 2013
    Options

Thank you Wendy for stopping by and sharing HOPE with us...so excited for you!!

• maryannecb
    maryannecb Member Posts: 74
    edited September 2013
    Options

Hi Wallan, good to hear from you! Happy 9th. 

• Delvzy
    Delvzy Member Posts: 454
    edited September 2013
    Options

Maryann are you on hormone therapy?

• maryannecb
    edited September 2013
    Options

No...I am ER/PR negative

• Delvzy
    edited September 2013
    Options

Sorry I didn't notice your diag t

are you on a special diet or anything I am always curious why some people get it back with a low grade no lymph involement then others with large more aggressive cancer have Ned

• maryannecb
    edited September 2013
    Options

no special diet...I do get Zometa every 3 months..started as early evidence might help prevent mets and i am osteoportic...now afraid to stop it...maybe it helped???

• Delvzy
    edited September 2013
    Options

Hi Carolyn good to see your post. I firmly believe in encouraging and giving hope to others . When I was diagnosed all I wanted to hear about was people who had my diag or worse were doing really well. You will have your good days and your poor me days I still have plenty just gone 5 years since diag went to the onc and discovered that one of my cancers was ILC not IDC as I thought gave me a shock and then the onc didn't even mention my 5 years. Talk about a blow I went in thinking good thoughts and walked out in shock worrying about statistics of staying on hormone treatment another 5 years (April 2014) swapping treatment and ending up with side effects etc anyone else facing that dilemma ?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2013
    Options

I reached my nine year mark last month.  My  original diagnosis was pretty scary.  I don't dwell on the cancer coming back anymore.  I have moved on with life and make the best of every day I am given. 

• soriya123
    soriya123 Member Posts: 384
    edited September 2013
    Options

congrats Nomore! Seems like so many Her- reached 5 years and more. Any more her+ out there reached 5 yrs n more?

• yatcomw
    yatcomw Member Posts: 57
    edited September 2013
    Options

Wendy.....always good to see your post....we were diagnosed the same time so it feels good that we continue to do well

Jacqueline

• nursecal
    nursecal Member Posts: 34
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hey guys, 10/05/2013 marks NINE years cancer free! Stage IIIB, 14/32 nodes +, HER2-, EST/PRP+, full chemo, 35 rads, now 61 years young. Recent PET -. I am totally blessed with family, 6 grandchildren, 3 children and of course my DH. Please, always know there is always HOPE, especially with a positive attitude. God Bless you all and stay strong!!!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 942
    edited October 2013
    Options

nursecal~~Thank you so much for posting. My dx is so similar to yours. You've made my day!

Congratulations on your 9 years! I pray you have MANY MORE GOOD ONES!!!

Blessings

Paula

• lrsreyes
    lrsreyes Member Posts: 23
    edited October 2013
    Options

I just want to post that I am 5 years out May 2013 . Since I had ILC (slow growing ) I continue to take Femara, exercise a lot ( Zumba , running, strength training etc) take supplements & eat a healthy diet. I also had 5 Zometa IV & get yearly Prolia shots for ostopenia.

At this point I have convinced myself that my cancer is not coming back . I try to stay healthy so my body can handle the prolonged hormonal therapies.

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited October 2013
    Options

thank you for still posting, and well done for getting this far so well

• Delvzy
    edited October 2013
    Options

nursecal congratulations what is your secret?

• Delvzy
    edited October 2013
    Options

nursecal do you still take a hormone treatment I am 5 years since diagnosis and in April 5 years on Tamoxifen I would prefer to just stop Onc wants to put me on Femara but I am very hesitant because of the side effects

• Rachel1
    Rachel1 Member Posts: 80
    edited October 2013
    Options

Nursecal,

We've PM over the years and I just want to say that I needed to hear your story right now. God bless. Rachel

• Butchandbuddy
    Butchandbuddy Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2013
    Options

I was diagnosed in may 2013 with invasive breast cancer . I am stage llla with estragen positive grade 2 with a 11 centimeter tumor yea that is right it was huge ! Any one else that was in this situation would love to know their outcome doctor said he can take care of this cancer but can't guarantee there won't be a reacurance it scares me to know it could come back. These post are very encouraging I hope and pray to god this will be the end of the cancer .

• Butchandbuddy
    Butchandbuddy Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2013
    Options

do any of you survivers have stress in your life or do you try to control it. Just wondering if it could cause reacurance .

• 4sewwhat
    4sewwhat Member Posts: 1,895
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi B&B,

We all live with knowing the other shoe could fall and this can come back. Ther is no rhyme or reason to this damn disease. Take a deep breath! You have come such a long in such a short time. Take comfort in what your doctor said about taking care of this cancer. I don't think there is a doctor out there that would guarantee any of us that it will never come back. You just have to stay positive!

I have not been at this much longer than you and my tumor was smaller, 6 x 6 x 3 cm. but I had 22, yes 22 flipping nodes! I however choose to believe that my surgeon removed it ALL and that those 22 nodes worked their butts off, did their job well and didn't let a thing slip through! It may sound delusional, but that's my story and I am sticking to it!

As for stress, I have 4 kids ages 9-16. so yes, I have plenty of stress! You just have to make sure you laugh a lot and make sure you have the upper hand. Like they say, you have it, it does NOT have you!

Best wishes as you move on in your treatment and recovery :0)

• jenni__ca
    jenni__ca Member Posts: 77
    edited October 2013
    Options

yep i was under massive stress at work when dx'd ... i had to learn to push back on accepting some of the stressors ...

but now retired, having a blast and glad to be more than 9 years out ...

fav quote is Dori from Finding Nemo "keep on swimming, swimming, swimming"

• 4sewwhat
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hey Jenni!!

That's my favorite quote too! My kids get really sick of hearing it!

• KerryMac
    KerryMac Member Posts: 20
    edited October 2013
    Options

I was dx on October 28th, 2008 - 5 years ago today!! So, yay me  :-)

In the devastation of dx I did not think my chances if still being around in 5 years time were very high, but here I am!! 

• weesa
    weesa Member Posts: 78
    edited October 2013
    Options

Kerry, I remember so well when you were a newbie here. Your children were so young. I don't think you had started running yet. You have just flourished! So wonderful to see.

• 4sewwhat
    edited October 2013
    Options

Awesome for both of you!!! Happy Anniversary!

• Delvzy
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi Kerry congratulations on 5 years we were diagnosed about the same time. I too thought I wouldn't be here very happy to be alive and well judy x