Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

STFU (Shut the F*** UP)

Options

Comments

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited December 2013
    Options

Sorry,in plain English, those stats are bullshit...........just go on the other threads that deal with the drugs that are suppose to be saving our lives, and see what they are saying........

This is crap, and the Dr's know it, and so does big Pharma.......again trust me on this one......it is so easy to make figures, survey's percentages and numbers look good on paper........

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,897
    edited December 2013
    Options

Yes, when I was in college they used "How to Lie with Statistics" as the course book.

• wren44
    edited December 2013
    Options

We have a bookcase with nothing but cookbooks. Nothing really old, however. I do have a ton of the recipes from companies wanting you to try their product. I think they're from the 20's and 30's. DH used to subscribe to Gourmet. Then he had bypass surgery (5) and could eliminate every recipe in the first 3 ingredients. I'm not the cook, but I like to read recipes.

Gma, we all wish you less pain. Don't worry about complaining to us--who else gets it? You have the loveliest views!

• juliaanna
    juliaanna Member Posts: 575
    edited December 2013
    Options

Too late to make my grandmother's rum balls. They have to sit for at least a couple of weeks. She sent a 5 pound coffee can full with me to college after Christmas break. I didn't share those with anyone!

I love the old cookbooks with "10 cents of hamburger" or "5 cent Hershey bar"...

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    edited December 2013
    Options

I love cookbooks, too - but when we moved from our last house (much more space), I got rid of about 1/2 of them. My favorite currently is my Bon Appetit Cookbook. I do get into a rut, though, and start cooking things I know hubby will like. One of my plans now that I'm retired is to spend more time cooking. My MIL bought me the Julia Child's cookbooks for my BD last year. The only thing I've made yet from them are scalloped potatoes - which are to die for... and in fact are what I plan to make for dinner tonight... :)

I wish I had some old cookbooks, but neither my mother or grandmother ever used cookbooks - so I had nothing old to go on. I started cooking when a teen using the Betty Crocker cookbook - at that point I realized how diverse food could be, and never looked back. I really enjoy getting cookbooks from places I visit - I have one that I picked up in Jamaica that I just love.

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited December 2013
    Options

Another cookbook nut here, have some old colonial ones which are fun. Also when I was teaching we would do Elizabethan Dinners great fun to research the recipes and cook them - have some wonderful ones.

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited December 2013
    Options

Just been sent this and like it.

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited December 2013
    Options

Good one Alyson.

I know my sister kept some and I do remember Carmilita Pope's cook book and she has that one.

Ducky I was't serious about that percentage, I just meant they give u a percent and of what--how many people, how and where they live? It certainly isn't the amount of people cuz there are so mny people that they don't have a clue about and have u noticed some Se's the Drs. just kind of shake their shoulders like Hmmm because no one in the 100 people ever said it. I remember when I was getting chemo and told the Dr. something that was happening and she looked it up right in front of me and admitted she never saw that and it was less than 1% and she was studying my body like mad, and I said 1% of what and she laughed and she said I know what u mean. 1% of 10 50   200 people--doesn't make any sense. I pay no attention to stats, ever cuz they are not accurately portrayed for as many people as is having that drug or chemo or whatever. My new Dr. on one of my treks said something about I shouldn't have that SE and she took tests and said Oh u do and it's bad. Well, who knew that I broke a rule.OK I'll STFU now I'm ranting.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 35,650
    edited December 2013
    Options

I think I likely have most of you beat on the cookbooks......I had over 4000 and was just about to rent a library.  Instead.....when I decided ( because I had enough stuff ) to take a lot of the things I had and didn't use to a local auction house I took the majority of cook books too.  They actually weren't really happy about it.......but I had enough other things that it was ok.  I did make about $2,500.00 from the auction......and people who really enjoy cookbooks got to add some to their bookshelves.  I was just sort of addicted......and would go on e-bay at their auctions.  They build up while your not watching and before I knew it.....I had them stashed in all the closets, under the beds, on several bookshelves, in a couple of free drawers.............ah, fun while it lasted but highly impractical. 

Lilli

• duckyb1
    edited December 2013
    Options

Cam.....like I said...I worked in Big Pharma....I know how they work the numbers....I knew the drug before it left the pipeline, and they were trying to name it......then once it reached the hands of the Dr's, Nurses, Pharmacists, and finally the patient, my job of "evaluation of the drug" began.......companies are interested in the bottom line.....if it doesn't look good, make it look good......doesn't take much......shave here....add there..

It is all about....."how good do we look"' and "how fast can we beat the competitor to market" with winning numbers.....

Also, how many SE's do we get on this website alone that...#1..they don't believe we have....# 2..the Dr's never bother to report it to the drug companies.......# 3.they never looked at the package insert to see WTH SE's the drug has......

The best judge of what a friggin drug does to you, is you...... It's the whole BC community like this one who discuss, and share WTH is happening to our bodies, and our QOL........not the few in the f/n trial, when 1/2 get placebo which...".cuts down in the trial number of patient's to 1/2" who actually get the real deal......do the placebo patient's get SE's.......how the hell could they...their takingba sugar pill.........it's all bullshit....and we are the human guinea pigs...........us right here.......

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited December 2013
    Options

My Allergist thought it would help me to be in this "trial".... I had to quit all my Asthma medicine for two weeks!

After one week, I got so sick, I had to give it up. My Asthma was "controlled" but whatever the pills were, that I was getting, just really did a number on me! Probably the sugar pills! Took me 2 more weeks and a lot of medication to get over that Asthma attack

So I won't try anymore of those "trials" again.... I guess they can be helpful.... I mean I know they have come a long way in the past 10 years.... Especially for cancer treatments.... and radiation.... I just hope a lot of women will benefit from these....

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    edited December 2013
    Options

One of the reasons I sincerely dislike my onc's PA is that no matter what I say I'm experiencing her automatic comment is "that is not a recorded se of letrozole".  When she said (in response to my statement that I am much more tired since beginning the drug) was "fatigue is not a side effect".  Since I didn't want to get into a fight with her AGAIN, I just ignored her, but Really! !!  Fatigue is one of the most common side effects.  I feel like she just wants to make the people who have se's feel crazy.  Truly,  truly dislike the woman!

• duckyb1
    edited December 2013
    Options

Never back down when you know your right..........fatigue is a SE....she is an asshole and did not read the insert........bring it up online....print it.....shove it in her face.....if no appt sent it to the idiot certified mail....it would be worth the cost.......

• wren44
    edited December 2013
    Options

GG, What Ducky said. I was going to suggest the same thing.

Cami, I've been in the 1-2% so often that I always read that part of the insert.

I just got axed from a pneumonia vaccine study that would have paid $250.00. I'm really bummed. They wanted to use both arms for shots and won't because of my sentinal node removal. I don't want LE, but that $250 could have gone a long way.

• duckyb1
    edited December 2013
    Options

wren....play it safe...if you get LE, and need a therapist it will cost a lot more then $250.00 for treatments if you have co-pays plus garments.......

• camillegal
    edited December 2013
    Options

Teka u'r crackin me up here. hahahaha

GG I can't stand when a Dr. looks t u like I don't think so. well I think so so that's all that matters- Remember not to long ago (well I have to give the Dr. some credit cus she listend) but I was telling her my side was getting worse and she did take scans and found the problem, well it's a not known SE but it happened even if I was the only one it happened. So in my head they can not discount anything cuz we know our bodies and we know when it's not just our regular stuff. And Ducky u said it better but that was my whole point about studies. The best SE I had was 2x all of my skin peeled including the bottom of my feet, I really had baby skin--I was happy about that but it was like a snake, shedding hahaha face everything. Damn that's one I could take now for sure.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited December 2013
    Options

Yeah, I peeled from the top of my bald head to the bottom of my feet. Including places the sun doesn't shine. Thanks Taxotere.

• camillegal
    edited December 2013
    Options

Spookie wasn't that great and it didn't hurt it just gave of baby skin--Oh the best. LOL

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited December 2013
    Options

ThumbsUp

• 4sewwhat
    4sewwhat Member Posts: 1,895
    edited December 2013
    Options

me, I complained about the quality of the complimentary Brazilian that came with chemo. To my male onc. Then he turned bright red and apologized it wasnt more thorough! Why couldn't that be a permanent SE instead if some of the other crap!!!

I take lists, studies and questions with me to appointments. Two or more copies and I write down the answers as they say what they say. Then a copy goes in my file! Yup. First name PITA!! They love to see me coming! Don't get the BS run around anymore though!

• 4sewwhat
    4sewwhat Member Posts: 1,895
    edited December 2013
    Options

Wren, why couldn't they use a leg or two?

• duckyb1
    edited December 2013
    Options

you have to be your own advocate........my husband use to say this to me.."DUCK EVERY MORNING WHEN YOU GET OUT OF BED AND PUT YOUR FEET ON THE FLOOR SATAAN SHUDDER'S AND SAYS" "OH BOY SHE'S AWAKE AGAIN"

• camillegal
    edited December 2013
    Options

Ducky hahaha he knew u best. LOL

• duckyb1
    edited December 2013
    Options

he had a sense of humor.......

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    edited December 2013
    Options

I had a dream about veggy last nite

She asked me to go to the party on the STFU thread

And

To please bring the stuffed Peppers I used to make for her

Soo it looks like I have to follow her orders.

I'll be there.

Firekracker

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    edited December 2013
    Options

AHHhhhhhhhh a glass of cream sherry. Di and I worked for seven hours cleaning and decorating. Keep saying I'm not gonna work as hard, but can't help myself. The last 45 minutes was putting the boxes away and cleaning up from decorating. It all looks so nice.

Late on getting the jezebel ready. So in the morning. If I can walk LOL

Jackie 4000 CB's, yes, addiction is in there somewhere LOL. Remarkable and fun , fun, fun that you got 2500$'s. Food IS so creative. Delightful to share at a beautifully set table with the lighting perfect. T-day there were more pics taken of the table than all of us. I was tickled that the first one taking a pic was my cousins young man from France. Used the Studio Nova--Mikasa --Orchad Jewels it has cobalt, green, red, yellow. Used cobalt glasses and all cobalt accessory glass. Several Blenko pieces. Almost everything on the table had been thrifted. Put together the reading about recipes, the preparation of everything, the gathering makes the heart so happy.

I'm a bit of the way about my collectibles. But just decluttered. The best part is it will be so much fun thrifting again. Di used allot of the stuff for T-day that I'd given her. Her Mom said "Where did you get all this stuff". LOL. Wasn't junk, it was Le Junque . Her Dh was thrilled with the "Stow Vermont" cutting board. It oiled up beautiful. Used to carve three turkeys. They will be able to pass it down. It's the one I thrifted for $1.00. Dear cousin that just bought a condo 1/2 hour away was thrilled with her two loads of items. BUT her DH was annoyed. He went down a few notches for me. She got many crystal items, practical Florida items, and family collectibles that DS has no interest in.

Back to CB's apparently allot here have a true love of the art and creativity of cooking. Only makes sense they we love to read about it. I haven't near the collection of many , but can so appreciate your love. One of my favorite books is " Classic Home Desserts" by Richard Sax. Each page has a side bar of old recipes and explanations of things about the life and times long ago.

Please, each of you share your favorite books name :)

I do know one of us that would dearly love to get any cookbooks that may need a new home :) Shall she step forward and tell us?

• duckyb1
    edited December 2013
    Options

yea..........patii.....pati........Firecracker is coming to the pati............ok, now I have to bring my Vodka and my RED SOLO CUPS............chips anyone bringing chips.......oh yea, and the onion dip...I'll bring that too.........my Pilot wants to know if He's invited.........

Veggy loved my Vodka and my RED SOLO CUPS.............happy, happy, happy.........Veggy will be there in spirit.........

• juliaanna
    juliaanna Member Posts: 575
    edited December 2013
    Options

firekracker, I'm so glad you are coming to the party.

I'd like to propose the first toast-to Red and Veggy-always alive in our hearts...

• JAN69
    JAN69 Member Posts: 731
    edited December 2013
    Options

Can I come if I bring my cleaning lady to clean up afterwards? Sounds like the party will be a bit wild.

• Holeinone
    Holeinone Member Posts: 1,418
    edited December 2013
    Options

Sas, my favorite, most used book is, Bound To Please...it is a Junior League Collection. Great potato recipes. Also has recipes from excellent restaurants in Sun Valley & Boise, Idaho..

I did not get to know Veggy, but I wished I had. It is wonderful that you all honor her memory, and will bring her to the celebration.

Ducky, you found my weak spot, chips & onion dip....

Golf girl