Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

STFU (Shut the F*** UP)

Options

Comments

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    edited December 2013
    Options

One more and I will stop. The assumption on these old recipes is that you KNOW what to do with the ingredients.

"Carolina Housewife" Wedding cake of 1850

20 pounds of butter                             20 nutmegs

20 pounds of sugar                                1 ounce mace

20 pounds of flour                                  4 ounses cinnamon

20 ponds of raisins                               20 glasses of wine

40 pounds of currants                          20 glasses of brandy

12 pounds of citron                               10 eggs to the poond

Add clove to your taste. If you wish it richer, add 2 pounds of currants, and 1 pound of raisins to each pound flour                ------------------------------------ Miss Mary Deas Ravenal

• sas-schatzi
    edited December 2013
    Options

I suppose ---One more thing , they were cooking in ovens that had no temperature control. To determine heat setting you stuck your hand in the oven. A slow oven was 45-60 seconds, moderate was from  35-45 seconds, a quick oven was 20-35 seconds.

"All systematic housekeepers will hail the day when some enterprising Yankee or Buckeye girl shall invent a stove or range with a thermometer attached to the oven, so that the heat may be regulated accurately...." The Women of First Congregational Church Marysville, Ohio  from "The Centennial Buckeye Cook Book", Minneapolis, 1876

To any that have old cookbooks they can be quite valuable. I got interested years ago because they were just fun reading. But one was sold for 50,000$ as reported in the Wall Street Journal a dozen or so years ago. The reason they are valuable is they talked of every day life. Some historians realized to late that history books told of too much related to politics, battles, and frankly lots of men stuff. Little was documented about home life except through letters.

• sas-schatzi
    edited December 2013
    Options

Teka, funny, remember the phrase---------they were teaching their children how to drink. Lordy, can you imagine today. Department of Childrens and family service plus police,  would be knocking at the door .

• phgraham
    phgraham Member Posts: 909
    edited December 2013
    Options

Good heavens! Who is cooking up those recipes? What do you mix that cake in? A washtub? I'm definitely making the champagne punch! That should last me a day or two.....maybe a week if I'm stingy.

Hi everyone. I'm back home finally. It was 53 degrees when I left Houston and 6 degrees when I landed in Denver. It started snowing Saturday evening and kept it up until Sunday evening. I had to shovel snow and it's not even Christmas yet. (whining)

I had a great trip and my friend Sandi took really good care of me. We had a good time in Galveston also, in a beachfront condo for a week. I was also happy to see my kiddo a lot.

I'm happy to be home again! (even though I noticed the housekeeping fairies did NOT come to my house while I was gone.)

Phyllo

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited December 2013
    Options

Phyllo....they were at my house.......

• Holeinone
    Holeinone Member Posts: 1,418
    edited December 2013
    Options

Phyllo, it must of been heavenly to be on the water, the sunsets, smells...my favorite place to be..

• crog234
    crog234 Member Posts: 324
    edited December 2013
    Options

thanks SAS. Yup the last three years were the pits... Here's hoping to a better New Year for all of us!!!!

Cindy AKA Squishy

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484
    edited December 2013
    Options

Sassy - Are we sisters separated at birth? I love cookbooks and must restrain myself from buying more. My DM was an antiques dealer so I do have quite a few old ones and a few of the home health types. I attend irregularly the local book and paper show - irregular in that I can't afford them and really don't need them. Will try after Christmas boxes out of the way to get a pic of my bookshelves. Runs the length of what was a 2 car garage b4 we converted it. Overflowing.

Phyllisinthesnow - Glad you are back posting regularly. You crack me up. Know you miss your friend. Kiddo?? The dustbunny fairy has been here but she did not clean up after herself.

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited December 2013
    Options

SAS - My Miss  Leslie's if from the 1840's.  Also have a 1860's vintage Fannie Farmer.  One of my favorites is an early 1900's British volume called Inquire Within About Anything.    About half is recipe book and the rest is a forerunner of Ask Heloise.  I forget now which book I found Inquire quoted but it was well enough knowen that Agatha Christie referred to it a couple of times.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited December 2013
    Options

Cami, I meant chocolate chips.

lol goats, yes there is a chart on the can for how much to use, with water. The stuff is Expensive, IF you can find it. Publix doesn't have it, so must go to health food store and spend $20 on a can. But it keeps well in the freezer, lasts forever.

Sas. I speak Southernese. Cooter is a turtle.

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited December 2013
    Options

Phlylobackonu'ranklebracelet---I knew u'd get caught sooner or later, we really know u were on the lam. But it sounds like lamming it up had some fun in it. so Champagne all around--remember the cocktail a sugar cube in the champagne, sounded so feminine to say that. Depending who the buyer was I'd order the champagne cocktail (sp) just doesn't look right. LOL

OH OH it's colder than a witches nose, yes I said nose, tonite and my GS has a fever so he's warm anyway. Well he'll be home tomorrow, but he likes to stay away from me when he's sick--

• sas-schatzi
    edited December 2013
    Options

Spookie, LOL, I finally found it, but it wasn't easy at the time.

Chabba, goodness be careful with those, wouldn't it be fun if when you did decide to part with them they were worth lots$$'s. Hope so! Where did you find such early copies?

• juliaanna
    juliaanna Member Posts: 575
    edited December 2013
    Options

Seems a number of us were separated at birth. My cookbook collection exceeds 250 volumes. I have a Charleston Receipts given to me by my MIL-she's from Cross, SC. Still love The Settlement Cookbook - subtitled "the way to a man's heart". Yes, I mentioned libations. With this cold weather Tom and Jerrys might be more appropriate than egg nog. My grandfather was in charge of making it every Christmas. We always had to purchase a new bottle of Rum for the season.

I take it this party is going to last all day and half the night, right?

Take care everyone.

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited December 2013
    Options

My DH and I had an out of print Aviation book and magazine business for 30 years back in the 70's and 8o's. We subscribed to a listing service for booksellers where dealers could list items for sale to other dealers at wholesale.  I also worked part time for a couple of years.  Between the two I picked up some really special items.  One of my treasures though was a gift from a friend and mentor in the business, especially since he had both a daughter and dil who wanted it. It is a 1911 "Mrs Wilson" Whitehouse Cookbook.  They used to do a new one with every change in the Presidency. Another favorite type is the church cookbook, especially those pre 1950.

By the way I have upwards of 600 cookbooks.

• mostlymom
    mostlymom Member Posts: 378
    edited December 2013
    Options

i'm in for Hershey Pie - i only make it at Christmas.... i don't dare make it more often - it's deadly SillyHeart

• camillegal
    edited December 2013
    Options

Chabba for sure this will last all day and night. After all we are party animals now.

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    edited December 2013
    Options

Ok I guess the party is going to be a my house?? You all can come up and watch the sunset.

• camillegal
    edited December 2013
    Options

Good Morning--Again what a view, beautiful, I hope u' doing OK today GMA- what I mean is a little better.

I thought I was going to drink this weekend--my Beer-rita but I didn't so I started my aunti-B's yesterday, so we'll se if some pain goes away in my colon. So all I'll have is my back and side to deal with. Oh and shoulder and oh never mind it's a  crazy list.-Well I don't get many headaches so that's a good thing.

• sas-schatzi
    edited December 2013
    Options

Cami with you babe, you know I believe in the use of the pain scale, but I modified it a bit from the guidelines to say "which body part. Ewhhhhhhhhh.

MostlyMom sounds divine--Hershey's chocolate pie. Hmmmmm. Only got to Hershey Penn. once. The town smelled like chocolate. I suppose the people living there get used to it, but it was soooooooo nice. There was a very sweet story about the Hershey family of recent years. They sold there interest in the company, and the new board tried to renig on the Hershey family commitment to the hospital and the care provided to the town folk. Does anyone know what happened to that?

Cookbook lovers LMG, Chabba, Me, Flowers, Chevy, Julia   Who'd I miss. Our collections are a treasure for sure. Just reading the ingredients of something. We visualize it, we taste them, we smell them- all with just the reading. Then creating them can be so relaxing and fun. My exception to that is a BON APPETIT' recipes. The outcome is always stupendous , but the getting there is soooo much work.

DH and I would have so much fun doing a dinner party using never before tried recipes. Only once did something turned out to be awful. We did it right ,.but the recipe was just awful. One of those , that we said--what were they thinking. It was from Florida best recipes CB. A signature dish from a famous restaurant. 

The worst booboo one time, I created a vegetarian lasagna for a friend that had just gone vegetarian. We all agreed it was the best we'd ever eaten. Used elements from three recipes. So, good, I figured I'd never forget what I had done. Mistake. I didn't write it down. Never have been able to duplicate it.

• sas-schatzi
    edited December 2013
    Options

Teka , Thank you for keeping the menu. Salivating with each reading OH so goodddd!

• sas-schatzi
    edited December 2013
    Options

LMG, A verititable library. An original Miss Leslie. Not that you would sell it, but it would be fun to know it's value. I have a dear friend that collected teaching and childrens schoolbooks. She's a nationally recognized writer and speaker on the history of these. The university that she is donating them too after she passes-years and years from now, has created a section in the library that will be named after her. They've already had the celebratory charity function with all the fanfare. Wouldn't that be fun for you and Chabba, to know that your treasured books were kept for the ages. Regretfully, the internet will make collections like yours fewer. The young ones will never know what curling up with a CB will be like, or at least not as we know it.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited December 2013
    Options

Ahhh Sas, you are soooo right. Everyone gets their recipes from the net these days. I love my cookbooks. I love the "joy of cooking" and  "home and garden" and all of my lovely cookbooks. They may have a few stains on them from the olive oil or the butter, but they are well loved. Happy

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484
    edited December 2013
    Options

What IS that glowing golden red thing in the eastern sky? By golly it really is the sun after almost a week.

One of the biggest used book stores is Powells in Portland OR and other locations. 5400 used CBs at present on line. Oh my! Doesn't seem to sort by price - I thought that might get me the really old ones first. And you can narrow by field. 182 in Vintage.

I have a large collection of childrens' CBs too. Started with a freebie milk co. one that DB and I got as children about 1959. Expanded when I had a daughter who thinks she's cooking if she makes a brownie from mix. I used to make French toast from this CB thinking it was a unique recipe; that was not something my DM made. I have my great-grandmothers CB from a utility co, I think. I know it when I pick it up but the spine is plain white so hard to pick out on bookshelf. Also have though not really so old my mom's BH&G. My grandmother was an OK cook but not stupendous. My DM was adventurous but living in Hawaii added to that plus she married/moved away from area. I have a manilla envelope of GM's but I think it is mostly magazine/newspaper cutouts.

Sassy - DH would like me to get rid of most of them. We talk of moving and he says they must mostly go if we do. I counter with if I get rid of them and the move doesn't happen do you want to deal with that angry woman? But in fairness they were collected pre internet.

I finally broke down yest. and read the newpaper online. At least the headlines (what there was besides ice storm), local and comics. Today we got redelivery of Fri, Sat, Sunday. I think may distributor did those and later may get Mon and today. I bet there are some mad advertisers with all the Christmas ads gone to naught.

• Holeinone
    edited December 2013
    Options

GmaFoley, I would love to party at your house, your photos are amazing, and I live in Idaho so not too far..I hope you are continuing to feel a little more comfortable every day

Juliaana & Chabba, how do you store that many books?, a big book case huh! Seems like are houses get smaller as we age, cause we have so much stuff..I got hooked on eBay a few winters back, buying Irish Belleek. Where to put it all?

Keep warm....golfgirl

• 4sewwhat
    4sewwhat Member Posts: 1,895
    edited December 2013
    Options

Mornin' Hoolies!

Add me to the cookbook list! Hundreds of them, some old too from when my grandma passed. Lots of old handwritten recipes with no measurements or when a cup meant the favorite coffee cup! You were in big trouble if that got broken!

Trying to get cleaned up and decorated today. That creepy elf keeps staring at me though! My kids freak if it doesn't move overnight too.

Disclaimer!! not my toilet!! I may have to do something like that though and see what the kids do!!

• camillegal
    edited December 2013
    Options

44444I like tht toilet, u'rs or not--clever.

All the cookbook u gals cn start a library--My dd2 hs most of my mom's CB, well u know she wouldn't give any to me nd my sister has all the older ones and handwritten recipes, but my Sis has loads of books too, a lot of them re now behind her couch, she also ran out of room--she doesn't even cook anymore and keeps on collecting them anyway. So there must be something about CB's that are fascinating.

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    edited December 2013
    Options

Holeinone, wish I could say I'm feeling better. I guess I will have to trade one SE for another. Dizzy is better, but now I'm going braless because the nerve pain is back where the bras hit. This weather isn't helping the mood either. I will try not to complain anymore - it is a moment of "no encouragement left in me." Why should I even try to sort this out anymore. I have no emotional fortitude left.

Maybe this old photo will help boost mine and others spirits..

• Holeinone
    edited December 2013
    Options

GmaFoley, ahh, it feels like it will never end. My DH is waiting for me to pop out of the recliner & declare, "I'm healed"...I really think unless you are living it, very difficult to understand. I only had a few days of dizzy spells, did not handle that SE well. You know this is the place to tell it like it is...that's why we all find solace in STFU...

• camillegal
    edited December 2013
    Options

Teka I remember that and used to think he has to make double cuz he no doubt eats most of them like I would.

GMA I'm sorry this has become what it is--it is amzing to me how some people go thru it very well nd I'm very happy for them and yet the same stuff and meds and holy Cannoli it's 2 totally different scenarios and it's scary I usually get the Oh about 1% get this or 2% get this well Thank God one or 2 PEOPLE got this or I'd be a freak for sure. It is a hard struggle to stay out of the way of pains path and some do and then there's the 1% who get every effin thing to add to the misery. And complain all u want that's exactly why we're here so say what ever u want.

• flat13good
    flat13good Member Posts: 74
    edited December 2013
    Options

Yes I love the photo wish I was there it is cold here.  Party Party Party that is my daughters saying.....................  I'm not a cook but when I was visiting my dad I resuced my Mom's books and hand written cards so they don't get lost if and when it is his time or he moves. He is 87 and doing OK.  I will share them with the other cooks in the family. My Mom was a good cook she just did not make a lot of different things because of my Dad.  Meat veggies and potatoes at 5:30 everyday  We never had Mexican or Fried foods.  Very boring and it is probably why I was never much interested in food  except dark chocolate  everyday just a little makes me a happy girl.  At Christmas I make Truffles and take them with me when I visit.  I have to keep track of the ones with the booze in them because of the kids. Don't need any crazy kids running around even though there is not enough booze to get any of them silly. But we don't need them waisting them because they don't like the taste.  Party on ladies...................Flatsy