Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

STFU (Shut the F*** UP)

Comments

• Charles_Pelkey
    Charles_Pelkey Member Posts: 99
    edited January 2015

Good day, ladies.

I just realized that it's been some time since I last checked in. As one of the few (the only?) male participants in the group, I thought I should at least say hello now and then.

I am still kickin' and just passed the three-year mark since I finished chemo.

I am working like crazy as an attorney and was just elected to the Wyoming House of Representatives, where I am one of nine Democrats in that 60-member House. (I'm sure I will wield unparalleled political power, eh?)

Anyway, just saying hello and wishing all of you a great year to come.

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited January 2015

Hi Charles......good to hear from you......us hens are till cackling, and hanging in there.......congrats on your new found position.........

Glad your doing well..............don't be a stranger........stay warm and healthy ....hugs....

• Charles_Pelkey
    edited January 2015

We had "Rookie Camp" for new Legislators last month. I brought my darling daughter, Annika, with me for the final day.
    The Session starts on Tuesday. It should be interesting.

• Lucy55
    Lucy55 Member Posts: 2,703
    edited January 2015

Hi Charles.. Pleased to meet you ! Great to hear your work and life is going so well..and thanks for sharing the photo of Annika.. She is beautiful.!

• duckyb1
    edited January 2015

Charles.........adorable, and I love the name........but when you named your last child Nicasia its a fact you like unusual names..........I will have to remember that one for my grandaughters, who one day will be expecti'ng.......they are at that age now.....one getting married in 2015..........

I am expecting my 5th G. grandchild in March..........I have an Isabell, Grayson (twins), a Shea-Lyn, a Mila, and the new baby will be either Genevieve after the other Genevieve's, and Robert after the father if its a boy........they don't want to know......

Genevieve is a family name.....my Grandmother, my Mother, Me, my Daughter, my Grandaughter, and now her daughter should it be a girl.......old classic name..............

But I do like your daughters' name.........

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    edited January 2015

welcome back Charles

Nice to hear all the good things that came UR way

UR DDs is beautiful

Don't be a stranger

Please keep us posted on this new position

As U can see we have some new ladies and a few of us R still here

Xoxo fireKracker

• Charles_Pelkey
    edited January 2015

Ducky,I'm not to sure what you mean by "but when you named your last child Nicasia its a fact you like unusual names," since I have but two children: the aforementioned Annika and her brother, Philip.

For the back-story, Annika was born 5-and-a-half years after Philip. When he found out he was going to be the big brother to a little girl, we offered him naming rights (as long as we had veto power). After a couple of rejected Star Wars characters' names, he ran up to Diana and me and said "how about Annika?" We loved it right away, but I wondered how a little guy might have come up with it. Turns out, he was watching "Pippi Longstocking" and the kids next door were "Tommy" and "Annika."

From that point forward, he would lay his head on my wife's belly, call her by name and talk to her. On the day she was born, Annika came out screaming like an banshee. They gave her to Diana, who tried to nurse her to no avail. The Doc then gave her to me to hold her and she still screamed. We wrapped her swaddling and she still screamed.

Then, we brought Philip into the room. He took her, leaned over and said "Hi Annika," and she immediately stopped crying and settled down to hang out with her brother.

He's now 20 and Annika turns 15 on Wednesday. They get along beautifully.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited January 2015

Charles, what a great story!  and the photo shows how close they were from the start

• PoppyK
    PoppyK Member Posts: 1,275
    edited January 2015

Hi Charles, Nice to meet you and your children. I just finished a trip through chemoland and am a few weeks into radiation treatment. It's reassuring to hear from you as I fight this disease. I didn't even know you could be a Democrat in Wyoming! ;-)

• duckyb1
    edited January 2015

Charles.........beautiful picture...........and a beautiful story....so wonderful they still "Love" each other.....LOL

I have 6 children.........my youngest who is now 45 is named Nicasia.........when I decided on that name many peope back in the 60;s thought I was crazy.........oddly today when people hear her name they say 'what a beautiful name......is it a family name"...........so I guess it depends on the person...........but you won't find it in a "name book"...........it originated in a small town in Italy.........my Sister-in-law's grandmother had the name, and her sister was named after the grandmother...........the first time I heard the name I fell in love with it, and had no intentions of having anymore children.......well I got that wrong too.......findidng out #6 was coming I said "if its a girl I am naming her Nicasia........and so the story goes.........actually when she had her daughter I was disappointed she did not name her Nicasia....she told me too many people in school mispronounced it, and that was her reason.......She named her daughter Makayla........

I have a grandson named Phiip.........

• Charles_Pelkey
    edited January 2015

Poppy wrote: " I didn't even know you could be a Democrat in Wyoming! ;-)"

Well, there are only nine of us in the 60-member House and four in the 30-member Senate.
    Years ago, when I took a job in Washington, D.C. we used to joke that when my wife, Diana, and I left Wyoming, the Wyoming Democrat became eligible for protection under the Endangered Species Act. We were gone for a long time, but we finally returned ... and came back as a breeding pair. Philip and Annika are both active in politics and very involved in things on the liberal side of the spectrum. They helped my campaign immensely. They will, of course, be there on Tuesday when I swear in as a member of the House.

I could NOT be prouder of these two:

Poppy,
    Here's a quick quote from my oncologist, with whom I met just this past week:
    "My practice is now about 80 percent breast cancer patients," she said. "I love that, because you guys do so well. We have treatments figured out and that means we're really successful and our percentages are amazing."

Poppy, this is a tough time. Chemo sucks, the future looks frightening at times, but you can get through this. In my case, it was a few surgeries, five months' worth of chemo and a deeper appreciation of what's important in life. Aside from the discomfort and inconvenience, it was totally doable... and besides, I found out that I look really cool bald.

• proudtospin
    edited January 2015

as a democratic liberal myself it is great to see your breeding has been so successful!  will think of you on Tuesday and wish you the best

• PoppyK
    edited January 2015

Charles, Thank you, you are so kind. I don't look good bald, but I rock scarves. I have 3 boys at home, so I am doing everything I can to be around for a long time. Breeding pairs are also protected by the Endangered Species Act... even in Wyoming! Wishing you the best!

• proudtospin
    edited January 2015

ok, so I am laughing at the breeding pairs comment~

good one

• Lucy55
    edited January 2015

Charles.. I love the "before and now " photos of Philip and Annika. You have every reason to feel so proud of them.!! HaHa.. I used to love watching Pipi Longstocking with my kids when they were little..So.I just love your story of how the name Annika came to be.. 😃

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    edited January 2015

Nice to hear from you Charles. You are so blessed with a beautiful family. Good luck on your new adventures.

• duckyb1
    edited January 2015

For anyone who doesn't go on the Goddesses thread...........wanted to let you ladies know......Blondie fell down the steps and broke her ankle in 3 places.......also dislocated it.........can't believe this shit......she i in th hospital and will have sugery tomorrow...........trying to find out which hospital........

• FireKracker
    edited January 2015

oh Ducky

I saw it on FB.

This makes me speachless

Please everyone on both threads we need a big group huggggg

I betta call Joan

• Lucy55
    edited January 2015

Ducky.. Thanks for letting us know about Blondie.. My gosh , 3 breaks and a dislocation is horrible.. Sending love to her.. Wish there was something I could do.to help

• FireKracker
    edited January 2015

I left a message for Joan

IM IN FOR THE GROUP HUGGGGGGGG

AND U

• PoppyK
    edited January 2015

Poor Blondie! Her injury sounds awful.

I'm in on the group hug!

• Lucy55
    edited January 2015

• crog234
    crog234 Member Posts: 324
    edited January 2015

I am in for the group hug!!!!

• SlowDeepBreaths
    SlowDeepBreaths Member Posts: 6,702
    edited January 2015

Count me in for the group hug. Sending love and healing to Blondie. Unbelievable.

• duckyb1
    edited January 2015

Trying to find out what hospital she is in........

• duckyb1
    edited January 2015

Got her son George on the phone....told me the hospital......called got her phne number and room number....she was busy doing business, so said I would call her back later........she did sond very tired.....I' sure they have her drugged for the pain........will keep you in the loop..........

• SlowDeepBreaths
    SlowDeepBreaths Member Posts: 6,702
    edited January 2015

Thanks Ducky!

• FireKracker
    edited January 2015

tx Ducky

U betta not even think of goin to visit her

If u can get the address we can send hr a card

Of course it's gotta be in pm

I'm goinna put her on all the prayer lists im on

Poor Blondie,can't catch a break

Bbl

• Lucy55
    edited January 2015

THanks FK and Ducky for letting us know Blondie is going.. It's awful for her :-(

FK... . Praying for Brian too..

Gma.. Hope you are healing well..

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    edited January 2015

Hope everyone heals well and soon.