Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ladies in their 30s?

Options

Comments

• Allyme
    Allyme Member Posts: 117
    edited March 2015
    Options

JFL,

So happy to hear that you both are doing well! I am still so interested in having another, as my daughter keeps complaining and being sad about being alone. I had planned on having another one sooner, but life got in the way. :) I think I should have much more time now. Of course, I also have to ask about the risk. My last chemo is next month, so maybe I'll ask then. But at least I know it's possible, and that is awesome. :) Best wishes and good luck to you all! :)

• cjanet
    cjanet Member Posts: 288
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi ladies,

I'm here now. It looks like mets to my spine but I'm feeling twinges elsewhere so kinda think there are more mets. I was just told tonight and meet w a neurosurgeon and likely radiation oncologist tomorrow. If I can get this pain under control, I think I might feel more positive about things or at least more energetic in fighting this. I have 2 young children, ages 3 and almost 7. I will likely be coming on here a lot esp once I know the treatment plan.

• JFL
    JFL Member Posts: 1,373
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi Cjanet. I am sorry you have to join us. Treatment (of any kind) can start to improve your bone mets pain right away. I have extensive bone mets and had a lot of pain upon dx, which started to decrease once I started chemo and hormone therapy. After a few months, I felt much better and feel almost "normal" now after 4 months. It is so hard to face this dx with young children. It is not fair. We are here for you!

• mygodisavow
    mygodisavow Member Posts: 12
    edited April 2015
    Options

hi all,

I'm wondering what your experiences were with hair loss due to gamma knife (stereotactic radio surgery) if you had any?

My tumors were near the skull so I was prepared for patchy hair loss but it's been three months and it's still falling out. I know that hair is not the main thing I should be worried about and I thank God everyday that everything is stable..but am wondering what other people's experiences were and when I can expect the hair to stop falling out and some growth to appear.

thanks a bunch

• KMarie123
    KMarie123 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi all,

I am new here, 30 year old from Seattle diagnosed with Stage 4 in Jan 2015. I have my 5th round of Chemo Monday, then one more before surgery and/or radiation, followed by more Herceptin and Perjeta. Looking to meet others close to my age, or that were my age when diagnosed and are NED?

My bone mets is now NED, so is lymph mets after 4 rounds of Chemo. Tumor is shrinking significantly, but won't know if I need surgery until after my last Chemo and additional tests.

I have found inspirational posts in here, so thank you all for sharing! : )

Thanks!

Kristi

• cjanet
    edited April 2015
    Options

well I do have to admit after only 2 sessions of rads, my neck pain is a little less. But it could be also they made me wear a neck brace 24-7. So pain is subsiding but fear is increasing...PET scan results Monday. Then I guess I set up a game plan for new treatment since Tamoxifen failed or never worked to begin with.

• LeeLee38
    LeeLee38 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi everyone!

I'm 38, almost 39. My first diagnosis was at 33. You are all such an inspiration. Thanks for sharing your stories.

• karieichner
    karieichner Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi everyone

I'm 39, almost 40 but was first diagnosed when I was 37 years old with stage 3C triple negative breast cancer. I'm married, no kids, two cats - bad news is the cancer is back and has metastasized so I'm now stage 4. Everyone here is such an inspiration and so happy that I'm not alone in this process (though not happy that any of us have to go through this!!!)

Kari

• bimmer2011
    bimmer2011 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi Ladies - I was just diagnosed with a recurrence at 33 and was initially diagnosed when I was only 28. I get a lot of "but you're so young!" comments about my cancer journey and I am sure you all know the feeling every time someone points it out. I am happy to be able to find a group of people who understand what I am going through because it is a very lonely place when you are told that you are Stage 4.

I don't have all the details about recurrence just yet but go on Monday to discuss details and a treatment plan which before reading many stories on here I wasn't sure I wanted to pursue. I have been holding off on the appointment as long as I could so I could live a few more "normal" days. Monday is fast approaching and I am a wreck but trying to hold it together and stay as positive as I can. Wish me luck

• cjanet
    edited May 2015
    Options

Good luck with the appt Bimmer! I know how nerve wracking it can be to wait!

• mdmama
    mdmama Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, I'm 34 just diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer and liver mets. I've just had a little baby boy 5 weeks ago and my cancer went undiagnosed throughout my pregnancy. I also have a 3 1/2 yr old daughter. I've just found this site and am hoping to find others that have been diagnosed at a young age as I feel so alone right now and am so overwhelmed with everything right now.

• cjanet
    edited June 2015
    Options

Welcome MDmama to the site! These ladies are amazingly supportive and full of knowledge. I know you must be feeling so alone and frightened right now with a newborn and a toddler. There are ladies on here who can relate. I was diagnosed when I was 35 weeks pregnant so baby was born a few weeks early. I want to be here and fight to spend time w my kids, but not to the point where I'm a complete drain on the family.

Tell us a little bit about yourself when you're ready to share.

• mdmama
    mdmama Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi cjanet, thank you for your response. I want to fight to be here for my babies and to see them grow up. I feel so ripped off and am having a very difficult time accepting everything. I been diagnosed with HER2+ breast cancer and have just had my first round of chemo. I'm trying to take everything one day at a time and be strong for my kids and family. Its nice to know I'm not alone. It looks like you have been through so much as well, how are you doing today?

• Herbert1
    Herbert1 Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2015
    Options
    1. hi mdmama! Sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but I have a similar story. I was diagnosed at 35, when my only son was 4 months old. I too was stage 4 w mets to my liver. Totally undetected all through my pregnancy. I went through 6 rounds of chemo and remained stable and then took tamoxifen. However they found mets to my bones in January 2015 and I began chemo again. I have had great results on Abraxane and have a scan this Friday. I have a painful spot on my spine but I'm hoping that is simply from overuse because I'm active now for the first time in almost 2 years! I feel great! It is devastating being diagnosed, but then you hit the ground fighting for those babies!!!! You will be amazed at your strength. Believe in yourself
  • JFL
    edited June 2015
    Options

Welcone Mdmama! Sorry you have to join us. I was dx'd 6 months ago while 32 weeks pregnant. I had extreme symptoms all the way through but thought I was just having a very rough pregnancy. Anyway, starting treatment for us pregnant and post pregnant folks makes a huge difference and can start working very quickly. We have so many growth and sex hormones circulating that cutting them off will start killing the cancer immediately.

• mdillard04
    mdillard04 Member Posts: 83
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi ladies...

I am 36 and diagnosed with mets to the liver on June 8, 2015. This was my first diagnosis after I found a lump in my breast in January 2014 and my doctor said that it was just a cyst. No ultrasound, no mammogram ordered, nothing!!! I trusted him...so I didn't worry. Fast forward to April 6, 2015..I went in for my annual exam and now he feels like it is an issue. April 29, 2015 I was diagnosed with with poorly differentiated IDC and high grade DCIS in the breast around 2.0 cm. My onc prescribed a PETscan that took 18 days to get scheduled and the results of that showed tw0 very small lesions to the liver. After an MRI and biopsy..I just started (yesterday) a once a month Zoladex shot and Ibrance and Femara. Oh...no kids for me and not married....this has been truly a hard pill to swallow. I hope side effects are not too bad. Looking forward to chatting and keeping up with you ladies. I wish you all well!!!

Monika

• JFL
    edited June 2015
    Options

Welcome, Monika. I had delays with my diagnoses as well. Doctors don't seem in a hurry for young women. They assume it is nothing. It is just so wrong to be diagnosed with this before you have a chance to get married and have kids, if you want those things. But there is hope. I know women who have done both post dx.

• JFL
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi all. If any of you know of any good groups for young women with mets (Facebook or otherwise), will you share here? I am looking to find some groups/more support for young women and am sure others are as well.

Thank you!

• CJRT
    CJRT Member Posts: 221
    edited June 2015
    Options

jfl- there is a Facebook group that several women I know belong to. I don't remember the name but do a search for metastatic breast cancer under 40 and it should come up.

• CJRT
    edited June 2015
    Options

Sorry to find you new ladies here but hope that you find the groups on this site as helpful as I have. I was originally diagnosed with stage 2 (though I question this) when my son was 6 weeks old and my daughter was 3.5. Diagnosed with mets randomly 6 months after I finished my initial chemo/surgery/herceptin when a bone lesion showed up on an X-ray. My kids are now 4 and 7, and I've managed to have very good quality of life after reeling from the initial shock. The first two months after the mets diagnosis were brutal but I found so many inspirational women who are living with this disease that I found hope and strength I didn't think was possible.

JFL- there is a Facebook group that some women I know belong to. I believe you can search for it by looking up stage 4 metastic breast cancer under 40. I don't recall the exact name, but last I heard, the admins had made it to be searchable. Hope that helps. If not, let me know and I'll reach out to someone in the group to get the exact link

• JFL
    edited June 2015
    Options

CJRT, thanks for the info!

I know of an excellent group on Facebook - Stage IV Metastatic Breast Cancer Warriors Under 40. I would highly recommend it to anyone who has gone public with your diagnosis. I know some women in the group.

The only thing that has stopped me from joining is that it is very clear it is for women with mets (big sign on the home page clarifying it is not for supporters, family, etc.; only those with mets themselves). I haven't told many people about my mets diagnosis yet. Enjoying living a "normal" life right now and don't want to out myself. Was very public about early stage dx but just not ready yet with mets.

• CJRT
    edited June 2015
    Options

JFL- exactly why I hadn't joined! :)

• cjanet
    edited July 2015
    Options

Thanks for the FB group recommendation- I'm pretty open about everything so I would join.

• gcorinaramos
    gcorinaramos Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2015
    Options

how are you doing?

• marilyhc
    marilyhc Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2016
    Options

I am 38 and I don't know anyone nearby who understands either

• kaayborg
    kaayborg Member Posts: 576
    edited February 2016
    Options

Marilyhc, I would love to talk to you. I sent you a private message as well.

• phrogger78
    phrogger78 Member Posts: 23
    edited February 2016
    Options

I am 37 and most people truly just don't get it. I understand breast cancer is horrible no matter when you get it, but I just never expected it in my 30s, you always hear it's generally older/postmenopausal women. Not someone who could still be considering pregnancies.

• kaayborg
    kaayborg Member Posts: 576
    edited February 2016
    Options

Phrogger, I have pretty much determined that I will never get over the shock of it. I never once even imagined this could happen to me, let alone at this age. I keep waiting for the moment it feels real, like this is actually my life. I don't think that time's ever a-comin'!

• JFL
    edited February 2016
    Options

Marilyhc and Phrogger, welcome. You are not alone, although it definitely feels like it sometimes! You are not alone here, at least.

Kaayborg, I don't feel I will ever get over the shock of it either. I know I have this and I know the stats but still find myself asking "Is this really my life?!" and feeling like I am a complete fraud in some respects. I look and act normal and healthy to the outside world but the reality is something much worse. In some ways, I feel like I am living a double life. I was at an event this weekend honoring someone professionally who was in his 80s. I found myself looking around the room at the mostly much older audience thinking of how my life expectancy is shorter than nearly all of theirs. It was so surreal.

• Bad_At_Usernames
    Bad_At_Usernames Member Posts: 241
    edited February 2016
    Options

Thought I'd introduce myself, although I'm barely in my 30s. It's sad that we probably need a "Ladies in their 20s thread."

I was originally diagnosed at 28 and diagnosed with brain mets at 30. I had a good response to into initial treatment and was super aggressive (AC+THP, then mast, rads, tdm1 clinical trial and Zoladex+Femara) so everyone was shocked except me. I knew that being so young meant that I probably had Round 2 in my future, I just wish I had had more time.

I'm currently recovering from a crainontomy and on an oral chemo that crosses the blood brain barrier. I'm still pretty optimistic about beating the odds and I hope I'm not in denial. I just feel so good it's hard to imagine dying young. My brain mets didn't cause any painful or terribly distressing symptoms (despite being huuuuuge) and my main issues are fatigue from the brain surgery and tummy trouble from the chemo, both of which are manageable. It does feel surreal