Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ladies in their 30s?

Options

Comments

• kaayborg
    kaayborg Member Posts: 576
    edited February 2016
    Options

Bad AUN...every time I think I'm so young, there is always someone younger. Hate, hate, hate this disease!!!

JFL...every time I see older couples anywhere, I am always gazing upon them with envy, even as they shuffle through the hospital or my chemo unit, but especially this weekend when I was out hiking and enjoying a rare 70 degree day in Ohio winter. Oh, how I hope to be on the trails late into my 60s and beyond. This is not likely and most of the time I believe it impossible but one can't help but to hang on to that thread of hope, which may indeed be more adequately named denial. Still, I do believe there is still so much good to be found in a life so very different than I imagined.

• phrogger78
    phrogger78 Member Posts: 23
    edited February 2016
    Options

28? That is insanely young, yet they keep saying it is not common at all in younger women. It truly makes me wonder what is happening that is causing this disease to pop up in younger women. Of course all of my Dr.'s have their theories on why I got it so young. (fertility drugs, I used a TON and I mean a TON of estrodial injections), but there is no proof yet that taking fertility drugs and injecting yourself with very concentrated, high doses of estrogen and progesterone, causes breast cancer. Especially if you did it and you weren't lacking those hormones to begin with. (I was not infertile). So I wonder if we will soon see a spike in younger women. Or maybe not as so many Dr.'s seem to refuse this can happen and don't want to send their patients for scans.

• Bosco2602
    Bosco2602 Member Posts: 21
    edited February 2016
    Options

I am joining you ladies as well. Diagnosed bone mets right out of the gate at 38. I was still breastfeeding my 11 month old when I fell and broke my collarbone, X-ray showed moth eaten bone which ended up being bc. I have 3 boys, 1,7 and 9. The 7 year old asks me weekly if I'm going to die. Fun times...No family history at all. It definitely does not feel like real life. I joined to try and find people to talk to since no one I know has even come close to what I'm dealing with and they don't get it.

Sending love to all of you dealing with this

• Sparkysbrat
    Sparkysbrat Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2016
    Options

hello. I am 36 and stage IV. Originally diagnosed at age 32. Braca gene 1 +. Mets to lungs, bones, and lymph nodes. Began New treatment 2/25/16. Would love to hear from anyone my age!!! Or near my age 😃

• phrogger78
    edited February 2016
    Options

Bosco2602, I am sorry you are here, it is not the place I wanted to be either, especially not in my 30's, but it seems like there are quite a few of us who are going through this together. At least we have each other to lean on while we are trying to navigate all of this.

• kaayborg
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hello, Sparkysbrat! What treatment did you start? How is it going so far? I'm glad this thread is getting some more activity. Looking forward to getting to know you all a bit better.

• kaayborg
    edited February 2016
    Options

Bosco, so curious to know how you respond to the death questions from your 7 year old.

• Bosco2602
    edited February 2016
    Options

Phrogger78, thanks for the welcome, sorry that you find. Yourself in this situation as well. We're you just diagnosed? Stage iv right away or had you had bc before?

Kaayborg, it's been tough i just had to shave my head today and that hurt him he thinks I'm getting sicker because se are kicking in. I am as honest as a 7 year old needs to hear. I say yes you can die from cancer But that I have some of the best Drs around and they have me on really good medicine. I tell him that I'm not going to die anytime soon and that I am fighting with all have so I can be here to watch him grow up.

• phrogger78
    edited February 2016
    Options

I was diagnosed with stage 4 basically right away. I got my dx in December that I had cancer, January I had my PET scan that showed something in my lung, I had my biopsy of my lung then in February I got the results of that. So each month I keep getting worse news, but that should be the end of the shocking news. I only hope there is decent news from here on out.

My youngest son is 6 and he recently said that since my hair isn't going to fall out, that means my cancer is worse, but at least no one will make fun of my bald head. He also said he needed to eat more broccoli because that prevents cancer and cancer kills you. I had to remind him that people can live for a long time with cancer and he said "i sure hope so". It really breaks my heart to have to have these conversations with such a little guy. My older boys (19, 16 and 16) do seem to get it a little more and they can understand the differences between the stages and what it all means etc. But for the 6 year old, it is such a hard/abstract concept that I try not to give him more information than what he is asking for.

• JFL
    JFL Member Posts: 1,373
    edited February 2016
    Options

Wow. Not looking forward to these questions with my little one. He is only 14 months so I have some time. Bosco and Phrogger, it sounds like your mothers' intuition is guiding each of you to do what is right for your children and that you are doing a great job. It must be so hard to have those conversations.

• Smellimd82
    Smellimd82 Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2016
    Options

hi everyone. I'm Kelli. I'm 33 with widespread bone mets. Going into my 16th month of Ned on faslodex xgeva and ibrance.

• Bosco2602
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi smellimd82

Welcome to the club that no one wants to be in!

Hoping all of you are having a wonderful weekend so far.

I had my first scan since diagnosis this past Thursday. The results were ok everything seems to have shrunk some. My original dx I had two spots on my liver that I was told may or may not be cancer, well I guess I chose denial and told myself that it wasn't cancer. Just my luck sure enough it was and although they are shrinking I am even more devastated to know it's beyond the bone. Major organ is involved and I feel like even more of my life is gone due to this awful disease.

Sorry for the vent I'm just having a pitty party for myself today.

• phrogger78
    edited March 2016
    Options

Bosco I have no mets to my bones, only to my lung. I know it is scary, but it is what it is at this point and I really don't feel like it is any worse than say in the bones. It has spread but it will be kept under control with treatment for a LONG time. (that is my thinking). I just have to stay positive about it all.

• kaayborg
    edited March 2016
    Options

Bosco, definitely visit the liver mets forum. It is the most active thread I follow and there are lots of great ladies doing great. I've only got liver mets and I've got them BAD but they are shrinking and I am doing well. I also do not consider it any worse than in the bones. Still, I know your pain. If I found out my liver mets spread to my bones I'd be throwing a pity-party for myself, too. It's just like you said, "feeling that even more of my life is gone." I think what matters most is effective treatment, not where or how much or many. On that note, I think I'm gonna flunk chemo Tues and this makes me nervous. The catheter on my port bruises my skin when platelets are low and so it is bruised today. I've already reduced once. Hoping not to have to move to a diff. drug as gem/carbo is going so nicely other than this platelet problem. GRRRR!

• kaayborg
    edited March 2016
    Options

Smellimd, yay for NED for over a year! I don't know if I'll ever get there myself but I dream of it. Keep posting here. I feel I really need this group of younger ladies. Other threads are fantastic too but there is this different kind of ache we have, maybe not necessarily deeper, but different.

• kaayborg
    edited March 2016
    Options

I haven't had time to post but have been reading. I apologize I'm replying in a reserve order things I thought to say on the initial read. Bosco, I also wanted to say thanks for sharing about what you've said to your children. I think mine are having such an easier go this time because I do not have the outward sign of hair loss. They seem very unaffected by my cancer this time round compared to being stage 1a without hair. They know I will always have cancer and therefore must always have treatment so that I do not die. They seem to be okay with this. I often wonder what questions might arise with progression or at what point I will even tell them.

• Bosco2602
    edited March 2016
    Options

kaayborg and phrogger78 thank you for the response. I don't mean to be a Debbie downer and I know it could always be worse. Just shocked and disappointed. The first onc I meet with the day after dx was a real charmer and told me oh well at least you don't have organ involement that's when things get tough, she also told me I had 1-2 years left. I walked out and headed right to Boston and never went back to her. But her words still stick in the back of my head.

I will definitely check out the liver group.

Kaayborg I hope you don't flunk chemo this week, is there anything you can do to keep your platelets up?

Hoping for all of us mets girls a very long life.

Smellimd yay for Ned!! Over a year is amazing I also hope I can get there!

• Kjones13
    Kjones13 Member Posts: 662
    edited March 2016
    Options

hey ladies! Just wanted to drop by and say I hate this disease! I have had similar thoughts and feelings along the way...my feelings when I see old people...my conversations with my children (soon to be 5 and 12--when dx 16 months and 8). I have had a great response to treatment. I am very lucky. I have mets to my liver (3) and spine (2). But I am currently no evidence of active disease. And I've been that way for 2 1/2 yrs, I think. I can't remember crap anymore. Anyway, we all have a different path, but for myself, I hate that I waisted so much of my time being stuck in the dark hole. Really...almost the whole 3+ years! I felt like I tried to get out of the hole. Tried every med possible. Tried exercise...the biggest issue I have had is fatigue. Keeping up the house and the kids and taking care of all the mom stuff we do!!! I just got (still get) overwhelmed and decided to wallow in my grief. That's what it is. Grieving a life I won't have. Someone else raising my kids. My husband remarrying because he could live another 50+ years...I've only had him for 6 years. See how easy it is to slip down that slope. It just spirals. I got my life back when I finally stood my ground with the onc and demanded Ritalin. That's the only advice I will give--stand up, speak up about your health care! No one else will. I wish you ladies weren't here with me. I was 34 when dx stage 4 from the get go. I am now 37 1/2. That's a lot of living squeezed in there. I just wanted to throw out a little hope. I *was* a counselor and the most wonderful professor I ever had taught me: I know you are in a hard place right now and you may not yet be able to see how you are going to continue living with this loss. But I have hope that you will find your way. You may have lost your hope and that's ok. I will hold onto that hope until you are ready to have it back and hold onto it for yourself

• theziz
    theziz Member Posts: 134
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi ladies;

I'm 38 now and was diagnosed at the age of 36, stage 2. A year later after finishing with chemotherapy, surgery and radiotherapy, when I was getting ready to finish the reconstruction my Dr. found a lump on my clavicle and it turned out to be positive for breast cancer. A Pet scan revealed metsto the bones and liver. I was put on ibrance with letrozole, xgeva for the bones and zoladex to shutdown my ovaries.

I have 2 young kids 9 and 4.

I have the same fears as all of you ladies and it is really difficult.

Now it's time for a CT SCAN and my nervous get the best of me.

I'm from Costa Rica but I see my oncologist in Deerfield FL.

I was very active and athletic before the diagnosis and I try to still be as athletic and active as possible.

Cheers ladies

• kaayborg
    edited March 2016
    Options

Theziz, wishing you the very best with your scans. Hate the wait, hate the wait! Kjones, I love what your professor said and I'm tucking away the Ritalin idea. Bosco, there is nothing to do for platelets but delay or reduce chemo. Transfusions for low reds and drugs for low whites (I'm on Neulasta) but nothing for those platelets. Keeping my fingers crossed that reducing and delaying doesn't affect efficacy.

• Bosco2602
    edited March 2016
    Options

kjones I love what your professor said as well, it made me tear up. I have the same thoughts as you about who will take care of my kids, my husband remarrying.. Ugh

I try to be as positive as can be but it is a very slippery slop thinking about everything I will most likely miss out on.

2 1/2 years Ned is amazing, congrats 😃

Theziz

I see your from Costa Rica? What part my hubby and I went there on our honeymoon and fell in love with it. Can't wait to go back.good luck on your scans, I know how bad scanxiety can be, just had mine last week.

I too was a very active person who lifted weights 5-6 days a week and since starting treatment I have done nothing

I'm so tired chasing after a 1 year old working full time and being dragged all over by the 9 and 7 year old.

Kaayborg bummer there isn't anytthey can do for the low platelets.

• mdillard04
    mdillard04 Member Posts: 83
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi ladies... Glad to see this thread has been revived. I was diagnosed Stage 4 after 4 weeks of being Stage 2 while awaiting PET scan scheduling and results. Metastasis to the liver for me. 2 small lesions. Pure and utter devestation. Medically driven into menopause and robbed of being a mom. I too am having a hard time finding peace with all this. Oh and I am still working full time, benefits/ insurance are pretty good and I need the money. I wish I could go 24 hours without thinking about cancer

• theziz
    theziz Member Posts: 134
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi ladies;

It's not a good day for me. TM keep going up and up.

Scan results tomorrow and we will see what awaits for me and my family.

Anyone here know what happens when ibrance fails you?

Cheers and thanks for being here for me

• mdillard04
    mdillard04 Member Posts: 83
    edited March 2016
    Options

Sorry to hear theziz! I am Ibrance along with you! I think alot of the ladies in our Ibrance thread move on to Xeloda.

• JFL
    JFL Member Posts: 1,373
    edited March 2016
    Options

Theziz, sorry to hear about your TMs. I just learned yesterday that I have to switch from Ibrance to Xeloda. Another alternative is Afinitor with Aromasin (or another AI). It depends on the location and extent of progression. Hoping for good news for you tomorrow.

• CJRT
    CJRT Member Posts: 221
    edited March 2016
    Options

Theziz- sorry about your tumor markers! We have many similarities- I'm also 38, I'm in your neck of the woods, and my kids are about the ages of yours. I probably have gotten some of my treatment where you get yours. Hoping you get relieving news soon.

• dreichlin
    dreichlin Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi ladies! This is my very first post. I was diagnosed with liver, lung and bone mets in January. I am 39, married and have 2 girls ages 14 and 12. So far, I feel ok. I have had 4 rounds of gemzar and carboplatin. So thankful to have found this forum

• kaayborg
    edited March 2016
    Options

Dreichlin, you and I have quite a bit in common...39, married, liver mets, on gem/carb beginning my 11th round on Tues., have girls but 3...ages 12, 9, 7. Also, feeling fine. Keep posting how you're doing, good or bad. We all need to hear it.

• MaryK87
    MaryK87 Member Posts: 36
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi all!

liver, lungs and bones mets at the age of 29..currently undergoing treatment and coping with side effects. kaayborg! I finally found it. :)

• Bad_At_Usernames
    Bad_At_Usernames Member Posts: 241
    edited March 2016
    Options

Sorry to see other late 20s/early 30s ladies here. I'm triple positive, originally diagnosed at 28 and brain mets diagnosed at 30.

I got married to a wonderful man during my original treatment and it will be two years at the end of the month. He took my brain mets Dx hard - he truly thought I was cured of cancer. He's doing a lot better emotionally now since I had my crainontomy though. We have no kids but if I do ok we hope maybe we can have a child through surrogacy.

I work at a non profit implementing diagnostic reading testing in an elementary school. I just went back to work this week and it has wiped me out! I've been coming home and going straight to bed to nap. Glad I can continue working though, it's been a great distraction. I did not work during my early stage treatments and it was boring sitting at home.

What about you girls??