Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ladies in their 30s?

Options

Comments

• texasrose361
    texasrose361 Member Posts: 895
    edited January 2013
    Options

Brandall and NBnotes- i honestly dont know who or why they dont do mx with stage 4 although they DID do mine after knowing i was stage 4. ANd i think if that "option was taken away" you could just find another dr that would do it right???? Maybe its an insurance thing???? 

J1e1n1a- thats exactly what they did in my case (chemo first to shrink it then bi lat mx) they may still be going for that option. When do you see the suregon?

Thank you for sharing that English! Loved the video- such a positive attitude!

Ready2win- How do you like the TDM1??? Are those your kids in your avatar? Cute!

Tera- Thats awesome! No sorry I am in south tx... What areas would you like to travel to? 

• Kasi
    Kasi Member Posts: 34
    edited January 2013
    Options

I love that our little thread is so active...well, you know what I mean! Wish that none of us were here but glad we're in it together.

Weighing in on the hysterectomy topic, my onc wants an ooph sooner than later. Gah, I hate the thought of more surgery (I had a bilateral with reconstruction when I was IIb) but I guess I gotta do what I gotta do. I'm on Lupron & Tamoxifen now. Worried that the ooph is going to give me some super severe menopause symptoms (I just have a few hot flashes and dryness now).

• aic
    aic Member Posts: 37
    edited January 2013
    Options

Kasi, thank you for starting this thread so much. I am glad we have all found a home so to speak.

• brandall
    brandall Member Posts: 97
    edited January 2013
    Options

Have any of you done radiation?  I'm about to start on Monday.  It kind of freaks me out that I'll still be producing estrogen during that time (hysterectomy is schedule for mid-march) and I'm not on any drugs to stop them.  Can you do the Lupron shots while you are on radiation?  I know they won't do the Tamoxifen until after I stop.  When I asked about this before, the Onc just said that since I'm still in chemo induced menopause and probably will be for at least 6 months to a year following chemo, that I'll be fine.  Wonder if that is true?  Sometimes, it's all just so confusing!  I feel like I type that a lot LOL.

Kasi - thanks for starting this thread :)  

• stellaratovsky
    stellaratovsky Member Posts: 131
    edited January 2013
    Options

Brandall- the order sounds about right. I was diagnosed at 37 years of age. Then I had my surgery, then recovered from surgery about a month later i started Chemo for 8 rounds and radation last for about a month. Then about a month later I started tomoxfin and lupron injections.

• brandall
    edited January 2013
    Options

Stellaratov - Thank you!  That makes me feel much better :)

• kayrnic
    kayrnic Member Posts: 111
    edited January 2013
    Options

brandall.......I took tamoxifen during radiation. My RO said it was fine. ?????

• Bondgirl
    Bondgirl Member Posts: 14
    edited January 2013
    Options

Texasrose, where don't I want travel? Lol. Dream locations are Italy and santorini

Greece. I also want to travel with our 4 year old so probably another trip to Disney. I could stay indefinitely on a beach!

I did radiation before Tamoxifen. The radiation was uncomfortable (the positioning) and exhausting (daily treatment). Trying to juggle that with work and 2.5 year old was a lot. But in hindsight it passed quickly. Good luck!

Tera

• j1e1n1a
    j1e1n1a Member Posts: 84
    edited January 2013
    Options

Brandall- i just started 1st round of Chemo today along with Lupron zometa and 1st radiation. hope this helps. i know all our treatments are different.

Texasrose- i spoke with my oncologist today he is still suggesting bilateral even w stage 4.

Hope everyone is feeling well. Wish me luck on few side effects w all this mess i ingested today...lol.

• brandall
    edited January 2013
    Options

J1e1n1a - holy cow!  You have a lot going on!  Good luck and I hope you have minimal side effects!

• nbnotes
    nbnotes Member Posts: 338
    edited January 2013
    Options

J1e1n1a - I hope that your first chemo went "well" and that you are as side effect free as possible.  I  can't imagine doing all of that in one day.  How many chemo treatments do you have?  And how many radiation?

• j1e1n1a
    edited January 2013
    Options

This first one was Taxotere and Cytoxin only. They left off the Adriamycin with this first batch since it can interact with radiation.(also got zometa and lupron)

I will do radiation every day this week and next week for sure.... but not sure if week after since they are gonna put me on The Adriamycin for my next treatment.

• texasrose361
    edited January 2013
    Options

I wondered about an ooph as well.... 

Brandall- I did radiation 33 treatments, only SE from that was the skin sorta burned in my crease from where i had to position my arm, strange i was on tamox since dec 2010 (when i finished chemo) all the way through my mx, and radiation- only stopped when i had progression and they found my cancer was no longer ER+....

Gotta run- more later

• brandall
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hmm...isn't it so strange how depending on what doctor you have, things can be so different!  I think they are waiting on the tamoxifen because there are some indications that either the radiation isn't as effective with the tamoxifen or vice versa, I can't remember which.  

On a different note, today is my 37th birthday!  Hooray for another birthday!!!!

• j1e1n1a
    edited January 2013
    Options

Happy birthday Brandall! :-)

• stellaratovsky
    stellaratovsky Member Posts: 131
    edited January 2013
    Options

Brandall----Happy 37th birthday and may you have many more come...

• nbnotes
    nbnotes Member Posts: 338
    edited January 2013
    Options

Happy Birthday Brandall!

• kayrnic
    kayrnic Member Posts: 111
    edited January 2013
    Options

Happy Birthday! It's my brothers bday too......he has one year on you.

• aic
    edited January 2013
    Options

Happy Birthday Brandall!!!! Here's to many many more!!!

• brandall
    edited January 2013
    Options

Thanks Ladies!  It's amazing how this pesky diagnosis makes the idea of getting old enjoyable instead of something to dread ;)

• texasrose361
    edited January 2013
    Options

Sorry I had to pop off so quickly yesterday... Had some errands to run and of course DH was running on time yesterday!

So continuing-

Tera- We'd love to go to Puerto Rico (thats where my husband's mother's side of the family lives. He's never met his 90+ yr old grandmother b/c she doesnt fly) also Australia! I really want to get a PR trip in soon due to the fact his grandmothers age, but finances suck LOL So its just local travels for us right now.

J1e1n1a- Glad you got some answers on the MX

I agree it is crazy how everyone has varied treatment plans...

Brandall I know this past Nov when i turned 30 i was overjoyed to have reached that milestone!

• hope4acure
    hope4acure Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2013
    Options

I was originally diagnosed at age 27 with stage 2b in 2003. Five years later I am a 33 year old facing stage 4 metastatic disease. I have fought off two brain tumors by having a gamma knife. Currently I am 36 years old and getting ready to start Herceptin,taxotere,pertuzumab on friday. Ihave been through the alphabet with the chemo drugs I have been on. That is why i call myself a Chemo hitch hiker. But i am thankful because i have been given three years and hopefully more.

• Bondgirl
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hope, you have been through so much already. I just did my 3rd treatment of herceptin, perjeta and taxotere. It's doable. For me almost exactly like TCH when I was stage III. My tumor markers were down a few points after 1st treatment and I have scans this week at MDA. Hoping and praying for good news.

• hope4acure
    hope4acure Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2013
    Options

What side effects have you experienced so far?

• Bondgirl
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hair loss was quick....day 14 as opposed to 21 for me. Had horrible acne breakout on face and back but antibiotics have pretty much cleared it up. The fatigue is pretty intense for me for about 2 days. I'm also highly emotional on those days which I suspect is the steroids. Taste buds also are bad for at least a week. I also have pretty bad heartburn. I have read a lot of women struggle with diarrhea but mine is pretty well controlled with Immodium. But I'm always conscientious of nearest restroom and have lost all modesty in that department! I'm 4 days out from chemo and I expect to feel much better tomorrow. I was just thinking tonight that perhaps I'm tolerating better this time around but really I think I'm just tougher!

Are you getting a loading dose for first round? Many of us do so be prepared that the first round may actually be the worst!

Good luck!

Tera

• LnP
    LnP Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    Options

I just joined the site today, and I'm really suprised to see all of the ladies that are so young with metastatic breast cancer. I was diagnosed this past July, two months after getting married. I'm 28. I've met some other ladies at the infusion center who are young like me, but everyone is stage 1. Its hard to really identify with someone who isn't in our situation.

and I see that some of you ladies are just starting the Taxotere, Perjetta, Herceptin course. I did my cycle from august-december. My hair is all fuzzy and starting to grow back now. I continue to get herceptin and perjetta every three weeks, forever, and they added me on Tamoxofen. Luckily, now that the taxotere is done, i'm not finding too many side effects except a bit of joint pain in my knees. 

• Kasi
    edited January 2013
    Options

Welcome LnP! Sorry you are joining us but glad you are here Laughing

• aic
    edited January 2013
    Options

Welcome LnP.....I was on the same tx as you...hoping I will start just p&h on Monday. Ladies, I have a scan tomorrow. Nervous! Was NED after my last one in November, but they want to do another at the end of my six chemos. Hoping I am still NED since it has only been a couple of months and I have been on chemo. But you never know with this beast! Ugh!

• Kasi
    edited January 2013
    Options

Fingers crossed for NED aic!!!!!!

• brandall
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hello LnP - Sorry you have to join our thread, but at least there is a place to get support :)  I was diagnosed this past July as well.  I only saw ONE other person as young as I was (36) in the infusion room the 8 times I went there.  Everyone would stare at me when I came in, but I got used to it :)  Glad that you are feeling better!

aic - I'll be sending tons of positive juju your way that your scans still come up NED!!!