Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ladies in their 30s?

Options

Comments

• nbnotes
    nbnotes Member Posts: 338
    edited January 2013
    Options

aic -- Sending lots of positive thoughts for NED!

• j1e1n1a
    j1e1n1a Member Posts: 84
    edited January 2013
    Options

Good hear from you all hope everyone doing well.

aic...thinking positive thoughts for you.... : )

anyone familiar w/ kyphoplasty?

• brandall
    brandall Member Posts: 97
    edited January 2013
    Options

J1e1n1a - I used to work in Work Comp and I had a gentleman have kyphoplasty and he did really well.  I don't have any experience (or heard of any) with it in the cancer world though...

I started my first day of radiation today.  I wasn't able to get my appointment times for the remaining 29 treatments until this morning.  Makes finding childcare for my 3 year old pretty tough.  I've been e-mailing and calling people all day to try and get someone to watch him for my appointment times.  It doesn't help that I have 3 different appointment times depending on the week. This system is definitely NOT set up for moms with little kids.  He is too little to come with me and sit quietly in the waiting room.  Ugh.

I also had a spectacular meltdown last night.  Poor hubs :(  I was running on the treadmill (I was on week 3 of couch to 5K) and I just couldn't finish running this one 5 minute chunck.  My heart was racing and I was so tired and out of breath.  I did this same program last year pre-cancer and it was SO much easier.  When I got off the treadmill I just lost it.  I'm a very competitive person and the idea that I wasn't able to do what I set out to do was so frustrating.  I just felt SO good about myself (lost 36lbs and was running 10K races) before my diagnosis in July and now I just feel worse than I felt last year at this time when I was a couch potato.  I had a little pity party for myself about how cancer has taken so much away :(  The hubs talked me down and now I'm back to myself today.  I guess I just needed a bit of an emotional release ;)

• Bondgirl
    Bondgirl Member Posts: 14
    edited January 2013
    Options

Lnp, were you NED after 6 rounds? My oncologist couldn't tell me at this point how many rounds of taxotere I would have but said it couldn't be forever. Would need break at some point. She said we may just lower the dose to low as possible at some point because some insurance plans won't pay perjeta without chemo. Hoping to only have 6 to 8 and get to the coveted NED! Glad to hear a few of you ladies are doing so well. There is a perjeta/herceptin/taxo topic a few pages back and some of the ladies are not getting the results we are all praying for on this new combo. Love to hear good news!

• texasrose361
    texasrose361 Member Posts: 895
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hope- glad you got 3 years thus far, i didnt do the perjeta, but experinced the similar side effects- hair loss was quick too, i cut it short at first sing of clumps being lost, but i looked like a mangey dog (bald patches everywhere) so i opted to shave my hair.

Weight gain! but that was probably onlybecause a combo of less exercise- just too tired! and the steroids!

LnP- sorry to see you joining us! Yeah the only people remotly close to my age at my treatment center is staged 1 too... 

• texasrose361
    edited January 2013
    Options

Brandall- I was in the same situration with my little guy (he was 3 too when i did radiation) I contacted various day cares and explained my situation- honestly i couldnt afford to put him day care at the time. They let me take him just for the 3 hours i needed (my radiation dr is an hr from my house) at a sliding scale. they dont normally do that. Usually you have to pay for full time no matter the amount of time he'll be there.

I also thought of just hiring a girl to sit with him in the waiting room. I actually approached American Cancer Society and asked why dont they have childcare help- like maybe other ppl that have gone through cancer treatments and know how hard it is for us young moms (no matter the stage really) they said "we dont do that but you can call our national number) i think there is a website care.com or something for childcare.

Bondgirl- I was supposed to have 8, but the nueropothy(couldnt feel my fingers or toes) was too bad and they had to stop at 7. 

• Bondgirl
    Bondgirl Member Posts: 14
    edited January 2013
    Options

Texasrose, I'm sure you mentioned this in the threads back but how did your cancer react to the perjeta combo before you had to stop? What are you taking now?  Sorry you weren't able to finish but 7 is impressive!  I started feeling signs of neuropathy after first loading dose but so far so good since then. 

• Elisha82
    Elisha82 Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hello, I'm 30, was 29 when dx with stage 3 BC. Recently dx with stage 4 Mets to brain, as well as leptomeningeal carcinoma- where cancer cells are in fluid around brain and spinal cord. I have a 2 year old son. 

-Elisha

• texasrose361
    edited January 2013
    Options

Bon- i didnt have the Perjeta. Only the Taxotere. The taxotere alone was awesome on my cancer. the scans after stopping taxotere showed that I was NED- that lasted for 1 year before progression, i was on tamoxafen but my cancer was no longer ER+ so that was prob why i had progression.

Elisha- Welcome, sorry you have to be here, but glad you found us. As you prob read, a lot of us have young children like you. What sort of treatment are you on currently?

• lynne248
    lynne248 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    Options

OK - - late joining this thread.  I was diagnosed, stage IV from the start, in 2009 at age 34.  My daughter was 8 months old.

brandall- - I went through similar issues with radiation.  And they kept trying to change it.  I was pretty firm about what times I was able to make, as I had arranged for child care (5 different people, each person had a day of the week, Monday, Tuesday,... to cover, for the 6 weeks of radiation).  I had to go up to management to push the point home, but in the end got the time I needed, and had it stay consistent throughout.  Sometimes you just have to be pushy.

• thekimmyest
    thekimmyest Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    Options

I'm a stage IV breast cancer survivor, diagnosed at 25 and beat it at 26 :)

• hope4acure
    hope4acure Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2013
    Options

bondgirl Yes I will be recieving a loading dose tomorrow. I am nervous about starting treatment, but I have to get through it. Thanks for the heads up on the side effects. I am stocked up on immodium..lol. 

Cool gotta have hopeSealed

• aic
    aic Member Posts: 37
    edited January 2013
    Options

Wishing you minimal side effects tomorrow, hope!

• hope4acure
    edited January 2013
    Options

Thank you aic 

• Stormynyte
    Stormynyte Member Posts: 179
    edited January 2013
    Options

Thekimmyest, you beat it..you mean you are NED or in remission right now?

• hope4acure
    edited January 2013
    Options

Well today didn't go as planned because my MRI came back with very bad news.My mri showed three brain lesions in total. So today we only did the perjeta/herceptin till i see my radiation oncologist and my neurologist next week. 

• Kasi
    Kasi Member Posts: 34
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hope4acure, ugh. I am so, so, sorry :( That effin' sucks.

• aic
    aic Member Posts: 37
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hope, so sorry for your news :( keep us posted on the new plan.

• brandall
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hope, that really freaking sucks.  I'm sorry :(  Hopefully your doctor will have a plan!  I'll be thinking about you!!

• texasrose361
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hope- Ugh! What a bummer! How soon do you see them next week? Keep us posted girl! You're in my prayers for sure!

• j1e1n1a
    edited January 2013
    Options

O hope...so sorry to here that....praying for you.

• nbnotes
    nbnotes Member Posts: 338
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hope - Sorry to hear this news. You will be in my thoughts & prayers!

• hope4acure
    edited January 2013
    Options

Thanks ladies. I am lucky enough that I see my neurologist on Tues. and will find out on monday when i will be able to see my radiation onocologist. Thank god i go to the the James cancer hospital they have their shit together.

• brandall
    edited January 2013
    Options

I'm curious how many of you had original breast tumors that hurt.  When I found my lump, I didn't get it checked out right away because I e-mailed my doctor about it and she said "cancer does't hurt", when I googled breast lumps almost all of the sites I visited indicated that cancer hardly ever hurts.  Yet of the 3 people I know in real life who got BC before they were 40...ALL of their tumors hurt.  Maybe because young people tend to get really aggressive cancer?  I actually found my lump because all of a sudden I felt a severe pain in my left breast, when I put my hand there, I found a large lump.  So large - there is NO way I think I would have missed it in the shower.  Weird.  But that sucker hurt from that moment it on.  It throbbed all the way up until the morning they cut off my breast.  

Any way, just wondering how many of you had painful breast tumors?

• j1e1n1a
    edited January 2013
    Options

mine hurt but only after mammogram...no i take that back i did have a sharp pain a couple of times after i fiund it. I found the lump myself. They did not find it 4 months earlier at gynecology appt. ...little odd since it was so large. i have been told i have dense breasts.

• brandall
    edited January 2013
    Options

J1e1n1a, I too had a breast exam at my annual exam about 4 months prior where they didn't find anything!

• j1e1n1a
    edited January 2013
    Options

our situations are very similar. This whole thing just sucks. I wish that we didn't have to have so many things in common...but it is nice to be able to relate.

• Kjones13
    Kjones13 Member Posts: 662
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hey guy's! I've been following along for a couple days and decided to join in the fun! It's been hard to find other young mothers in the same situation around here. I'm getting fairly anxious because i only have three treatments left!! I have had 15 weeks of taxol and every 3 weeks I get herceptin and pertuzumab. I will be on the latter two indefinitely. Will have scans after taxol is complete to see next steps. I'm excited because at the half way point, my liver mets were reduced by 50%! And yes my boobs hurt in the beginning too!

• ango74
    ango74 Member Posts: 31
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hi ladies,  I'm 38, 33 at initial diagnosis.  I have two kidds, my daughter is 15 and my son is 7.  I feel for you going through this with toddlers! My son was 2 when I was diagnosised the first time......it was so difficult. 

I have been on TDM1 for the past 7 1/2 months.  I went into it with 2 liver mets, one was 2.5cm and the other 4.6cm.  The smaller one is gone and the larger one is down to 1.3cm.  Just got my scan results and it seems my lung mets are growing but I was also really sick with a chest cold when I had scans.  My oncologist is going to rescan me next week with hopes that maybe it was a fluke.  If it shows progression I will be going on Taxotere, herceptin and perjeta.  Really nervous.

Angie

• texasrose361
    edited January 2013
    Options

Brandall- YES! it was so painful! It felt like someone sticking a hot match into my breast! I was literally sobbing when i was getting the breast MRI, the way they had me laying my on my belly with my boobs hanging down A- made my breast sorta pull and make that area hurt and B- the pressure of the bar between my breast had been pressing on my stermun which i found oout later had cancer. 

Welcome Kjones! Glad you joined in. Herceptin indefintily? I thought (i may be wrong) but we're only given it for 1 year at a time. (but as you can see we ALL have had tx plans vary so widely that who knows anymore!)  How old are your kids?

Welcome too Angie! Glad to hear your liver mets are responding. Hopefully the lung scans were off b/c of the chest cold! Keep us updated!