Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ladies in their 30s?

Options

Comments

• brandall
    brandall Member Posts: 97
    edited February 2013
    Options

nbnotes - I'm glad that things are going better than you expected!  Keep me updated!  I hope you are back on your feet in no time!

Sjayne and Beebop - Hello!  

CJRT - I'm so sorry about your new diagnosis.  I was devastated at first (and still am) but I have learned to keep on trucking :)  You are right, we have to live for our babies :) Some days completely suck and other days I hardly remember that I have cancer.  This site has given me lots of hope.  There are MANY ladies on here who have been going strong for 5-10 years.  I always figure I just need to keep going until the next big treatments come along :)

• mmarsh
    mmarsh Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    Options

Hi Ladies,  I'm now 38 yrs old just found out in December 2012 of Reoccurance w/ Stage IV Mets to Rib Bones, and Both Lungs.  Originally Diagnosed at 34 yrs w/ DCIS + BRCA 2 positive.  Was a told doing a Bi-Lateral Mastecomy in 2008 would illiminate my possibilities of a Reoccurance. Apparently not.  Here I am now, Stage IV Mets. Frown I have a 5 yr old & a 2 yr old, I am determined to be  Grandmother one day!

• texasrose361
    texasrose361 Member Posts: 895
    edited February 2013
    Options

CJRT- i think that is the mentality that all of us parents share- we have to be around for our kids.

mmarsh- Its really easy to beat our selves up over the choices we make/made with treatment, but we have to remember that even one cell undetectable by any sort of tests or scans may "slip through the cracks" so to speak and lie dormant for years. This isnt only for stage 3 patients but anyone that has ever faced a cancer diagnosis- there is no sure fire way to tell if your cancer will migrate or stay put. Us younger gals (and guys) are living in real time with cancer- meaning what we're going through is a new territory for doctors. Never before us were a large amount of beast cancer patients dx'd in their 20s and 30s. Like I've said in one of my earlier posts my doctor told me "40's is too young to be dx'd with bc (let alone stage 4), 30s is rare and 20s is almost unheard of" We are on the front lines in terms of treatments and def there with exceeding the "prognosis" that statistically are out there. 18-24 months is supposed to be the average. The ACS (amercian cancer society) Says only 15% of women staged 4 will survive past 5 years. Here on this website alone there are hundreds of women that have passed the 5 year mark- and quite a few that have passed the ten year mark.

Technically I have lived 201 days past that 24th month mark. These are days that I spent with my children, days I spent with my husband, days I lazily stayed in bed when I felt like it, days I filled with activities, days I've laughed and days I cried. Soon I will measure it in years!

Anyhow I am trying to express my hopes and dreams for all of us young cancer patients- we will be setting a new benchmark when it comes to the numbers they use to compile these statistics!

• CJRT
    CJRT Member Posts: 221
    edited February 2013
    Options

Texas Rose- Your words resonated with me this morning, gave me hope, and brought tears to my eyes. Thank you.

• texasrose361
    edited February 2013
    Options

Awwww It was after reading yours and marsh's posts that inspired me to write something for women that are just finding their way here to realise A- they are without people that understand both their ups and downs, and B- they are not without hope!

• Sjayne2u
    Sjayne2u Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2013
    Options

Texasrose - very well put. Thanks for the hope.

• Marcijos
    Marcijos Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2013
    Options

Thank you SJayne2u!! I had 2 doctors with 2 different opinions regarding BMX. I want to have it done when my chemo is done. I was dx with stage 4 (bone mets) triple negative.. I don't want a reoccurrence after I get it beat down to submission!!! I hope you're healing well!!

• j1e1n1a
    j1e1n1a Member Posts: 84
    edited February 2013
    Options

Hey ladies hope everyone had a good week.

Brandall- Kyphoplasty went well ...thanks. I am all cemented healed, and almost done with the Radiation to the area. Tuesday is my last Rad to T9

nbnotes- glad all went well ..hope you still feel okay.

Kay- i agree with you on treating this like chronic desease. your words always give me strength. thanks..

Hi Beebop, Sjayne, CJRT and Mmarsh... good to hear from all of you...and at the same time it sucks that we are all here too!

Texasrose- Thank you..the things that you say effect us all. You have no idea how much strength you give me.

Have a great weekend ladies!

• hydeskate
    hydeskate Member Posts: 45
    edited February 2013
    Options

Has anyone else got dx with an autoimmune disorder after Stage IV Cancer?  After being NED for 10 months I was granted a Chemo Holiday in OCT 2009 (dx in Jan 08 @ 29) by Dec I started having "new" pains doctor's thought cancer, but my scans said no, by June 2010 my ONC had a clue what it was and sent me to Rhemuatology which discover I had Sjogren's Syndrome, basically my immune system is attacking healthy cells. I have bad fatigue, dry mouth, eyes, nose, joints and now it looks like my digestive system is being attacked, its like Chemo side effects but I am not on Chemo.  To make it worse I had no side effects when I was on chemo except for a sinus infection, go figure not Chemo and I get the side effects. lol.

The doctor's think the Sjogren's is what is keeping me NED but some of the treatments for the Sjogren's my ONC doesn't want me taking becasue she thinks it will activate my cancer. Right now I am taking like 7 different pill including pain pills to deal with the different issues, on the 19th I get to have an Endoscope with biopsy to figure out my digestive system.

• j1e1n1a
    edited February 2013
    Options

Hydeskate- sorry i don't have any experience with Sjogren's...... I'm on chemo now and dealing with dry eyes mouth ect but i think these are just Se's. wish i could help.... maybe someone else knows. Wish you well and so glad your Ned...

• brandall
    edited February 2013
    Options

How is everyone doing?  Okay here, just trying to keep my skin in good shape to make it through a full 6 weeks of radiation.  I have 13 days to go, but if my skin looks bad, he'll only do 8 more.  I want the full go of it!  I finally got rid of my crud, still a small lingering cough...but I feel much better!  Just wanted to check in and see what everyone was up to this week!

• nbnotes
    nbnotes Member Posts: 338
    edited February 2013
    Options

brandall -  Glad to hear you are feeling better, and I hope your skin stays well enough to complete all 13 days.   I'm doing well.  Still recovering from the surgery, but things are going pretty well.  I was allowed to start driving today, and it is so nice to not feel trapped at home anymore.  I start arimidex tonight as well.  I'm hoping taking it at night will help me to always remember it.  I normally remember night meds but sometimes forgot morning meds (which reminds me, I forgot them this morning, I better go take them, lol). 

• brandall
    edited February 2013
    Options

Texasrose - I have a question for you!  I saw that you have mets to your esophagus, what were/are your symptoms?  Lately I've been having a lump in throat type feeling and -tmi- excess burping.  I'm getting a little bit worried.  I wasn't sure if you could get breast cancer mets to the esophagus, but then doing a search on here, your signature line came up.  Thanks for the info!  Plus, where have you been?  I've missed you :)

• j1e1n1a
    edited February 2013
    Options

Brandall I think it is from the Rads...I'm dealing with same problem. Ask your RO next time you are there. I have been told that it will get better over time(week or 2) when rads are done. I asked another...and they said not to eat tomato based items and such due to the acid. My last treatment was Tues....and mine is better but still uncomfortable to swallow and I am still dealing with the burping thing...horrible. Hope this helps... Just wanted to give you heads up that Rads caused me same issues.

• brandall
    edited February 2013
    Options

j1e1n1a - THANK YOU!  I thought it might be from the Rads.  I asked the techs and nurses and both of them agreed that it could be the Rads.  Then I asked my RO and he said "no, because I'm not treating your esophagus".  But it started around week 3 and one of the nurses said that when people typically have those troubles it usually comes at the end of week 2 or during week 3.  Crossing my fingers :)  Thanks for chiming in!

• j1e1n1a
    edited February 2013
    Options

Where are they treating you? Mine was spine -T9 and when I asked they said the same thing. Mine started just after 2nd week. Hope you feel better soon.

• brandall
    edited February 2013
    Options

Hmm, they are treating my left chest wall, but you can see that the burn mark goes all the way over my sternum.  There is a burn mark over where I feel that lump.  I hope it is the Rads!

• violinfingers
    violinfingers Member Posts: 10
    edited February 2013
    Options

Hi all, I'm 37, diagnosed with stage 4 at 35, current mets to lungs and liver. Originally dx at age 33. No kids, we were trying when I got dx. Kasi, thanks for starting this thread! I also like connecting to people who are close to my age. I've tried YSC before they moved to FB, but like you never had much luck with their forums. And I live in a rural area, so there is no YSC close to me. Glad to meet all of you and good luck!

• nbnotes
    edited February 2013
    Options

violinfingers - Good to meet you, but sorry that it had to be here to do that!  

• violinfingers
    violinfingers Member Posts: 10
    edited February 2013
    Options

Thanks nbnotes!

• brandall
    edited February 2013
    Options

Hi Violinfingers!  Nice to meet you, but sorry you have to be here! I live in Colorado now, but I'm originally from Kent, OH and I went to school in your neck of the woods - The College of Wooster :)

• texasrose361
    edited February 2013
    Options

Sorry for the late reply- i have some family issues going on (sick child)

Brandall- My symptoms were none. No pian, or odd feeling at all it was found at a regular scan in between treatments. Although when i started chemo (Gemzar) after finding it- i got really bad burning in my throat sorta like acid reflux, i figure it was thechemo attacking the cancer. More than likely the RADS! but when you see your dr next mention it.

• j1e1n1a
    edited February 2013
    Options

Brandall sounds like they are treating you in area closer than mine...I am not a Dr... but my nurses did tell me it was possible SE in my situation. I bet yours is Rads too...I didn't have any burning...sorry to here that. hope you are doing well. Be thinking of you.

Nbnotes...glad you are feeling better....I hate feeling trapped w/out my car...hope you are doing well now that you've been released..lol.

Violinfingers welcome..and great to meet you...sorry has to be here.. ;-)

Texasrose- sorry to here about your little one. mine son was feeling yucky last week too....

Have a great week ladies. Thinking of you all.

• Kjones13
    Kjones13 Member Posts: 662
    edited February 2013
    Options

I am so excited! Last chemo tomorrow! Of course i will continue the herceptin and pertuzumab...but no more neupogen shots! No more l-glutamine! Scans on the 27th and meet with the dr on the 1st! Just excited to see if the regression from midway scans is still going on...ready to start a different treatment...I think...a little scary, but I will do anything for myself and my family!

• brandall
    edited February 2013
    Options

Kjones - YAY!!!  I hated the neupogen shots, so I fully understand how excited you are to get rid of those :)

Texasrose - I'm sorry your little one is sick :(

nbnotes - How are you feeling?  Almost back to normal, or still sore?

J1e1n1a - My skin is just really red!  It's starting to get some freckle like sores on it too - yuck!  I've had 21 out of 30 treatments, so I'm almost done woohoo!!

• nbnotes
    edited February 2013
    Options

Kjones - Congrats on last chemo!  That is such a great feeling.

Brandall - I'm feeling pretty good.  I actually was released to teach my on campus Mon, Wed, Fri class, and that went fine today.  I've taken a little more tylenol/ibuprofen, but I was trying to make sure that I didn't let it get ahead of me.  I would say I'm almost back to normal just still not supposed to bend or lift too much.   Hope you figure out what is going on with your esophagus soon. 

• texasrose361
    edited February 2013
    Options

Well she had some teeth out then bad infection- so bad couldnt breath and had to be intubated, she got the tube out yesterday and ia no longer in the PICU- probably not coming home anytime soon. I am guessing thursday- its been one heck of a week. On top of this my (secondary) insurance cancelled and i am trying to get my meds!

Maricjos- Sometimes we need to do things for our peace of mind, so if having the bmx does that for you- go with it! Stress can contribute to our cancer...

J1e1n1a- Thanks! She'll be feeling better soon :) Love the fact you added a pictures- its so much easier to remember ppl, by thier avatars than their names (at lease for me!)

Welcome Violin! Yeah i am also in a rural area- nothing close for me to get to! 

Nbnotes- i heard pineapple (fresh) helps with healing!

Kjones- Exciting!!! Let us know aboutthe scans when you get results! Hopefully you are NED- my first round type of chemo left me NED for a yr! Remember not all treatments are chemo some are just maintenance drugs like the tamox or others to keep the cancer at bay!

• texasrose361
    edited February 2013
    Options

hydeskate- no i havetn heard of that... hmmm is there anything to combat the disorder (not just the side effects?) Good luck tomorrow with your endoscope- let us know what you find out!

All- sorry for my crazy posts LOL i am going back and forth reading what i missed and making dinner!

• brandall
    edited February 2013
    Options

Texasrose - your poor baby!  I hope she gets better quickly and is able to come home soon!  No wonder you've been absent, that IS a lot going on!! Hugs!!  Hang in there!

nbnotes - I'm glad you are feeling better!  I'm hopeful that surgery doesn't keep me down for too long.  I'm actually scheduled to run a race in Walt Disney World 1.5 months after surgery.  I hope I can do it, even if I have to walk ;)

• hydeskate
    hydeskate Member Posts: 45
    edited February 2013
    Options

@texasrose unfortantely Sjogren's is uncureable we basically treat as it flare's up and it has been going crazy I put one fire out and another one starts.  On the bright side know I have two conditions that qualify me for disability when I decided to quit working...lol...

It is complicated disease on its on then you add an aggressive cancer to the mix all bets are off.  I have to give it too my doctor's they have been working there ass off trying to find the right combo of drugs and actually listen to my issues and not just write it off as parnoid or crazy.  I would just like a repreive for a month or two.