Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Facial Moisturizing Suggestions?

Options

Comments

• FLwarrior
    FLwarrior Member Posts: 614
    Options

I use the Cetaphil moisturising lotion on my body and face.  Recommended by my dermatologist.  I like it for a body lotion.  I wish that it didn't leave my face so shiny for day time use.  I am looking for something else to use on my face, no bad ingredients, no sun screen, that will not be pore clogging or shiny, for day time use. I will continue using the cetaphil at night as I get good results with it.  I am thinking of trying the Yes to Carrots...Divine did you try the yes to carrots?  If so, what did you think? Was there a shine factor?

I tried Coconut Oil...I didn't like the smell or have the patients to wait for it to soak in on my body.  I never liked it on my face, I found it to be to greasy. I tried cooking with it and didn't care for the taste.  I know that so many swear by it, but it just didn't work for me.

I do use and like the Kiss my face (3 ingredient) soap for my face. It seemed odd when I first started using it, but I got used to it and it is fine now.  It is very economical at $3.00 for a bar that lasts a year, if you just use it as face soap.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,019
    Options

FLWarrior, I haven't tried the Yes to Carrots.  It's funny you mention it again, tho, because on another thread, "for Arimidex users", a recent poster mentions that she uses it for dry sky (that some Arimidex users deal with).  Here's what she says:

dry skin - I found the nicest moisturizer line that has no parabens or sulfates in it. It has the wonderfully whimsical name of Yes to Carrots. I found it at Target in its organic section, then saw it at Rite Aid in their's, so it must be everywhere. It feels and smells lovely and hasn't anything in it we shouldn't be using.

I have several types of it around my house and enjoy using it after showering, before bed and on my hands after washing them. It's creamy, but not greasy or sticky, and has made quite a nice difference. The skin on my face especially is much softer and plumper. It looks a lot better than it did, which I am delighted to see.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,019
    Options

I just want to mention that many drugstores will refund your money for products you don't like, that don't meet your expectations.  So if you purchased the Yes to Carrots and found it gave a shine to your face that you didn't care for, you could return it.

I really wish small foil type trial size packets of these different products were available for say, 50 cents, so we could try them to see what we think before taking the bigger plunge of buying something much pricier.  Or at least have tester bottles of lotions and such so we could see, touch, smell the way the product is.

• HLB
    HLB Member Posts: 740
    Options

I've been using the bio oil since someone mentioned it earlier and I really like it. Surprisingly not too greasy for my face. I like what the lady said about Yes to Carrots. I may try some since I need more plumpness in my face! I lost a few pounds bue to healthy eating but it sure doesn't doesn't do the face any good once we get a little older. Sometimes I see it at Ross for less $. Love that store. There's also one called Yes to Tomatoes. Maybe that one is for a different skin type. Never looked closely. I agrre about the samples. It is nice that the drugstores take things back but I'm lazy about running to the store esp for returns! Love reading this thread!

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    Options

I lost weight during radiation and boy does my face look bad. I thought I had no wrinkles or lines. Not true. Maybe I will just have to gain a few pounds. 60 amd skinny looks much worst that 45 and skinny.

• curveball
    curveball Member Posts: 1,583
    Options

@FLwarrior, why no sunscreen? I always thought that guarding against UV is important to prevent skin cancer, even in low-sun climates like the Pacific NW?

• slg76
    slg76 Member Posts: 86
    Options

I have the best facial cream!  It is botanically based, paraben-free, totally safe, and keeps my post cancer skin soft and looking great.  An extra perk is that the company gives 30% of profit to cancer/medical research.  I will say that it has a fragrance but it is the natural plant smell so it may bother you less than the perfumey added fragrances.  This cream is called NeriumAD and can be found at:  www.gerdes.theneriumlook.com.  Good luck!

• HLB
    Options

I don't use sunscreen either. Don't like the smell and don't trust the chemicals. I don't really believe we are supposed to block the sun and I'm suspicious that there's so much cancer because people are blocking vit D. I'm not sure about this but I think the sun cause basal and squamous but they haven't made that connection with melanoma. Someone correct me if that is wrong. I'd rather have basal skin cancer than pancreatic or something like that.

• LtotheK
    LtotheK Member Posts: 487
    Options

I found that Chicago's hard water was as big a problem as anything.  I was overseas with very soft water, and didn't even need to use moisturizer!  Something to consider.

I have been back and forth on this topic.  I find that 99% of the "natural" things out there are full of lavendar and a bunch of stuff we shouldn't be using.  I use jojoba oil for the most part, and in winter, Aveeno on face and body. Coconut oil is lovely, but it is hard to stabilize and travel with.  Lousy for face, it breaks me out. Also, when I'm really dry, I need more than oil, I need the barrier ingredients.

I know the jury is out on whether these additives are problematic, but my feeling is, if I can make the change, why on earth would I take the risk.

• slg76
    Options

I agree that after cancer it is so hard to trust what you put in and on your body.  I have had such good luck with NeriumAD skin cream that I would recommend giving it a try.  I have a bunch of toxicology data on the cream and also the detailed ingredient list.  PM me if you want any of that.  It's a little pricier than some of the other suggestions here but it does come with a 30 day money back garauntee so nothing to lose!  gerdes.nerium.com   Let me know what you think if you try it.  

• allnatural
    allnatural Member Posts: 1
    Options

There is a line from BirgitCare.com that is all natural, great teas too.  Then have tried Moon Organics from a survivor and RN.

• HLB
    Options

I have been using the Cerave night formula since someone posted about it a few weeks ago. The reviews were really good and I found it at Kmart for buy 1 get one half off. I'm really pleased with it! Its a lotion, not a cream but surprising gives me enough moisture. The pump is really nice as you can get the right amount with no waste, which for me is 3 pumps but probably 2 for some people. It was $13 for a 3 oz bottle, not too bad. Some products are so tiny they wouldn't last 2 weeks with the dryness. Hate when things are pricey for only a tiny bit. Just wanted to give an update after trying it!

• slg76
    Options

I read a little blurb the other day about castile soap and how it is less toxic for you than regular soap.  Anybody know about this?  

• HLB
    Options

Yes, it has better ingerdients and you can make all kinds of your own stuff with it like shampoo and cleaning products. I haven't tried it yet though. If you do a search there's all kinds of recipes out there.

• slg76
    Options

I'm thinking of switching over to castile soap as part of my effort to get rid of toxins in my household.  I'm making my own cleaners now and I saw a homemade laundry detergent reciipe that called for castile saop.  I then realized that you can use it for body soap, hand soap, shampoo, sounds like just about anything.  

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864
    Options

I can only use Kirk's Castille (bar soap). the lather is fantastic! I get it fragrance free from Whole Foods, though I just noticed my grocery store is starting to carry it. Yay!!

I asked about Bio Oil last time I was at Whole Foods. They looked it up on their computer and said it has an ingredient they will not sell in their store. So if you are going ALL natural you might want to find an alternative...or at least check that one a bit more.

Thanks for all of these wonderful tips! I am so dry!!!

• Dawn7
    Dawn7 Member Posts: 46
    Options

I used to use Cerave lotions, unfortunately they have parabens( preseratives). I now use Yes to..., jason or GUD, a division of bury's bees.

• LuvRVing
    LuvRVing Member Posts: 2,409
    Options

I have used Moisturel Creme for 25 years.  And I use Equate cloths for sensitive skin to cleanse my  face. 

• BUNKIE10
    Options

I am still searching for a scent free body soap I can use you know where that won't make me itch. I use Cetiphil but am not sure if I like it for everything. I may try the castille bar soap. I am going to make that hour long trek to Whole Foods this week.

• HLB
    Options

Have you tried aveeno for down there? Dr recommended it when I was irritated and it worked great.

• HLB
    Options

Also my sister uses dove because everything else makes her irritated. I don't know about the ingredients though.

• ronniekay
    ronniekay Member Posts: 657
    Options

Does anyone know about Dr Wiel from Origins?  I've been using Bobbi Brown and besides it going up in $-alot-I guess it's vague as to what ingredients are in it.  Think I'll visit Sephora for Korres but I'm totally lost as to how/what to try.  My skin is so sensitive now on weekly chemo and I get little white pimples if the cream is too rich...but I'm dry & have terrible dark circles...ugh.  Great info everybody...I'm just a little overwhelmed!

• BUNKIE10
    Options

HLB - No I have not tried aveeno. What type? Body wash or bar soap? I have been using cetiphil and it works on my body but would like a nice body wash that moisturizes. I am so dry all over. Never before. Need to stay away from scented stuff though.

• HLB
    Options

The aveeno bar soap is what I used. It was such a relief from the itching!

• JMotk
    JMotk Member Posts: 1
    Options

I didn't get through the many replies since my response is simple, yes coconut oil!  Natural, not expensive, a little goes a long way and some aren't as coconutty smelling as others (I like Nutiva).

I've used nothing but cococnut oil on my face for the last year and aside from the toxic overload breakout I'm having now from surgery, I've never had clearer, softer skin.

I started using it after getting my first facial, ever.  I realized that all that it consisted of was steam, oil, wiping with a cloth, more steam, oil, more massage and a light wipe (I'm abbreviating).  The esthetician used emu oil but coconut oil has wonderful anti-bacterial and anti-oxidant properties.

It took me a few days to get in the habit, but after a month I felt/saw a difference and was hooked.  Just remember, start out with a tiny amount for moisturizing.  To clean my face I get about a nickel size amount, massage it into my face and wipe clean with a very warm, wet washcloth.  Takes off all makeup including waterproof mascara too.

• lwood
    lwood Member Posts: 5
    Options

the vitamin shoppe has a lot of good products

• jelson
    jelson Member Posts: 622
    Options

JMotk - thanks for the tip on washing with coconut oil. I have been using it strictly as a moisturizer - alternating with Jojoba oil (no particular reason) - but have used a glycerin soap on my face. I am going to try the coconut oil/warm washcloth TONIGHT!

• Cynbest
    Cynbest Member Posts: 4
    Options

There's a great new company called Violets are Blue that has a whole line of all natural and organic skin care. They have products especially designed for women who went through and are going through BC treatment. Most are un scented. I have the lotion which has a touch of lavender and I love it. 

• ronniekay
    ronniekay Member Posts: 657
    Options

I think I'll try the coconut oil.  Does anyone use foundation?  If so, what kind?

• flannelette
    flannelette Member Posts: 398
    Options

Some time when I have a little more $$ I would love to treat myself to some of the creams/soaps commercially made that have been mentioned here. But in the meantime I just use pure shea butter, or a nice combo is extra virgin coconut oil (yes, Nutiva does not smell very coconutty), mixed with sweet cold-pressed almond oil, and kept in the fridge so it's semi solid, but melts with the warmth of your fingers. Pretty basic but easy. Love cooking w coconut oil, too. You can also drop a little into a bath and emerge with a sheer film of it clinging to you all over. I don't have much access to a variety of products living where I do - would be nice!