Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Facial Moisturizing Suggestions?

Options

Comments

• mary625
    mary625 Member Posts: 154
    Options

I am really loving the Burt's Bees Intense Hydration line.  

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    Options

Bump

• sas-schatzi
    Options

bump great suggestions here from many folks :)

• cp418
    cp418 Member Posts: 359
    Options

I've recently tried Aubrey Organics for skin cleanser and moisturizer, shampoo too.  Also really like the Derma-E Antioxidant Natural Sunscreen SPF 30 with clear zinc oxide.  It really does disappear and has a nice non-greasy cover unlike many other products.

• Scottiee1
    Scottiee1 Member Posts: 1,790
    Options

In my anal days when I spent 24/7 researching everything, I discovered that tea tree oil and lavender are both estrogen producing!!!!!...many products contain both so I'm very careful to read the ingredient lists now.  My favourite line is juice Beauty organic products and coconut oil/butter......love Dr. Hauschka  but extremely expensive.

• abigail48
    abigail48 Member Posts: 337
    Options

why is nearly everything estrogenic??       I'just learned that dr hauschka's rosemary leg & arm toner, which will zap a bee sting or mosquito bite in a second, will also work with the extreme discomfort that I have.  a storm coming in last night & it was dreadful.  in desperation I wet a q tip with the toner & applied it around my trouble, took off the calamine of course but in a while the inflamation lessened a lot.  expensive, yes, but lasts for years, 1 bottle does.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,019
    Options

It's hard for me to justify spending too much money on facial moisturizers, but if you can budget for it, that's wonderful. I'm happy that stores like Walmart and drugstores like Walgreens sell products that are paraben free and have good rating on the skindeep website and still reasonably priced.  

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump

• dltnhm
    dltnhm Member Posts: 420
    Options

Sas-

Thanks so much for bumping this! It's just what I needed. Prior to chemo, during chemo, and even the next 18 months or so ... my skin was just fine. But I'm really struggling with it lately. I think the cumulative effects of reduced estrogen and taking Tamoxifen have done a number on my epidermis. I know the Winter has been especially brutal and I had to take some time out of regular walking and running due to some foot and then back issues. I know I was not as diligent with hydration as I am when I'm exercising. My facial skin is just not "me" any longer. And I so want it back. So I'm reading through the thread, checking other threads, and looking for advice.

Thanks for starting this Divine!

Diana

• ChewySpree
    ChewySpree Member Posts: 4
    Options

My skin has been extremely dry ever since my oophorectomy, and I have found the best moisturizer is simply almond oil. I have also used olive oil and avocado oil, but I like almond oil the best. I put it on morning and night, and it works great ffor me! Plus, no worries about chemicals or fragrance, and a bottle lasts forever so you can't beat the price.

• new2bc
    new2bc Member Posts: 252
    Options

I have been using sweet almond oil also. I only put it at night and sleep. I don't use it at daytime since it is very oily.

• bcbarbie10
    bcbarbie10 Member Posts: 148
    Options
    Bump!
    Any experiences with Argan oil? I just had oophorectomy and my skin feels like sandpaper no matter what.
  • divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,019
    Options

I tried Argon oil and liked it. It isn't greasy, and is a natural product so no harmful ingredients. It's a little pricey, tho. Mine came in a medicine dropper bottle, I applied it mostly to my cuticles. Once in awhile, I applied it to my face and really loved it as a moisturizer, it just soaks in.

However, I have rough, thick, dry, cracked cuticles, always snagging on things and uncomfortable. During winter it's worse. The argon oil didn't help in the winter. A few weeks ago, I purchased Aveeno Eczema Therapy lotion. Now, I never would think I have eczema, but I like Aveeno products, they usually score low on skindeep website, fragrance free and very affordable, and I thought, what the heck. I had a round,raw spot on the inside of both my thumb and forefinger that wouldn't heal for three months, due to my continued picking at it because it was always rough. Within a week after using the Aveeno several times daily, these spots have healed. I had tried everything to clear it up, neosporin, hydrocortisone, vaseline, argon oil, bandaids, wearing cotton gloves. With the Aveeno, my cuticles don't seem as thick and my fingers feel soothed and calm. The active ingredient is colloidal oatmeal, which I believe means finely ground. Time will tell how this lotion works in the winter, but even if it only helps in warmer months, I'm happy to have found it..

• bcbarbie10
    bcbarbie10 Member Posts: 148
    Options
    Thinking of using the argan oil for my face and see how it goes.
  • dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771
    Options

Essential oils are great. Coconut, olive, etc.

• Jenwith4kids
    Jenwith4kids Member Posts: 216
    Options

Please check out the Ava Anderson Non-Toxic product line. 100% free of harmful chemicals. Shampoo, lotions, makeup, soap, plus household products such as dish soap and laundry detergent. Only available onine and/or through a consultant. The company has been around since 2009, it has a great mission and plans to lobby for chemical policy change.

• kittysister
    kittysister Member Posts: 88
    Options

I'm still using coconut oil, in the jar. I probably couldn't have gone with this when I was younger, because of oily skin and breakouts. But now, it's great. Melts the minute I put it on the skin almost. Sometimes I'll just blot with a tissue if I used too much. I tossed everything else I'd been using. In the winter, I might go with one of the other oils mentioned, since they're thicker and the furnace really dries my skin out.

Edited for typo-

• florida2015
    florida2015 Member Posts: 46
    Options

where do u buy it

• Jenwith4kids
    Options

florida2015 - are you asking about where to buy coconut oil or where to by Ava Anderson Non Toxic?

• labelle
    labelle Member Posts: 134
    Options

I use mostly a coconut/almond oil/scented with essential oils blend I make myself for a body lotion/moisturizer but I buy Mee brand day cream (available on Amazon) for use as a facial moisturizer. All natural and safe ingredients. It is a great facial moisturizer (not to greasy or heavy) but when I first started using it, I didn't care much for the smell. I guess I've gotten used to it because it doesn't bother me anymore.

• leggo
    leggo Member Posts: 379
    Options

Labelle, I got kind of a chuckle out of your post and stink. I use shea butter and rose hip seed oil in my facial concoction, and man, the stink. Ew. Thankfully, it dissipates quickly.

• Jenwith4kids
    Options

Mee Day Cream contains Phenoxyethanol - an endocrine disruptor. If you are looking to be 100% harmful chemical free, I'd reconsider that product.

Here's what I know about Phenoxyethanol:

•A preservative used as an alternative to parabens;also used as a stabilizer in "fragrance"

•According to Journal of Industrial Hygiene and Toxicology, phenoxyethanol affected brain and nervous system in animals atmoderate doses. The Journal of the American College of Toxicology (1990) reported that phenoxyethanol also acts as an endocrine disruptor causing bladder damage in humans; acute pulmonary edema in animals.

Jen

• labelle
    labelle Member Posts: 134
    Options

Well crap! Just when I think I've found something I don't have to mix up from scratch!

• Jenwith4kids
    Options

labelle - have you looked into Ava Anderson Non-Toxic?

• lifelover
    lifelover Member Posts: 263
    Options

I use Kiehl's when I can afford it but mostly Ren products because they aren't so pricey. Also Body Shop vitamin E products (maybe only in the UK). And Weleda Skin Food (very rich and only for very dry skin).

• Longtermsurvivor
    Longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 738
    Options

Hello dear Divine Mrs. M.,

Am looking around the bc.org neighborhoods for fun places to meet others with similar interests and found you here too. :)

I've used only Flower Essence Society Self-Heal Creme on my face for many years. My skin still glows.

http://www.fesflowers.com/product-info/self-heal-cream/

Warmest healing wishes, Stephanie

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    Options

I've just found a new one I like a lot -- Andalou Perfecting Cream. It's for dry and very dry skin. I've only been using it a few days, but I like it so much, I just ordered their eye serum. Deanna

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,780
    Options

somewhere on this thread I think I mentioned rose hip seed oil. I've tried several brands. A few had very strong smells (not pleasant as rose hips are not the sweet scented part of the rose). My current favorite brand is Trilogy. I had oily skin all my life and now just have average aging skin, so rose hip oil is perfect. Nottoo oily, absorbs quickly.

• Jenwith4kids
    Options

Ava Anderson Non-Toxic has a great eye cream made with rose hip oil. I use it on my whole face, not just my eyes!

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,256
    Options

SkinCeuticals is pricey, but the whole line is paraben-free. Less expensive is Physicians' Formula. There's always plain ol' coconut oil--pure as it gets. I use sunscreen (SkinMedica SPF 50) or Bare Minerals liquid foundation (very light, more of a CC cream, SPF 30) during the day, and Andalou at night. I have combination skin--oily T-zone, dry elsewhere, sebo-psoriasis that occasionally flares up in patches. All I can do for the latter is keep it clean and moisturized--the most effective treatments (biologics like Elidel or Humira, or UV light therapy) can be carcinogenic. I expect that after awhile on letrozole my oily areas will dry up and my dry areas will get drier.