Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2013 Sister Warriors

Comments

• Cuetang
    Cuetang Member Posts: 173
    edited March 2013

Yay Littlelulu for the great news! Sending happy healing thoughts your way! :)

• Denise51
    Denise51 Member Posts: 23
    edited March 2013

Great news Nancy! So happy for you.

I also had to deal with jumping pets - 3 large dogs!  After a few times of telling them no, they seemed to get it. 

Denise51

• ReneeinOH
    ReneeinOH Member Posts: 232
    edited March 2013

Yea Nancy!

• PositiveThnking
    PositiveThnking Member Posts: 37
    edited March 2013

So glad it went well Nancy!  healing thoughts to everyone this week!  For me, no news is good news!  All is well this week and feeling good.  Found out their is a BC group at my office.  And amazingly two of my direct co-workers have BC and are going through chemo!  We are having lunch next week.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited March 2013

Hi y'all

Nancy - Yeah, Happy Dancing clear nodes...now for no flying cats&dogs! Sending healing thoughts your way:)

Cuetang - Ugh :( the waiting ...but glad you have the RO consult schedule and time to prepare your list of questions. I'm thankful for the extra 4 weeks I had to think things over and prepare...I made my list and made the rest of the time a no c zone just fun...it sure helped with the wait. Now is healing time...pamper yourself and LOL!

Positive thinking - How cool to find a support system at work...:)))

Sending healing calming thoughts and laughter your way (((hugs)))

Cindy

• TMM60
    TMM60 Member Posts: 121
    edited March 2013

Fabulous news, Nancy. Speedy healing vibes being sent your way!

• BeHereNow
    BeHereNow Member Posts: 30
    edited March 2013

So happy to hear your news, Nancy! What a relief for you :)

Take good care and heal fast!

Katie

• ReneeinOH
    edited March 2013

My first TE fill went well yesterday--60 ccs.  No pain, no nothing (such as muscle spasms).  Kinda felt like "That's it?! Give me more" but understand it's best to go slow to avoid pain.  Slept well. Also found out I got an 11 oncotype score, so that does put me in good shape of not needing chemo, but won't find out for sure until I meet w/BS and MO next week.

Hope everyone is doing well.  I've been feeling pretty fatigued lately.  Going to work, doing the minimum around the house/family duties (e.g., kids' activities) has been about all I can handle.  I'm doing a three day detox cleanse just to reboot my system.  Hoping to start walking--been waiting for the weather to get nicer.  At least it's supposed to be sunny and not so cold today.

• TMM60
    TMM60 Member Posts: 121
    edited March 2013

Hooray on the low Oncotype, Renee! Great news!

• Cuetang
    edited March 2013

Great to hear about the low Oncotype score Renee, will be interesting to see what the oncologist suggests to you. Listen to your body and rest when it tells you to....especially since you've been tackling work and kid stuff! :)

• rmlulu
    edited March 2013

Yippee Renee! An 11& 60 ccs looking good:)) Happy Dance!

• new2bc
    new2bc Member Posts: 254
    edited March 2013

Renee,

Congradulations! Great news! Do you think you won't do radiation because you had a mastectomy? Take care.

• PositiveThnking
    PositiveThnking Member Posts: 37
    edited March 2013

Great news Renee!   Have to share my acupuncture with the sisters.   I have a wonderful chiropractor/acupuncturist that I saw for my back last year.  I went to him this week to start working on getting full range back in my arm from my lumpectomy and node removal.  I have full range of motion in 2 sessions.    Also I'm seeing him once a week for acupuncture to help with energy levels.  This Thursday is chemo and I'll see him Friday before my neulasta shot.  It will be interesting to see if the acupuncture works to combat the fatigue is supposed to be cumulative.  Right now, I feel like a million bucks that I can move my arm everywhich way without any pulls, tugs, or stiffness!   So if you're open to it and think it might help I would recommend it...it definitely made a difference for me.  Still doing the stretching exercises, too.

• bhlri
    bhlri Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2013

Positive thinking : great to know acupuncture gave you relief. I was thinking of it as my integrated onco suggested it in case my PT doesn't give me relief.

I just met my PT and haven't yet started the actual sessions yet. But he gave my set of 7 exercises to do thrice a day. As I went back to work I am doing it twice a day and I have got almost full ROM. The tugging is improved. It should be written in the guidelines that after node removal everyone needs to get PT. My PT said anyone who has 1 or 20 nodes removed is at risk of getting lymphedema.

• Cuetang
    edited March 2013

bhlri-- did your PT mention how many sessions to do with them?  I'm debating on whether or not to start with a PT.  I met with one before surgery to go over exercises and lympedema risk and warning signs, but no one recommended going back to the PT after surgery unless I had significant issues. 

• bhlri
    bhlri Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2013

Cue tang: I have been scheduled for 8 classes for a month. He said if I need more then we could reevaluate.

• Cuetang
    edited March 2013

Fellow sister warriors, happy Easter!

Question for you all-- since your diagnosis with BC, have you changed any of your eating habits?

• rmlulu
    edited March 2013

Happy Easter Cuetang!

Since dx and lx and reading...

Chocolate Easter Bunny and Peeps are safe...hip hop!

One dr suggested going vegan...no dairy...purchased books on anti estrogen diet Mediterranean diet etc... Eating organic only fish&chicken&veggies&fruit&greek yogurt no sugar:( not that big a change but have forgone cheese.

Soon I meet with nutritionist to discuss and a natural oncologist who works with my MO for integrated cancer care...and going back to gym 3-4x a week.

Trying to cover all the odds...fight on!

• Cuetang
    edited March 2013

Thanks RMlulu!  I agree with you that the chocolate easter bunny and peeps are safe.  Tongue Out.  I was such a carnivore before, so I've also been trying to cut down on processed foods and adding more veggies and fruit intake into my system and it's quite the shock to the system!  Very torn on the dairy and soy debates as well. 

• new2bc
    new2bc Member Posts: 254
    edited March 2013

RMlulu,

what are the name of the books you read?

I am meeting with the oncologist again tomorrow to get a prescription for Tamoxifen. so far nobody has suggested I see a physical therapist or naturalist. I asked my breast surgeon's nurse to refer me to the physical therapist but she said I should be fine if I keep doing arm exercises. Tomorrow is my last day for radiation. Right now, I feel like there are 2 ropes pulling under my armpits. I will ask the oncologist to refer me to a physical therapist tomorrow.

• ReneeinOH
    edited March 2013

Yes and no.  I"m just getting out of my post-surgery healing, which included chicken meals made in every which way...I just did a cleanse to bring a balance back.  I won't completely cut out chocolate, or alcohol, or meat, but I am keeping in moderation, and doing things like eating organic meat when possible.  Funny, mostly things I did before I found out about cancer (well, I didn't worry about having a glass of wine a night back then).  I eat organic salads for lunch most days, have been doing that for years. Still dealing with initial treatment, so haven't found the time to talk to turn attention re: nutrition w/the drs. yet.

• Cuetang
    edited April 2013

It feels like I'm watching all the puzzle pieces of my treatment plan float around me, but just can't grab them to put my puzzle together yet.  I admit, I ate like a teenager before, so tackling the diet seems to be one of the things to do while I twiddle my thumbs around before I see the doctors.  As usual, I'm relying on the wisdom and experiences of my fellow BC sisters to see what folks are doing Laughing

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 942
    edited April 2013

Cuetang~~I so remember all the Waiting & Wondering. It was absolutely the toughest part of this whole battle. Worse than recuperating from mastectomy, chemo, SEs, baldness, or the blood clot I developed in my leg along the way.

Your discription of puzzle pieces floating around you makes perfect sense.

This part will soon be over. You'll be more educated, and stronger than you ever thought you could be.

Blessings

Paula

• ReneeinOH
    edited April 2013

Paula, I hope you're doing well.  I read a post of yours on another thread, and seems like treatment has been putting you through the ringer these days.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 942
    edited April 2013

Renee~~Thank you. I'm actually doing much better on Taxol. It's a piece of cake compared to AC, but I'm still taking injections twice a day for a blood clot I developed right after my final AC. I could use more energy, but otherwise I'm doing much better. I just need my WBC to rebound so I can keep on schedule. I get my 6th of 12 on Friday.

Blessings

Paula

• julieho
    julieho Member Posts: 164
    edited April 2013

Hi,

I was diagnosed with IDC, stage 1, grade 3, with no lymph node involvement, ER/PR - and HER2 + (second opinion showed me HER2 -) last June.  I had a BMX, bi-lateral reconstruction and then unfortunately a three week post op infection in my left reconstructed breast (this was the breast with the cancer) so had to have both breast expanders removed and only the right was replaced due to the infection on the left side.  Then started chemo treatments with herceptin.  Finished chemo in early January and had my left breast reconstruced with breast expander again at the end of January.  I am now waiting for hopefully my last surgery to have the expanders swapped out for implants mid-May.  I have a strong history of cancers, especially breast on my maternal side.  I tested negative for Brac 1 and 2 gene - had this done prior to being diagnosed last June.  I want to do some more genetic screening but am feeling good now.

Chemo for me was quite rough and I have had some unpleasant side effects with the herceptin.  Couldn't tell during chemo but now that I am only having herceptin every three weeks I get bone/joint pain afterwards.  But, I will be finished in September.

I so appreciate having these discussion boards - it really helps me, especially post-chemo treatments to feel connected to other women who are experiencing this.  

Thanks everyone for sharing.

Julie

• myboby123
    myboby123 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2013

I received my diagnosis today.

Ellie

• julieho
    julieho Member Posts: 164
    edited April 2013

How are you doing Ellie?  

Julie

• ReneeinOH
    edited April 2013

Hi Julie.  You've certainly been through a lot, and am glad that you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel with your reconstruction. I'm another person who tested negative for the BRCAs, but have strong family cancer history.  I guess at some point trying to find an answer to why we ended up with this in the first place would be nice, but given that treatments are figured out with the BRCA tests, seems like we've taken this as far as we can go this first round, need to monitor for cancer coming back, and pray that it never does.

Ellie--sorry that you are now part of our club.  You must be in shock.  I hope you find comfort and information from us.

• rmlulu
    edited April 2013

Welcome to new Warriors! Not where you had planned to be in 2013, but this is a safe place full of encouragement, laughter and tears.

Ellie- sorry that you must join us...a hard thing to hear...you have cancer:(. There is so much hope here :). Ask, glean, vent...we are here for each other!

Julie- wow, what a journey...glad you are healing and implants coming in May...yippee!

Cuetang- somedays I feel like the Lego box is laughing at me...I see the picture I know what I want to build, but I think there's been a packaging error...this is not how its suppose to go together...doesn't look like my picture...waiting the scourge of BC.

For me the only thing that helps is focusing on today! I'm grateful for......today! LOL (((hugs)))

Cindy