Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2013 Sister Warriors

Comments

• ReneeinOH
    ReneeinOH Member Posts: 232
    edited April 2013

Yes Violet, you are most welcome here.  Are you dealing with any other treatments right now?

Laura, glad you found this group!  It's really scary, I know.  Over time, and with a lot of reading and talking with others on this site, it gets better.  I promise.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 942
    edited April 2013

Violet ~~Nov. 13th was my 62 birthday.

Paula

• Maakmezorgen
    Maakmezorgen Member Posts: 20
    edited April 2013

I received some more good news! I am not a carrier of the BCRA gene!! So happy! Now I will have a lumpectomy, radiation and possibly chemo. Can't wait for the operation as the rest of the treatment plan will be based on that. Just so done with the waiting, I now really want to know when I will be getting what and to be able to plan things again....

Nyama = you were saying you had your operation and you will have radiation after a trip. How much time will there be between the operation and radiation? I have a big trip planned for this summer (5 weeks) and really don't want to miss out on that (for numerous reasons). I hope I will have my op soon so I can finish radiation before I go, but this might not work out. Now I am wondering how much time there could be between the two.... I will obviously discuss this with my doc but am curious...

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited April 2013

Maakmezorgen - glad you are not a carrier:). Good news!

everyone is diiderent so check with your BC team, but my schedule was

1/23 lx, 3/14 rads...a break to heal and complete post op MRI ...had 33 rad protocol

Note some have rads sooner and short protocol ...ask.

Hope this helps.

Sending good thoughts for your lx rave warrior!

Cindy

• nyama
    nyama Member Posts: 38
    edited April 2013

Maakmezorgen, my rads will begin on about my 8th week post-op (provided my oncotype score doesn't indicate I need chemo first).   I think that might be kind of pushing it, time-wise, but everyone seems to think that'll be OK.  I'll only be out of town for a week, and I wish it was for something fun, but it's work...alas.  They didn't want to start me on rads in week 6 and then have me take a 1 week break for week 7, so better to start a wee bit late and have it be continuous.  Hope it works out for you.

• violet_1
    violet_1 Member Posts: 335
    edited April 2013

Renee:

I'm waiting for my exchange surgery...prob. in 1 month...;) I didn't need chemo or rads (soooo didn't wants rads). I'm seeing another breast oncologist to crunch the #'s about possible Tamoxifen (perhaps not much help for me cuz of low grade/stage IDC/no lymph node involvement) vs. the side effects of T.)... in a few weeks to see what to do about all of my OB/GYN issues...heavy periods, cuz they had take me of BC pill, fibroids, ovary suppression/hysterectomy, etc....sigh...

Right now I'm just hanging out w/ my darn TE's...which are ok now that I'm not getting any more fills, but the L foob has VERY skin thin at the BMX incision line...like it might split at any moment....OY!

• rmlulu
    edited April 2013

Hi y'all Sister Warriors!

Today, jumped off the table and did my Happy Dance! My girl took 33 zaps for the team and we are celebrating:)))

Clicking my heels! Yippee... Then there's Wednesday with the MO and the RX...what a journey!

Have a great week warriors!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• Cuetang
    Cuetang Member Posts: 173
    edited April 2013

Congrats Cindy for completing your tour at the rads bar! Are you up for tamoxifen next?

• ReneeinOH
    edited April 2013

Yea Cindy!

• ReneeinOH
    edited April 2013

I'm surprised, Violet, that Tamoxifen is a question mark.  I've got similar stats as you, and Tamoxifen was a given.  And, was put into ovary suppression.  You might want to join this discussion thread as well:  http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/108/topic/773534?page=29#top

• [Deleted User]
    edited April 2013

Violet~~I've been thinking the same as Renee. Tamoxifen like arimidex is given when cancer is hormone receptive. I don't understand why they'd even have to think about their decision. It should be a given.

Blessings

Paula

• nyama
    nyama Member Posts: 38
    edited April 2013

Hooray and congratulations for being done with the rads, Cindy!  

• TMM60
    TMM60 Member Posts: 121
    edited April 2013

Hello warrior sisters, just checking in to say I am now officially done with chemo. I had 4 cycles of taxotere and cytoxan and while not fun by any means, it was certainly tolerable. On to 7 weeks of rads starting May 13.

I wish you all of you short waiting and smooth sailing through your treatment!

• MichelleRN78
    MichelleRN78 Member Posts: 19
    edited April 2013

I just found this thread today.  Dx 2/15/13.  I really had to fight and advocate for myself to get my dx.  Sure am glad I did, found it early.  Start my chemo this week.  Just wanted to say hi.

• rmlulu
    edited April 2013

Thanks everyone for the Happy Dancing!

Thursday is MO and RX...for the next 5-10 yrs...hummm

TMM60 - yippee! HAPPY DANCING for you... Yeah out of chemo land...

Join us in 2013 Spring Rads!

Hydrate, moisturize, walk, eat well, and R&R ....doesn't hurt it's just the daily grind. Find a fun way to countdown:))

Until then congrats and pamper yourself warrior!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• lpc
    lpc Member Posts: 39
    edited May 2013

Hello all

Hate to be here but here I am. Will begin chemo Thursday...feeling anxious and just want to get first one over and done. This control freak is feeling totally out of control!

• violet_1
    violet_1 Member Posts: 335
    edited May 2013

Ladies,

One of the issues about me possibly not taking tamoxifen is that I have 2 aunts that have had uterine cancer Frown...but I will be discussing all of this w/ the 2nd opinion OB/GYN Oncologist May 20th...BUT, I really, really don't want to take it...;)Just being honest...Undecided

I was also BRCA neg/Bart neg....My oncologist breast surgeon said it was up to me...they did present my case to the tumor board, but I need to go back in to talk to Dr. cuz I don't remember the details...%, etc...need more clarification...

Thanks for your concern...I'll report back after I go...

• rmlulu
    edited May 2013

Lpc - welcome...you have already come so far brave warrior! There are many great warriors here standing with you...we will be in your pocket Thursday (((hugs)))

Cindy

• Gully
    Gully Member Posts: 24
    edited May 2013

Hello Everyone,

I have been lurking on this board since my DX in Jan. I am starting my chemo in the morning. Right now I am so jacked up on the steroids that I will probably not sleep tonight! Doing TC X4 anyone not have a port?

• Gully
    edited May 2013

IPC looks like we are starting chemo at the same time. Did you have an Oncotype Dx done. Mine was 19 right on the freaking line between low and intermediate. It was a terrible decision to make. Hope all goes well for you tomorrow. Hughs

• lpc
    edited May 2013

Sitting here waiting for cocktail to be mixed. Arrived at 8 now 1030..

WTH! No oncotype here...nodes involved do chemo the way for me to go.

• [Deleted User]
    edited May 2013

lpc~~Is your chemo dose sense or every 3 weeks? I had AC every third week. I didn't have to have Neulasta, because I always had an extra week to rebound.

I was very fortunate, in that, I NEVER had any nausea. I've never even opened my bottle of nausea pills. I did however, get constipation from AC, so try to keep a stool softener on hand.

To avoid mouth sore mix a quart of water with 1 TBS of baking soda & 1 TBS of salt and rinse your mouth 4 or 5 times a day. Just rinse for 30 seconds or so and spit it out. I never had even one mouth sore. I also found it helpful to take acidophilus every morning to keep from getting thrush.

My biggest complaints with AC were tastebuds going for several days. I actually felt like I burned my tongue on scorched coffee. (Yuck) after AC #2 I started being faint after standing for more than a couple of minutes. I got short of breath just walking from the car to the front door. I had no energy, but Thank God I was never sick because of it.

I cut my long hair into a pixie the day before chemo started, and 3 weeks later I buzzed it the day before ac#2. I have a wig which I wore one time to church. I didn't like it, so I wear hats and scarves. My favorite is a turban made from a t-shirt.

I get #10 of 12 weekly Taxol tomorrow. OMGoodness ! It's sooooo much easier than AC!

I pray you have minimal SE.

Blessings

Paula

• ReneeinOH
    edited May 2013

Happy dance to you TMM60! 

Welcome to all our new sisters!  We're glad you found us, but wish you didn't have to be here.

• lpc
    edited May 2013

Paula

I am dose dense with neulasta I take. Claritin for allergies so hopefully that will help with se's Thanks for the recipe for mouth sores. Perhaps I willl avoid also!

I am waiting to cut my hair until wig arrives and then it will go to locks of love.

There is so much love and support here to get me through this journey. So glad I tried Dr google and found this

• Starynights
    Starynights Member Posts: 64
    edited May 2013

Gully

I will have my last TC on May 10. I do not have a port. Onc and I both decided that for only 4 treatments I would be fine. I dont have the best veins to begin with but these chemo nurses are FABULOUS ! Never had to get stuck more than once. Good luck girly !

• Gully
    edited May 2013

Thanks starrynights that makes me feel better. I did my first round this morning and all went very well. One stick and it was over!

• Lauralind5
    Lauralind5 Member Posts: 158
    edited May 2013

Gully and lpc good luck !

I have my muga scan and pet scan tomorrow. I'm so afraid of the results of the PET scan. Tumor board will review my case next Wednesday. Got put off a week bc the oncologist was out of town etc. from some comments it seems like I'm getting chemo first but will find out for sure wed. I wonder how they base the criteria on what they do first? Surgery vs chemo?

• Lauralind5
    edited May 2013

Question how do you get you dx etc at the bottom of your posts?

• ReneeinOH
    edited May 2013

Laura, I am not an expert, especially in this area, but I think they decide to do chemo first sometimes to shrink the tumor(s); so it has to do with size of tumor(s) found.  How did your PET scan go?  Do you get results right away?

• Lauralind5
    edited May 2013

I had the muga first then the pet scan. It went ok. Just a lot of lying on cold hard beds in cold rooms. Why are they so cold? I didn't get any results but when I got home I had all 4 appt slips for next Wednesday. Feeling a bit overwhelmed now and it's feeling more and more real and scary.