Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2013 Sister Warriors

Comments

• LittleLulu
    LittleLulu Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2013

Well, I did it! Had my mastectomy with immediate implant on 3/25...and I can now admit that both were much more tolerable than I had imagined. My plastic surgeon says we "hit a home run" with the implant (silicone). He is quite pleased. Said he only does this in maybe 10% of his patients. It's the way to go, ladies, if you're taking the implant route! No fills, no pain, no follow-up surgery!

Had my 4 AC treatments, 2 weeks apart. I think they made me depressed, sad and grumpy but I got through them with little to no side effects. I was mostly fatigued. I took claritin (actually the non-brand name equivalent) and had very little discomfort from the bi-weekly neulasta shots. Definitely worth taking them. Also, if you have someone at home that can give you the injection that's often allowable. I had to pay co-pay for the shots but my PA daughter came over to give me the injection and saved us that extra bi-weekly drive for a 2-minute visit.

Just had my LAST (yay!!) of 4 bi-weekly Taxol/Hercetin treatment today. So far side effects again include being tired but not as bad as the AC part. Also my mood definitely improved when the AC treatments were over. Took extra strength tylanol each night before bed for a week after the TH treatments to keep the bone pains at bay. Not too much discomfort and if the pains started I just kept up with the ES tylanol. Also took (and will continue for another month) a Vitamin B6 suppliment to help with neuropathy. The tingling in my fingertips is minimal so I'm guessing that the B6 helps!

Now I have a 30-minute Herceptin infusion next week and then start with Herceptin every 3 weeks for a year.

Back in early March this all seemed insurmountable but here I am, in one piece with my family proud of me! Like everyone on here says, it's rough but it's certainly do-able.

Congrats to all that are nearing the end of treatment and good luck to those just starting! Stay strong, ladies.

• ReneeinOH
    ReneeinOH Member Posts: 232
    edited August 2013

Way to go and congrats on all your progress LittleLulu!

Back from my reconstruction check up--healing OK.  My foob and my boob are clearly two different sizes.  The PS planned to put in a small implant on the boob side, but my skin was too thin.  Will be talking to him in a few weeks about possible next steps.  So not thrilled at the idea of more surgery.  Yuck.

• GwennyMD
    GwennyMD Member Posts: 68
    edited August 2013

Hi Ladies

I have not been here in a long while.  My energy has been zapped from the Taxotere and do not have energy at night after coming home from work so I usually just spend a few moments looking up new topics when I have the time. 

I am sorry to see so many new members of our club.  However, even when we do not comment we still  keep you in our hearts and prayers.   

Good news - I  had my last Taxotere treatment last week. 

Bad news - I now know what acid reflux is.  UGH.

I also had consult with rad dr.  I do not have to have radiation.  It seems that the grade and small size of the tumors as well as the fact that there were only 2 pos nodes  were contributing factors to this decision.  I will start meeting with BS and PS to schedule bilateral mx with tram flaps. 

Good luck to everyone having treatment or surgeries this weekk. 

• Hydavis42
    Hydavis42 Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2013

Hello 2013 sisters I was diagnosed 7/22/13 had L mastectomy with reconstruction 8/7/13 path report was node positive in 5 of 18 tested waiting to see surgeon for follow up and referral to onc for further treatment . Very anxious and fearful. Anyone at this point or been here please help!!!

• Cuetang
    Cuetang Member Posts: 173
    edited August 2013

Yippee LittleLulu!  Keeping kicking BC's ass.

Renee-- glad you're healing okay, boo on the different sized foob!  Hopefully they can take care of it all on the next shot. 

GwennyMD-- good to hear that you're planning for the MX and reconstruction.  I had the DIEP flap in March, so feel free to let me know if you have any specific questions.  The DIEP 2013 thread is full of good information, but can be difficult to follow or catch up with.

Hydavis42 -- sorry that you have to join us!  Glad it looks like that your team moved quickly on surgery.  The pathology report is not the best that you could've hoped for, but there are many many ladies that have kicked BC's rear end with similar diagnosis as yours.  I found the most nervewracking part to be waiting for my pathology report and ultimate treatment plan.  If in doubt, always get a second opinion with a second oncologist to make sure you're comfortable with them and your treatment plan. 

As for me...I had my second surgery in late June, and everything turned out great...except for this fat necrosis from lipo near my armpit.  At this point, I'm so tired of surgery that the fat may be staying for a while!  Tongue Out .  I had lost a lot of weight from being stressed out about having BC at the beginning, and now the pounds are slowly creeping back up (I'm partly blaming Tamoxifen, but will take credit for some poor eating habits..haha).  I have fostered two dogs in the past 2 months and both were adopted fairly quickly.  Maybe I need to take in another so I add in more healthy walks during the day!  Laughing

• JennH8
    JennH8 Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2013

This is my first post in this thread.  Thank you ReneeinOhio for posting the link.  I was diagnosed on June 26 with IDC.  It was my 20th wedding anniversary.  Not the way I wanted to spend it but what can you do.  I'm having a  bilateral mastectomy next week on 08/27.  Doc is very confident he'll be able to go straight to implants.  I'm crossing all my fingers and toes that is the case.  It will sure make the whole process a lot easier emotionally.  I don't have my full staging yet.  At my last visit, my surgeon said she'd put me at a stage II, but I'll find out for sure after surgery when the pathology is run and they can look at my lymph nodes.  I don't know what will happen with any other treatment yet.  Just taking it one step at a time. 

• ReneeinOH
    edited August 2013

Welcome Hydavis and JennH.  There are many of us who have been right where you are, and know exactly how you are feeling, so you are among friends and supporters.  If you can add information to your profile (and allow it to be public), we can know more about your situation and offer information.  (It will appear below your posts.)

Hydavis--As Cuetang said, waiting for the path report can be nervewracking.  Given that you have positive nodes, you may be told chemo will be part of your treatment.  If you haven't read the chemotherapy section of BCO, I would encourage you to do so, so you are more familiar with the process: http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/chemotherapy  If you get that recommendation, there are ladies on this site who can share their experiences, answer your questions, and there are other threads that can also help you prepare, etc.  But, one step at a time--find out what your path report shows and dr. recommendations. 

JennH--You are also in a holding pattern until surgery and getting the path report back.  Hoping you have clear nodes!

Gwenny--great to hear from you, and thanks for checking in!  So glad you have had your last Taxotere treatment and don't need radiation.  Happy dance!

Cuetang--I can so identify with you about having surgery fatigue.  I don't know what I am going to do if my PS suggests more surgery.  Although, if I can still do this during this year, I've already met my insurance max, so financially it would make sense to take care of things sooner than later. 

• schoolcounselor
    schoolcounselor Member Posts: 229
    edited August 2013

Hi everyone,

This is my first post in this forum. I am a 44 year old mother of two girls and on  August 15th I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I have only shared with my family and three of my closest friends. I continually remind myself that it is not a secret, and am on the verge of posting it on FACEbook and being done with it.

Through converations with my breast surgeon and radiologist, I have disided to have a bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction. It has been schduled for September 10th. I meet with a genetic counselor tomorrow, and the plastic surgeon on Monday.

Things are moving quickly and I am very grateful for that. I will be meeting with my boss on Friday to tell him about my diagnosis and that I will be out. What decisions did you all make with regard to who to tell.

I look forward to getting to know all of you.

• Cuetang
    edited August 2013

Hi Schoolcounselor-- it sounds like you're in good hands with your medical team and are moving along on is roller coaster journey. For me, I didn't exactly keep my diagnosis a secret, I started telling the friends and colleagues closest to me about it. After I disappeared for a while from work, other colleagues found out. As for friends, the grapevine took care of telling the news for me. Check back in with us whenever you feel like it; we can all try to tackle whatever questions you may have.

• flutterbug
    flutterbug Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2013

I was diagnosed august 1st. Going in for surgery today! Bilateral mastectomies and total hysterectomy. To say that it has been a whirlwind would be an understatement... but I am determined and ready to get the cancer out and get to work on treatment.

Good luck to you!

Much love Julie

• Cuetang
    edited August 2013

Flutterbug-- we are in your pockets today!

• ndgirl
    ndgirl Member Posts: 950
    edited August 2013

Flutterbut and School counselor, we are all here for you, 2013 has a bunch of us! ... unfortunatley! These boards are great support and a wealth of info.

• ndgirl
    ndgirl Member Posts: 950
    edited August 2013

whoops, meant flutterbug not but! sorry

• schoolcounselor
    edited August 2013

Thanks for the advice Cuetang and ndgirl! I hope everything went well Flutterbug!

• ReneeinOH
    edited August 2013

Two more sister warriors--welcome SchoolCounselor and flutterbug. 

Thinking positive thoughts on your surgery flutterbug!  Fingers crossed for clear nodes!  Let us know how you are doing.

SchoolCounselor--I told lots of people about my dx.  I wanted as many people praying and sending positive energy my way.  And, I work for a small organization, and just wanted to avoid some people knowing but not others.  Felt right to have everyone on the same page. But everyone has different comfort levels.  And people react differently when you tell them.  But you can't control how they react, and right now it's not about them, it's about you.  Time to focus on you and your needs.  Put yourself first.  Do what you need to do to beat this beast.

• JennH8
    edited August 2013

Thank you for the welcome.

Schoolcounselor - After I let my family and close friends know, I posted on Facebook.  It was really hard to do that actually because it made it more real to me, and I broke down for a good cry right after.  I'm glad I did it though.  It has connected me with some amazing ladies who have either already fought and won or are going through the same thing I am now.  Plus, it has brought so much support to me and my family, and I find it helps to get the word out there and to be open about what's going on.  I figure if my story helps someone else, then it's worth it. On another note, I'm 45 and have 2 girls myself.  :)  They have been a tremendous support.  Not sure how old yours are.  My oldest will be 21 next week and the youngest is 15.

FLutterbug - I hope all went well for you!

• flutterbug
    flutterbug Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2013

Thank you! Surgery went well... Just now starting to feel human again. Hoping to be strong enough to go home tomorrow.

Thank you again for the kind words and positive thoughts. I worked as an oncology nurse for 8 years and have helped countless women through this diagnosis but now have such a greater understanding of the journey that is before me. I have found great comfort on this site. It is a true blessing.

• JPH
    JPH Member Posts: 14
    edited August 2013

I am six months out of all test, surgery and treatments.  I just want to vent -- I posted this link to my FB pages this morning -

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/11/pink-ribbon-fatigue/?smid=fb-share&_r=0

How do the rest of you feel about the pink ribbon -- I hated walking out of the Dr office with that damn pink bag and the nurse gave it to me like I had won an award!!

Just having a bad week - coworker diagnosed with Stage 4 pancreatic and liver cancer.

I am working on a short piece on what folks can do to support BC rather than buying pink ribbons - will share that here later!

Thanks

And keep on being strong - it just is what it is!
     Jayne

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited August 2013

Hi y'all

Welcome to our new sister warriors! Wish our numbers were not growing, but together we stand strong.

Flutter bug - yippee surgery went well and now healing time...resting at home :)

JennH - enjoy your weekend soak up the laughter and love of family and friends! We will be in your pockets Tuesday! You got this brave warrior.

School counselor - sounds like you have an awesome BC team. Enjoy the last days of summertime. Sharing is hard, but it is amazing how much love and support is there. People surprise you some step up others stall just be open to receive and ask for help! We are so use to doing for everyone...it's your time to let others luv on u:)

Jayne - I hear you...pink is my favorite color, but now I associate it with c ugh:( everyone giving pink this that all done in luv...pink lollipop pink band aide...your cured...we need more education more awareness cured v NED! Will be looking for your post!

Renee - how's the new girl? Healing quickly and feeling good! Sending no more surgery thoughts and prayers! Do understand getting all done in the same insurance deductible year I'm gonna live with the size difference...looks good in clothes and hubby...well hubby he's happy too!

Cuetang - lucky foster pups riding in the car:) good advice:)

Hydavis - congrats on completing surgery and helping time. Sorry your path report showed lymph node activity...ugh that sneaky c:( trust your BC team with a plan of attack...we will be in your pockets (((squeeze)))

Gwen - yippee T done and no rads...hope your PS recon plan goes well!

LittleLuLu - congrats the finish line in sight:). You did good warrior:)

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• violet_1
    violet_1 Member Posts: 335
    edited August 2013

HI! And welcome to all of the newbies!

JPL: Most of us can understand your frustration with the pink ribbon thing...;) There ARE several organizations, books, websites, & threads on this site that discuss the overuse of the Pink Ribbon Campaign's hyper focus (actual flooding) of BC "AWARENESS" & Early Detection as THE "ANSWER" to curing/wiping out BC.

There IS a minority cry out there trying to turn the tide ...demanding that more $$$ should be spent toward BC Research and trying to find a Cure/cures than endlessly harping on Awareness & early detection/ Mammograms...:)

I never cared for the color pink anyway, except for pale pink/baby pink...;) but ever since my BC diagnosis, I can't help but notice ALL of the Pink Ribbon jazz...EVERYWHERE! And now that I'm better informed about the misguided notions of the

P.R. Campaign in general & the Susan Komen drama, (perhaps, well meaning & helpful in the beginning)...I'm REALLY sick of seeing all of the PINK! PINK! PINK! in-your-face items everywhere I go!

Ahem...Just Sayin'...LOL!

Violet

• JPH
    edited August 2013

Ok here is what I have so far - am I out of line?  Tell please what you all think.

Stop buying the damn pink ribbons and do something that helps!  That pink ribbon might make you feel better, but do something that helps the fighters and survivors feel better!  I have marked my Google calendar to remember forever the anniversary date of my surgery, which happens to be 2 days after my birthday, to make a donation to the Culpeper Hospital Hope Cancer Center!  I was given a tube of expensive, Miaderm Cancer Radiation Treatment, while under going radiation treatments there, that had been donated by a previous patient.  Donate to UVa, MCV, and Johns Hopkins, wherever your friend or love one is being treated.  Donate to help buy a wig, a scarf, a bra and taxi ride to treatment; use that damn pink ribbon money to help.

Lobby for more research to prevent dangerous food additives and unsafe food and beverage containers from being used in the US.  Push for more research on the use of hormones in people and animals.  Make sure all women are getting routine mammograms.  Do something tangible that helps all women and their families.

If the medical world wants to keep the damn pink ribbon as a tool to remind women to get breast exams and mammograms then fine  - but please stop selling them on everything!!  I don’t need a “Scarlet Letter” in my life!

• JPH
    edited August 2013

Violet.

Thanks for the confirming opinion!

I will look for those discussion boards on here!!

Jayne

• JennH8
    edited August 2013

The pink ribbon doesn't bother me.  In fact, I embrace it.  I do understand how you could see it as a scarlet letter, but I look at it as a symbol of awareness and changes that need to be made.  When people see the pink ribbon, they know right off the bat what you're talking about, and it's something everyone recognizes and can follow to bring people together.  If a company or whoever uses the ribbon as a symbol to raise money for breast cancer research, etc., or bring awareness in some way, then I say more power to them! 

• schoolcounselor
    edited August 2013

Hi ladies,

I see the PS tomorrow and it should be an oay meeting, pre op talk. I have spent a lot of time reading the boards, so I think I have a sense of what to expect.

I have another issue though over the last few days a very painful lump has developed in my arm pit, next to the breast with the LCIS. Of course I am thinking that the cancer has spread to my lymph nodes and now I might need chemo. I am going to call my BS in the morning, but I wondered if anyone else developed lumps in their armpit after the diagnosis.

I had an MRI in February and it did not pick up the cancer until my recent Mammo and US. Can cancer spread that quickly? Has anyoone else had a similar experience.

Thanks

• Cuetang
    edited August 2013

Schoolcounselor--is it near your biopsy site? I bruised a bunch after my core biopsy and when the breast surgeon looked, I had a "chubby lymph node". He then biopsied the lymph node and it turned out it was just doing its job by clearing up the bruising.

• Cuetang
    edited August 2013

Jph-- I am more sensitive to the pink and pink ribbon thing than before. While I applaud efforts to raise funds for breast cancer awareness and ultimately a cure, I found myself more sensitive to the pink ribbons because it was reminding me of my own diagnosis and sense of helplessness and fear associated with it. I certainly don't like pink as much as before, and probably will be sensitive again in October, but as long as friends and family don't send me pink ribbon gifts... :)

• schoolcounselor
    edited August 2013

Cuetang, I wish it was...my right breast biopsy was near my cleavage by the chest was..that's were they found the LCIS. The left breast is where they found the DCIS and the IDC. Of course I am thinking that the LCIS was indicative of cancer elsewhere that they did not pick up.

I had an MRI in February that did not pick up any of the cancer, it was my routine mammo and US in July that did, so I am not so sure how quickly cancer grows.....

sigh....tomorrow can't come soon enough......

• Annie54
    Annie54 Member Posts: 39
    edited August 2013

Good luck today SchoolCounselor - hoping for good news to ease your worries!

Annie

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited August 2013

(((SchoolCounselor))) - we are in your pocket! Sending calm confident thoughts and prayers for a good report with true condition of your breast made known!

Hang in there brave warrior!

• Jo6202
    Jo6202 Member Posts: 165
    edited August 2013

School Counselor and Flutterbug,

Felt a connection with both of you right away. I retired from the public school system after 30 years as an administrative assistant and admire the work of our school counselors.

Flutterbug, I so appreciated the kindness of the oncology nurses as two of our sons have been through cancer treatments.

I am thinking of you both during these trying times and wishing you the best.