Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

new and future flat sister, with questions

Options

Comments

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,175
    edited February 2015
    Options

I know 4 pugs at our dog park. Cute, fairly nice, all shed bushels!!!!!

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,831
    edited February 2015
    Options

Pugs are popular,, I hope you find one. YAY for adopting a new dog.

• bobogirl
    bobogirl Member Posts: 2,083
    edited February 2015
    Options

So excited Andrea!!!

Listen: I promised myself the next time I adopt, if it's from a shelter, I am going to let my vet check the dog out before making the adoption official. Not that anyone is trying to hide anything. But it's best to know what you are dealing with, right? XXX

• ldesim
    ldesim Member Posts: 1,193
    edited February 2015
    Options

I love the noises pugs make :)

• glennie19
    edited February 2015
    Options

a good vet check up is good idea. Although by now, I have plenty of practice with dogs with adrenal issues, that I could do that in my sleep.

• AndreaJ50
    AndreaJ50 Member Posts: 704
    edited March 2015
    Options

I am concerned about two things I have read about pugs:

1. They have excessive health issues.

2. They shed a TON!!

Lucky and Diva were non/low shedders.

This is so stressful!!!! Lol.

But I want it to be a good fit. Personality wise the pugs are a good fit with our family. Just not sure about thise two issues.

• spookiesmom
    edited March 2015
    Options

All dogs with the smushed in noses have trouble breathing in hot humid weather. They just don't handle it well, and need to stay inside in a/c. No jogging for them!!!!

All 4 pugs at the park are older, one takes the same heart Med as his dad. They have old dog issues, deaf, blind, but nothing major.

Poodles and the hairless breeds don't shed, but have their own grooming needs.

Besides, what's wrong with dog hair EVERYWHERE??????

My Aussie shed unbelievably. I'd tell him I loved every one of his gazillion hairs, but they looked better on him than:the couch, floor, bed, car, yard.

• ndgirl
    ndgirl Member Posts: 950
    edited March 2015
    Options

Years ago dh and my brother raised and sold pugs so we had one, I have to say not really a fan, they shed more than a ton! Our youngest son was born when we had them and I detested the dog hair all over. They slobber and sneeze a lot also, if you are concerned about shedding that isn't the breed you want. I didn't think a short hair dog could shed so much

• AndreaJ50
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you ladies. Maybe I am a little too anal about the dog hair, I admit it. I dont mind brushing a dog to keep hair down. Better sleep on it.

I just watched Pitbulls and Parolees. Now I want a pit bull, lol. Like I didnt already want one after seeing Ava's photo.

But that isnt an option in our rental. And we dont have a fenced yard(a requirement from most rescues for a bigger dog).

I met a lovely retriever mix Friday at the shelter. But it has heartworm and I am not familiar with that. I wonder how much treatment costs and if Diva could get it from him.

So....my DH found two little dogs for us to go see at a Petco thru PAWS adoption tomorrow. It is about an hour away.

• spookiesmom
    edited March 2015
    Options

the shelter would most likely keep the dog till heart worm is cured. It is a long, tedious, expensive treatment. It can also kill the dog. Recovery is long and slow. Easily prevented with a monthly pill. Transmitted by mosquitoes. Not contagious to other animals or humans, only mosquito bites.

• glennie19
    edited March 2015
    Options

A big yard is not always a requirement with big dogs. I adopted Rocco, my first pit bull while living in a 450 sq ft NYC apt.  I think a lot of it depends on the dog and the dog's energy level. If dog has high energy, the rescue would certainly prefer a yard,, unless you plan on running with the dog a lot.  Pit Bull are wonderful dogs,, but yes,, problems with rentals and insurance.  You saw last night's show?  I find it incredibly sad that they still have Katrina dogs with them.  It's been almost 10 years!  So glad that Billie Jean found a home. Such a sweet face!

Do you have one of those devices, that is like a big roll of tape on a stick?  Very useful for dog hair. Good luck at Petco!!  Hope that works out.

• AndreaJ50
    edited March 2015
    Options

Spookie, it looks like the dog with heartworm got adopted. So happy for him.

Glennie I couldnt stop watching the shows...., untill I realized they were replaying them and I had already seen the episode.

Just got a winter storm advisory saying o stay home and off roads. kids are bummed.

• bobogirl
    edited March 2015
    Options

Andrea, your dog will come to you, I know it! You have a great opportunity, I think. Have you been on the best friends website? I always thought I wanted to adopt from there. XXX

• glennie19
    edited March 2015
    Options

Bobo is right, Andrea,, the right dog will come to you.  I watch those repeats all the time too. Some of them I know by heart!  BTW,, they have had a fund raiser for Earl,, to help with the expenses for his upcoming surgery. They set a goal of $50,000, and I checked this AM and they only needed another $150 !!  That is some outpouring of love.   I'm very happy for him,,, and I hope he will get some use back in his arm after surgery.  I have to say: when we go to NOLA, I would love to go see the rescue.

• glennie19
    edited March 2015
    Options

oh, new dog alert!  Look over on Comfort Dogs.  GmaFoley has a new dog!  I talk to her once in a while on other threads,,,, her little dog died a while back and she has been wanting to get a new dog.  Now she had Dozer!  He is a big happy boy,,, and you should see the look on Gma's face!!  Priceless!!

• jsjherman
    jsjherman Member Posts: 142
    edited March 2015
    Options

Good morning all... I am sorry I have been mia for so long. Life just keeps getting more insane each day and I keep waiting for the overwhelm and stuff to settle down. Both of our mothers have continued to be ill. Sailman's MD has had 6 knee surgeries since Dec 10th on her knee. It keeps getting infected and they go in and clean it out and then play wait and see. I was hoping the last time in January would take care of the infection, but it didn't. They cleaned it out again in February and a few weeks later after she went home, her knee exploded open in her sleep soaking the bed. Turns out the infection was deep rooted and basically popped like a pimple. They went back in on March 5th and removed all of the hardware and as much tissue as they could. They said it was like sewing hamburger back together. She became delusional and was that way for almost two weeks... seeing people and having prolonged conversations with them, petting the raccoon that was in her bed, etc. It was awful. They called all of the family in, including the crazy sister for another surgery on March 16th. They didn't know if she would make it through another surgery and fully expected to need to amputate. The doctor came out halfway through the surgery and said he was going to try one more thing before he took it off. He sliced part of her calf muscle and pulled it up to cover where her knee should be to "give the sutures something to hold onto. The plastic surgeon took a skin graft off her thigh on Saturday March 21 and said there was no sign or smell of infection so that was a good thing! Yesterday, we found out after they moved her to the rehab hospital that it is bleeding again. This has been the pre curser to the infection showing itself. We are crossing our fingers that it is nothing serious. They dx'd her with Serratia marcescens, an infection, that wait for it.... you get in the hospital.

My MD is finally on the road to recovery from having stints put in after a heart attack on the operating table when they fixed her shoulder.

On top of all of this, I have the worst chemo brain and am easily flustered. I have a hard time making decisions when stressed and a hard time recalling words. This new normal sux but I am trying to get it figured out and adjust. I felt guilty for not keeping up with you my sweet sisters and it just seemed like the longer I was gone, the harder it was to come back and try to catch up. I finally decided after M facebook msg'd me that I just needed to put my suspenders on to hold the big girl panties up and let you all know that you weren't forgotten and I thought of you wondering every day how everyone was. I think the depression and overwhelm will eventually get better. The fatigue and chemo brain are here to stay. I love you all and feel almost like the prodigal daughter returning to her family. Here is a smile from me to you....

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,879
    edited March 2015
    Options

Welcome back! Good to see you.

• AndreaJ50
    edited March 2015
    Options

Goodness, it has been a busy time for you. I hope she heals soon and life settles down a bit.

It always amazes me how life doesnt slow down and give us a break when we are dealing with cancer.

Take care,

Andrea

• bobogirl
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi JSJ! **waving** I thoroughly agree with Andrea. I am sure that in the middle of all this you are still making someone a sandwich!

Your smile is so pretty! You look gorgeous! Your fatigue and brain issues will get better, I know it. We may have a 'new normal,' but I know that if you get half a break, and an opportunity to take care of yourself (!!!), you will see some real improvement. Sending you hugs! XXXXOOOO

• Ariom
    Ariom Member Posts: 4,027
    edited March 2015
    Options

Oh jsj, it is so lovely too see you again. Thank you for the smile, I am sending one riight back at you! I think of you all the time and wonder how you and Saiilman are getting on. I agree with Bobo, it will get better. You've been through so much and then all this worry about the Mothers, no wonder you are flustered and have trouble finding words!

It doesn't matter how long you have been away, as soon as you return here, it's like you never left!

Welcome back! M x

• Zillsnot4me
    Zillsnot4me Member Posts: 2,122
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi JSJ! Cute hair! Are you on tamoxifen? I blame everything on that. And I bet you are still working and spoiling your men and running to the hospital to see the mamas. Shoowee. I would be tired too. Chemo brain is real. It does get better. Glad you're back!

• jsjherman
    jsjherman Member Posts: 142
    edited March 2015
    Options

Zills no tamoxifen. Nothing unless it comes back. And yes, I am working full time and doing my best to take care of DS and Sailman and spoil them :D. Hoping the moms both get better soon! Much love,

• OvercomingOne
    OvercomingOne Member Posts: 160
    edited March 2015
    Options

hey y'all!!!!

Been gone for awhile. :-(. But back now :-). Been busy but don't know with what. Love seeing y'all still here! Whew!! Wouldn't really want to lose you! All is well my way. Working and sleeping mostly. This Arimidex is something else!!!!!! But I am alive am I am glad!!

More later

O2

• OvercomingOne
    OvercomingOne Member Posts: 160
    edited March 2015
    Options

jsj

You look beautiful there girl!!! I was feeling the same as you. The fatigue is a huge problem. Sleeping all the time:-(. But I just crawl into bed and really snooze........all the time!

Hoping all is well with everyone. I did manage to clean my house today and am now at the laundry mat washing floor rugs.

Not much to share with a life in the bed........

More later

O2

• ldesim
    ldesim Member Posts: 1,193
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi O2!! So GOOD to see you :) I lot of women complain about the Arimidex... and as I say, it's better to sleep than to have insomnia, which I know a lot of women suffer from.. you'll get your energy back a bit at a time.

Hey Glennie... saw this and figured you'd enjoy it.

http://www.reshareworthy.com/stray-pit-bull-found-...

• Ariom
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey 02, great to see you! Sorry about the Arimadex. I hope your body gets used to it and you feel better.

Quiet here today, I hope everyone is having a lovely Saturday, it's a chilly 7c here this morning but sunny, so I hope it warms up later.

jsj, I didn't realize you were back at work full time you amaze me! Hugs to you and the boys!

Not much to report here, I spent nearly 4 hours on the phone, with a really long time GF last night, didn't get to bed till after midnight, but it was so good to catch up. We did everything together and even went to the US together in the early 70's, oh my gosh, what we got up to! She was having a wine or 3, while we were talking and reminiscing, she was quite sloshed and slurring by the end! We just kept saying we can't believe, we're in our 60'sLOL

Colin is racing his model boat today, so I have the place to myself. I cleaned out his 1/16th, of the wardrobe yesterday, so more room for me...bahahaha I have a big bag of stuff, for the Opp shop.

Getting ready for Bec coming on Thursday for Easter, it is just for a few days, she goes back on Monday, but I can't wait!

• Ariom
    edited March 2015
    Options

Figs are almost gone, but this guy is determined to eat all of this one!

• Ariom
    edited March 2015
    Options

How cute is this! The kids going out for a sailing lesson, this afternoon!

• dawny
    dawny Member Posts: 588
    edited March 2015
    Options

Oh no! VintageGal111 name is on the Angels list?

• fiaranch1
    fiaranch1 Member Posts: 259
    edited March 2015
    Options

Dawny,

I just saw the same on a facebook link I check some times . Apparently she had a re occurance and passed 3/24. I hate this shitful disease !!!