Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

new and future flat sister, with questions

Options

Comments

• ndgirl
    ndgirl Member Posts: 950
    edited March 2015
    Options

3 hours of ironing? ouch, havent done that for years. I just iron as neededSickTiredbut used to do much more. Sounds like you have a great machine to make it easy tho.

A new dog Bobo? how will the real Bobo react? hope another dog isnt adding to your already overloaded schedule. Need pics.

• SC60
    SC60 Member Posts: 403
    edited March 2015
    Options

Since Bobo isn't posting photos of her new fur baby, I thought I would post one of Allie. She looks so innocent, but it is all a ploy!

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,831
    edited March 2015
    Options

She's getting so big!!  Can't wait to hear more about the new dog.

• glennie19
    edited March 2015
    Options

wow,,, Allie is getting really big!  Can't wait to hear more about Bobo's new dog.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,175
    edited March 2015
    Options

OMD she's getting so big!!!!

• ldesim
    ldesim Member Posts: 1,193
    edited March 2015
    Options

wow.. she did grow fast and has a lot more to go by the looks of it! :)

• ldesim
    edited March 2015
    Options

Did you guys see Bobo's email.. how cute is that dog.... I wonder if his tongue always stays out and how he eats. I can't believe he was supposed to be euthanized.. that's just heartbreaking.

• dawny
    dawny Member Posts: 588
    edited March 2015
    Options

Oh, Allie! She is gorgeous!

L, I have just seen pics of Bobos Max, he is adorable too! I too wonder about his tongue, and eating. Tell us more Bobo! We love him! How is he fitting in? Would like to see a photo of Allie and Max together.

M, the thermomix will be busy, now it is school holidays again. In the last few days it has made, hot cross buns, bread and rolls, juices, yoghurt, quinoa salad, chicken Mexican rice thingy, spinach and garlic naan bread. Today, I think it will be, pastry and filling for Apple and berry pies, granola and muesli bars. Still loving it, but my butt is still expanding too! X

• AndreaJ50
    AndreaJ50 Member Posts: 704
    edited March 2015
    Options
    She is beautiful! I wish my legs were that long!!
  • spookiesmom
    edited March 2015
    Options

Max is a doll baby. Suppose he can only eat wet food?

• AndreaJ50
    AndreaJ50 Member Posts: 704
    edited March 2015
    Options

So cute.I was wondering how he ate....but he is 12, so he must eat somehow. Thanks for the pics Bobo!

And what exactly is a "Lesbian Pet Store"??

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,879
    edited March 2015
    Options

Bobo, Could you send me the pics everyone is talking about? I'm feeling left out.

• ldesim
    edited March 2015
    Options

Wren, I'll PM you.

• OvercomingOne
    OvercomingOne Member Posts: 160
    edited May 2015
    Options

where did everyone go?

O2

• ro-berta
    ro-berta Member Posts: 21
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi everyone new to this forum but not new to BCO. I found this forum very informative and helpful. I am going for mastectomy in August i am 3 years out of treatment. Reason for mastectomy is due to extensive radiation damage which I am aware that it is not at all common. I have concerns about the healing process among other concerns to do with already damaged tissue etc. I wondered if there was anyone else out there who would have had this experience. I thought long and hard wether to post these questions as I didn,t want to scare anyone off from treatment. Thank you for your time Ro_berta

• spookiesmom
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi

This thread hasn't had a lot of activity for a while. You may get more answers if you start a new thread.

Best wishes

• glennie19
    edited May 2015
    Options

ro-berta:  You may want to start another thread on your topic. I've had a mastectomy and can tell you all about it, but I didn't have rads so I'm no help on that department. There may be others who are in a similar place that you are and it would be easier for them to find you if you start another thread with an appropriate title explaining your situation.  **radiation damage--now need Mastectomy**  something like that perhaps?  

Best of luck to you.

• Candiceleeporter
    Candiceleeporter Member Posts: 13
    edited October 2018
    Options

I’ve been reading all the posts and I have found them all so helpful. I am a new member here facing a double mastectomy without doing reconstruction. I am very nervous.my surgery is scheduled for Oct 31st. I really want to connect with someone who has gone through this. Some days I question my decision but this has to be done. I am 48 yrs old and many people are asking me why I am choosing not to do reconstruction. I tell them it’s a deeply personal decision and I just wanted to put this behind me and move on without any more surgeries or worry about complications . Anyone out there that wants to share their experience with this would be appreciated.

Candice

• spookiesmom
    edited October 2018
    Options

This thread hasn’t been active for years.

You will get more responses if you start a new thread.

• ksusan
    ksusan Member Posts: 461
    edited October 2018
    Options

Hi, Candice. Yes, please start a new thread! You'll get many more responses.

• SPDGirl
    SPDGirl Member Posts: 98
    edited October 2018
    Options

Hi Candice - I am 46 years old and had a double mastectomy without reconstruction in May of this year. Although it has been a little over 5 months now, I still feel like a newbie on the whole experience, however I would be happy to answer any questions that I can.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,879
    edited October 2018
    Options

I'm only a single, but I remember those having doubles talking about sleeping in a recliner because it's so difficult to get out of bed without using your arms while they're sore. I agree that starting a new thread would be the best way to get a lot of responses. There's also a thread about getting ready that talks about things you need to do ahead of time. Example is moving things you use every day to low shelves or your countertop because you're ability to reach up high is limited at first.

• aussie-cat
    aussie-cat Member Posts: 5,496
    edited October 2018
    Options

Candice, I'm a similar age to you and I had a prophylactic double mastectomy in June without reconstruction. I don't regret not getting reconstruction at all. It's certainly a quicker and less painful process to have surgery without reconstruction with much less recovery time. The outcome of reconstruction can be unpredictable (in terms of the shape and size a woman's breasts end up) but if you don't get reconstruction, you can choose what size prostheses to wear or to go flat, or alternate. You can also not do reconstruction at the moment and then choose it later down the track. Please feel free to ask more specific questions that are of concern to you.

• wirdgirl118
    wirdgirl118 Member Posts: 139
    edited October 2018
    Options

I didn’t want reconstructions and I don’t wear foobs either after my double mastectomy in 2013, and I have a bit of a belly from loving to eat but not loving to exercise. So my body shape can be perplexing to others. I didn’t want to get reconstruction knowing I would have to still have mammograms with the challenge of making out what is an implant and what is breast tissue. My friend who did get reconstruction said she regretted it, and I was shocked because this friend was stylish and attractive and not a baby about pain, but she said reconstruction was too uncomfortable to make it worth it for

• Candiceleeporter
    edited October 2018
    Options

Thanks for your reply. I’m freaking out a bit in terms of what to expect post surgery. I got a call Friday to say surgery is scheduled for the 31st. So there is not much time to mentally prepare. I don’t have a strong support network here where I live. So it’s nice to be able to talk with people with similar circumstances. It sucks that we have to be in these circumstances to begin with but I know there are many women facing this. I’d like to talk to you about how you felt post surgery and how you told family and friends why you chose to do a double mastectomy without reconstruction. I have family members who don’t really understand why I’ve chosen to do this. So I feel a bit pressured to change my course of action but I’m running out of time but I still feel I’ve made the right choice for me.

Candice

• ReggieH
    ReggieH Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2018
    Options

Hi Candice. I chose a bilateral mastectomy with no reconstruction 5 months ago and I know I made the right choice for me. The plastic surgeon I saw was honest: 30 percent chance of complications; implants need to be replaced every 10 years. And the women I know who’ve had problems from surgery were the ones having reconstruction. Plus it’s a much longer surgery and recovery with more pain. I wear “the girls” sometimes but mostly I’m flat. And I’m fine with it. It’s actually kind of liberating in a strange way. Know that whatever choice you make, it’s the right one for YOU.

I’ve posted some care tips for after mastectomy surgery on a new website, BCCT.ngo. That’s Beyond Conventional Cancer Therapies. Look in the blog section. I hope they’re helpful for you.

• ReggieH
    ReggieH Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2018
    Options

Hi Candice. I chose a bilateral mastectomy with no reconstruction 5 months ago and I know I made the right choice for me. The plastic surgeon I saw was honest: 30 percent chance of complications; implants need to be replaced every 10 years. And the women I know who’ve had problems from surgery were the ones having reconstruction. Plus it’s a much longer surgery and recovery with more pain. I wear “the girls” sometimes but mostly I’m flat. And I’m fine with it. It’s actually kind of liberating in a strange way. Know that whatever choice you make, it’s the right one for YOU.

I’ve posted some care tips for after mastectomy surgery on a new website, BCCT.ngo. That’s Beyond Conventional Cancer Therapies. Look in the blog section. I hope they’re helpful for you.

• Candiceleeporter
    edited October 2018
    Options

Thank you so much! I’m definitely going to check out the website. I’m glad everything is going well for you and that you are at peace with your decision. I’m very nervous about waking up with the realization they are gone I’m trying hard to get my head wrapped around that situation. I know I’ll be ok . I know it’s the right decision for me. I don’t have much time to get ready for the big day which probably is a good thing. Wish me luck. Thank you for sharing a bit of your story with me . Id love to hear from you again. I’ll let you know how i do next week.

Candice

• SPDGirl
    SPDGirl Member Posts: 98
    edited October 2018
    Options

Candice - I was originally only diagnosed with cancer on my right side, but my husband and I decided together that I would have the bilateral mastectomy. Our 2 big deciding factors were that we wanted to do everything we could to avoid having to go through this again and I have Sensory Processing Disorder and felt that I just wouldn't be able to handle being lop-sided. I decided not to have reconstruction due to the SPD, and wanting to avoid future surgeries, and a long drawn out recovery. After my surgery, the pathology showed that DCIS was found on my left side, so I have felt even better on my decision.

I was originally small busted and not overly attached to my breasts to begin with so I have not had too much of an issue with the visible part of them being gone, although my first look was a little tentative. It really isn't that noticable in my situation and those that have asked if I had reconstruction seem supportive right away when I say I haven't. I have had a lot of issues with chest tightness following my surgery, so I am doubly glad I didn't have reconstruction.

Thinking of you!

• Candiceleeporter
    edited October 2018
    Options

Thank you ! Everyone here has been so supportive and helpful. I had a particularly bad day yesterday. I was really tired and felt like I was living someone else’s life. I kept saying ... I can’t believe this is happening to me .., I’m only 48! Being at work helps me focus on other things which I’m thankful for but after surgery with not being at work and staying home to recover will drive me nuts ! I’m trying to be strong but I need to be honest if I didn’t say I was worried about next Wednesday and waking up with no breasts. I’ve had 2 lumpectomies and I really thought that was the end of surgeries. This all started in my left breast with an invasive carcinoma of the lobules and lcis which as you know is a marker for increased risk of it coming back in the left as well as the right one . I didn’t want to go through this again in a few years time so i made the decision to have both removed. I know ive made the right decision . Thanks for your thoughts :)

Candic