Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

new and future flat sister, with questions

Options

Comments

• Ariom
    Ariom Member Posts: 4,027
    edited April 2013
    Options

Idesim, It has been freezing here the past couple of days. We have had storms, and hail, and the wind has been brutal, at about 80km an hour. it is a real shock since we have been having a heatwave up till recently.

I got a real shock when I left my massage therapists house yesterday. The freezing wind hit my chest, and it took my breath away. I had no idea that it would make such a difference, not having that insulation. I will be buying woollen underwear for this winter.

I do hope that bomber is caught soon, no one should have to live in lockdown.

I'm truly sorry that you had surprises in your Pathology, it is what we are all terrified of, but I can relate to your relief about having the Mx. What does this mean for treatment for you?

I haven't got any Bamboo sheets, but we bought a king size bed to replace the awful queen waterbed we had,  and it has bamboo as the cover on it. It is a total latex mattress, to prevent Colin getting pressure sores, so it needs a cover that breathes. 

I have chosen a few pictures to give you an idea of this place, but haven't been able to get Colin to upload because we have his sister staying with us at the moment. She lost her husband to a heart attack, the night before my surgery, and this is the fist time we've seen her since December. They have a lot of catching up to do.

I too, am wondering about Bobo. I hope she's just busy.

Take care!

• ldesim
    ldesim Member Posts: 1,193
    edited April 2013
    Options

Sorry to hear abut the storms, I am so glad that winter is behind me.   By all means, get some nice worm clothing... I hope you have a nice fireplace ;)

There is no change to my treatment, radiation was always in the treatment plan.  I am upset to find out that there was more cancer than any of us knew.  Hopefully it was contained in the removed breast.. and lymph nodes.

That poor woman, losing your partner must be so difficult... I hope she is getting some sense of comfort from her visit with you.  We lost my father to a heart attack 6 years ago and my mother still misses him terribly and lives as if he is still around.

I'm not sure how much coverage you are getting on it, but the bomber was caught finally yesterday evening after a 24 hour chase.  Hopefully the 2 brothers were not part of any organization and all the threat is over.  I feel sorry for the family, those parents lost 2 sons yesterday.

I can't wait to see the pictures :)  Hope you have a great day... I'm thinking you're about 12 hours ahead of me.

• Ariom
    edited April 2013
    Options

Hi Idesim,

My sister in law isn't doing quite as well as we thought, so we are treading carefully. Her husband was much older than she is, so although it was discussed that it would likely go this way, it is still a huge shock. She is going home tomorrow, stopping on the way to visit a girlfriend who has a small beach resort on the coast. I am sure she'll have a good time catching up with her friend, and then she'll be back at work as a teacher next week.

I do hope that all the cancer is contained in the removed breast and nodes, when will you get your pathology results? The waiting is just brutal isn't it!

I have been watching the coverage of the bomber on cable TV from the US, so I have caught up with it all. I too feel for the families of all concerned who are left behind to wonder, Why?

I will get Colin to do the photos as soon as we are on our own without distractions, his Sister brought her new Whippet puppy with her, and it has caused lots of problems with our new renovations. That's a whole other story. LOL

I just checked the time. It is 12pm Sunday lunchtime here and it is 10pm in Boston last night. We have just come off daylight saving time.

Take care!

• gramwe
    gramwe Member Posts: 238
    edited April 2013
    Options

Hello everyone. Just popping in to let you know I'm thinking of you all.

• Ariom
    edited April 2013
    Options

Hi gramwe, me too!

I have just said goodbye to another house guest, so have more time to catch up.

ldesm, hasn't been around either.

Where is everyone? I am concerned that Bobo has not been back. I hope she is off celebrating good news.

I have been watching for any movemnet on this post too, so glad you're around. How are you doing?

• ldesim
    edited April 2013
    Options

Hi Granwe, how are you doing? Ok here.. doing great after surgery, enjoying the coming of Spring, but reality sets in tomorrow as I have to go for radiation consult (booo!)

Ariom! Not sure what happened to my post, but i had responded a couple of days ago, lol. I'm sure you know the bomber has been caught... and it still is a huge subject around here.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures!

I did get my pathology that's what disclosed all those tiny areas of cancer.

What have you been up to?  It was finally nice enough today to go out and do some gardening.. we did up a couple of flower beds and tomorrow we'll plant them.  Nothing to the degree it sounds like you do Ariom, ours is strictly greenhorns at work :)

• Ariom
    edited April 2013
    Options

I have been following the news on the bomber, and I did see your post, and answered it. It is further up this thread.

I have realised that when you get notification that there is another post on a thread, it is the last one, so I have discovered that I have to scroll back to see the last one I read before reading the newest one.

I have just bathed the dog. He has been really unwell. I took him to the Vet, only to find he has a massive allergy to pollen. I have been calling the poor little guy "one eye willy" because one eye is completely shut and the other is red and sore. He has been burning up and itching for days, so he is now on antibiotics, cortisone, and eye ointment. He has to have omega 3 and 6 in his food for the rest of his life now. We have a lot of things flowering at the moment as we go into Autumn.

I am going to get Colin to do these photos for me right now. Please don't expect too much it is very much a work in progress, but I love it. LOL I am sure your garden is lovely, and loved by you.

Take care!

• bobogirl
    bobogirl Member Posts: 2,083
    edited April 2013
    Options

Hey there Ariom and Idesim, sorry I haven't been on the boards.  I am not having an easy time of it, but it could be worse.  Idesim, I was just catching up on you over in another thread.  How are you?  Ariom, I swear you could be a camisole saleswoman!  You make everything sound so good and inviting.  I want all of your camisoles.

Missing everyone, but vaulted back into my four (!) jobs one week after surgery, and I'm barely able to keep up with that and my home duties.  Hopefully things will slow down.  But I've got two appointments next week -- still in the thick of it.

Hugs to all.  XXX Bobogirl

• bobogirl
    edited April 2013
    Options

Moira, I am reading backwards.  Have you stolen another puppy?  And is your own puppy okay? Have I misread?  Sure could use a puppy story!

• gramwe
    edited April 2013
    Options

Hello everyone! Hope I don't bore you to tears, I've got lots to share. The good stuff first! I can drive again, do some housework, but no pushing the lawn mower, or lifting. The skin graft is alive and thriving, and I'm still covered in plastic wrap. My first solo trip was to the nursery. : ) Then I recruited my son to gather my pots, and I sat in the glorious sunshine and planted 32 containers of flowers. Color is now abounding on my decks and my cheeks.

Today I must have met one of Arimo's relatives. My husband and I went shopping for camisoles. This lady was watching us intently, we thought we were in her way. She was actually waiting on him to open a package so I could feel the material. As soon as he got it out of the package she stepped between us, touched the fabric, smiled at me and said, "darling, this is exactly what you need, it will feel wonderful against your scars. By the way sister I've walked in your shoes." With that she gave me a pat on the shoulder, a wink, and then walked away. My first public encounter with a BC sister : )

I told my MO I didn't want to start hormone therapy until the end of summer! I'm tired of cancer, and wanted a cancer vacation, plus the stressing over the cost. He agreed to give me a 4 week vacation no longer, then yesterday I received a letter, instead of having to pay $500.00 a month for the magic pills, he got me into a program a 3 month supply for $30.00! So I will start May 25th.

Now the not so good. The right arm has cording. Painful, annoying, and why. I've been here reading all night instead of sleeping! Now to find the right PT to help.

bobo, 4 jobs? Goodness that's a lot. You are Super Woman. Sending you hugs and positive thoughts.

Arimon, Hope your fur baby is feeling better. Can't wait to see your pictures.

Idesim, :( sorry you have to go for rads consult. Darn sneeky cancer.

Sending hugs and positive thoughts for you too.

The sun is coming up. Time to make the coffee and start/continue this long day.

• Ariom
    edited April 2013
    Options

Oh my gosh!

So glad you're all back!

Thought it may have been something I said!

Bobo, so glad to see you, we were getting a bit worried but wow, four jobs and a house to run. A week after surgery. You are amazing! But please take care of you, and don't overdo it. Do you have any help at home?

Yes, you're right ariom is moira backwards, not a lot of thought went into my avatar, or name.LOL I mentioned once before that I wanted to have "ariom" as my car numberplate so my girlfriends could look in their rear view and know it was me behind them!

Thanks for asking, my boy Dexter is getting better. He isn't quite himself, yet. I don't think the meds agree with him so he is a little "sooky la la", won't leave my side. follows me everywhere.

I don't have a puppy up my shirt story, today, but I did get notification today that all the stuff I bought in the US has landed in Melbourne....yay, so should be delivered this week.

I have new Foobs, swim form, and a new prosthesis, and yes.....more camisoles! Bought so incredible cheap over there. I can't believe the disparity in price between the states, and Australia.

Colin says I am the only person he knows who could turn this into a shopping opportunity!

You look after you, Miss Bobo, and let us know how you are doing when you get the time. ((((Hugs)))))

• Ariom
    edited April 2013
    Options

Gramwe, Never boring........that's wonderful news, so glad to hear you are doing so well and the graft has taken, and is going well. You sound so upbeat and happy, it's contagious!

32 containers of flowers, wow, that's quite a days work...... I'd love to see that!

I just love the camisole shopping story, I had a moment the other day  too. I went to a thrift shop, we call them Opportunity Shops here, I wanted to buy a swimsuit that I could cut out the bra to practise sewing it into a pyjama top. I want to get it right before I take apart a good suit for its bra.

Anyway, I mentioned to the lady that I was going to take it apart for the bra, and she asked me why. I told her I'd had a Mx at Christmas and wanted to attach a bra into a pair of lounging pj's with a soft foob in it. She lit up, and said "Oh! What a Wonderful Idea!" "I would never have thought of that, but I am going to try that too!" she had a UMx 3 years ago. I said that I don't like the "puppy up my shirt" look if there is anyone other than just the two of us at home. She roared with laughter, and said she couldn't wait to tell her family about the Puppy analogy, but she could relate. LOL

Sorry Bobo, I did have a "puppy" story after all!

That's great news about getting the medication for a reasonable cost, it must be a great load off your mind. A cancer vacation...I like the sound of that.

I am so sorry to hear you've got cording. I was Dx with Mondors disease after my surgery. It is cording that comes from the area behind where the nipple was, and runs down the abdomen, branching off under the ribs. I could feel it all from the outside, and just imagined it looked like a big varicose vein. If I stood up very straight and bent backwards, you could see it throught the skin. It was very annoying, and it felt like a burning pain. One of the branches snapped when I rolled over in bed.

My surgeon told me not to be concerned, easy for him to say, take low dose asprin, and it would resolve itself. I massaged it several times a day, always under the hot shower, and had my massage therapist massage it when I was having my remedial massage for my rheumatoid arthritis. It did resolve itself after about 7 weeks. I did some research on it, and it is pretty much the same as the axillary cording, some are lymph and some are vein, or thrombosis.

I hope you find a good PT to get it moving for you.

Thanks for asking about Dex too! 

ldesim and I discovered that I couldn't upload the photos to the site, so I had to send them as an email to her. If you'd like me to send them let me know by pm.

Hope you have had a wonderful day! Take care....(((Hugs)))))....Moira

• bobogirl
    edited April 2013
    Options

Moira!  So sorry about Dexter!  Poor puppy!  Hope he is feeling better.

You have got to tell me the very best of all the camisoles.  You are such an expert.  I don't want to make a million mistakes!

Hmm.  Here's something.  My DLLP did the grocery shop today with our daughter.  I am vegetarian; she is not.  She had a budget of $100.  She brought home hot dogs, chicken, lamb chops, beer, kid items, and... not one vegetable! Not one.  No vegetables.  Like, we do not have even one carrot, since I juiced them all this morning.  I am actually mad at her!

Gramwe, that was not boring at all.  I was up at 3:30 this morning.  I wish I'd known you were up too!  XXX

• gramwe
    edited April 2013
    Options

And I just noticed I spelled Ariom, wrong. I'm sorry, it was late, the lighting was bad....oh who am I kidding I"m a lousy speller, frontwards or backwards. Sorry

• ldesim
    edited April 2013
    Options

Young lady, where have you been? I've been worried sick about you!!! So glad you checked in.. although I am sorry to hear what you've been going through! 

Granwe!! So happy to hear you are doing so good!!

I'll catch up a bit more with you girls later.. just wanted to post real quick.

Moira, I'm pretty sure I can figure out how to paste the pics you sent me, would that be ok with you if I did?

Talk to you girls later! xo

• Ariom
    edited April 2013
    Options

Hi ladies!

Just got up to a cool and overcast day here, but pleased to see messages from you girls.

Spelling, schmelling, gramwe, as we say here in Aus "No Worries!"

Bobo, thanks for the concerns about Dex, he's such a cute little man, quite a character, so when he's sick, it is very noticeable.

For fear of sounding like a broken record, or a spokesperson for the company, I have to say my absolute favourite camisole has to be the Amoena Valletta. I have worn these to death over the summer here. Next would be the ones that are just a normal racerback tank, but they are made from bamboo and are as soft as silk. I wear them with an Ahh Bra. My most recent find has been a seamless, knit, shapewear tank, that has the cups knitted in so they protrude from the front, and they have a support band under the bust that is knitted into the structure. I can wear this little beauty with nothing under it and a normal prosthesis in the knitted cup. It worked so well, I was amazed. Keep in mind though, Bobo I am supporting an almost 60 year old "D" cup "puppy" here, so I need some good scaffold!

I will let you know about the cami I have in my order from the US. I am so surprised at the speed of delivery of this package. I ordered the delivery on Friday night, our time, and have tracked it over the weekend. It arrived, on the ground in Australia on Sunday, and should get here sometime this week. That's service!

Well it's Monday here, so I am off to do some food shopping. That was quite a shopping blunder Bobo, they couldn't have got it more wrong for you! I hope you got some vegetables to tide you over. Don't want to see you going hungry.

Take care everyone! 

• Ariom
    edited April 2013
    Options

Hi ldesim, you must have been writing at the same time as I was. How are you doing?

I don't mind if you want to post the pics, I just don't want you to go to any trouble. It's so easy to send in an email.

Take care.....talk later!

• bobogirl
    edited April 2013
    Options

I know, idesim, I am super-naughty!  I have been working and then falling into bed ASAP.  Apparently without anything to eat, thanks to my DLLP. I had rice for dinner last night.  Really.

I wish I could have a picture of Dex!  'Ariom,' how much do I love that camisole talk?  You sound so cool and efficient, like a stewardess, but about camisoles :)  Just navigating the whole bra thing with something sewn into it at the moment.

But you know the really great thing, the really excellent thing?  I have a daughter who is medically fragile -- it's been terrible -- and I just got some pretty great news today.  I swear.  Because she is healthy, I am completely fine!  I don't care about myself at all, as it turns out!

Kisses to everyone.

• Michele2013
    Michele2013 Member Posts: 232
    edited April 2013
    Options

Has anyone experienced a cold sensation in thier chest when drinking something cold? I am almost a month out from my bmx and I have never before had this happen to me until the last couple of weeks.

Just wondering

• Ariom
    edited April 2013
    Options

Good Morning All from DownUnder!

Oh BoBo, just rice, that's awful. I hope you get time to buy some veg for you today.

I don't know how to post pics here, but if you really want to see Dex, I would happily email, if you PM me.

I am glad you enjoy the Camisole hunt, I know I am a bit obsessive, but being comfortable is paramount for me. If I can help out anyone else with my research, then it's a bonus.

It's funny that you use the stewardess analogy, I worked for 11 years with United airlines here in Aus. I was an International Concierge, so I just looked after the Premium, First Class passengers, and helped run the Red Carpet Club. Although I had been accepted for flying as a Flight Attendant many years ago, I didn't do it. I preferred to stay on the ground and be close to family.   

Getting to the end of your post and seeing your news about your Daughter is just wonderful. How thrilled you must be to hear that news. I am so happy for you. I know that there is nothing that comes close to the way we respond to illness in our children.

In saying that, Miss Bobo, now it is time for you to take care of you. I know  how easy it is to get caught up in being there for everyone else, but you are the lynch pin, so you need to be kind to you. Please take a little time out for you!

Take it easy everyone!   

• Ariom
    edited April 2013
    Options

Hello Michelle!

This is one of the wonders of the Mx! LOL

We have had discussions about it on other threads and it is certainly a common thing. I first noticed it soon after my Umx, and for me it was like the cold, or hot liquid was actually going down and filling the empty space inside my chest.

I asked my surgeon about it, but he just sctratched his head and said he didn't know what it was, but that it couldn't possibly be gullett involvement in the surgery.

Rest assured, it does get better over time. I can still feel it if I concentrate on it when I drink something very cold, in fact, I did it recently when I allowed myself a special treat of a frozen Coke, brain freeze and chest freeze in one! LOL

We have talked a lot about how this is a surgery of "Strange Sensations", the other one we have discussed is the "Claw". It hits, usually when we are tired, under the sentinal node arm. It feels like a sharp claw has a hold of the underarm.

I know there are lots of weird feelings to get used to, pins and needles, numbness, and electric shocky things caused by nerves trying to reconnect, but although I am only a few months out from surgery, lots have dissipated, and some you just accept and get used to.

Have a great day! 

• indenial
    indenial Member Posts: 125
    edited April 2013
    Options

Michele - Yes to feeling a cold drink in your chest! It is the weirdest feeling! Although now that I think about it, I've been feeling it less often lately. Maybe my nerves are healing? The first time I felt that I wondered if my esophagus was leaking into my chest LOL!

• Ariom
    edited April 2013
    Options

Indenial, that is a great description of it.

It does feel like your esophagus is leaking into the chest! LOL

• gramwe
    edited April 2013
    Options

Yes, to the chilled chest. First time it happened I pulled up my top to "see" if I was leaking. Please keep in mind I was heavily medicated at the time.

• gramwe
    edited April 2013
    Options

If it would leak out fat....oh never mind that's only a fantasy

• Michele2013
    Michele2013 Member Posts: 232
    edited April 2013
    Options

Oh ladies, thank you so much! I thought I was losing my mind.

• ldesim
    edited April 2013
    Options

Ok, so I caught up (I think)!

Granwe, that plastic wrap situation sure does sound uncomfortable.. I am glad to hear the skin graft is doing good, but how long do you have to remain mummified and how on earth do you shower like that?  I know what you mean about the sun and just being able to do something it is such a great feeling.

I think had it been me in the store with the camisole and having somebody approach me like that, I would have started crying.. not an upset crying, but probably sort of a relief type.

It sounds like you are on a different hormonal regiment.. but $500/month.. that would be insane!!!!!  I know you can't put a cost on your health, but I can't believe people have to pay that.  Big hugs to your MO, $30.00 is a big difference. 

Enjoy your cancer vacation, I hope the weather turns out for you :)

Bobogirl, what on earth? 4 jobs?  You cannot be doing 4 jobs and existing on rice, you need your strength.  Do you eat fish at all?  Regardless, it sounds like the food budget has been spent, what a nightmare.. at least the beer has some nutrients lol.  I feel your frustration.

I am cracking up over the stewaress for camisoles.  IMHO Moira could sell anything, she just has this wonderful way of describing things... I swear if I hang around her too much I will go broke.

I think the puppy up the shirt phrase needs to be trademarked.. i just know that I am going to turn on tv one day and hear it on a commercial.

Moira where did you find the "seamless, knit, shapewear tank, that has the cups knitted in so they protrude from the front, and they have a support band under the bust that is knitted into the structure"  That sounds like a great solution.  I have heard about the ahh bra.. but when searching for it there are a million different variations. 

I just placed an order at Forever21, but I fear that they are junior sized clothing and probably not the best quality, but i got some cheap camisoles for $2.80! So we'll see how those turn out.

• Ariom
    edited April 2013
    Options

Hi ldesim!

Thank you for the interest in my research for "undies". The camisole/ tank, is from an australian company called Nearly Nude, but I bought these on closeout @ $6.00 each through a Daily Deals company. I just went onto their website, nearlynude.com.au but the tanks are no longer there. I have seen a very similar top in Target,or KMart in their shapewear department. I have found shapewear to be quite good because it holds everything in place without hurting or rubbing. There are lots of different Ahh Bra type things out there. My favourite ones were from KMart @ 2for $12.00. Also,check out Target for their own brand Post Surgery Bras. I have a few that are just great. They are thick cottton knit, some with lace, and some with a front closure. I have rheumatoid arthritis, so the front close is great when I am in flare up, and can't raise my arms because my shoulders are frozen.

I can sympathise with the awful cost of meds Gramwe. I missed out on a great Rheumatoid drug because it was $18,000 per year. Fortunately it wasn't as important as the drugs you are talking about. I could manage with something else.

I can't believe it, but my box of goodies arrived this morning. Just 3 days from your shores to mine. It is a wonderful service, and I saved a bundle doing it that way.

I now have the Amoena Energy prosthesis, and the Amoena Wave Swim form, bought for a tiny fraction of what I'd have to pay in Aus. I also bougt the "Jillianna" form which is a mix of two kinds of microbeads, and fiber filling. It looks very promising for a slob around the house, or when you're in a dressing gown when guests are staying, and you don't want to let the "puppy" loose. I only paid $26.00 for this little beauty, so I'll let you know how it performs.   

I haven't heard of Forever21, but I like the sound of it! Great! $2.80 for camis, that's my kind of shopping!

Well ladies, I am off to have my hair cut..I'll pop back later to see if anyone has posted...Take care!

• bobogirl
    edited April 2013
    Options

Ariom!  A-ha!  I was right about your tone.  :)  Except you are a high-level executive.  But I was right about the airport part!  

I love this camisole talk so much.  I am going to study it and write everything down.  Just received a cami today from Soma -- it's a sleepwear and loungewear company -- that claims to be seamless and have a little shelf.  I am going to see if it's good for sleeping.  Since this second surgery I can't have any pulling or pressure on the operated area.  I have been sleeping in a put-together contraption -- a cami with a running bra over it -- and it is driving me crazy.

Idesim!  I am so happy for your needling (and yours too Ariom).  The rice had toasted coconut and lemon in it.  That's something, right?  Went to the co-op yesterday and bought vegetables.  Carried them home in a box -- they don't have bags there.  And then I said to my DLLP, These are vegetables.   I know what they are, she said testily.  I eat vegetables all the time.  She's irritated with all the delicious vegetarian Indian food and Japanese noodle bowls and delicious blueberry cobblers I make her!  She wants a lamb chop.  A lamb chop!  That is made out of a lamb.

I really do have four jobs!  I would list them here, but then, as bedo says, I would have to shoot you.  I think she is actually some kind of spy.  Tomorrow I am having DLLP do the school run -- I work from home only tomorrow -- so I can stay in my pjs and not have the stress of the four-hour commute of drop off and pick up.  Tomorrow I only work one of the jobs!  This is like a vacation.  

Michele, you are not crazy!  I have had that.  And Ariom and I have spoken quite a bit about the claw.  In fact, I am having a modest version of the claw at this very moment!

XXXX

• gramwe
    edited April 2013
    Options

Excuse me while I rant, again! I just had an appointment with my family doctor, who went over my reports with me. I had been told 0/3 nodes, but my latest pathology showed 2/3, now I'm upset again.

He also thinks I need to see a neurologists, to see if my arm pain is coming from "something" in my neck. I want to corral all my doctors in one room and get them to tell me everything they know and see, no candy coating just the facts.