Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

new and future flat sister, with questions

Options

Comments

• ldesim
    ldesim Member Posts: 1,193
    edited May 2013
    Options

Now there would be a nifty little thing to have... a drawer unit for the foobs, bras and camisoles! Kind of like an armoire but with like the apothecary style of drawers.    I'm sure there is a market for a nice piece of furniture just for this purpose!

Here's a link to the one I bought.. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271095691756&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

I wore it all day today which is the first time I've worn a bra all day for a couple of months and I was comfortable for about 8 hours.. then I couldn't wait to get it off and the best part is I looked natural without it moving all around as all I have now is the inserts that came with the amoena camisoles.  Whether it will work during radiation remains to be seen.. but I figure if I do develop skin problems, a nice tank underneath the bra should do the trick.

My only regret is she didn't have any in black and now I can't pay the normal price elsewhere since I got it for $12.00 lol :)

First day back to work.. got lots of hugs which was great, its always nice to know you were missed.  The downside was they didn't give me much work to do.. and the day was very long as a result.

Hope everyone is doing fantastic!

• Ariom
    Ariom Member Posts: 4,027
    edited May 2013
    Options

That's a great idea ldesim, apothecary drawers would work!

Thanks for the link, I will keep an eye out for that one, not that I need another bra! I too, hate to pay full price after I have gotten a bargain, but that's the Scot in me! LOL

I just received the two black "Mona" bras I ordered. I have found it difficult to find black inthe styles I like, but since I am a predominately black clothes wearer, I need them.

I am so glad getting back to work wasn't too tough for you, but I doubt the "not enough work" will last. LOL Nice of them though!

I am about to go in to town to return a pair of shoes I bought last week. I bit the bullet and paid $155.00 for a pair of Merrell shoes for walking, and one has an infuriating squeek when I take a step. I am hoping I won't have an altercation in the shop over this one. If I do , I am ready for it. I haven't had a good argument in ages! Everyone has been so nice. LOL

I am going to have to change into something warmer, we have had a lot of rain, so the fires are out, but the chill in the air is making me shiver.

Take care, and I hope everyone else is doing well, just too busy to post.

• ldesim
    edited May 2013
    Options

I'm glad to hear the fires are finally out! Let us know how you find the Mona bras.  I wear a lot of black too.. and for me, I think I'll feel more comfortable in darker colors in the upcoming months, so a black bra will be a necessity!  

Good luck with the shoes, although I am laughing a bit imagining the squeak as you walk.  I do admit a nice argument now and again does a body good.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,869
    edited May 2013
    Options

I had a pair of Wolky's that developed a squeak. Finally had to toss them because I waited too long to take them back. Definitely do not settle without getting a new pair. They can send them back to the factory as defective.

• Ariom
    edited May 2013
    Options

Hi Wren and ldesim!

I didn't have the slightest problem at the shoe shop except that the darn shoe didn't make the noise straight away, but  when it started they couldn't deny it, so a new pair have been ordered and will be in on Friday.

I can tell you that the "Mona" bra is a faourite. My very first bra that I was fitted for was a "Mona" in Champagne, I have been hoping black would come up on Ebay, but no such luck. I ended up buying two black online from a store in the US and had it sent to MyUs, and then had them sent to me. I stillmanaged to get the two for the price of one here in Aus.

I have a new Cami on that I just bought from Target for $12.00. It has shoestring straps that are adjustable and has a shelf bra inside. I am using a "Jillianna" Foob that is slightly weighted, has microbeads and a soft outer. 

I have been looking for a comfortable, hang around the house outfit that I can wear with or without a Foob, and I think this is going to work for me. I have a pair of cotton and elastane yoga pants, with this cami, and a fine jersey, long cardigan. Super comfy, dead cheap, and because it is all in black, it covers a multitude of sins! LOL

I so agree ldesim, a good argument can do the body good, but I find I am much more mellow, after all this. Let's see how long it lasts. LOL

Tak care ladies.........chat soon! I wonder where that Bobogirl is?     

• gramwe
    gramwe Member Posts: 238
    edited May 2013
    Options

Good day! You guys have been chatting it up while I've been on cancer vacation.

I had sat here writing a long post trying to address everyone, scrolled back to see who was having the Bye Bye Booby party and lost my post! Hate it when that happens. So I'm not going to try to reproduce all my humorous words of wisdom right now. The sun is shining, birds are chirping and I'm allowed to go out to play in the dirt, with just a few restrictions. All the "plastic wrap" has been removed, now the world can see the gaping hole in my chest, hopefully in time the graft will fill in, for now I'm slapping a huge band aid on it so it doesn't get sunburned, while enjoying the spring!

Be back soon to catch up. Hope you all enjoy your day /evening

• Ariom
    edited May 2013
    Options

Gramwe! Lovely to see you back after your Cancer Vacation. Sounds like you are feeling good.

I hate when the posts disappear into cyber space. Wasn't the Bye Bye Boobie party a great idea?

So glad to hear you have the plastic wrap removed, can just imagine you out there in the garden with your giant bandaid on!

While you were away I discovered yet another Camisole! See above post if you are interested.

Looking forward to hearing how you are doing. I do envy your Springtime, it is getting very chilly here, but the whole place looks amazing, the trees along the road into town all burnished brown and orange. Flock of birds I have never seen before, are coming into the area. As much as I dislike the cold, I must admit I love the change of seasons.

I too, have been playing in the garden. I have filled so many bags with leaves, but I just can't keep up. The couple who are helping me with the garden were here yesterday and we managed to get it mowed, edged, weeded, and just generally spruiced up. Hopefully it will stay that way for a little while. I am still getting little surprises of plants I didn't know were there, and the Camelias are all out and looking amazing. There are so many different colors and types. They were a wonderful aquisition with the house. 

Well it is bedtime for me.......take care everyone......I'll check in tomorrow!

• bobogirl
    bobogirl Member Posts: 2,083
    edited May 2013
    Options

OMG, bras and cami descriptions from Ariom, plus a promise of a shoe shop fight?  I am in Heaven.  I am a teeny bit disappointed that there was no fight.

Idesim, so glad you are back at work.  I totally understand that thing about wanting your bra off after eight hours.  I have had two partial mastectomies (??? how can this be?) on the left breast (last one was for an 11 cm lump).  I am having a difficult time with bras at the moment.  Sometimes it feels better to be held in, sometimes it feels like I want to tear it off and I can barely wait until I get home.

Thank goodness!  Working from home at the moment.  The stars aligned, I taught my class, and now I'm taking care of things from bed.  Well, as you can see, I am not really taking care of things.  :)

• ldesim
    edited May 2013
    Options

lol Bobogirl.. I agree with you, I was hoping for a little shoe squirmish.  

The bra was the first thing off when I got home even before this all happened.. hate them... they were invented to torture us.  Why can't it be acceptable to just hang loose? lol.  I'm going to try a cotton tank underneath the bra.. but geez how many damn layers do we have to wear nowadays?

Gramwe, I so hope you enjoyed your cancer vacation and I am SO glad to hear that you got rid of the plastic wrap, that really sounded like a nightmare, not that a gaping hole sounds so much better.  Enjoy your sunshine and dirt :)  I have TWICE now lost posts which were somewhat lengthly and in my personal opinion, somewhat witty.. very frustrating :)

I'll check into the Mona, I'm afraid this is going to turn into a collection!  I bet Moira owns foobs like some women own shoes :)

Hi Wren44, how you doing?  I don't think I've ever had a squeaky shoe problem.  I do own a pair of flats that have buckles on them and make jingly type noises that drive me up the wall and probably annoy all those around me as well.

Starting radiation tomorrow ladies, pretty nervous about it.. I just so want this to be over.

Talk to you all tomorrow.. have great days and evenings!

• Ariom
    edited May 2013
    Options

Hello Gorgeous Bobo!

So sorry i don't have a good fight story for you, but the truth is, I have just mellowed out so much, it takes a lot to fire me up these days.

You have been missed, Miss Bobo! Two partial Mastectomies sounds brutal. I feel for you, it just isn't fair.

I am glad to hear you are getting a bit of a rest. Working from bed sounds cosy. I don't think I'd get much done, I'd have to snooze, then there would be the TV and checking my emails. Nope! not a good idea for me, I am a bit too easily distracted.

You take care now, and let us know how you are doing!

• Ariom
    edited May 2013
    Options

ldesim, we are going to find you a comfortable soft thing to wear now that you are about to start Rads. Have you seen the range made from either soft cotton, or my favourite, Bamboo infused with Aloe Vera? Target has a range of underwear here that is infused. I had a beautiful set of pyjamas years ago that were infused with Aloe and they were just so soft against the skin. The Mona bra is a great every day bra, but I wouldn't recommend it for you right now when you need something gentle against your skin. How about the Ahh Bra, with a softee? Too much?

I can understand you're nervousness about the treatment, I will be thinking of you. I must say, I have a friend who will be finishing her rad treatment this week, and apart from the fatigue, she has done extremely well. I have also heard that the pure Alloe Vera Gel is great for the skin during the treatment. I have Aloe Plants here, and use the gel whenever I have insect bites, sunburn or scratches.

Your comparison about my Foobs being like shoes, isn't far off the mark! I have a tall cupboard in my dressing room (used to be the previous owner's sewing room, but I am challenged in that area)LOL  that I am going to clear out to give some serious room for my Foob collection, which continues to grow. Oh how I love Ebay! I have found some sensational Foob bargains that I just can't resist. All new with tags, but a fraction of what we have to pay out here. If you hadn't noticed, I am a serious bargain hunter, can't resist it!

Speaking of jingly things, Colin says he always knows where I am. I wear two gold bangles, I don't notice them any more, but apparently he can tell which room I am in from the bangles jingling. Not quite the same as the squelch from those shoes though!

Well ladies, I am going to finish clearing out that cupboard.

ldesim, big ((HUGS)))) for tomorrow, I'll be thinking of you, pleas let us know how it goes.

• bobogirl
    edited May 2013
    Options

Idesim, you have got Ariom on the case now, and so do I!  She is going to find us better bras.  I have been wearing a very thin cami under my bra -- I know it sounds ridiculous.  I got it from gap.  Ariom, it is not ideal.  I have to work on finding a very thin one that is also soft.  And I need a pretty long one, since I put a bra over it.

A little embarrassed wearing (1) thin cami (2) strange compression bra on last setting (3) another cami, and (4) whatever shirt I'm wearing whenever I go to work.  And it's going to get hot here. No wonder I work from bed!

Ariom, you described my work from bed perfectly :)  It takes me twice as long to do everything.  But I am not complaining.  

Kisses to all!

• wren44
    edited May 2013
    Options

I noticed that the Jockey camis were incredibly soft.

• ldesim
    edited May 2013
    Options

Hi all, did my first rads and so far so good.. 1 down.  Been a long day so I just wanted to say hi (hi!) Hope everybody is doing good :)

• Ariom
    edited May 2013
    Options

ldesim, so happy to hear that! Yay!!!!

I wondered about you this morning, while battling the wind and the cold walking Dexter.

Have a rest and I wish you all the best for tomorrow.

• Ariom
    edited May 2013
    Options

Wren, I have some Jockey underwear, and you're right it is very soft.

I would imagine your stores in the US will be getting in lots of fine cotton tanks and camis for your Summer. You'll get to see the new stuff before I will discover it!

• ldesim
    edited May 2013
    Options

You don't need anymore!!! lol.

I forgot about Jockey, they do have nice stuff.. I'll have to check that out... I think Walmart carries them.  I want to try the Bamboo though.   

So far so good, 2 radiations down and no discomfort yet.. I have the weekend coming up.. so I know I should be comfortable for a few more days!

What a gorgeous day today is, it's like a little summer preview.. I love it.  Sorry about your wind and cold Moira :(

I've been wearing plain ol fruit of the loom white tank tops under my bra since I didn't want to stain my new bras with the goop I am putting on the radiated area.  i've never worn so many layers of clothing before, not even in winter :)  Tank, bra, another tank and shirt and in the morning a button down sweater lol.  

I've discovered my fav flowers and LOTS of them on my way to the hospital from the subway and it's just thrilled me to pieces and gives me something to look forward to for as long as they are out.  Bunches and bunches of lilac bushes!  I don't think they stay out long, but for now they are just the highlight of my day lol.

Hugs to all!

• Ariom
    edited May 2013
    Options

ldesim, I know I don't NEED anymore! LOL

Two treatments down, I am so pleased for you, that you have the weekend off.

I love Lilacs too, iit is just lovely to hear the joy in your words ldesim. I was given a bunch from a neighbor not long after we moved here.

That's a lot of clothing to have to wear, is it terribly uncomfortable?

I have been getting into my track pants and a Fruit of the Loom zip up hoodie to go for my walks since the fires are out. It is cold, but I don't mind coming home with a red nose and cheeks, to the warm house.

The research coming out is reporting that a brisk half hour walk 5 times a week is showing huge reduction in recurrence figures for BC. Isn' that amazing? I am doubling my efforts to find the missing key to my treadmill. I put it somewhere safe when we moved, but do you think I can remember where? LOL The darn thing won't work without it.

We had an exciting day yesterday, as our little boat went into the water for the first time since she came here on a big truck from Melbourne. Colin has been working with a local boatbuilder since she arrived, changing the old deisel motor over to a quiet, odorless electric. It has caused a bit of a stir with the "old" yachties here, who can't imagine an electric motor in a yacht. It seems that when trialed yesterday it went so well that some are changing their minds.

I am off to pick up my new shoes, and have lunch in town....Chat later!

• mamy
    mamy Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2013
    Options

Hi everyone! I am not sure if I have posted here before . I have been trying to keep up! So I had my BMX March 21. I have decided to go completely flat. I am so happy not having to wear bras! I am pretty casual girl so I have been wearing hanes tank tops under my t-shirts for softness. Are there many women here deciding to go completely flat after surgery?

• bobogirl
    edited May 2013
    Options

Ariom, what did you have for lunch? :)

Idesim, you are the greatest.  Taking the subway to treatments, smelling the lilacs.  Wish I could see them too!  Laughing because I have the exact same layers as you do.  And believe me, it is not winter here.  In fact, just writing this makes me want to tear off all my clothes right now!!! But I'm not in a position to do that at the moment.

Hello Mamy!  You are in the right place.  Welcome!  There are several threads about this on the bco website.  You will meet lots of like-minded 'sisters.' XXXX

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited May 2013
    Options

Hi Mamy!

I'm one of the flat ones too. I told my surgeon from the beginning I didn't want recon. RO said that made it easier for him also.

As soon as I could drive again those bras went to Goodwill I don't miss them a bit! I'm a shorts and t shirt girl 10 months of the year.

I did have to look "nicer" last week for a function, so I just wore what I would have, tried to flatten my chemo curls and enjoyed myself. No bra, foobs, nothing.

• Ariom
    edited May 2013
    Options

Hello mamy, and Welcome! There are a growing number of women that are deciding to go flat. One thread that you can find them is  "I look for other Flat Chested Women A rant" There is also a place on Facebook "Flat and Fabulous".

I am a "Uniboober", so I go both ways. LOL What I meant to say was,  bra with Foob, or shapewear tank without!

• Ariom
    edited May 2013
    Options

Bobogirl,

It poured with rain, and was too cold so I didn't make it into town, I just had lunch at home. My little garden is still producing my beautiful array of lettuce, 6 different types at the moment, spring onions, and my can't go a day without herbs, Coriander, Curley, and Italian Parsley, Sweet Basil, Olive plant, and Vietnamese Mint, and two different types of old fashioned Tomatoes. I make my own dressing with apple cider vinegar, and sprinkle different types of Dukkah on my salad. I know you aren't into this, but I usually have salmon, or chicken with it. Sometimes I just have a can of lentils, or mixed beans......yum

• Ariom
    edited May 2013
    Options

Spookiesmom, You're good!

I sent a bag of bras to our Goodwill too, but for some reason I still have a bag of my favourites that I haven't parted with yet, don't know why, they won't ever be any use to me. I had the fear put into me when I heard of a woman who had a Mx and wore an old bra with a wire. The wire came loose and stabbed her, but because she was completely numb, like me, she didn't know and got a terrible infection. ewww It sounds like a scary urban legend, doesn't it?

• ldesim
    edited May 2013
    Options

Hi Mamy.. I tell ya.. part of me wishes I told them to take both.. not sure if they would have or not. I am still in bra hell because of the remaining one... I just can't handle the cyclops look lol.  Flat would have been so much less hassle, because I don't think I am going to recon.. but we'll see. 

I know.. the laundry this is generating is unreal lol.  But this Aquaphor crap is messy, so I have old tanks that I don't care if it ruins... I am just really thankful it is not in the middle of summer.  My biggest fear is I won't be able to wear a bra soon because of the radiation and I don't know what I'll do then.  I'm one of those always cold pain in the butts, so far it is not uncomfortable.

Moira, please let us know if there is any shoe squirmishes.. and yes.. what did you have for lunch?

Seriously, those lilacs are keeping my sanity in check.. this daily hospital business is a pain in the rear, so I try to give myself something to look forward to. 

I'm loving the new Alex & Ani bracelets, so I am going to treat myself to one every week during radiation.

Congrats on launching your boat (I hope that is the correct phrase lol).  You watch, those old cronies will be changing their boats over!!! 

TGIF ladies!

• Ariom
    edited May 2013
    Options

H ildesim,

I think our posts must have crossed. My lunch is above! LOL

Please explain what an Alex and Ani bracelet is?

Glad you are doing OK, that goop sounds yuck, but necessary. Please take a look at a Shapewear Tank. There are some that have the knit boob protusion, for want of a better word, that will hold the "rogue" breast but will sit fairly flat against the flat side, or even take a very soft foob if you need protection on that side. Just a thought.

Take care, and enjoy your reprieve for the weekend!

• gramwe
    gramwe Member Posts: 238
    edited May 2013
    Options

Hi everyone. Another rain soaked weekend here, the third one in a row, yuck. Yard work is never going to get finished.

Ildesim, so glad your rads are going well, and you are enjoying the lilacs. Enjoy your weekend off! Please tell us about the bracelets, I'm not familiar with them either.

Moira, your life sounds wonderful! The new home, the boat, even the squeaky shoes. I'm going down under just to spend a day with you. : )

Mamy, I'm in the flat boat with you! Don't miss a bra at all. I don't layer unless going out into the world, the only reason I do it then is because of a large hole high up on my chest, that looks pretty gross. Even with a cami I have to use double sided tape to hold it in place, so it doesn't fall away while bending over. While I was working in a flower bed next to the street down on my knees it occurred to me that traffic going by was being treated to one of two horrid sights, either my big Fanny stuck up in the air,or "the hole" and scars. Oh well I always dreamed of being one of those women who could stop traffic.

Could anyone share how they deal with car seat belts? No matter if I'm the driver or passenger it hurts! As a passenger I can hold it away from the chest, but as the driver its sometimes difficult to drive with only one hand. If it is behind the back you can still be pulled over for improper wear. Plus I am a big seat belt advocate. Suggestions please.

Hope everyone has an enjoyable day/night. Hugs to all.

• Ariom
    edited May 2013
    Options

Hi Gramwe, great to hear from you!

You'd be so welcome, anytime! Ha, we could have some laughs!

I have to tell you, I just crack up every time I read an American referring to their "Fanny", in Australia a "Fanny" is another personal part of the female anatomy!

When I worked for United Airlines here, I used to have to tell the Flight Attendants not to do a lost property call over the PA for what you call a "Fanny Pack", because the Aussies on board would have a fit. Would you believe that we call them "Bum Bags" LOL I bet thats almost as bad for you to hear. LOL

I love the idea of stopping traffic!

I totally understand your seatbelt concern. It is mandatory to wear them here. I don't have an issue driving my car, because Right Boob missing, seat belt doesn't touch it, but as a passenger when Colin drives, I still occasionally use a babys pillow between me and the belt. There are sheepskin pieces that can be attached over the seatbelt to cushion the belt too. I am sure they'd be available in the US. 

In Australia, as soon as you are Dx there is a pack that is given to you which contains a pillow that fits over your shoulder like a shoulder bag to protect you from the seatbelt, a bag for the drains, and a bag for your films etc. There are womens groups all over the country making these for the BC network.

I left Colin home with Dex today while I spent the day at my Massage Therapists Clinic for an Open Day with speakers from lots of different therapies. I had a lovely time. I also picked up my new non squeaking shoes, no drama from the shop...sorry, if I could report an argument, you know I would!

Well, I am off to bed now...great to catch up again....take care all!

• MaggiPgh
    MaggiPgh Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    Options

Hi Everyone, 

this is Maggi from Pgh.  I also did not get creative with my username.  anyway, I see that no one has posted her for about a month, but I hope you see this.  I recently (4 days ago) has my reconstruction, deconstructed.  They called it a bilateral capsulectomy. I was just having too much pain in my chest with the silicone implants.  

I need information on prosthesis stuff.  I don't know anything about it.  I did read about the camisoles, and that is probably what I am looking for.  I cannot stand anything around my chest and back, like a bra.  It is not comfortable, due to severe nerve  damage caused by poor surgical technique during my original mastectomy in 2008.  It is burning hot pinching pain.  

I think it is better, now that I had the deconstruction, but not sure.  I just have to wait and see.  I really don't want to buy off internet, as I want to feel stuff first, so I will try Target.  I need stuff that is loose, not tight. It will hurt, even after this surgery.  I don't care if my foobs are not tight and they move.  I bought a postsurgical cami from a prosthesis store.  We have 4 or 5 here in Pgh. where they fit you and you can touch everything.  They are expensive, but insurance pays for them,  thanks for the info and words of encouragement. I really don't have a breast CA support system here in pgh. other than going to Gildas Place.  

• wren44
    edited May 2013
    Options

Gramwe, I hear you about the wet weekends. Joke in Seattle: What do you call a sunny day after 2 days of rain? Monday. I used a little travel pillow under the seat belt. They have them at fabric stores like JoAnn's.

Welcome Maggie. In addition to sites here, check out breastfree.org and mastectomysolutions.org. A lot of women who don't reconstruct go without foobs for everyday life. One woman who sews, put the foobs in the dress instead of on her for a very special occasion.