Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone else out there choosing 100% Alternative?

Options

Comments

• HLB
    HLB Member Posts: 740
    edited June 2013
    Options

Maureen that is so awesome. I did do research to the point of driving myself crazy! I hated the idea of the chemo but was so afraid of not doing it. I did 3 then I was so miserable and pissed off I quit. Then I had a nervous breakdown over quitting so I went back and finished. It was right at the time because it was plaguing my mind so badly. I refused tamoxifen and I felt very at ease and confident with that no matter how much fear he put into me (and it was every visit for 5 years) so I could tell that was right at the time too. My breasts were extremely small (never wore a bra) and the lx took half the breast and then all but one margin had cancer. So mx it was and if one was going I wasn't going to put up with one implant and one saggy boob. There's another lady who had laser surg named Renya. I haven't seen her on here for awhile but I printed some of her posts because she had very good results with alternative treatments and is a positive inspirational person. Do a search for her, its very intereasting and helpful, and she has mets so there's no doubt her choices have worked!

• HLB
    edited June 2013
    Options

That might not have sounded right. She started with mets (I think) and her mets were almost all resolved with her alt treatments, which she tells about in her posts.

• chef127
    chef127 Member Posts: 226
    edited July 2013
    Options

HLB,

I'm STILL pissed off about the harsh tx that are offered. Is this the best drs can do? I could have predicted my tx and I'm not an onco. I'm a Blue collar girl who can't spell. LASER not lazer. oops

What really bothers me is doing the harsh tx and progressing to stage IV. Sorry it happened to you. If I do get there, and I do think about it, well... no regrets.

I did have a dirty margin on the skin but dr A assured me the skin was also laSed to kill any ca there but I wasn't secure so I did the rads. Should have had a skin BX but I didn't think of it. neither did my RO or onco.

How are you handling the Femera? I have a bottle on my dresser unused. I don't want to flush it and contaminate the H2O supply. ha

Can't wait to restart my Herbal TEA. anyday now. I m going to search for Renya.....thanx

Julie2011....Are you a research guru?

• HLB
    edited July 2013
    Options

Chef, yes it sucks to go through such harsh tx and then have it come back. It took 8 years so who knows maybe the chemo made it go dormant for all that time. I've been doing great with femara and xgeva with no SEs but recently my hot flashes have really increased so I guess the SEs are starting to kick in maybe. Hey who cares about spelling as long as we know what we mean. I make so many typos its a bother to fix them on the phone so if its understandable I leave it. I know it bugs some people.

• col43
    col43 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    Options

Hi Cindy,  I'm glad you have found people to talk to.  I know exactly how you feel about being alone.  I have stage iv breast cancer with mets to my lymph nodes and all throughout my bones including my skull.  I have never had a biopsy, chemo or radiation.  I am currently on Cellect.  It has had many testimonies of cancer disappearing even in the later stages.   I have talked to a woman who was given 3 months to live 3 years ago and she has no sign of cancer.  I do have an oncologist that is willing to monitor me in my choice.  She does blood tests on me every month and scans every 3 months to see how i am doing.  I just found out about the stage iv this last March.  I have my second set of scans that are going to be done at the end of Aug.  I am hoping that there will be some difference.  At this stage there is no cure in the medical world so what do i have to lose by hoping in something natural that won't kill all my cells and destroy what I have left of my immune system.  I have been having some pain in the back of my head the past week from the lesion that is there and my dr. wants me to see the radiologist.  She said it can get rid of the pain.  I have to say that after a week of this pain, it is tempting to just get rid of the pain.  I'm hoping the pain will just subside.  Other met locations have done that.  Will keep you posted.

• GreenGirl1
    GreenGirl1 Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2013
    Options

Hello Brave Ladies,

I am a 4-year survivor. I had lumpectomy (and 2 re-excision surgeries) at the time of diagnosis in 3/09. I refused chemo and radiation and completely overhauled my lifestyle. No more processed foods, found out what my food allergies are, no red meat or poultry and no dairy. I lost 40 pounds just by eating well and feel great. I was recently diagnosed with a local DCIS in the same breast. My surgeon at Columbia Pres. in NYC believes this was left over from my previous surgeries and not a "new" issue. He is behind the choices that I have made. I told him that just 4 years ago when I mentioned nutrition to the surgeon who did my original surgery, she looked at me like I had 3 heads. Everyone thought I was crazy. But, I had very aggressive cancer (stage 1) and truly believe that I got more benefit from changing my lifestyle and taking great care of myself than I would have gotten with a 2% absolute benefit from chemo. Initially, I did high dose vitamin C intravenous drips for the first year and I am on a regime of supplements as well. My new surgeon believes that I am "out of the woods" as far as mets goes. More power to us. We are the future. Some day, the harsh treatments that are dispensed now will be thought of as barbaric.

I will be having DIEP surgery to get rid of the DCIS. The thought of implants does not sit well with me. I'm not thrilled about having surgery again but I do feel that I should get the cancer out and then concentrate on taking care of myself so it doesn't come back. That is just what is best for me. Best of luck and be strong. But, being on this thread, I know that you already are among the bravest and strongest. Be well.

• Renya
    Renya Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2013
    Options

Hi all, haven't posted for awhile, I got very lucky and managed an extended stay with family in Italy, a wonderful experience.          So good to hear many success stories with the au natural...don't know what to add except looking back at Jan, 2011 when I was dx'd with DCIS/Stage 4 and told "Go home and plan your funeral", things have really changed.  Was furious for awhile, then came to realize maybe that was a good thing or I would have followed the medical "no win" path too misery.  I did the baking soda/maple syrup to start, along with Reishi/Maitake/Shitake Mushroom, Fucoidan, B17-Laetrile, BetanGlucan, Curcumin and several other good nutrients and of course got on a sugar free, whole foods diet.  Within 3 months all soft tissue free of the beast.  I had 9mm tumors in liver/lungs/thyroid, even a basal cell carcinoma on my scalp, invasion in ribs, pelvis, and spine.   Now - Kaput!   I was having difficulty with the spine and opted for cesium chloride, now that spot is shrinking, but all tumor markers still normal, below normal really, bloodwork, stats all perfect, I feel good, no pain...ate my way across Italy, but luckily the food is very healthy...well maybe not so much the marscapone desserts, but feel I earned them!   I have never had any chemo or radiation.  I opted for Laser Surgery to get the tumor out of my breast-no cutting, no blood loss or body fluids escaping with cancer cells to set up housekeeping in other areas of the body.  Now I see Laser Breast Clinics popping up in the U.S.  They are quite standard in Europe.  I feel that one decision (Laser) isi what brought me out of the dark and gave me a fighting chance, now seems victory is very close.   WE just have to stay focused and believe in ourselves.   Sadly, the friend who was Dx'd same week as me thought I was bonkers, she opted for the surgery, loss of all lymph nodes, chemo/rad/reconstruction and told "you are now in remission" - then 7 months later I attended her funeral, so I know my decision was the right one.  I've long believed that for every ill on the planet there is a cure.  Now my oncologist has no idea where to list me, who cares, I'm here and plan to be for quite a while longer. 

• Rumi1960
    Rumi1960 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    Options

Dear Ladies,

I posted here about my sister in law who chose alternative med after mets were found 8 months ago.

She is near death now due to refusal and blaming the doctors for her cancer. Mets were tiny and could have been treated immediately by radiation and oral meds.

Please do yourself a favor, educate yourself, all breast cancers are not the same, all treatments do not work for all.

Please find yourself a clinic that does both. Some treatments harm you.

She has been paralyzed, thin, and has had no quality of life since New Year that her back pain started.

Please educate yourself, do what doctors tell you and slowly move to the center. Each cancer is different based on the gene, how can a tea or a fruit fix everything?

Save your lives, approach with caution and do not buy the magic bullet theory.

• GreenGirl1
    GreenGirl1 Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2013
    Options

Renya, you are a true success story and an inspiration. Things happen for a reason. You were not treated conventionally and now you have a story to tell. Congratulations on taking the bull by the horns and being empowered. It is so important to know that we CAN help ourselves if we make a commitment to our health. You are walking proof of that!

• chef127
    edited July 2013
    Options

Rumi1960,

I'm so very sorry about your sil. Mets are a whole different thing. There is no conv cure and many woman are on chemo forever more to give them more time. Did she do chemo before her mets showed up? Like i've said its a crap shoot either way. I wish you and her peace and love.

Renya, Your email was very passionate and uplifting. I cannot phrase my experience w the laser surgery as you did, and it seems we've had a similar experience with it, before, during and after. Thank You. I hope you continue to do well. and please stay with us and share all your good news. I know I need to hear about it.xox

I've been on my new herbal TEA and the reishi mushrooms for a week now. Too soon to make an evaluation. But my big fat belly seems to be shrinking. I am petite and thin and that belly of mine needs to go. I otherwise have very little body fat but the belly fat does increase estro production and the TEA should be regulating that. I hope.

• milehighgirl
    milehighgirl Member Posts: 397
    edited July 2013
    Options

Here's an interesting article on the use of cabbage leaf poultices!  http://www.healingcancernaturally.com/testimonial-cabbage-leaf-poultices-unconditional-love.html

Sue

• SpunkyYooper
    SpunkyYooper Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    Options

I am not totally convinced that surgical intervention is what is best for me. I did agree to take Femara and it drastically shrank my tumor in less than 10 wks on the aromatase inhibitor. However, I am being urged to have a lumpectomy but no other option presented but removal of the nipple due to location of an invasive ductal cancer. I have drastically changed my diet and cut out all soy products and plant estrogens which has helped. I eat more antioxidants and fresh fruit and vegetables. I'm interested in research from the alternative medical community suggesting cancer can be stopped and/or reversed without surgical intervention. I guess I don't fit the totally non-standard treatment patient you're looking for, but think we share similar philosophies. I don't plan on following "standard BC protocol" after hormone therapy.

• chef127
    edited July 2013
    Options

Milehighgirl,

LOVE that name. Been there, done that...........once.

I had no idea cabbage had any healing properties. Interesting, but for BC?? idk. why not.

SpunkeyYooper,

Fascinating that that the AI's shrunk your tumor. How much did it shrink so far? It would be great if it disolved completely. I may rethink the AI's????? or not. I had Laser surgery for my BC. Its very percise and noninvasive. 2 surgeons wouldn't or couldn't do a Lx on my breast, Mx only. The Laser surgeon successfully removed the tumor, got clear margins and left me with my breast. It's a great option. Please stick around and let us know how it goes for you. Good luck

• HLB
    edited July 2013
    Options

I am doing a lot of alternatives but yes, the AIs definitely work and very quickly!

• jan2013
    jan2013 Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2013
    Options

check out the life extentions website, they helped me alot on what I should be taking. Also Susane Sommers has a book out called Knockout, it really is good for alternative med. views.

• jan2013
    jan2013 Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2013
    Options

Have you looked into Gerson therapy? they will teach you to do treatment your self at home. Its very time consuming and a little expensive but have close friends that went through it and if followed truely! it does work.

• brenmac
    brenmac Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    Options

Hi Renya,

I am glad to hear you are doing so well! Italy sounds wonderful!

I was wondering if you can point me in the right direction. I had a small tumor and my surgeon said that if I went with a mx or lx, I would still need radiation and 5 years of meds. If I did a bmx and the nodes were clear, I wouldn't  need treatment or meds. I chose bmx.

Then she sent me to the onocologist and she said nooooo, you need meds and maybe chemo. My reoccurrence rate came back in the "grey" area. I don't want meds. I want to go natural. Did you do this on your own or did you go to someone, or maybe read about how to do in in a book?

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,034
    edited July 2013
    Options

In addition to changing your diets, are any of you ladies who've been diagnosed with estrogen positive breast cancer changing any of the products you use on your body on a daily basis that are known to contain parabens? 

Some studies have shown that parabens can mimic estrogen.  There is much on the internet about it, here's just one such link:  What Are The Dangers Of Parabens In Skin Care? | LIVESTRONG.COM

I take the traditional medical route in dealing with breast cancer, also making some dietary changes.  In the past year, I've been replacing the products I use with paraben-free ones.  

I'm not sure many people stop to think about all the things they apply to their skin/bodies; I know I never really did. Here's a list of things I now use that are paraben-free:  sunscreen, shampoo, conditioner, hair gel, hair glue, bath gel, hand soap, hand/body lotion, make-up: foundation, blush, lip gloss, eyebrow pencil, eyeliner, eyeshadow, mascara, blush.

I hope you don't mind my asking the question, and if you just want to ignore my post, if you feel it's out of place, that's fine.  

• chef127
    edited July 2013
    Options

TheDivineMrsM,

This is really critical info. Thank you and tell us more. I didn't even know what parabens were til I got BC. I try to educate my girl friends and they look at me like I'm a health NUT, a bit over concerned. Why are we subject to all this shit, allowing us to slather on the very thing that may be causing havoc on our hormonal system? It took a BC dx to become aware. I sometimes see labels that say paraben free but never a warning stating"use at your own risk" or at least "contains parabens"where we can read it, or see it without a magnifying glass. Its hard to convince some people that this stuff is bad.

I do use natural soap and moisterizers, but almost never check makeup. Do you have online sources for paraben free cosmetics? Thanx for this great info...xox

• GlobalGirlyGirl
    GlobalGirlyGirl Member Posts: 77
    edited July 2013
    Options

I was weaning myself off of them, but I didn't know that many products contained parabens! Especially being a girly girl. :-) Thanks for the info, and I will be checking labels and changing! Kiss

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited July 2013
    Options

Yes i changed everything, including lipsticks, but clothes washing liquid is expensive so have gone back to normal for that one - non bio....

• chef127
    edited July 2013
    Options

Lily55,

If you google How to make laundry soap you'll find a formula, you'll need baking soda, borax and ivory soap. All cheap and natural, paraben free.

if you can't find it I'll try to copy it for you................xox

• HLB
    edited July 2013
    Options

I have been making my own laundry det this way. Borax, washing soda, fels naptha. It works great! Its easy to forget about skin care products but so important because our skin absorbs everything we put on it! Also taking a bath in epsom salts is a good wway to rid the body of toxins through the skin. Another thing that easy to forget about is plastics. Its very hard to eliminate them when you really start paying attention. I transfer things to glass as soon as I get them home from the store. I use mesh laundry bags for my produce. Its just little things but I figure they all add up. Recently the cafe where I work eliminated lids for the plates and bowls and they have a big roll of saran wrap for people to use. I was horrified! I will pass on the dioxins thanks lol. I also get soup at a close by grocery store at lunch and I keep a glass pyrex container in the car for that.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,034
    edited July 2013
    Options

I'm not sure many people stop to think about all the things they apply to their skin/bodies; I know I never really did. Here's a list of things I now use that are paraben-free:  sunscreen, shampoo, conditioner, hair gel, hair glue, bath gel, hand soap, hand/body lotion, make-up: foundation, blush, lip gloss, eyebrow pencil, eyeliner, eyeshadow, mascara, blush.

*** I wanted to add facial moisturizer to this list as well.

• jojo68
    jojo68 Member Posts: 336
    edited July 2013
    Options

Chef....Dr. Wong didn't mention resishi for me, but had said the mush blend I was taking was fine...now, i am wondering if I should order the reishi from his pharmacy...how much do they cost?  I noticed Ann Fonfa, who he treated successfully had taken maitake mushrooms and I ordered that tincture recently online.  I recently Wong again, i must drive him crazyFoot in Mouth, and asked about some pain I was feeling...he always responds with "Please dont imagine things to stress yourself, continue my therapy and you'll improve"...i just feel like I should be doing scans or circulating tumor tests to monitor/?  I have complete faith in him, I just get scared sometimes.  I take pau Darco along with his herbs and many other things...but, the Pau darco with Wong's herbs has completely healed my rosacea and now I have a glow to my skin...makes me think it is doing some great things to heal my whole body!

I wish I had know about laser surgery before my bmx and recon...i am scared to death this may have caused me future mets as I had nodes out and 7 were positive.

• chef127
    edited July 2013
    Options

I got rid rid of all my tupperware and replaced them w glass pyrex, pricey but they will last a long time.......if you don't drop it or put them on an open flame. They can go from the freezer to oven or microwave. Got rid of my microwave too. Boy do I miss the convience of that. Threw away all teflon and some nonstick cookware and only use cast iron, enamaled, & stainless steel. I have read some controversey re stainless and cast iron but come on. I don't have a brick oven or open flame for cooking. I need to be a LONG list ingredient reader but my eye's are failing even w a mag glass. If the ing list is short and sweet, buy it. Something that baffles me is if ingredients are removed or less processed shouln't they be less expensive? not double or triple the cost?

I'm trying to educate my DD of the toxins that we are all exposed to. I hope she is listening. Bought her a bunch of pyrex and told her to use vinager for cleaning. She is a girly girl and uses a ton of product. ????I'll have to take her shopping.

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited July 2013
    Options

Joellelee could you send me details of where you order your stuff please?

• chef127
    edited July 2013
    Options

Joellelee,

I 'm sorry I just read your post, 9 hours later. I have faith in Dr Wong also. He's been around the block w CA patients and deals with BC extensivly. When I saw him he highly recomended the reishi. Was it a new product that KamwoPharm wanted him to push after he saw you? I did research it and love what I read. Mushrooms are such an amazing food. If I were you I'd call him and ask why. I did have several issues besides the BC maybe thats what he was thinking?? MS related fatigue maybe the diabetes. Mushrooms are benificial for cancer though. The reishi are 35$/200 tabs, take 2 with 500mg vitc.2/day. I was taking Beta-1,3D glucan (mushroom based) and that was double the cost. or more. My main concern is balancing the hormones. Your right, we need to do some sort of scans or blood work to see if his TEA is working. I'm still fatigued, He said to give it time. I thought it was shrinking my belly fat but no its still there.

I gave him my long list of supplements and all he took  away was the aspirin. Blood thinner in the tea I guess. Do I still need the DIM? double whammy? I'm giving the tea at least 6 months. I asked him how long should I be on the tea and I didn't get a difinitive answer. 100$ a week is pricey but worth it if it gets me to healthy and normal, semi-normal at least.

curious, does it curb your appitite? I can drink it for b'fast and go several hours w/o eating. I'm liking the bitter flavor.I got a minor headache for the first week but no pains. Pain could indicate hormonal changes???? The first couple of days I had loose BMs. but only in the a.m.. I also developed a cough. clearing my lungs???

after the consult he said "I can help you" I hope thats not a generic term he uses. I have faith in him too. Did you go to Queens(yuk) or Manhattan to see him?

The laser surgery was great. I left these boards for a while (too much ridacule) when I came back I saw a PM from you inquiring about laser. Sorry I left. IF I should ever need a mx, thats the best way to go.

xoxMaureen

• jojo68
    jojo68 Member Posts: 336
    edited July 2013
    Options

Hi Maureen/chef...

I'm a little concerned on the inconsistencies as Dr. Wong told me I didn't need any of my supplements except curcumin, green tea extract and he HIGHLY recommended high quality Pau Darco. I specifically asked about the DIM and he said don't waste money as he has enough ingredients in his Herbals to cover my bases. I have lost weight which I'm happy about since he has me on his herbal tamoxifen. I also like the taste as well! I did go to Queens since he said he closed his Manhattan office. I'm so happy to be able to compare notes. His biggest advice he keeps giving me is to control my stress level which is very very hard for me.

• chef127
    edited July 2013
    Options

joellelee,

That is a big difference in recomendations. I "need all my supps' and you don't? My main concern is the hormone issue, any other benefit is a perk.  He told me he has had success treating MS, fingers crossed, the disease modifying drugs for that are expensive(2,000/mo) and there is no way of knowing if its working. Another pharma conspiracy?? I wish I knew what herbs he rx's to research them, I have no interest in making my own tea, the process is not so difficult and dr wong isn't giving me his formula. The herbs are boiled and then thier extracted. A friend of mine makes essiac tea from the original formula and it tastes a lot like the tea from the herb pharm. GW said its shit. ???

I find it a bit strange that he has no office. My guess is his protocal works and the pharma industry felt a bit threatened. He worked with them closely and was imbraced, spoke at the conference in San Antonio. We know how that goes. Silence the natural remedies. NO REAL $$$. He is low key for a reason. very LOW.  They shot him down. JMHO. Why isn't he fighting back..working like a drug dealer?

What blood work do you think would be relevent. CTC, estro levels????

Maureen...xox