Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone else out there choosing 100% Alternative?

Options

Comments

• jojo68
    jojo68 Member Posts: 336
    edited July 2013
    Options

Maureen, I'm going to PM you today about some personal info he told me and why he is a bit underground.

• chef127
    chef127 Member Posts: 226
    edited July 2013
    Options

OK........I'm on my way out for surgery on a hammer toe. should be back by 3 this afternoon. It will be more painful than my breast surgery.  Bring on the percs. NO! I'm not a druggie. Just a short vacation!

xox

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited July 2013
    Options

When my father was diagnosed with Stage IV pancreatic cancer, there was not even any Western Medicine methods to try.  Doctors said, "Too late for chemo" and my dad decided against anything.  However, in the meantime, I sought out Alternative Treatment Doctors anywhere and everywhere I could.  One I remember clearly, although his name escapes me - in Ann Arbor, MI.  It was almost spooky where we met him in an apartment complex.  He was an MD plus an herbalist.  My dad died within 4 months, but we gave it our best shot.  I never regretted it. although my dad probably did!!   He did it for his family!

Alot of these guys have to stay under the radar. 

I would not have the kind of courage you women do to go strictly alternative.  I admire your confidence and determination.

• jojo68
    edited July 2013
    Options

Chef...good luck and enjoy your vaca!!!!!!!Laughing

• jojo68
    edited July 2013
    Options

Chef/maureen...did Wong recommend coffee enemas to you and juicing or did you ask?

• chef127
    edited July 2013
    Options

He did not suggest coffee enema, but there are a lot of benefits to it to cleanse the liver. Mine is fatty so I should concider trying it. They can be addictive, and juicing is a no brainer. adding things like parsely, wheatgrass, and cilantro are very cleansing. He did suggest tofu, tempeh, and miso. ALL soy, but unprocessed.

No vacation for me. YET. the sedation has me nauseated.

• jojo68
    edited July 2013
    Options

Hi Chef...

Sorry you are nauseaus..hate that feeling.Undecided

He didn't suggest coffee enemas to me either, but when I brought it up. he got excited about it and how wonderful it is and recommended them twice daily...I have a partial fatty liver as well and I know the enemas would be great, just so afraid to try and figure it all out...LOL

I need to juice on a more regular basis.

he did not recommend tofu etc...just the raw grass fed organic lamb and a balanced diet.  I would be concerned with Tofu etc as it's not high quality here in the US...I have heard the fermented kind is beneficial?

• chef127
    edited July 2013
    Options

I believe tempeh and miso are fermented? Also kimche, fermented spicy napa cabbage. need to aquire a taste for it though. I tried to add it to a stir fry but the flavor took over the whole dish. Better as a condiment.

Re the coffee enema. You need to hold it in for about 10 minutes. good luck with that. I'm afraid to try, making a  mess in the tub. You can buy an enema table. Or go to a colonics place and they'll do it for you.

• fab1
    fab1 Member Posts: 43
    edited July 2013
    Options

Hi girls

I'm new to this thread but im keen to join as im looking for like minded girls who wish to go down alternative route. My story is I wad diagnosed in April, had lumptony and started chemo July the second I have six sessions. I've been adviced to go down the route of tamoxifine after chemo and rads. I'm determined not to go on tamoxifine. Are any of you opting out of this ad well?

• GlobalGirlyGirl
    GlobalGirlyGirl Member Posts: 77
    edited July 2013
    Options

fab1 - I declined Tamoxifen. Using DIM instead (natural alternative). Luckies to you! Smile

• Cuculi
    Cuculi Member Posts: 82
    edited July 2013
    Options

Hello! I have has surgery , I am in chemo now, the radiation and tamoxifen. I am determined not to go on tamoxifen. I am 36 and when I read the side effects on medical journals and read the testimonies of other women I am sure I can go natural... My homeopath will help...

Globalgirly, what is DIM?

• Eileen73
    Eileen73 Member Posts: 6
    edited July 2013
    Options

Hi everyone. Is there anyone who is    ER+PR+HER2+   stage2 grade3 and refused Tamaxifen & Herceptin and doing alternative treatment?

I had double mastectomy in May 2013. Now looking for alternatives. I am working with Dr. Wong-and not taking tamaxifen .

For alternative to  Herceptin still doing research.

Warm wishes

Eileen

• chef127
    edited July 2013
    Options

Hi Eileen73 and welcome.

Can't help you with the Her2/hercepton. Did you discuss this w dr wong? His herbs are a natural tamox. I also am not taking the hormone tx but I use dr wongs TEA. Balancing the hormones just make more sense to me, for me.

I am her2-but my ki67 is high, and oncodx is a 28. I'd love to hear about anything you learn about an alternitive for hercep.?

Did you do chemo?

ALL the best to you. Peace and Love..............Maureen

• flannelette
    flannelette Member Posts: 398
    edited July 2013
    Options

Hi I've been reading this thread lately and wanted to suggest 2 books I found interesting & helpful. One is published in Canada, written by Sat Dharam Kaur & called The Complete Natural Medicine Guide to Breast Cancer - a practical manual for understanding, Prevention & care. Sat Dharam Kaur is a naturopathic dr. and amazingly I found this book in the library of the breast cancer centre I attended & borrowed, then bought it.

Another is Breast Cancer - Breast Health! by the renowned american herbalist Susun Weed. (I might have made a mistake in the book name but the ist 3 words are correct) With Susun Weed you can at least find out how incredibly easy it is to make your own tinctures - way less $$ than buying them.

I did a combo of all the regular stuff, plus some homeopathy at surgery time & some tinctures (milk thistle) after each chemo. I also like making an astragalus tincture to boost immune, esp when comnig down with a cold.

some info might be out of date - both books at least 10 yrs old, but you might glean something from them......best!

ps funny story - the moment I suspected I had br ca but before mx I bought a heavy duty juicer, the grinder kind, and drank a bunch of almost pure cabbage juice, cruciferous veggies being high in  - is it DIM? anyways, don't do it! After 3-4 days I came down with total liquid diarrhea, much like what farmers spray on fields, which I told my dr about & she said it would take 6 weeks for my digestive lining to regrow and sure enough after 6 weeks the liquid turned to solid. However, during that time period I also had my MX - huge tumor 10 cm and the most aggressive possible - a 9 out of 9 on the? (hooliganism scale). Yet I had no positive nodes. This happened almost exactly 5 years ago. I have to admit, cancer decides what it wants to do...but I like to amuse myself with the br ca cells just giving up & dying as they couldn't stand the cabbage juice...

• chef127
    edited July 2013
    Options

Hi flannelette,

I love your avitar. So warm and fuzzySmile

Thanx for the book suggestions. I love older books, especially if the info is still around and stood the test of time. I hope I can find them.

I had no idea what a tincture is. I researched it and seems simple to do if you can find the herbs. Can you make green tea extract? I am going to try the process. thanx. But no cabbage tincture.lol

Five years w a 9/9 on the hooliganism scale.Laughing You rock. congrats. soooo cute.

Maureen...xox

• gamvu
    gamvu Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    Options

Hello Globalgirlie

Please tell me what does DMI stand for?

Thanks

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited July 2013
    Options

Flannelette, that is funny about the cancer cells fainting from the cabbage juice.

• chef127
    edited July 2013
    Options

I just read a bit about Susan Weed. Fascinating. She is passonate about herbs, alternitive medicine, has a great understanding of the female body and being, logic, right up my alley. I can't wait to learn more about her philosophy. She has a lot of good sense to offer.

I'm going to start with her book, Breast Cancer, Breast Health, the Wise Woman Way

So much more to learn

Thank You, flannelette..................xox

• flannelette
    edited July 2013
    Options

You're more than welcome. she also has a website I've never investigated much - and discussion threads - there may be some women on there discussing br ca issues...someone asked about a tincture..i thought back in this thread.

It is a way of preserving the medicinal qualities of certain leaves, bark, seeds, herbs etc in vodka or a higher-proof alcohol. So you might be buying milk thistle tincture at $28 a bottle (Canada) but can make heaps of your own by making it yourself by ordering organic milk thistle seeds  ( can't remember, could be roots) - and steeping them in glass jars of vodka. Same thing, except you know (if the organic farmer/herbalist is bona-fide) that you are getting what you paid for. There are, of course, very reputable tincture-makers out there, but if you have a penchant for these kind of home made things it's a project that's fun and will save $$.

Tinctures last virtually for years...I've kind of fallen off the wagon but I do have a bundle of organic astragalus roots (immune builder) sitting here waiting for vodka.......maybe could practice what i preach! Susun Weed has precise recipes. I have found that if I'm coming down with a cold, if I take astragalus tincture, vitamin c and (when I used to have it) reike& other mushroom mix from Japan, it would stop a cold in its tracks, but it must be done the moment you realize your throat is sore..

I also bought myself a bottle of astragalus tincture this year prior to my annual mammo cause last year my whole immune was in an uproar (I had had a horrific case of neurodermatitis and every lymph node was in warrier mode) & my mammo showed a new lymph node in my friggin armpit on the good side, & it was 1.2 cm rather than 1 cm. this lead to breast MRI, where they then found a lymph node 1.5 cm. This lead to the Summer of Tests - was it an occult new b.c. on the good side? had my left baddies jumped to the right? (almost never happens but my bc surgeon says he has seen it in his lifetime) and eventually to surgery for 6 nodes on the right side for dissection. Not to mention MRis etc of pelvis, abdomen, every bone in my body including my fingertips and both sides of my skull. Nope - not one little cell could they find.

So, though I figured that by THIS year both the dermatitis and the irate nodes were gone, if I had to go through this again......Yell so used astragalus tincture so no stupid(smart, from their point of view) nodes would show up where they are not welcome. Tincture probably not really needed by this time but still......was nervous.

• chef127
    edited July 2013
    Options

She, Susan Weed, really impressed me. I read a few exerpts from her books and watched Utube vidios. can't wait to learn!

I'm on a herbal conconction from Dr G.Wong for BC, hormones, MS?, and diabetes? It costs almost 100$ a week, ouch. He also rx'ed rieshi mushroom w vit c. The rieshi is pure powdered rieshi so I can make a tincture with them. Would a tincture be more benifical??? Is an extract a tincture? I recently met a woman who raises honey bees and sells honey, beeswax soaps, ect, and a Propolis extract. A couple of drops and i'm drunk, a lite wieght for sure. Next week I'm going to the Herbal Pharmacy in NYC to try and get an idea on what is in the TEA that I take now. Don't think they will devulge the formula. They sell chinese herbs in bulk and I think they are reputable. Been there for 40 years. I'll try the astragalus.

Happy to hear your lymphs are ok. Mine do the same thing when something is off. tyhey get enlarged and sore, Always have. At my last mammo I asked the radiologist to check my nodes with u/s and she saw nothing. But my + node never showed up either.

• milehighgirl
    milehighgirl Member Posts: 397
    edited July 2013
    Options

Has anyone come across information on the use of iodine or tried it?  Interesting article http://jeffreydachmd.com/iodine-treats-breast-cancer/

• abigail48
    abigail48 Member Posts: 337
    edited July 2013
    Options

charlotte gerson had said that cancer is caused by table salt:  I've not eaten salt much for that reason, however I do crave bread.  but sea vegetables containe iodine, & other good minerals I think, a better way to get that element (?)

• flannelette
    edited July 2013
    Options

Chef - I'm pretty sure there would be no benefit to making a tincture out of the powdered resihi - and you can't make tinctures out of a powder. the powder is already the real thing. Wouldn't you just pack that in a gelcap and swallow it? what are you supposed to do with the powder?

a tincture is way to get healing properties to come out into vodka and stay there, forever. Like, you could not chew or probalby even digest an astragalus root - you've got to get the properties into a form you can ingest - ie so many drops of the tincture in a bit of water, swallowed, so many times per day.

It seems to me the mushroom powder is already in an available form? Read more susn Weed to understand tinctures. I doubt that tinctures and extracts are the same. A tincture is medicinal properties held in high-proof alcohol. I don't know what an extract  is. something like "vanilla extract" i suppose is a vanilla bean that goes through some process to make it into a tasty liquid - but that is not what a tincture is. Herbalists have a whole vocabulary that is very precise, and well-established practices re what is a tea, what is an infusion, what is a tincture, etc. and how do you handle each individual herb or plant?

• abigail48
    edited July 2013
    Options

the mushroom forager I think is the site of a mycologist who has written of the ways to handle reishi.  It grows here in the summer, It's an annual.  I harvested one this year, a bit late, it was beginning to spore, ate bits of the others there when they were fresh & soft.  He tells how to make a tincture.  I broke up the mushroom & froze it.  now what, no idea, a powder would be good, some parts, the stem for instance were still white

• abigail48
    edited July 2013
    Options

he's talking about another mushroom:  saddle something, & making a broth from it, bet that would be good with parts of my frozen bits

• chef127
    edited July 2013
    Options

flannelette,

Thanx for that explanation. One of my faults. Impulsive. I'll go to the library and get whats available and then order the books. Reading is difficult for me due to nystagmus(rapid eye movement)sux. Time to dust off the kindle.  Vanilla xtract is a go to' fix' for alcoholics in a desperate moment so it is in an alcohol base. I'll put the brakes on my tincture experiments before I waste my time and money. Your right about the mushrooms, powdered in a gelcap. perfect form for ingesting.

Time to "powder my puff" and hit the library.

Maureen...xox

• chef127
    edited July 2013
    Options

Library does not have her books. This is a very metro, upscale, over priced town, where the property taxes are some of the highest in the country. good thing i'm now a renter..They can borrow them from near-by towns but I want to own the books anyway.(oh how I hate small talk) sorry...xox

• bluepearl
    bluepearl Member Posts: 133
    edited July 2013
    Options

CindyD: there's a reason you couldn't find anyone following your path. It's a bad idea. At least get the surgery. My girlfriend did only that and is a 7 year survivor (with an aggressive 2.5 cm IDC). Many times, surgery alone is a cure.

• chef127
    edited July 2013
    Options

Bluepearl,

I totally agree. Why leave in the tumor burden? Chop chop....all gone?? MO wanted me to do neoadjuvant chemo before the MX. It didn't make sense to me. If you have a complete response and the tumor shrinks and they still advise a MX then why the chemo first? Just cut it off without the toxic tx.

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited July 2013
    Options

Cindy D - can you share more about your diagnosis as lobular and ductal are different beasts.......then you may get mmore of the support you are lookingh for - have you had any further screenings since original diagnosis?