Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Comfort dogs

Options

Comments

• sciencegal
    sciencegal Member Posts: 546
    edited July 2013
    Options

Gritgirl I just saw your post about firing your dogs- you are so funny! Mine didnt say a word about my F-ing cancer either. But i love the stories of those that did!

RIP Romeo, Dulcie, Man, and the angel boston terrier!!

• slickchickie17
    slickchickie17 Member Posts: 78
    edited July 2013
    Options

Planetbananas: I forgot to wish you a warm welcome to our thread! Forgive me for being so self-centered, like everyone here, I have a lot going on right now. What an adorable smile the Boston on your avatar is wearing! What is his/her name?

Sgc728: Welcome, I'm glad you found us! Your story is very similar to mine, you should check it out! The condensed version is on here somewhere!

Bobogirl: I'm sorry your kitty Man is gone. My sweet girl Simone died 6/20/13...those darn cats, they wrap themselves around our hearts. Then they purr...

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited July 2013
    Options

I need to fire my furkids too - none of them said a word about my cancer - just kept the news to themselves!  But do they ever forget to tell me that my dh hasn't fed them yet - nooooo, they don't keep that info to themselves at all! (And they frequently lie about that one, too, getting two meals in the process.)  Tongue Out

• planetbananas
    planetbananas Member Posts: 109
    edited July 2013
    Options

OMG Slickchickie, thank you but it's not like you don't have anything going on :p

Still wishing you the best!

My avatar is my Jellybean. She is a rescue from a puppy mill and had no name, the woman who picked her up named her and said we could change it, but we decided not to, when she lays down she kind of looks like a giant bean! She loves everyone and everything, very sweet dog but likes having her own bed and space. She will sit by my chair for hours but is the first dog I have had that doesn't like sleeping in our bed. Well, I could go on and on about her....she is wonderful, very smart and easy to train. My other BT Star is the lapdog and cuddler.

• bobogirl
    bobogirl Member Posts: 2,083
    edited July 2013
    Options

Slickchickie, so sorry to hear about your sweet Simone and your faithful Romeo.  I think Romeo was your 'man!'  Mine was called Valentino, yours was Romeo... they are both so romantic!  :)

Yes, welcome, bananas!  I love your avatar pic too.  Jellybean is smiling!

Natsfan, that's an accurate depiction of what goes on around here..

• gonegirl
    gonegirl Member Posts: 1,022
    edited July 2013
    Options

Maybe I should get my dog vests for guide dogs and then ceremonially strip them of their rank.  That would serve them right.  Natsfan and sciencegal, perhaps you can do the same?  :-)

• SC60
    SC60 Member Posts: 403
    edited July 2013
    Options

Slickchickie - yes, we do have similar stories. I thoroughly enjoyed yours! You are in my thoughts and prayers and add me to your pocket.

Here's another comfort dog story.

In 2001 both my parents had cancer. I felt so depleted and sad that my hubby agreed to let me add a Great Dane puppy to the family. She was a very large Dane puppy. Well, my husband stole her affection and she quickly became his girl. She adored him so much that she would lay with her head on his lap and look at me like, " forget it b*tch, he's mine!" Seriously, I think she was plotting to get me out of the bed so she could sleep with him. I will admit she was actually loving to me when my parents died. In 2004 my husband had a heart attack. I should have known something was up because she would not leave his side, literally sleeping as close as she could get to him. While he was in the hospital, she was a mess. Wouldn't eat and lay waiting for his return. Once home she wouldn't leave him even to go to the bathroom! He had to tell her to go out with me and potty. I had to bring her food to her or she wouldn't eat! Roxxy stayed by my husband's side through another heart attack and recuperation from a motorcycle accident. My husband had to retire in 2004 because it isn't a good idea to have a firefighter with a bum ticker. She was the happiest dog ever spending her days and nights by his side. She was his angel and he was hers.

• planetbananas
    edited July 2013
    Options

Gritgirl, that is very funny, you can add my two to the 'fired/demoting' list!

Thank you, Bobogirl the pic shows her personality perfectly, that is why it is my favorite :)

Sgc that is a beautiful story, I totally believe in furry four-footed angels!

• rubylily2
    rubylily2 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    Options

hi everyone.  I'm newly-registered (yesterday) but am a long-time lurker.  Diagosed one year ago this month.  I've been gathering little bits here and there and just love the support everyon here has for each other.  I was drawn to this topic becuase I so am in love with my two retrievers, Ruby Tuesday (2 yrs) she's an english cream retriever (white) and Lily, who is my senior lady golden retreiver.  I have always been a lover of dogs and I was so glad to see that someone (many someones!) believe in the soothing healing powers of animals, in my case especially I find I am most calm and able to think when they are with me and resting next to me....love when they fight over my affection!  They do have souls, they do have intuition, and they do understand when we are struggling.  My Ruby is literally a dog who will sit at my feet, fiercely loyal, comes and sits even when i go to the bathroom just to be by me.  Takes her position leaning against me dhoulder to shoulder at the same spot on the couch every morning with my news and coffee.  They are so sweet - I just wanted IN on this little discussion.....cuz I get it....I SO get it:) 

• sciencegal
    edited July 2013
    Options

Welcome RubyLilly- your retrievers sound wonderful. They are such great dogs. Yours sound especialy wonderful. How is your treatment going? I laughed at your comment that Ruby comes with you even to the bathroom- that's my Lewie! Unless I am filling the bathtub and then he fears it is bathtime and magically disappears for awhile. haha.

Sgc I love the story about your "daddy's girl" great dane. Wonderful. What intense loyalty.

And as for the "mom and popping" to get two dinners- my dogs have that cornered- me, my husband, and my best friend who lives with us during the work week- all get the very sad, "isn't anyone going to feed us tonght?" eyes. They do not realize that we can verbally communicate of course. but sometimes it works!

gritgirl I like your idea of the demotion. My dogs do have "comfort dogs in training" vests (so I can take them into the office sometimes to see the crew- they love it so much) and they are not getting their cancer detection badge pinned on any time soon!

SLickchickie it is your big day. I know you won't see this until recovery but we are all there with you- in your pocket.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We - and Capone- await your return,

Hugs

• planetbananas
    edited July 2013
    Options

Slickchickie holding good thoughts for you today ♡

• bobogirl
    bobogirl Member Posts: 2,083
    edited July 2013
    Options

Thinking of you slickchickie!  I am also giving our Capone a big kiss on the nose right now XXX

• gonegirl
    gonegirl Member Posts: 1,022
    edited July 2013
    Options

Take it easy, slickchickie

• IngridJ
    IngridJ Member Posts: 46
    edited July 2013
    Options

Thinking of Slickchickie too.....

Sending hugs from Australia xxx

• sciencegal
    edited July 2013
    Options

And hugs from California! For both Slickchickie AND Capone the wonderdog.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 1,017
    edited July 2013
    Options

Thought the women on this thread would appreciate this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/19/schoep-dies-dead-john-unger_n_3623615.html   Comfort and love.

• sciencegal
    edited July 2013
    Options

Oh I know- I saw that old Shoep had passed away on the news this Am. I cannot even look at that photo of them in the lake without tearing up. What a great bond they had.

Raising a toast!

• sciencegal
    edited July 2013
    Options

Slickchickie, thinking about you. I sure hope you are doing okay.

Gentle hugs

• sciencegal
    edited July 2013
    Options
    >I Just posted this on the summer rads board but thought I would share here as well (cute dog story):

I have a blue frogtogg chilly towel for my breast/neck region that is getting zapped by the radiation, and a lime green one for my feet since I work for hours on my bed with a hot laptop. It is over 100 degrees here and the AC doesnt keep up all that well upstairs mid-afternoon.

Today was hilarious- Lewie laid close to me as usual, but on the edge of the designated foot frogtogg, loved it, and slowly it inched over to being "his". I covered him with it and he did not move for an hour.

SO, I guess I now need to buy a third. That one has been claimed!

Memory foam bed, his own chilly towel, me wrapped around his paw, no, he's not spoiled!
    :)
  • Mardibra
    Mardibra Member Posts: 194
    edited July 2013
    Options

Oh how I love my little cuddle bunny! Her name is Trixie and she is an 8 month old Shih Tzu and absolutely adorable. I have some scans coming up on Friday and I normally take Valium for those so I fully expect Trixie will be snuggled up next to me as I sleep of the meds. Don't know what I would do without her.

• sciencegal
    edited July 2013
    Options

LOVE your screen name Mardibra! GOOD luck with those scans.

Shih-tzus are So dang cute! My ToTo is a little black shit-poo (haha) - or so the vet says, I cant be sure since we adopted him from the shelter. But he has the short nose so I think it is true.

What color is Trixie? Did you have her as a little pup? Nothing is cuter, in my opinion.

• footprintsangel
    footprintsangel Member Posts: 35,657
    edited July 2013
    Options

I went to a new dr and found out she has allergie

from dogs, and then is leaving to her country and

will she me in a month. I have a new tumor in my chest

and it is growing. If You dont like dogs, dont become

a dr. Cause to me they are humans with 4 legs. think

about changing gave me no med refill either. Faith is

not understanding this, and can tell I am hurting. Dog

are humans and smarter then some Drs. Take care am

praying for You slickchickie.

• sciencegal
    edited July 2013
    Options

Footprintsangel I agree, if they dont like your dog and cant see you for a month when you are worried- ask for an appointment with a different doctor.

Not cool!

I am really, really sorry to hear that the tumor is growing. You need someone who will listen to you, not go out of town.

Be strong!

Hugs

• footprintsangel
    footprintsangel Member Posts: 35,657
    edited July 2013
    Options

Thanks, Faith has a new friend, 3month old kitten

named Hope and she is at my feet under the desk.

She sleeps with Faith, I still need her comfort and

help more though. She is having alittle jealous time,

so we take an extra walk.  Hugs and prayers Debbie

• sciencegal
    edited July 2013
    Options

Darling!!!!

I love it when dogs and cats can be good friends. So cute.

• Mardibra
    edited July 2013
    Options

She is gold/blonde with a black face, ears, and tail. Once I'm off the iPad I will post some pics.

Shit-poo....LOL

• sciencegal
    edited July 2013
    Options

Oh the cutest- I would love some pics when you can! Nothing cheers me up quite like a cute doggie photo.

• annika12
    annika12 Member Posts: 92
    edited July 2013
    Options

Love this thread..... love my dog!!! When my doc said to stay away from my animals, got lots of them I said NO not gonna happen if you want me healthy!!! My dog Hanna has developed a fear of phones. I think since I got the bad news of cancer and freaked out everytime I crab the phone she wines and licks my feet. Poor baby needs therapy after Im done. The peace love comfort she gives me is priceless :) Nothing much makes sense anymore but the simple snuggle of my friend!!

• planetbananas
    edited July 2013
    Options

Annika12 I had to give away my dear Senegal parrot that I had for 11 years but I drew the line when it came to the dogs!

• Mardibra
    edited July 2013
    Options