Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Comfort dogs

Options

Comments

• Mardibra
    Mardibra Member Posts: 194
    edited July 2013
    Options

Trixie....

Photo: My new summer doo!
  • Mardibra
    edited July 2013
    Options

Trixie chilling on the deck...

Photo: Trixie recuperating on the deck.
  • farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596
    edited July 2013
    Options

Hi ladies - glad to be back among the DL's. (dog lovers)

Gritgirl - Thanks for the tip re: potty training a puppy mill dog. Cindy Lou is doing better. We were on vaca for a week and she was fine w two complete strangers ( strange to her not me!) coming in to care for her. I have been trying to take her out every few hours and then give her a yummy treat when she pee pees outside. Hey, I even sing the pee pee song for her. She been using a pee pad or outside except the other day when she peed on the couch! Eek! I did NOT tell hubby about that. You can see her at okbr.org. When she gets adopted I think we'll take one of her sibs and do it all over again.

Mardibra - Love that Trixie girl!

Bigs hugs to all.

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596
    edited July 2013
    Options

Just getting caught up - SGC your dog detected your cancer as well!! I cannot believe that - two "lil" doggies detected BC in just this thread! Amazing! We need to form a BC detection company - instead of mammo's and MRI's we'll just use dogs. They probably would have a better track record. (pun intended!)

• planetbananas
    planetbananas Member Posts: 109
    edited July 2013
    Options

OMG Mardibra Trixie is adorable.....that little face!!!!!

• sciencegal
    sciencegal Member Posts: 546
    edited July 2013
    Options

Hi Annika- silly doctor. What are they thinking sometimes?? they forget about the mind/body connection and how important happiness from our fuzzy friends is to us through our treatment.

I am sorry about Hannah's phone fear. it is like Pavlov's dog but in reverse! makes sense if it rang and then you were upset.

Planetbananas i am so sorry about your parrot. That sucks!

• sciencegal
    edited July 2013
    Options

OMG I just now saw the pictures of Trixie- ADORABLE!!! I could never say no to that darling little pup. Thanks for starting out my day with a big smile!!!

• bobogirl
    bobogirl Member Posts: 2,083
    edited July 2013
    Options

If I had Trixie, she would be so spoiled she would have to be on one of those tv shows which feature terribly spoiled dogs... :)

Annika, my dog does the same thing with the phone!  I realize, through you, that it is because of my lunging to get it, and my general anxiety around it.  Our babies are trying to protect us from the phone!

• sciencegal
    edited July 2013
    Options

If only they could.....

hugs

• planetbananas
    edited July 2013
    Options

Thanks sciencegal, it was really hard. I thought it would was temporary through chemo but ended up 7 months. The dear people who fostered him bonded with him and then I had two major complications (severe reaction to Taxotere that had me on iv fluids/meds 3x week for 2 1/2 months, then infection and ongoing kidney function problems). It seemed intellectually the right decision but emotionally yet another loss. I try to focus on gratitude that he is in a great home.

So glad I still have my two BT's, they comfort me every day!

• Mardibra
    edited July 2013
    Options

Trixie is very spoiled! My little girl lives a better life than I do ;)

• bobogirl
    edited July 2013
    Options

Bobo eats off my fork.  As I hold a napkin under his chin.

:)

• Mardibra
    edited July 2013
    Options

Looks like Bobo lives better than I do too!

• bobogirl
    edited July 2013
    Options

Oh, he does.

:)

For instance, do your crunchies cost ninety dollars?  He has special allergy-free food.  Yikes!

• Mardibra
    edited July 2013
    Options

$90 bucks?  Wow...thank God im not paying that!  Although, I would if Trixie needed it.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited July 2013
    Options

Give that boy carrots and green beans!! Blueberries, watermelon.

But does he have a stroller? I caved and bought one for Spookie, but it's really for me, cause I don't want her to get stepped on, and 7# gets heavy after awhile.

I know he's really a big boy LOL

• bobogirl
    edited July 2013
    Options

Great idea!  I do feed him all four of those things!  But.. his limited ingredient food is still ninety dollars!

Wish I could have stroller for Bo -- he is 70 pounds, it would be funny!  He needs his walk, but I have no doubt he would ride in a stroller...

• planetbananas
    edited July 2013
    Options

I can relate Bobogirl. Jellybean has Cushing's disease so she is on a special low protein diet that is very expensive and some days her two meals cost more than what I eat! the good thing is she loves fruits and vegetables especially lettuce for some reason. But she won't eat things like radishes without salad dressing on them lol!

• bobogirl
    edited July 2013
    Options

Salad dressing!  That is so cute.

• planetbananas
    edited July 2013
    Options

It's pretty funny! I found out because I tried to give her a bite of a radish while I was making a salad and she refused to eat it but then when I was eating my salad she was sitting right by me and she ate one after another!

We should call her Mikey, for those of us old enough to remember the old Life cereal commercials where Mikey is the kid who will eat anything!

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited July 2013
    Options

My 2 love veggies and fruit. Right now publix has King if the West honeydew melons. So sweet and juicy, not crunchy like usual. Spookie about knocks it off my dish to get some. Raw cauliflower-gone

Bobo what brand do you feed him? Can you find it on line for less?

• sciencegal
    edited July 2013
    Options

Oh my goodness you all have such healthy dogs! I have offered mine all sorts of fruits ad veggies and they won't bite (no pun intended). They just slowly set them on the floor and then look at me with those big eyes like, "really???"

I do open a probiotic capsule on their food and sometimes make them rice and chicken with some carrots and peas- they will eat that but the veggie ratio cannot be too high or those bits will get left on the plates. Just like little picky kids.

Kudos to those who have healty eaters!!

• Mardibra
    edited July 2013
    Options

I'm trying to keep mine a healthy eater. She has never had people food...only Eukanuba. Let's see how long this lasts!

• gonegirl
    gonegirl Member Posts: 1,022
    edited July 2013
    Options

I love how they slowly lower the veggies to floor.

• IngridJ
    IngridJ Member Posts: 46
    edited July 2013
    Options

My dog, Coco, a big poodle, has learnt the art of self serve, doubtless having seen the kids at it... She will, in the depths of the night, climb up into the pantry, and do the same, demolishing a bag of croissants say, ready for the morning's breakfast.. Or whatever else.. She has even been known to raid the cereal packet..

Yes, I feed her, but as I said, she watches the kids and thinks she's one too!! She works in tandem with the cat, so maybe it's his influence..;))

• IngridJ
    edited July 2013
    Options

Never have the heart to get cross either.. Kids don't as well, they think it's sweet even if no treats for them...must say I can't get cross because it doesn't matter how high I put them up she still gets down??? Am too amazed to be cranky, maybe the cat knocks down??

The door is a sliding one so no probs there...

• Mardibra
    edited July 2013
    Options

Ya, let's blame it on the cat! LOL

• IngridJ
    edited July 2013
    Options

Will have to put some flour down and check paw tracks!!!!

I came home once to find the dog, cat and a poor hapless pigeon that must have flown in to the house without me seeing it prior to going out.. All three looked up at me; all three sat quietly staring at me.. Picked pigeon up with something and took it outside, seemed alive, managed to stagger off and head for a tree.. When I first walked in the door, saw feathers etc (imagine the fun the cat had with that poor bird) and foolishly I thought;

Oh no, coco has cracked and killed the cat!!! Mammm not likely.....

Cat is in control of course...

• sciencegal
    edited July 2013
    Options

haha those big poodles are TOO smart! Coco sounds awesome, when she is ready for breakfast, well, she's just ready!

I would blame the cat too, for sure!!!

Thanks for the story- started my day with a laugh.

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited July 2013
    Options

Too funny about Coco's self service.  Two dogs we had years ago, Boomer the cockerpoo and my soulmate Gypsy, managed to open the refrigerator one time while we were at work.  We had a dishtowel looped through the handle, and we think Boomer must have pulled it and somehow grabbed both ends, opening the door.  However it happened, they had a feast.  We had just gone grocery shopping, so the fridge was pretty full.  They devoured a couple of pounds of ground beef, a half pound of cheddar cheese, and half a dark fruit-type cake a friend had made, some leftover meat scraps, some bread, and a few other things.  They did not like the blueberry yogurt - that was opened up on the living room rug and left there.  These were not large dogs - Boomer weighed about 25 pounds and Gypsy weighed less than 20 - but they pretty much cleaned out the refrigerator.  Amazingly enough, they did not get sick, but both their bellies were totally distended and they groaned a lot that night.  There was a golf ball size piece of the cheddar left - Gypsy was so full that she couldn't eat it, but she didn't want Boomer to get it, so she carried it around all night, hiding it in corners so he wouldn't find it.  As you all say, it was so funny to come home to it was hard to be mad.