Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,583
    edited March 2017

Well, I may end up opting for the hysterectomy because dealing with a droopy uterus forever is going to be a pain in the 'you know where' Shocked! But the good thing is that there is no hurry, so I can decide the timing; which at least won't be until after an already booked beach vacation with my sister in June.

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008
    edited March 2017

Hugsto you, Nissa

• ruthbru
    edited April 2017

Happy Birthday to Nisa!!! Shop until you dropHappy

• octogirl
    octogirl Member Posts: 2,434
    edited April 2017

Happy BIrthday Nisa!!!

• Molly50
    edited April 2017

Happy birthday Nisa!!

• NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505
    edited April 2017

Thank you, thank you for birthday wishes! It was a fun day that started out with (in our home, almost mandatory) breakfast in bed followed by many fun moments and ending with dinner at my favorite Thai restaurant. So glad that no gift included a yellow top because from this photo Ruth, I can see yellow is not mycolor! Thank you for the gift of reminding me of those days spent with you and the other BC girlfriends in San Antonio - memories forever treasured.

Hugs to All, Nisa 💐

• hopeful82014
    hopeful82014 Member Posts: 887
    edited April 2017

Nisa & Molly - Belated birthday wishes! I hope your new years are off to a great start.

Happy Easter to all who observe.

(Edited to correct auto-corrected name.)

• octogirl
    edited April 2017

Hi all: checking in here too...it was a very busy March and April has been just as busy! Can't believe it is half over....I am doing mostly well, edging closer and closer to retirement in June. In the meantime, I am dealing with health issues (mostly) unrelated to bc: the biggest being that my ortho doc says both knees to be replaced. He doesn't think Letrozole was a major factor (another orthopedist told me ten years ago that they'd have to be replaced eventually, due to then moderate, now severe arthritis) though it could have sped it up.....I am planning to do the first one in the fall. Luckily, my insurance doesn't change when I retire: DH, who isn't retiring, works for the same employer I do, and has the same plan, so I will just go on his......

Sending good thoughts to all!
    Octogirl

• ruthbru
    edited April 2017

Octo, my unscientific thought has always been that anti-hormonals don't usually cause problems themselves, but do speed up problems you would have had later on as your estrogen declined naturally. Alas! Have you tried cortisone shots and/or that gel (is it called rooster comb?) they can shot in? DH, whose knees are bone on bone, has had great success with the cortisone shots (I am now knocking on wood).

Happy Passover/Easter/Spring to All!

• octogirl
    edited April 2017

Hi Ruth: Tried the rooster comb stuff years ago, it did nothing for me. Yes, the doc recommended cortisone until I schedule the surgery....so I scheduled my shots (in both knees!) for mid-May, because I leave on a big trip towards the end of May (I am taking a big vacation and then retiring when I get back :-)), and I wanted to have maximum value from the shots during the trip. I asked him if he would consider shots now and in May but he was reluctant (every three months is apparently the standard? How long do your hubby's last?) so I decided to hold off....My knees are also bone on bone, so good to hear he's had good luck so far...

• ruthbru
    edited April 2017

I'd get the cortisone now. Why be in pain?! DH's shot has, so far, lasted for 7 months and counting! We had been talking about going to DC, but last summer I said, "There is no way that you will last with all the walking around on the hard floors of museums etc. etc.etc." and we dropped the conversation, but he has been doing so well since the cortisone (which he got at the end of August) that I just booked tickets for DC this coming fall!!

• NisaVilla
    edited April 2017
    I am here to celebrate with y' all my 4th anniversary since BMX! 💥💥 💥💥 My surgery-sister, mjgumbas, is also celebrating her 4th on Tuesday. Happy Anniversary to You! 💐💐💐💐 At year one, I chose dinner at a restaurant for a specific menu (paella) in a town not far from us. Turns out we didn't like the paella that much but since we went there on such a special first cancerversary, now we keep going every April 24th just to keep tradition. Wishing health to each of you!

Hugs, Nisa
  • mjsgumbas
    mjsgumbas Member Posts: 323
    edited April 2017

Nisa - you beat me 😂 Wishing you continued health and decades more surgery anniversaries ❤️ Thank you for remembering me!!! I love that you keep your tradition!! Enjoy your dinner and special time!! I reflect on everything that we shared, what seems like a lifetime ago and thank you - and all the wonderful women here - for such tremendous support!!! Although I won't get to have my favorite Mexican dinner tomorrow, we have a surprise dinner for a dear friends 50th birthday, so I'll get to celebrate another day! Any excuse for a margarita!!

Enjoy Nisa!!! Much health!!!!

Mary Jan

• Molly50
    edited April 2017

Happy cancer free anniversary Nisa and MJS!!

• ruthbru
    edited April 2017

Happy Anniversaries, ladies. Eat, drink, and make merry! HeartHeart

• hopeful82014
    hopeful82014 Member Posts: 887
    edited April 2017

Nisa and Mary Jan, congratulations! I hope the memories of the tough times are fading and being supplanted by happier experiences. Many more cancer-free years to both of you.

• NisaVilla
    edited April 2017
    Thank you friends! I couldn't keep my tradition because the restaurant was closed (as in gone). We instead had a wonderful Thai dinner filled with fantasies and plans to visit Thailand one day.

Your turn today to dance and treat yourself extra kindly Mary Jane! 💥💥💥💥 When you hear the "happy birthday" song for your friend, my voice will be among them singing "happy fourth birthday" to you! 💐

Hugs to all, Nisa
  • mjsgumbas
    edited April 2017

Thank you Nisa! And all you wonderful ladies!! Our plans changed so I get to go have my huge margarita and shrimp diabla!!! So excited!

Thank you again and continued health to everyone here!!! ❤️💝❤️

Mary Jane

• opt4life
    opt4life Member Posts: 111
    edited April 2017

Mjs and Nisa, Yeah ladies! Made my day. I was going to post a monthly update but your 4 year anniversaries say it all. Thank you both for sharingyour inspirational journeys.

Many continued blessings to you both!

• ruthbru
    edited May 2017

Hi ladies, I am doing my May check-in a little early. I hope that spring has sprung where you live! It finally has here and is is my favorite time of the year. Everything turning green, budding out, flowering, and it's not too hot or too cold.

Since it is the end of the school year, I have been doing lots of subbing; which is fun for me. I love the kids/teaching/school atmosphere stuff with none of the meetings or paperwork!

I had my annual oncology check-up yesterday. I have a new oncologist (#3) who is also a hematologist, which I think is good. My platelets have been low, and never bounced back, after chemo. I've always asked about it but neither my other oncologists or GP were at all concerned. This guy said that, although they weren't in a dangerously low zone, he would like to keep monitoring them twice a year (as there is actually treatment for that). He still wants to see me once a year (I thought maybe I'd get dismissed), and since I plan my general physical & that appointment 6 months apart, that will work fine. So that is that. He would not give me any hysterectomy advice (as he said, "I have absolutely no expertise in that area.. My advice would be like flipping a coin"). I think I will take a friend who is a PA, a woman, and has had a hysterectomy, out for lunch, show her my information and see what she says. Sigh.

Happy Mothers Day to all moms, aunts, teachers, and mentors!!!

• Molly50
    edited May 2017

Ruth, I am happy you like your new MO. What's your thinking for considering a hysterectomy?

• ruthbru
    edited May 2017

I am going to tell you my possible hysterectomy story because I would really like any input anyone can give me. Skip if it is TMI!

28 years ago, I had a really bad forceps delivery, which created "significant scarring". When I had my own estrogen & was on HRT it was not a problem because the estrogen kept all the scars moist and soft. Fast forward to no HRT (of course), Arimidex, and now just old lady lack of estrogen, and the scars have thickened and become ropy. They are dragging down the uterus & one of the vaginal walls (the one connected to the bladder) in what is called 'pelvic relaxation'. There are 4 stages of 'relaxation'. 0 means everything is where it's supposed to be, 4 means nothing is where it is supposed to be. I am at a 2, which is annoying but not serious (I do everything as usual. It feels like I have a ping pong ball inside me & I have to poke the vaginal wall back in place a couple times a day). There is 50/50 chance things will stay as they are & the same that things will continue to drop. The gynecological surgeon I consulted in March (and really liked) suggested that I wait and see if it got worse, or if it bugged me enough to have surgery. So there you have it:

Pros of surgery: Not having to deal with it anymore, doing it when I'm younger (than I will ever be again) and healthy would give me a better chance of a quick & complete recovery, no uterus is one less place that could get cancer

Cons of surgery:surgery always has risks and does not always go as planned, might create other problems, the down time etc. wondering if I am jumping the gun since the surgeon wasn't at all pushing for it.

Any comments very welcome!

• Molly50
    edited May 2017

stage 2 prolapse isn't bad unless it bothers you. Some women can't live with it and some do fine with stage 4. I currently have stage 3 bladder and small bowel prolapse. I had a hysterectomy with repairs done in 2011. I would do it again with no question because it improved my quality of life. However, it's a big surgery. If you can keep your cervix it's an easier recovery but with prolapse it's not always possible.

Go to Hystersisters and read through both hysterectomy recovery forum and pelvic floor and bladder issues forum. Read the articles. It's the BCO equivalent for hysterectomy. I have been a member since 2011. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

• ruthbru
    edited May 2017

Thanks Molly!

• Tpralph
    Tpralph Member Posts: 281
    edited May 2017

I haven't had one yet but would opt to get cervix out. that means no more paps!

most surgeons take it out as well anyhow.  like what was said to you, its all about your QOL and how much it bothers you. sounds like it does. most women have successful surgeries

• mjsgumbas
    edited May 2017

Ruth - I had many ovarian cysts since I was a teenager and 1 that ruptured when I was 17. Ended up with a huge scar on my belly because of it. . I was actually scheduled for another surgery with a large cyst when BC was diagnosed. Shortly after my 2 BC surgeries I pushed for a hysterectomy (based on my issues and some family history with femal cancer) and had it done at 41. For me it was the easiest of my 4 surgeries in 9 months and knock on wood no issues. I know there are many potential risks and can still have problems in the future, but like you said, 1 less place for C to get to. I still have to do yearly paps because I had cervical pre-cancer cells for a few years before BC....that sucks.

Wishing all of you wonderful ladies a very Happy Mother's Day! Hope you can relax and be pampered!!!

• ruthbru
    edited May 2017

I downloaded the Hystersisters book about hysterectomies (of course, reading about surgery makes me NOT want to do it) and also downloaded another book by a doctor that looked interesting, so I will read that too & take all my information to my PA friend for her thoughts. Since there is no hurry to make a decision (except in my own mind), I know I should take my time & try to get some clarity before proceding or not. Thanks for all tips and thoughts, which are very helpful.

Happy Mothers Day to all moms, aunts, mentors of young people, and those who provide motherly care to others regardless of age! Heart

• NisaVilla
    edited May 2017
    Happy Mothers' Day 💐to all who do the work of mothering in so many ways and not only raising kids, including the moderators on this forum!

I wish I had something to offer Ruth. I still have those body parts but would not hesitate to give them up if it would permanently solve a problem. And that knowing anesthesia and I did not get along at all in the last 2 surgeries.

I am all confused as to when we do our check-ins but will do mine next time. Today is about celebrating each other!

Mary Jane - when exactly is your wedding, and how ready are you?! Exciting times!

Love, Nisa
  • opt4life
    opt4life Member Posts: 111
    edited May 2017

Wishing all of you the very best day!

• mjsgumbas
    edited May 2017

Nisa - the wedding was April 1st...now getting ready for our honeymoon in Bermuda in 10 days! Very excited! Just got the pictures from the photographer. Here's a few of my favorites! We had a blast!!!

imageThe bottom picture Marty's Mom is on his right my parents on on my left, my daughter is in the blue dress (5 months pregnant), my son in the teal tie and my 35 year bestest friend is in the pink. It was a very casual beach themed wedding, which our friends truly appreciated! We started at 6 and ended at 2am.... and danced all night!!! In the top picture the peacock in the back row is my brother lol

Hope everyone had a great Mothers Day!!