Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• hopeful82014
    hopeful82014 Member Posts: 887
    edited March 2017

Siciliana, I hope you came out of today's appt. with your oncologist feeling encouraged and respected and maybe even a little bit hopeful.

• siciliana
    siciliana Member Posts: 61
    edited March 2017

Met with my MO today, but the Oncodx is not back yet due to the insurance co. asking questions and probable gearing up for a denial. MO says they will appeal if that happens. But unless my Oncotype comes back in the low range, he is recommending at least 12 weeks of chemo based on the positive lymph node. So I am slowly coming to terms with the ever greater likelihood that Chemo is in my future. He thinks my score will probably come in middle range since my PR was only 10 percent positive. ER is 99 positive. He said it is better to fight the cancer now while there may only be a few stray cells, than to wait until there is a recurrence when it is much more difficult.

• hopeful82014
    edited March 2017
    I hope you will get your score soon so that you will be able to start making whatever plans and adjustments (including psychological) that you need to. Being up in the air is the pits. And I really hope you don't have to deal with an insurance issue; you've been through a lot and that is the last thing you need right now (or ever).
  • mjsgumbas
    mjsgumbas Member Posts: 323
    edited March 2017

Hi all! Just thought I would share a cute picture from our "engagement session " - since we've been together 12 years we really didn't want to do them but I am glad we did!! This is our favorite 😊image

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,583
    edited March 2017

That is darling!!!!!!

• octogirl
    octogirl Member Posts: 2,434
    edited March 2017

Love the photo and congratulations, mjsgumbas!

• hopeful82014
    edited March 2017
    What a great photo! Thank you for sharing your happiness with us.

PS - Is that your road bike? What make? It looks like a lot of fun!
  • NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505
    edited March 2017
    Congratulations! 💥💥 Love this photo, and both of your smiles: 12 years together and so happily together! Can't wait to meet in your person one day surgery-sis!
  • siciliana
    edited March 2017

Very cute, happy picture! Living your life!

• hopeful82014
    edited March 2017

Siciliana, any word yet on approval for your Oncotype or are you still in limbo?

• siciliana
    edited March 2017

Hi Hopeful! Yes, my Oncotype came back as a 20, with little or no benefit from chemo, about 0 to 2 percent. So no chemo for me. Very relieved, although it does make me wonder what my options would be if I get a recurrence. The report said my recurrence risk is 12 percent.

• hopeful82014
    edited March 2017

That's great, S. I'm really glad to hear that. Is it on to radiation next?

(My score was the same - the report quoted 1-3% likely benefit. I think about recurrence, too, of course. I do realize that what options might be offered would depend on so many currently unknown factors that I'll just have to deal with it if/when. This is NOT my natural tendency!)

• mjsgumbas
    edited March 2017

Siciliana - I scored a 12 and same 2% difference in risk of reoccurrence vs chemo. Still makes me wonder if I shouldn't but I guess you just have to trust the science.

That's our new Harley Ultra Limited - I LOVE it! It has a very comfortable throne for me😂 It was my idea to get a new bike and retire our 2002 Ultra Classic. I wanted peace of mind for long road trips. Going to ride down to Nashville this year for bike week... 8 hrs nonstop (but we will stop) so that'll be a true test of my throne lol.

Nisa - we will have to meet so you can ride!!!

Wishing everyone well...going to work on our table assignments - ugh... I didn't want to do it but I had to compromise lo

• hopeful82014
    edited March 2017

I thought that looked like a Harley. I had the fun of riding (in tandem, like yours) along the east coast of Australia on one a few months before I was dx. I was really nervous beforehand (only 2nd time on a motorcycle) but it was a complete and total blast. I can totally see why people get hooked on them! My driver was a real enthusiast, too, with thousands of hours on his bike. He's even taken it to the States to Sturgis several times - can you imagine what the shipping costs????. His professionalism and love of the ride were amazing.

I'm sure doing seating assignments is pretty boring compared to being out on the road!

• mjsgumbas
    edited March 2017

Hopeful - that sounds amazing!!!!!!!! There is something about the rumble of the pipes and breeze in your face that can't be duplicated!!! I can't image the shipping costs to Sturgis!?!?!?!? Crazy! We planned a trip there in 2013 and then the bottom fell out with surgery and such. I only got on the bike 1 time that year and it was rough - anxiety was awful. But now that some time has passed and I feel great again, I love to ride. Our riding season in IL can be short because of weather, and we are itching to get out. Hopefully soon Mother Nature will cooperate!

• hopeful82014
    edited March 2017

Yes, it truly was amazing. In some ways I still can't believe I got to do that!

I can imagine your riding season is short. I hope it starts soon and run long this year! In the meantime, since you're making such good use of the indoor time and working your way through your wedding checklist you can feel ultra-proud of yourself,right? ;)

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008
    edited March 2017

mjs, congratulations. Great picture.

• mimioleary
    mimioleary Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2017

I am new here and so happy to read so many posts from women who got through this and have gotten back to a somewhat normal life. My tumor was 4.8 centimeter, grade 3, ER/PR +, Her2 -. I had a double mastectomy in December and I have just finished four rounds of AC and started taxol yesterday. After 12 weeks of taxol I will have radiation. It has been frightening, frustrating, and eye-opening. I am lucky to have great family and friends to help get me through this, but I just hate having my life on hold.

I'm glad I found this group. It is a reminder that I WILL get through this treatment and move on.

Mimi

• ruthbru
    edited March 2017

Welcome, Mimi, treatment is a totally frustrating/scary/maddening time. It is impossible to believe when you are in the middle of it, but it does for the most part, eventually fade into the background.....to me, kind of like childbirth in the sense that I remember it was very painful, but I don't remember the pain itself. Hang in there!

• mimioleary
    mimioleary Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2017

Thank you!! I know that "this too shall pass" but sometimes it seems like forever since this journey started.Happy

• ruthbru
    edited March 2017

We do know!!! Heart

• Molly50
    edited March 2017

Welcome mimi! Sorry you need to be here. This group is really a lifesaver. It is hard to imagine but after 21 months since diagnosis, 5 surgeries and radiation I am at the end of this journey except for my regular MO and BS visits! When you are in active treatment you think this will never come but it does! I am still wrapping my mind around the concept of not having any more surgery!!!!

• ruthbru
    edited March 2017

Hi ladies, it's the end of the month already and is almost feeling 'springy' here. My March went fast; I subbed quite a bit, and we babysat the grand-puppy for a week while DS was out of town ( a very sweet dog, and VERY busy!). I had my consult with the gynecologist about my prolapsing uterus; which was very interesting. There are four stages of prolapse. 0 means everything is where it should be and 4 means...yikes, nothing is where it should be! I am at 2.....so his recommendation was to wait and see. There is a 50/50 chance that it won't get any worse. If it does get worse, or if it bugs me too much; then I just have to call & he will set up a hysterectomy at my convenience. I was totally thinking that surgery was going to happen, so am feeling rather surprised and unsettled. I have a trip planned in June so I guess I will wait until after that to make any more decisions. Fun, fun......

• opt4life
    opt4life Member Posts: 111
    edited March 2017

Howdy ladies,

Ruth yes the end of the month came so quickly. Where did the time go? But thank the Good Lord, I will take all the time I can get!

Mjs, look at you ...wow 😊 you both look wonderful. Happiness is truly a blessing! Wishing you many, many more years of JOY...

Mimi, sorry you have to join us but you will certainly find all the support you need here. I know I did/do.

I am doing pretty well...my daughter is heading to high school so her last year of middle school with all its drama is starting to overwhelm me a bit. But it will be over soon enough so trying to stay in the moment.

Still busy working and volunteering and managed to tie myself to chairing/co-chairing 3 different events all in the month of June. Yikes!

My 50th birthday, God willing, is in July so it will be a rockin good time of rest and relaxation on a beach. What beach?...I don't know. But some beach, some where will be hosting me and my family!

Peace and blessings to all

• ruthbru
    edited March 2017

Opt, I LOVE a beach vacation and go on one every year. I missed the summer of the year I was doing treatments; and the next summer I cried like a baby when we got there. I was SO happy!! Oh yes, middle school girls are VERY dramatic! Loopy

• Molly50
    edited March 2017

Checking in. I am recovering from exchange surgery. Doing really well and anxious to return to work. Tomorrow is my birthday. My gift is new boobs and the end of the surgery road. First time in 21 months I'm not waiting for the next surgery!

• ruthbru
    edited March 2017

Happy Birthday, Molly!!!!!

• grandma3X
    grandma3X Member Posts: 297
    edited March 2017

Checking in. I had fat grafting 2 weeks ago and recovered quickly. Will need to wait several months to see how much of it is re-absorbed. Other than that, life is busy. DH and I went to our new camp in upstate NY last weekend, where I painted and worked on some computer programs for work and he installed a security camera so we can check on things when not there. It's mostly so we can see what the weather is like and if we need to call someone to plow the driveway before heading up. I am looking forward to summer and spending more time outside.

Happy Birthday, Molly! I'm glad you are doing well after the exchange :)

• Molly50
    edited March 2017

Thank you, Ruth and grandma! I had a wonderful day. PS post op tomorrow.

• NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505
    edited March 2017
    Hi Friends. Checking in. March flew by and days and sunsets in SoCal are beautiful this time of year. This weekend went to see the "super bloom" - truly an amazing display of wild flowers. No health news and on standby till September. About 80% of the time is an easy wait. Don't ask about the 20%. Some days I think I should be doing more, but I'm sticking to decision of no more second opinions. My work is way too busy for this time of year; it is only March and I'm ready for a vacation. Happy Birthday Molly! Congrats for new boobs, and also to Grandma for being done with surgeries🎉 Opt - good luck with transitioning to high school: not easy for kids or parents. Ruth - yay to no surgery! Mimi & Siciliana, when discouraged re-read Ruth's posts. I think she summarizes most women's experiences with BC in a way that makes it feel doable. Can't think of anything else, almost mid-night here. So tired. Good night!! 💤