Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• runor
    runor Member Posts: 1,615
    edited June 2017

There are so many threads on this site that it's hard to know where to post!

I am stage 2 as well.

I have been noticing that some people get AC-T chemo and others just get the CT. I am pushing for the CT because I have a family history of bad hearts and A seems to carry a known risk of being hard on hearts. I wonder what makes one person get AC-T and another get just the CT?

I do want to avoid chemo, the thought scares me to death. Needles, picc lines, ports (rolling on ground gagging and clutching arms to my chest). The very idea of piccs and ports makes me have a full body convulsion. Like coming out of a lake and finding a leech - then you dance the funky chicken while screaming. That's me and needles. So for me chemo is going to be hell on a psychological level too. (cause I am needle phobic!)

But I'm afraid if I DON'T need chemo then I'll wonder if maybe I didn't go at this cancer with guns ablazin?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I wish health and healing to all those who find themselves members in this bewildering club!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,583
    edited June 2017

Runor, I will try to tackle your question; but remember that we are not doctors so can only speak in general ways, not about what specifically anyone else should do.

As far as getting AC & T goes; people who are triple negative are usually recommended to do all three because that is it, they can't take anti-hormonals to reduce their recurrence risk. People who are stage 3 would generally be recommended to have more chemo, as their risk recurrence is high, and two other reasons I can think of that might warrant doing ACT would be if you are very young and/or have a strong family history. Maybe it would be recommended if someone says they are going to refuse taking an anti-hormonal. With your stats, if that is what they recommend, you should ask why and make sure their answer makes sense for you.

I think CT is often recommended today (again if AC is recommended, ask why; there might be a good reason, but you will want to know it). Back when I was diagnosed, AC was the standard of care. I was worried about it too because heart disease runs rampant in my family, but I have maintained a healthy weight and exercise like crazy (even during chemo), so I came out with no heart issues.

If you need chemo, get a port. Even though it is gross to think about it, it will save you from dealing with all the needle stuff (that all totally freaked me out too).

My advice is to do what is recommended now and give yourself the best chance of never, ever, ever having to deal with this again!

• opt4life
    opt4life Member Posts: 111
    edited June 2017

Hello ladies, can't believe I missed the end of the month check-in. Time is flying. Hope you ladies are well/doing the best you possibly can. God bless you

Can't believe my 2 year diagnosis anniversary is fast approaching. Had my 2nd 6 month check-up/mammogram since finishing treatment. No change...I'll take it. Still on PALLAS trial and stable bloodwork there. But knees are shot--creeky and cranky. Had me avoiding my Aromasin for two weeks. Didn't change a thing and my oncologist gave me some serious side-eye when I admitted it. But quickly prescribed some rubbing gel that has helped tremendously so back on my AI.

Will hit the big 5 and 0 in a couple months. Glad to see 50 honestly...praising God for the many blessings despite all! Heading to the beach in late July...no phones, no computers, no WiFi. Just my darling family and their love.

Take Care

• ruthbru
    edited June 2017

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008
    edited June 2017

Opt, I give you credit for admitting that it doesn't help being off Aromasin. I would love to stop these dastardly pills but it's way better than anastrozole. Happy almost 50th!

Ruthbru, that's lovely!

• bravepoint
    bravepoint Member Posts: 232
    edited June 2017

ruthbru - Just curious what % ER + you are and if you took/take AIs? I'm just 3% ER+ and supposed to start Letrozole. I'm stalling til after a bone density scan next week....

• ruthbru
    edited June 2017

I was 'mildly positive' (11%-25%), and yes, I took Arimidex for 5 years. I didn't really have any problems but with the low numbers, I didn't feel any qualms about going off it after 5 years either.

• bravepoint
    bravepoint Member Posts: 232
    edited June 2017

Thanks ruthbru! I want to do everything I can to beat BC so will definitely start the Letrozole next week. If I don't have bad SEs, I may be on it for 10 years.

• klt5817
    klt5817 Member Posts: 32
    edited June 2017

Hello Ladies,

My mamprint result came back “high
    risk”. So, my MO strongly recommended chemo, then hormone therapy.
    I was hesitant but the science woman in me won over. Just 4
    infusions of TC, 3 weeks a part he said. If I start the 1st
    infusion on June 15the, then I'll be done with the 4th
    infusion on August 17th. So hopefully I will be well
    enough to travel to Colorado Springs on Aug 31st to attend
    parent weekend at the Airforce Academy with my son. My MO thinks I
    should be fine for the trip. His RN will conduct a Chemo 101 class
    this Monday 6/12, so I'll be there with my notebook.

Wish me luck.

• ruthbru
    edited June 2017

Good luck to both of you, klt and Gail. I think you are very smart to be following the science! Keep us up to date. Heart

• Tpralph
    Tpralph Member Posts: 281
    edited June 2017

So just got my PICC line in. Very tender with lots of blood around it. Told was normal. Had bone scan today then sent to radiologist right after for results. I was worried thinking it must be bad if they r sending me to see him. But no. He said I have great bones and no sign of any active disease! So NED of bones anyhow. Have lung CT tomorrow and now worried about that. Will be a huge relief if that is ok. Then I'll be on to chemo on Wed first dose and hopefully another part of this terrible dream is over

• NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505
    edited June 2017
    TPRaplh - sounds like you are at a major medical center if you can see a radiologist right after getting a PICC line, and that is a great thing because you have so many eyes on you monitoring your every step. Why PICC and not a port? New developments in science? May chemo do all that is does so well in most cases. Have you seen the thread where you can find a "chemo buddy" ? Good luck Wednesday and keep us posted.
  • Tpralph
    edited June 2017

Nisa. No didn't know the forum for chemo buddy will check that out. Which heading is it under?

Here in Canada they usually go with PICC if they expect no complications of 4-5 months chemo I guess.

• HoneyBeaw
    HoneyBeaw Member Posts: 150
    edited June 2017

TPRaplh

Sorry we had to meet this way

Your dx is almost exact to mine, Except I ended up with a single mx left and no plans for reconstruction at this time. I hope all your test come back good. I understand how nerve racking it can be as I just finished up with several this past week . I wish you well , Take care of yourself .

Huggs

• NisaVilla
    edited June 2017
    TPRalph - If you go to the forums drop down menu, one choice reads Chemo Before, During and After (or something like that). There you will find people starting chemo threads by the month, and you just start posting there and soon you are besties with those women. We are still here for you so don't disappear! :) Hugs, Nisa 🌷
  • Tpralph
    edited June 2017

Honeybeaw. Yes our stats are alike! Always nice to find someone else in same boat.

Hope all your test results are good as well.

Are you finished chemo?

Nisa I did sign up for that forum ty

• ruthbru
    edited June 2017

Hi ladies, doing my June check-in. Thinking of everyone in active treatment. Get through it and start planning all the fun and interesting things you want to do once you are done.

Speaking of fun things, here is a picture from my recent Girls Beach Vacation. Every summer since the kids have all grown up, the ladies of my family gather and spend a couple of days hanging out together at a beach (we were at Myrtle Beach this year). It is so nice because we are all spread out across the country & most of us just see each other once a year. It's especially cool that the nieces take the time to be with us 'older' relatives. I came home last Tuesday night (having to sprint through airports to make connections due to bad weather across the country), went to a family reunion for DHs side of the family in South Dakota over the weekend, and am now getting ready for the 4th of July. We always have a big picnic in our shady backyard. Anyway.....I have been busy!

I did show my PA friend the reports from the consultation with the gynecologist about my pelvic relaxation problems (so when I say she knows me inside and out......she literally does!). She advised that since I am so active, and it is bugging me; that I should probably just get it over with and have the hysterectomy. It must be the answer I wanted since I kept asking people about it, so I have surgery scheduled for July 24. Blah....that gives me too much time to mull things over!

• Tpralph
    edited June 2017

Good news bone scan CT chest and muga clear! In to chemo tomorrow.

• ruthbru
    edited June 2017

Good! And good luck, Tpralph!

• Tpralph
    edited June 2017

Thanks Ruth!

• HoneyBeaw
    edited June 2017

Tpralph!..........That is great , so happy for you I know what a relief that is . There has been so many highs and lows this last 6 mts for us that every High we can get Im so Thankful.

• NisaVilla
    edited June 2017
    Tpralph - Cheers to all clear! Every step forward deserves a celebration. You mean you start chemo tomorrow?

HoneyBeaw - how's life going for you? No Tam or Arimidex?

Hugs to all, Nisa 🌷
  • HoneyBeaw
    edited June 2017

Nisa

I'm on Letrozole since March and so far no issue.

• ruthbru
    edited June 2017

Yea!

• Tpralph
    edited June 2017

Nisa

Yes today is the day at 215 . They told me it will take about 3 hours as 30 minutes of it is a detailed description from the nurses of what will happen . Crossing my fingers and saying a little prayer that all goes well

• Molly50
    edited June 2017

TPralph, I will be in your pocket today! Ruth, beautiful ladies in that picture! I did a girls weekend last weekend too. Some of my friends met in Nashville for the weekend. It was fun and good to get away. I gave myself a 4 day break from exemestane to see if my fuzzy brain is related. It seems to be so I will try not to panic about Alzheimers for now. Glad you have your hysterectomy scheduled. It is a whole different recovery than breast surgery! What type of surgery are you having?

• grandma3X
    grandma3X Member Posts: 297
    edited June 2017

Tpralph - thinking of you! Good luck with your chemo!

HoneyBeaw - I've been on Femara for over a year and so far so good. I take Ca, VitD3 and glucosamine sulfate for my bones and joints.

Anyone else on Zometa (bisphosphonates) for bones and recurrence prevention? My bones are good, but the new guidelines say bisphosphonates should be considered to prevent recurrence, so my MO has agreed to start let me start it. I'll go for my first infusion in August.

I saw my MO 2 weeks ago. It was my third visit with him - once after surgery in March, 2016, again in Sept. 2016 and then a few weeks ago. Now he wants to see me just once a year. I know this is a good thing, but it kind of feels like I'm being brushed aside. At least my surgical oncologist is still having me come in every 6 months.

I scheduled a second fat grafting for Sept. - hopefully the last! When I had my MO visit last Sept., I was contemplating having an oopharectomy. I had a small amount of fluid around one of my ovaries and it was worrying. My MO recommended against it, said that there was no reason to have additional surgery. When I saw him this month, he asked if I was going to have the oopharectomy. I told him I had not decided, but if I did, I would try to schedule it for the same time as my fat grafting in Sept. Low and behold, when I got home after that appointment, I got a call from the GYN-oncology scheduler to set up my surgery!. I guess I'm having this done.... Has anyone else had an oopharectomy? How was the recovery?

Two weeks vacation scheduled for July!! I'll be spending it lakeside at our new camp in the Adirondacks :) Aside from surgery, which doesn't count, I've never taken 2 weeks off before! I'm excited but a little worried - I have 3 graduate students and an intern in the lab this summer....hope they won't get into too much trouble!

• Molly50
    edited June 2017

• ruthbru
    edited June 2017

Fun picture, Molly! Nashville must be the place to go. I was just today talking to friend who is taking a trip there with her sisters later this summer & my SIL & her sister just got back from there too. I am doing the surgery vaginally, which should make for an easier recovery (knock on wood). I really, really like my surgeon. In fact, he has called me a couple times to talk on the phone when I've emailed questions to his office.

Enjoy the real vacation, gramma! When it was time to me to go to a once a year appointment, I was so freaked out that my oncologist agreed to see me in 8 months instead. Once it got to 8 months I thought, "Am I nuts? I don't want to go back there this soon when I don't have to!" So after that appointment he looked and me and said quizzically , "Well?" and I said, "I am physiologically ready to move to a yearly appointment." Now I wish that I never had to go back there ever!!!

Hope everything went okay today, TPral.

• Tpralph
    edited June 2017

I did well so far on a and c. Took all the premeds dexamethasone, emmend, and Zofran. No SE yet but a bit of lethargy I think from the antiemetics. Hoping it won't get too bad over the NXT few days but expecting something in a few days. Pharmacist says about day five. I have some stemitil if I get nauseated. Did take a zantac after I got home as I think I had a bit of heartburn but wasn't sure. Didn't want to take Chance it would get worse. Thanks all for thinking of me :) it helped