Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• grandma3X
    grandma3X Member Posts: 297
    edited September 2017
    Opt4life- that is really weird. my ankle on my cancer side swelled up after my second MX (prophylactic MX of right side) about 2 months after starting Femara and 5 months after my first MX. I thought it may have been due to the BP cuff they used on my leg during surgery. I had all kinds of tests done to make sure it was not a clot and they all came back normal. It still swells but my MO and BS don't seem concerned. It's mostly just the inside back of my left ankle. I tried wearing graduated compression socks but they did not help. Sandals are out so I have turned into an old woman who wears support shoes all the time LOL. Have you ever gotten a good explanation for your swelling?
  • opt4life
    opt4life Member Posts: 111
    edited September 2017

Grandma3x when I turned 40--that was 10 years ago, I had my legs checked because I was experiencing periodic swelling especially during flights and sweltering weather. I was flying every other week back then so a young female doctor said 'you are suffering from old lady legs'. Yep, just what she said.

All tests came back normal and since I've always had good blood pressure and cholesterol we chalked it up to older age. I started working out more and eating less carbs and loand behold weight dropped off and so did the cankles. But now they are back but only in the cancer side leg.

Hmmm, and no swollen ankles on Aromasin.

• PauletteK
    PauletteK Member Posts: 1,279
    edited September 2017

Hello Ladies,

New kid in here, love to meet all the stage ll ladies. Just finished my AC infusion few days ago, scared to jump into taxol train.

• Suzanne50
    Suzanne50 Member Posts: 221
    edited September 2017

Welcome Paulette! I didn't take taxol so can't give you any words of advice but just wishing you well! Hope it all goes well.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,582
    edited September 2017

I have been on vacation so am just catching up. Welcome to all the new ladies. It is absolutely normal to be all shook up as you try to recover, both physically and mentally, from all the 'cancer stuff' (like how could you not be!!!!). Any and all treatments(including reconstruction) throw you off, and anti-hormonals magnify things even more......but, we are fortunate; because at Stage II, the treatments we do are VERY, VERY, VERY likely to WORK!!!

You don't ever not think about it to a certain extent; but as time passes and, if you make a point of doing interesting, engaging things......then it recedes, and you are surprised when you realize you didn't think about cancer for an hour, then a day, then maybe not even for a week. And it gets to where it's sort of like childbirth. I remember that it was really painful, but I don't remember the pain itself.

• PauletteK
    edited September 2017

Ruth - I know there will be rainbow on the end, the journey to get there is a rough one. Thanks for the encouragement

• ruthbru
    edited September 2017

It is one of the roughest! You will look back and wonder, "How the hell did I get through that and come out normal?" (or fairly normal anyway Loopy)

• trishyla
    trishyla Member Posts: 698
    edited September 2017

Ruthbru,

Many thanks from a lurker/occasional poster. You are always so positive and upbeat. It helps. Thank you for being you. You are a treasure on these boards.

Trish

• peregrinelady
    peregrinelady Member Posts: 416
    edited September 2017
    I agree with Trish. When I was in the depths of my despair, Ruth was one of many women here who answered people consistently with an upbeat, but realistic view. Even though I didn't post at that time,I felt as though she was one of my "friends." And while my family still probably doesn't understand my connection to this board, I will always appreciate the comfort I have found knowing there are others here going through similar emotions and concerns. Thanks to all of you!
  • ruthbru
    edited September 2017

Thank you, Trish & Peregrine. That is so sweet, and you have officially made my day! Smile

At the end of treatment, along with the other emotions, I was really MAD (at fate, I guess). It was then when I came across a quote that really motivated/inspired me, "It is what it is. It becomes what you MAKE it." So......think about the stuff you don't want to do and use this as an excuse to say no, think of the stuff that you do want to do but have put off for whatever reason, and start doing them. Using this as the trigger, you can MAKE good things happen for you (and for others too)......and/or you can dye your hair purple, which is what I did when mine came back after chemo. Why? Because I felt like it and I didn't care what anyone thought anymore!! Heart

• PauletteK
    edited September 2017

Ruth - after what happened to us and what we went through I really don't care what other think about me. TBH I didn't care before lol .

• ruthbru
    edited September 2017

ThumbsUp

• pink_is_my_colour
    pink_is_my_colour Member Posts: 265
    edited September 2017

Not sure where this quote came from but thought it was appropriate for those of us struggling with BC.

Your Quick Inspiration For The Day: Believe In Yourself

There may be days when you get up in the morning and things aren't the way you had hoped they would be.

That's when you have to tell yourself that things will get better.

There are times when people disappoint you and let you down.

But those are the times when you must remind yourself to trust your own judgments and opinions, to keep your life focused on believing in yourself.

There will be challenges to face and changes to make in your life, and it is up to you to accept them.

Constantly keep yourself headed in the right direction for you.

It may not be easy at times, but in those times of struggle you will find a stronger sense of who you are.

So when the days come that are filled with frustration and unexpected responsibilities, remember to believe in yourself and all you want your life to be.

Because the challenges and changes will only help you to find the goals that you know are meant to come true for you.

Keep Believing in Yourself

• randrgirl
    randrgirl Member Posts: 38
    edited September 2017

New to the group. Starting chemo in October. As expected, scared out of my mind but keeping the fear to myself as not to worry my siblings. Best wishes fellow Stage 2'ers and toeveryone else as well.

• PauletteK
    edited September 2017

good luck eight!! We are all here to give each other supports

• ruthbru
    edited September 2017

Hi Eight, glad you found your way to BCO and us. It helps, I think, to know that you are definitely in this alone. Heart

• ruthbru
    edited September 2017

Hope everyone currently in treatment is doing okay, and that everyone else is out doing interesting, engaging things.

I 'passed' my 6 week post-hysterectomy checkup and have been happily working my way back to my regular exercise routine. I have been doing a little subbing, a little volunteering & am now getting ready for a trip to Washington, DC with DH. He has never been there before, so we will do some of the traditional 'must see' spots and see some things I've never seen before too. I am a history NUT so am very excited!!

• opt4life
    opt4life Member Posts: 111
    edited September 2017

Good day all, doing my end of month check-in.

Eight, welcome to the board! Sorry you have to be here but since you are please know that you'll get plenty of understanding, empathy, uplifting words and even laughter. Best of luck and good wishes for your journey ahead. I like your tagline, rocking and rolling...keep on rocking and rolling!

Ruthbru, safe travels on your trip to DC. I live right outside of DC and after living in NYC for many years, I do so love the culture, history and vibe of the city although in a smaller and much more politicized environment. And of course you know our museums are free.....YEA!

I'm doing well, had a ultra-sound (at the request of my oncologist) because of some thickened skin that showed up on my last mammogram. Radiology couldn't find any evidence of anything new so told me to come back in 6 months. I don't know whether to request further investigation but my oncologist says that thickened skin are often the affect of radiation and she was just being overly cautious by requesting an US.

Other than that life is pretty normal and my mind often forgets that two years ago I was diagnosed with BC. But soon as I walk up a flight of stairs or try to get out of chair, I'm reminded that I am indeed on these darn AIs.

Everyone with upcoming treatments or surgery, wishing you Godspeed.

• PauletteK
    edited September 2017

I still have 10 more taxol to do, couldn't wait till my chemo finished so I don't have to deal with the SE and worry about so much stuffs. Glad to know people went through this chemo.

• Tpralph
    Tpralph Member Posts: 281
    edited September 2017

got my alnd surgery date. November 30. finish taxol around October 16. Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. dreading the extra surgery but they found one out of two LN during the sentinel and bmx /diep in may. did anyone have this after their original MX/ lumpectomy sx? did you have a drain and did you stay overnight?

• grandma3X
    grandma3X Member Posts: 297
    edited September 2017

tpralph, the guidelines may be different in Canada, but in the US they rarely do ALND anymore unless there is extensive nodal involvement. My BS told me prior to my MX that if the SLN was positive she would recommend radiation and that studies showed that this approach was as good as ALND in preventing recurrence. If you are concerned about having this done, perhaps seek a second opinion

• bravepoint
    bravepoint Member Posts: 232
    edited September 2017

tpralph - I'm in Ontario also. I just had the SNB where 1/5 nodes was positive. I didn't think they did ALND anymore due to the higher risk of developing lymphedema. I went through the same chemo protocol as you followed by 29 radiation treatments to my whole breast and under arm.

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008
    edited September 2017

Hello stage 2 sisters! My end of month check in. Welcome eight. Tpralph, perhaps a second opinion is a good idea? I had ALND during my lx due to two positive nodes. I doubt after recent studies they would have done it but it is water under the bridge. I am not around as much. Life is busy. I guess that is good, right? Ruth, glad you passed the 6 week mark of hyst recovery!!

• Tpralph
    Tpralph Member Posts: 281
    edited September 2017

Maybe lot brave and grandma: thanks for the advice I did have a second opinion from the radiologist. And he said because I had a focal point extension on the lymph node that was positive he said I would need the lymph nodes removed as well. So I see the breast surgeon in a couple weeks and I will discuss it even further with him again and get some more information. He supposedly one of the best in Ontario.

• PauletteK
    edited September 2017

Tpralph- didn't you have your surgery in May removed some nodes, now you are talking another surgery for your lymph nodes?

• Mumzy3
    Mumzy3 Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2017

Hi Ladies

I'm a Stage twoer. Just wanted to say hi. I am seeing my MO next week about some pain I am having on my side. Likely due to radiation. And some discomfort in my liver area. Hoping it all turns out boring.

Walking the breast cancer walk this weekend as I am in Ontario-near Ottawa. Anyone else

• Mumzy3
    Mumzy3 Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2017

Good luck! It seems long at the time but you will be through chemo before you know it!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited September 2017

tpralph - I had ALND surgery five weeks after BMX. I had to wait for my surgeon to return from a symposium in Japan, otherwise the surgery would have been earlier. My case is unusual because the ALND was prompted by only 20 IST (isolated tumor cells) in my SNB, and all imaging - mammo, US and MRI, showed no issues in the nodes, although I image poorly. The mammogram missed my palpable 2.6cm tumor, and a previous US missed a pre-malignant 3cm ovarian tumor. My surgery was in 2010, right at the point when there was a shift away from ALND to radiation. I would not have needed radiation for any other reason as I had great margins with mastectomy. I was scheduled for chemo and Herceptin due to being Her2+, but my oncological breast surgeon and medical oncologist were insistent that the ALND be done prior to chemo. My surgeon had many years of experience, former surgical department head at an NCI center, and one of the pioneers of SNB. He is not a reactionary personality but felt this was the right move due to my Her2+ status. The ALND surgery revealed a 6mm triple positive node - so not removing it would have been the same as leaving an aggressive stage 1 breast lump in place and just having chemo and rads, but no surgery and hoping that was enough. Most people who have ALND have either more cancer in their single node SNB or multiple positive nodes, but I had a clinically node negative SNB with a much larger positive node further up the lymphatic chain. This is not common, but can happen in up to 10% of cases. My surgery was outpatient, but I did have a drain - it was removed at my post-op within the week.

• PauletteK
    edited September 2017

Thank you for the information specialK now I understand.

• AliceAgnes
    AliceAgnes Member Posts: 44
    edited September 2017

I recently had an ALND while getting my unilateral mastectomy. One axillary node had tested positive back in March and was clipped. Prior to my August surgery, I signed a paper agreeing to an ALND if my surgeon thought it necessary after removing the known cancerous node. During surgery she could not find the previously clipped node. This is not uncommon. A clip can migrate away from its original site during the weeks of chemo preceding surgery or even in the blood flow during the surgery itself. It is only the size of a grain of rice. Anyway, to be sure all cancer was removed, she decided to do the ALND. Later we both were glad she did because she removed two other nodes that also were cancerous.

Subsequently, she did have an occupational therapist meet with me so that I would know how to recognize the signs of lymphedema developing in my left arm, should that ever occur. So far, so good. My coming radiation treatments will also raise the risk for that, but my radiation oncologist calculates an overall 30% chance that I will ever develop lymphedema in my lifetime--and there are preventive exercises one can do daily to lower the odds further. They only take a few minutes to do.