Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited December 2017

Honeybrew, I don’t understand why % would be higher with both treatments?

• HoneyBeaw
    HoneyBeaw Member Posts: 150
    edited December 2017

Hope / Marj

I can not explain it in medical terms, hopefully someone on this forum has better medical knowledge then I do . I can tell you what my Drs told me

Chemo ,as good as it is in doing its job killing the cancer cells, it has its own demons it can and does kill, effect other things that should not be killed . It is a poison that is being put in your body to kill the bad stuff, as with any poison its going to effect good things to .

Based on what I did know at the time, and that is they did not get good margins wth the Lumpectomy:, which could cause fast spread of the cancer. I would still have had the chemo even if I had of known the test results before I started treatment .

Im not saying chemo is right for everyone, I just feel it was right for me

• PVM
    PVM Member Posts: 27
    edited December 2017

Jay - I am not sure what her score is, from the get go when she found out she had cancer she opted to do it naturally. She was scheduled for surgery & she cancelled her appointment when she was first diagnosed & started with the vitamin C injections. She has gone every 4 months to do a CT Scan & at first her doctor was very skeptical & told her she didn't agree with what she is doing but then the doctor couldn't stop her. I believe she may have 1 or 2 poss nodes. She has gone all natural though even with food & has lost 25 pounds. Everyone has their own way of doing things, she will opt to have surgery though but she said if she can continue this route without it getting worse then there is no reason for her to do surgery yet. I worry about her & maybe her nodes getting more infected or cancer spreading but like i said she goes to get scans every few months. I also have another friend whom i met on vacation a few years back & has become like a mother to me, long story short she had cancer over 10 years ago, her MO told her she did not have to do chemo that she was okay with rads & surgery but she opted to do chemo & she does not regret that step she took. It was for her piece of mind. I guess when it comes down to it, even if we have no nodes positive or all nodes positives we have no clue if the ugly beast will come back. We are not guaranteed anything in life except living every day & like Paulette said thanking god we are here another day. Lets not let cancer take more from us than it already has.

Honeybeaw - I could not agree with you anymore, its true cancer does change us or at least it also did me. I am a different person than i was before starting my not so wonderful cancer journey, i was young & carefree & happy go lucky & honestly i like the person i am now. I find i am stronger & like you don't sweat the little stuff. I have been blessed with support from my family & friends but then like you there are those that don't have your best interest at heart & you have to walk away. One of my friends said its like you are reborn again.

Amy - I know its hard thinking of our futures with positive nodes but i know there are wonderful ladies out there that are an inspiration that have had many positive nodes & have been over 10 years cancer free. I joined the positive lymph node thread & to be honest its wonderful hearing all their stories & years they have been cancer free.

Ladies i am glad i found a forum to express myself & talk to other ladies that are going through the same thing as us. I find that people that have not experienced cancer sometimes don't understand our fears & anxiety. They think okay cancer is gone you are fine but no we are not fine most of the time, we live with fear & anxiety not to mention the mental & physical scars it leaves behind. I just wanted to wish you all a wonderful weekend & happy holidays & may the new year be a brand new start for all of us with new blessings.

• stephilosphy00
    stephilosphy00 Member Posts: 161
    edited December 2017

Hi everyone! I am afraid my bf won't marry me, I have been struggling with it for a while.

I have been with my bf for one and half years. I was diagnosed with stage II BC about a year ago just a couple months into our relationship. Thankfully he has been my greatest supporter, he even keeps telling me he will always be there for me. I want to get married one day, I am just that kind of girl will consider marriage as a goal of every relationship. I do talk about it with him a couple times, he says he is not ready yet and he needs time. It makes me feel sad, jealous, and even angry when I hear a friend or a coworker just got engaged, went to Europe for honeymoon, etc, I just want to be like them, healthy and happy! I was only 29 when I got this damn disease, I just want to the rest my life can be a little easier! :( Please give me some advice how to get out of this downward emotional spiral?

• Tpralph
    Tpralph Member Posts: 281
    edited December 2017

step; sorry that you are feeling down this time of year. It may be a good time to take note of what you want in life and work towards it. Get rid of things that are not getting you to your goal. Some men are not the marrying type. My brother in law has been with his girlfriend for 30 years but has always refused to marry her. He did not want children either. Unfortunately his girlfriend wanted both but "settled" and now is a bit resentful.  BUT if you are ok with no marriage as long as you are together then that is ok too.  Don't "settle".  As you know, life is too short and you never know what can happen; so grasp life now.  He sounds like a "nice" guy however.

ON a brighter note; 2018 is just around the corner which will be a much better year for all of us! so focus on the new year, a new outlook (make it positive) and work towards what you want.

Try to spend some time with family and friends and have a great holiday.  (just my thoughts anyhow as I don't know the whole story)

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited December 2017

steph, I'd really recommend you see a counsellor - first by yourself, and then after you've had some time to work out your stuff, together (probably at a different counsellor) for couples's counselling.

Many couples have this same issue but cancer (or any other major health problem) overlays its own nasty shading to everything so it's extra hard to sort out. Get professional help. If you've had counselling before and don't think it helped, find a new counsellor.

in the meantime, for self care, try these little steps every day:

1. get outside every day for at least a small walk;

2. write down 3 things you're grateful for,

3. every morning or the night before make a list of 3 small things to do which give you pleasure (like put on earrings, watch an episode of .... etc.; just little things.) and DO them.

December is hard for many people so you're not alone; but you don't need to suffer alone - keep reaching out. It will get better. Best Wishes.

• jaymeb
    jaymeb Member Posts: 241
    edited December 2017

MERRY CHRISTMAS

I hope all of you ladies have a wonderful holiday

• jaymeb
    edited December 2017
    Cpeachymom

I read that you are doing Lupron injections. Did you onco recommend it? I asked my onco about taking out my ovaries, but he didn't feel I needed that. I'm surprised at least these injections were'nt mentioned for me. I read women with a history of breast cancer have 1 in 20 chance of getting ovarian cancer. For women with no history, it's 1 in a thousand, I think. I feel like the tomoxifen is enough. When I see my onco in a few weeks, I'll ask about those injections. How are you doing with that? Any side effects the injections? As for radiation, I'm so sorry you're having a hard time with that. Do you have sensitive skin. As you know, it can burn. What is radiation pneumonitis? I hope your little one has a great Christmas. I have one child, and she's 14. Miss those early years. Enjoy, it will go by very fast.😀
  • jaymeb
    edited December 2017

Cpeachymom

What I meant to say is I I'm not sure if just tamoxifen is enough. I don't even need my ovaries anymore

• jaymeb
    edited December 2017
    Steph

Believe me, I understand you want marriage. But, do you think what you went through with BC and always wondering about our mortality could be eager to get married soon? Trust me, 29 is still very young, and you have so much time. Although, I'm divorced, when my ex and I dated after 1 year, I told him I'm ready for marriage, and he wasn't. Well, another year went by, still wasn't ready. So, I told him I'm not going to be one of those women who keep dating, and before you know it, five years have passed. He said he loved me, but still wasn't ready. At that time, I was 27. So, I stopped mentioning it, and six months later he surprised me with a ring. Six months later, we were married. So, we dated exactly three years before marriage. I guess the point I'm making, is not to push him on it, but you still don't want to be single in three years. Somehow, you two need to talk and come to some sort of understanding. I see your side, as well as his. Marriage is a huge step, and it's mostly takes guys longer to get there. I hope this works for you, and if he keeps dragging his feet, then it will probably be time to move on. I wish the best for you.
  • stephilosphy00
    edited December 2017

Merry Christmas,all my BC sisters!!!

Jaymeb, thank you so much for your reply! You are right, the mortality of BC makes me want to get married early. I just feel like I cannot afford to wait any longer. Me and boyfriend have wonderful relationship, he is definitely the right guy of my life. He tells me he loves me and he even promises me he won't leave me. I am just struggling why he cannot make one more step forward. I guess BC just makes me very inpatient and always self-centered.

• jaymeb
    edited December 2017
    steph

First of all, you are NOT selfish. We have gone through a lot with this disease. It will change our lives forever, but we go on and live a happy life. I left my ex after 15 years of marriage. At that time, I was so unhappy, and then as time went on, I wanted to get back together, however, he has moved on, and it hurts. We do share a beautiful 14 year old daughter, and she's my life. Paul, my ex, and I get along well. He went with me to my biopsies, was there for my surgeries, and helped in anyway he could with his busy schedule. What I miss sooo much is laying down with him and cuddling, actually we called it spooning. Sorry, I'm getting off topic talking about me. I think I just needed to get that out. I'm a very open person. If you know he's the right guy, and you love him, I don't think he's going anywhere. He has shown you through his actions, and going through this journey with you that he is as committed to you. Do the two of you live together, hope that's not too personal. You don't have to answer if you don't want. Also, do the two of you want kids? I just don't know why it is harder for men. Try to relax and enjoy your relationship with him. Trust me, many women would love to be in your shoes that don't have a guy in their life. I know many in their thirties, and still not married. It will come, he knows you're ready. Hope you had a great Chrismas. We are here to support each other, and you can vent anytime you want.
  • jaymeb
    edited December 2017

steph

I forgot to ask, are you having reconstruction

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,581
    edited December 2017

Hi All! Hope you have had a Happy Holiday. We had a lovely Christmas filled with all the traditional food, friends, fun etc. that I so enjoy.

Steph, if you love him, give him some time. BC is hard, not only for us, but for those who love us. I think it takes awhile for everyone involved to regain a sense of equilibrium.

I am trying to decide if I should throw out all the fattening leftovers, or eat them all in a huge spree and get them out of the house that way!!!

• stephilosphy00
    edited December 2017

Hey Jaymeb and Ruthbru! Yes, I will have reconstruction around next March to April (6-month post radiation). Me and BF live together, I don't have any relatives nearby and I consider him as my closest family member. In regard to children, I chose not to have any in the future mostly due to my illness, my BF seems fine with it.I will give him time and I will try to enjoy every sweet moment of our relationship without thinking too much.

• jaymeb
    edited January 2018
    Hi Everyone

HAPPY NEW YEARS🍾🍾🍾🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🎉🎉🎉.

Hope to a great 2018!!!!!!!
  • Cpeachymom
    Cpeachymom Member Posts: 249
    edited January 2018

Happy new year to all of you! Here’s hoping this year is better than the last!

jaymeb- I’m not too sure why some people aren’t offered the Lupron, I suspect it has to do with whether you’re looking to keep your fertility maybe? I started the shots the same time as Tamoxifen, so I can’t tell the side effects apart, but no periods since I started. Constant hot/cold flashes have become a nuisance. Otherwise doing fine there, none of the nasty side effects I was concerned about.

Pneumonitis- they fried my lung! Lots of inflammation, long, high doses of steroids to heal it along with all the nasty side effects from them. All in the hopes it doesn’t turn to fibrosis which is permanent scarring.

We’ve had a very busy, family-filled holiday season, which works for us. My little one enjoyed it and is looking forward to more “visiting.” I know it goes fast, I also have two older kids still living at home! I started young. 😉 But this is my second marriage and my husband’s first child, so I made sure to stress the importance of enjoying while they’re small. We were about to starting trying for another when cancer came knocking..

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,581
    edited January 2018

Happy New Years! Hope everyone had a good holiday season. I did (and have 5 extra pounds to prove it). Back on the eat right/exercise wagon tomorrow!

• PauletteK
    PauletteK Member Posts: 1,279
    edited January 2018

Happy New Year to all.....

Step , wish you luck. BC sucks but we should enjoy each day.

• grandma3X
    grandma3X Member Posts: 297
    edited January 2018

Happy New Year!

Forgive my posting here, but I just received the following email from Metavivor:

"METAvivor Research and Support has been chosen as one of the 46 organizations in the running to receive one of six grants from Sugarlands Distilling Company. Sugarlands Distilling Company's Year of Giving campaign is awarding $60,000 to nonprofits across the country, and we need our community's help to receive this grant!

Voting will take place throughout January. Starting with 48 organizations, every ten days half of the groups with the highest number of votes will move onto the next round until there are only six organizations left. Voting will take place at www.moonshare.org.

METAvivor is in the lead today, but we need your help every day to stay there! You can vote once every 24 hours. Please vote and share with your friends and family. Every vote counts!

ABOUT METAVIVOR

METAvivor Research and Support Inc. is an Annapolis-based, 501(c)(3), volunteer-led, non-profit organization founded by metastatic breast cancer (MBC) patients in 2009. Our main focus is to fund critical research that will lead to advances in treatment options, quality of life and survival for patients diagnosed with MBC. Since 2009, METAvivor awarded 45 research grants totaling over $4 million. METAvivor is the only national organization with a peer-reviewed grant program aimed at exclusively funding MBC research, and 100% of all donations go to fund research."

At this point, Metavivor has the most votes. It would be great if they won this grant to help support MBC research! It's very easy to vote - just click on the heart under the Metavivor logo on the page www.moonshare.org and then put in your email address. That's it! And you can vote again each day :)

• Tpralph
    Tpralph Member Posts: 281
    edited January 2018

grandma...done!

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited January 2018

Me too, grandma!

• TabzIsMyAngel
    TabzIsMyAngel Member Posts: 41
    edited January 2018

Thanx for sharing, grandma! Done, and will go back daily to vote as well.

• sswp
    sswp Member Posts: 61
    edited January 2018

Voted, thanks for sharing. 

• WorriedMe77
    WorriedMe77 Member Posts: 93
    edited January 2018

Voted 😘

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008
    edited January 2018

Voted! Happy New Year stage 2ers!

• jaymeb
    edited January 2018

Grandma3x

Thanks for posting this. Just voted, and will evryday

• jaymeb
    edited January 2018
    Cpeachymom

Hope you had a great New Years. In my case, I've been on Tamoxifen since April, and knock on wood, no periods since then. Same thing, hot and cold flashes. I'm so sorry what you went through with radiation. Never have heard of that. My skin tolerated it well. I do worry if damage will show to my lungs, and heart, since it was my left breast. Was yours just on the right breast? Also, did the RO just not map well? Not sure if I'm wording this right. Thank goodness you're ok.
  • jaymeb
    edited January 2018
    TabzIsMyAngel

This is probably a stupid question, but is the cat picture your cat? My daughter and I love the picture, as we are cat lovers. We have two. Beautiful cat. What breed?
  • TabzIsMyAngel
    TabzIsMyAngel Member Posts: 41
    edited January 2018

Jaymeb -

Yes, that was my Maine Coon cat mix, Tabitha, who I adopted at about 10 wks old. She unexpectedly developed mammary cancer at the age of 11 1/2. The vet removed the tumor with clear margins & said it shouldn't come back. Of course, he also said she technically never should have even gotten it, since I had her spayed before she ever went into heat & had any estrogen in her system. Anyway, she lived to be 19 1/2 yrs old when I had to let her go 2 yrs ago on the 25th of this month. So since she survived cancer & lived healthily afterward to a ripe old age, I consider her my angel watching over me through my journey.Heart