Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,581
    edited January 2018

My 'secrets' are: to stay in the correct weight range for my height, I rarely drink alcohol & then never more than one (two max) drinks, take a baby aspirin daily, and MOST importantly, I exercise religiously; and I do mean religiously. I get at least 4 hours of aerobic and 4 hours of toning every single week (the only excuses would be having the flu, high fever, or surgery.....and then I get back to it ASAP). It's the exercise that's the biggest non-medical thing we can do to reduce the chance of recurrence......okay, I will get off my soapbox, but you did ask! Winking

• jaymeb
    jaymeb Member Posts: 241
    edited January 2018
    ruthbru

You are so right about the exercise. For several years, I was an avid runner, and swimmer. My weight was good, and I truly felt my best. My father was a very disciplined man, and was one of those people who had to live by a routine. After work, he would run on the treadmill, and bike. He said it was his biggest stress reliever, and actually enjoyed excercising. My problem is getting motivated to go to the gym, once I'm there I'm fine, and don't stop. I also found when I did exercise, I slept better. Do you exercise at the same time everyday? Are you a member of a gym? Also, I'm glad you mentioned aspirin, as I want to take it. I'm just wondering if I should check with my doctor first. Oh, I apologize, I don't know why I assumed you had a mascectomy. I guess I just see so many on these forums.
  • ruthbru
    edited January 2018

Yes, run the aspirin by your doctor first. My mother's side of the family has a terrible history of heart problems (my two siblings, who are both younger, have already problems); so everything I do for cancer prevention, I'm also doing to ward off heart disease as well! If I am going to be alive, I want to be HEALTHY!

As far as exercise goes, I do belong to a fitness center. I find I like classes the best (Zumba, Yoga, Pound), but I also have a bunch of DVDs & a treadmill at home (no excuses). I do 4 hours of some sort of aerobic exercise a week (walking, running, dancing, biking, swimming, any kind of moving fits into this) and 4 hours of toning (weights, yoga, pilates, stretching etc. etc. fit into that). I just joined a fitbit group of ladies from Lets Post Our Daily Exercise thread......and that is good too, it makes me want to get to the 10,000 steps mark every day FOR SURE. Come over to that thread (on the fitness forum)and join us. There are people at every exercise level, some still in active treatment, some years out, and we have LOTS of fun!!!!

• PauletteK
    PauletteK Member Posts: 1,279
    edited January 2018

Ruth, thank you for sharing your workout program. I do 30-40 minuets walk, down and up hill since I live on the hillside. I’m thinking to enroll to yoga or tai chi class after I finished radiation. Can’t do much when you go to daily radiation. Back and forth takes hours out of your day, beside my energy level is getting low. I’m on the last 5 sessions now.

• ruthbru
    edited January 2018

I just walked, walked, walked and did lower body exercises during radiation.

• jaymeb
    edited January 2018
    ruthbru

Thanks for your helpful tips. I need you to come to North Carolina to get me motivated. Lol. Well, as far as the exercise thread, do I need a Fitbit, as I don't have one? My daughter does, and loves it. She is very diligent about exercise, and fitness. Very proud of her about that. I would feel lost on the exercise thread. How does that work? Well, on a different note, we got six inches of snow. I see on these thread, many are from the north, and I see Canada. Well, I assume you women get lots of snow. When we get it here, people flock to the grocery stores a day, or two ahead of time. It's always crowded, and the stores can barely keep the essentials, milk, and bread. It's beautiful to see the snow, however I wish it was at Christmas!!!! Well, of course, in Wisconson, which I was there many times with my ex, his parents drove in it like it's rain. I think the snow plows were immediate to clear rodes. Now, everything is closed, and I mean everything. The kids are out of school all week. They love to get in the snow, it's a treat for them. I'm already wanting it to melt. It will be days before I get out. Hate to be a Debby downer, I hate it!!!! I feel trapped, and don't own snow boots. So, I'll be in my apartment going stir crazy. Got my daughter with me, but of course, as usual, she's snapchating, and what ever else they do. I just needed to vent, I'm bored😫😫
  • jaymeb
    edited January 2018
    PauletteK

How are you doing with radiation? At least you're toward the end. Are you having any fatigue, and how is your skin?
  • ruthbru
    edited January 2018

I like a fitbit because it keeps track of how many steps I take & I am competitive enough (with myself) that if I'm not up to the 10,000 recommended steps by the end of the day, I'll just walk around the house in a circle until I'm there.

• PauletteK
    edited January 2018

Jay, I’m almost finish, only one more to go. Skin is holding up, pretty red on my collarbone area. Yes I got fatigue, I need nap daily. I could have plenty of energy did my 1.5 miles walk as soon as I finished radiation, eat lunch then I need my nap. I’m praying after couple weeks I will get my energy back.

• stephilosphy00
    stephilosphy00 Member Posts: 161
    edited January 2018

Hi ladies, I complained not too long ago that I was worried my boyfriend won't marry me, well my boyfriend just proposed a couple days ago. I am very grateful now!

• ruthbru
    edited January 2018

Congratulations, Steph!!!!!!!!

• legomaster225
    legomaster225 Member Posts: 356
    edited January 2018

Congratulations!!! All your worry for nothing. He loves you!!Heart

I was curious about your bio Stephanie. Did you do xeloda right after AC/T? Was it a trial? Or just something your MO and you decided on? I just don't want to be missing the boat on preventing recurrence if there is a proven protocol that will increase my odds

• stephilosphy00
    edited January 2018

Hi Legomaster225,

I am actually still on Xeloda, I will start Cycle 5 next week (oncologist wants me to do 6 cycles). She recommended Xeloda because I am highly ER/PR positive, still had 1.8 cm residual cancer and one positive node after AC/T neoadjuvant chemo, according to a recent Japanese study, Xeloda could help prevent recurrence for this situation (ER/PR positive, no PCR after neoadjuvant chemo).

Here is the study - http://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/xeloda-i...

• PauletteK
    edited January 2018

Congratulations Steph, so happy for you.

• WorriedMe77
    WorriedMe77 Member Posts: 93
    edited January 2018

Congra

• legomaster225
    legomaster225 Member Posts: 356
    edited January 2018

interesting, thanks Steph. I was node negative and only had "rare cancer cells scattered in a 2mm area" after AC/T. Original tumor was 3.5cm. I will still bring thisup to my MO and see what he thinks. The results of that one study look good! I hope it works great for you!!

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008
    edited January 2018

congratulations, Steph!

• OCDAmy
    OCDAmy Member Posts: 289
    edited January 2018

Has anyone noticed foot pain after chemo? I think I have plantar fasciitis, bad heel pain especially when I first get up from sitting. I've never had this before. I also have pain in my big toe knuckles which I had before chemo but is worse now. I'm not sure what neuropathy feels like so I don't know if that's what I have. I have started walking more on a treadmill in this cold weather so maybe that is it. Just wondering if anyone else has problems with your feet?

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509
    edited January 2018

OCDAmy, I had foot pain during chemo, felt like a bad stone bruise. It was more painful to walk barefooted so I wore my flops that the bottoms are made from yoga mat material around the house. Mostly on the really bad days. My MO said it was most likely inflammation in one of the muscles or tendons. She told me to wear insoles in my shoes for extra supportbut I don't wear closed in shoes. It hasn't hurt since I finished chemo. I also had some neuropathy but I don't think it was from that. That felt different as in numb.

• bravepoint
    bravepoint Member Posts: 232
    edited January 2018

OCDAmy - I didn't have foot pain during chemo but did end up with some neuropathy in my left foot. The toes feel sort of numb and tingly, like pins and needles. It's been 10 months so I'm not sure if it will eventually go away or not.....

• jaymeb
    edited January 2018
    PauletteK

You'll slowly get your energy back. I did well with radiation until the last week, all fatigue related. At least you're excersing. Are you already on hormone therapy?
  • jaymeb
    edited January 2018
    Steph

Yayyyyyy. I had no doubt your boyfriend, well now fiancé is commited, and loves you. So happy for you. Was it a surprise? Give us a little details, how did he do it?
  • stephilosphy00
    edited January 2018

Haha, well he was not very good at proposing, he just asked me to research on how to get marriage license when we were talking about something unrelated. We will go get it this Wednesday! We are not planning to have the ceremony or even have the wedding photos taken. I actually don't care about those things at all, as long as he is willing to make the commitment!

• ruthbru
    edited January 2018

Keep us updated. It's always fun to be part of happy news!

• jaymeb
    edited January 2018
    ruthbru

Thanks for telling me about the cats thread. I love it!!!!!! I'm just looking now from the beginning. Before I start responding, I like to read everything since the beginning. Well, one of the first pics I saw was your cats(posted 2015). It was from thirty years ago. They're so cute. If it's ok to ask, how long did you have them? Do you have cats now? I know I should ask you on the pet forum, however, I have a long way to read. Thanks. By the way, how is the tempatures in ND? Below 0?
  • Tpralph
    Tpralph Member Posts: 281
    edited January 2018

Congratulations Stephanie!!! My daughter is getting married this year. Just planning on a job wedding and a big party after.

I'm so glad you are happy

• jaymeb
    edited January 2018

bravepoint

How are your" babies". Terra, Dante, and Rayne? Think that's right. I don't get on the dog thread, but we love dogs as well. Reece and her dad are looking into German Shepherds, or labs. All depends on Reece meeting that resposiblity

• jaymeb
    edited January 2018

ladies

Does anyone know anything about swg? Seems she disappeared. Well, she's probably more active on another thread

• jaymeb
    edited January 2018
    Tpralph

I was typing when I saw this. Congratulations for your daughter as well. Is she your only daughter, and the first out of your children to get married?
  • Cpeachymom
    Cpeachymom Member Posts: 249
    edited January 2018

jaymeb- swg is around, you can try to pm her to see how she is. If you click on someone’s name, it pulls up their latest posts.