Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• bellasmomtoo
    bellasmomtoo Member Posts: 93
    edited May 2018

Since someone brought up the subject of donating blood, I thought it was interesting that those who have had chemo cannot become bone marrow donors. From the "Be the Match" (bone marrow registry) website:

If you have a history of pre-cancerous cells, you will be able to register to become a potential volunteer donor. You are able to register if you have any of the following, but did NOT require chemotheraphy:

• Cured, local skin cancer (basal cell or squamous cell)
    • Healed melanoma in situ
    • Healed cervical cancer in situ
    • Healed breast cancer in situ
    • Healed bladder cancer in situ

NOTE: In situ cancer is diagnosed at a very early stage and is specifically called "in situ" or Stage 0.

You MAY register if you have had any other type of cancer (with the exception of blood cancer), if it meets ALL of the following criteria:

• More than 5 years since diagnosis
    • No recurrence or metastases
    • No chemotherapy or radiation*

*Localized bead radiation treatment for breast cancer or prostate cancer is acceptable. Radioactive iodine treatment for thyroid cancer is acceptable.

• Sara536
    Sara536 Member Posts: 5,937
    edited May 2018

re: post by Nas, it doesn't make sense to me either. Although I applaud those who are eager to give blood to help others, I expect that one of these days we will hear an “oops, we were wrong!" from the blood banks. I think we are still in the early stages of understanding how this all works. People who have already had one or more cancers, as well as those who are immune compromised might not be able to fight cancer cells in donated blood. Why take the chance?

I would imagine that chemo destroys or alters bone marrow to a certain extent so donated marrow that has been exposed to chemo wouldn't be the best quality and/or the donor can't afford to loose any.

• grandma3X
    grandma3X Member Posts: 297
    edited May 2018

I was curious about this so did some digging. Blood donations are processed into components like plasma and red blood cells. I don't think theyuse whole blood. Here's a good description:

What happens to donated blood

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited May 2018

I agree Sara why give blood when you can stay on the safe side. For money? I could understand if the circumstances are dire...

I think we will hear an”oops” too.

• Sara536
    Sara536 Member Posts: 5,937
    edited May 2018

I think most people who give blood are responding to the need and the opportunity to do some good rather than wanting to be paid.

Aside from that, I think that I would want to bank my own blood if I were scheduled for surgery where a transfusion might be necessary.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,581
    edited May 2018

On another topic: I hope spring has sprung for everyone. We had a long, long winter but I think have maybe turned the corner. This weekend I took the winter survival gear out of the trunk, turned off the heat, polished my toenails and changed out the closets. Hopefully I have not jinxed things!

• stephilosphy00
    stephilosphy00 Member Posts: 161
    edited May 2018

So I finally saw my bone density report, just my spine is -1.1, other places are still fine. I guess I don't need bone strengthening IV yet?

• ruthbru
    edited May 2018

Steph, I just looked at my last report and I have one score at -1.1 also with the rest in the normal range 'which no significant interval change compared to previous exam'. As it is just slightly dipped (and in one area only), and no medical person seems concerned about it, I am not either. I will continue to make sure I'm monitored, do all the healthy lifestyle things and see what happens in the future. I'd just as soon avoid other drugs unless I really need them.

• stephilosphy00
    stephilosphy00 Member Posts: 161
    edited May 2018

Thank you ruthbru, that's what I am thinking too!

• mjsgumbas
    mjsgumbas Member Posts: 323
    edited May 2018

Hi all! A few days after my 5 year anniversary Hubby and I went to New Orleans to celebrate that and our 1st wedding anniversary! It's one of our most favorite places to visit - the live entertainment, the people watching and crawfish were in peak season - YUM!!! We decided to get a little crazy on this trip and both got some new ink. I've wanted this for a few years but never found time to get it done - I love it!! It's a little lower than I wanted (actually the picture is weird because my arm is stretched over my head) but Hubby made a good point...if I ever to change the implants, we can't guarantee where the incision may be. It's all healed now and looks really cool.....image

• ruthbru
    edited May 2018

Super Awesome!ThumbsUp

• jo6359
    jo6359 Member Posts: 1,993
    edited May 2018

Mjsgumbas-Great tatoo. I'm glad you had a great time in New Orleans for your anniversary. New Orleans is one of my favorite cities. Nothing like spicy crawfish abd graet blues/jazz.

• opt4life
    opt4life Member Posts: 111
    edited May 2018

Mjs, very nice tatoo. Happy Mothers Day everyone

• ruthbru
    edited May 2018

Happy Mothers Day to all moms, grandmothers, aunts, teachers, mentors, and to all who treat others in a kind, caring, mothering manner.

• Kimmer33
    Kimmer33 Member Posts: 90
    edited May 2018

Hi Everyone! I don't come on these boardsmuch, unless I'm having specific questions or symptoms. But I scroll through my favourites and recognize so many of your names! You all were so encouraging when I was going through my darkest days.

I'm loving life, which 3 years ago didn't think would ever happen again. After 2 years on Tamoxifen, I found out in February that I'm post-menopausal and my family doc did not put 2 and 2 together and question this and Tamox. So, I came on here, asked some questions, did some research and decided for myself to switch to an AI due to Tamox potentially causing uterine cancer. No one needs that! So I saw my Onc today and she fully agrees to switch me to an AI (Femara) on Monday after some bloodwork to confirm status.

Dreading the new SEs, the more intense SEs so I hear... But it's all better than cancer. Love you all!!!

Kim

• ruthbru
    edited May 2018

Kimmer, good for you for doing your homework! We really do need to be our own advocates! Ladies I know who have switched from Tamoxifin to an AI have found that they have LESS intense side effects. Hopefully that will be the same for you!

• pink_is_my_colour
    pink_is_my_colour Member Posts: 265
    edited May 2018

Glad to see everyone is doing well.

Kimmer33: I've been on Letrozole for six months now and aside from muscle and joint pain I don't have any other side effects. The first couple of weeks were the worst. After that the SE settled down. The muscle and joint pain is mostly if I've been sitting for too long. Just keep moving!

Happy Mother's Day to all.

• ruthbru
    edited May 2018

Hope you all had a lovely Mothers Day!

• grandma3X
    grandma3X Member Posts: 297
    edited May 2018

kimmer33 - I've been on Letrozole (Femara)for 2 years now and no significant side effects. My hair is a bit thinner and have a mild case of brain fog sometimes, but no joint pain. I hope you will find that Femara treats you kindly.

• Kimmer33
    Kimmer33 Member Posts: 90
    edited May 2018

thank you ladies, 3 days in and here we go!!!

Kim

• MexicoHeather
    MexicoHeather Member Posts: 147
    edited May 2018

Ruthbru: I, too, had the TAV and I had them remove the tubes and ovaries, too. It more recovery time, but one less from-part to worry about. Also my Gyno was a much kinder, people person than the oncologist.

• powerparks
    powerparks Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2018

Hi all! I'm pretty new to the forums. I'm 41, had a mastectomy on right side done. Found out Wednesday that I don't need chemo. So happy about that. Did a blood test to see where I am in relation to menopause and it looks like my best option is to get my overies removed and take pills for 5-10 years. Hopefully, I can set that up soon so I can move on to reconstruction. I am getting along pretty well. I have been fighting some depression and finding it hard to go out because I feel lopsided. My husband bought me a knitted knocker recently, which was very sweet of him, and I'm trying to get over this wall I created for myself. I hope everyone is doing well and I look forward to chatting with you all. Mary

• ruthbru
    edited May 2018

Welcome, Mary! Yes, do go out and do things, jump back into life!! Wear patterns,tops with pockets etc. as a distraction.You will be surprised how little other people notice about another person's appearance!

Hope everyone is doing fine. I spend the last couple weeks subbing for a friend who broke her wrist in two places, so I have been BUSY! Friday was the last day of school. Whew! I spent all yesterday planting flowers and now have to start planning a big house 'touch up' project. We are getting new carpet in the whole upstairs, which means we will paint first, which means we have to clean out all the closets, move all the furniture out etc. Yikes, I get tired just writing about it.

Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone!

• marijen
    edited May 2018

Powerparks, before you jump into an oophorectomy, please do your home work. Especially because you are still young. This from Mayo Clinic. And there are more risks if you have a hysterectomy

The risk of breast cancer and ovarian cancer varies according to the particular gene mutations that you have. And your individual risk of breast cancer and ovarian cancer varies depending on many factors, including your age, your family history, your lifestyle choices and other strategies you're using to reduce your risk of cancer.

For some, oophorectomy may offer great reduction in risk. For others, the risks of surgery and the potential side effects may not be worth the reduction in cancer risk.

What are the risks of oophorectomy?

Oophorectomy is a generally safe procedure that carries a small risk of complications, including infection, intestinal blockage and injury to internal organs. The risk of complications depends on how the procedure is performed.

But more concerning is the impact of losing the hormones supplied by your ovaries. If you have yet to undergo menopause, oophorectomy causes early menopause. Early menopause carries many risks, including:

• Bone thinning (osteoporosis). Removing your ovaries reduces the amount of bone-building estrogen your body produces. This may increase your risk of a broken bone.
    • Discomforts of menopause. Hot flashes, vaginal dryness, sexual problems, sleep disturbance and sometimes cognitive changes can occur during menopause. Removing your ovaries doesn't mean you'll immediately have these problems, but it does mean that any menopausal symptoms you develop will occur earlier and are more likely to reduce your quality of life than if they occurred during natural menopause.
    • Increased risk of heart disease. Your risk of heart disease may increase if you have your ovaries removed.
    • Lingering risk of cancer. Prophylactic oophorectomy doesn't completely eliminate your risk of breast cancer or ovarian cancer. A type of cancer that looks and acts identical to ovarian cancer can develop after the ovaries and fallopian tubes are removed. The risk of this type of cancer, called primary peritoneal cancer, is low — much lower than the lifetime risk of ovarian cancer if the ovaries remain intact.

Prophylactic oophorectomy might relieve much of your anxiety about developing cancer, but this type of surgery can also take an emotional toll on you. Even if you didn't plan on having children, you might mourn the loss of your fertility.

Do you need postmenopausal hormone therapy after oophorectomy?

Use of low-dose hormone therapy after oophorectomy is controversial. While studies have shown that use of hormone therapy after menopause may increase the risk of breast cancer, other studies suggest early menopause can cause its own serious risks.

Women who undergo prophylactic oophorectomy and don't use hormone therapy up to age 45 have a higher rate of premature death, heart disease and neurological diseases. For this reason, doctors typically recommend that younger women who have surgically induced menopause should consider taking low-dose hormone therapy for a short time and stop around age 51.

It isn't entirely clear what effect hormone therapy might have on your cancer risk. Several studies have found that short-term hormone therapy doesn't increase the risk of breast cancer in those with BRCA mutations who have undergone prophylactic oophorectomy. Ask your doctor about your particular situation. If you decide to take low-dose estrogen, plan to discontinue this treatment around age 51.

You may opt to have your uterus removed during your oophorectomy surgery so that you can take a type of hormone therapy (estrogen-only hormone therapy) that may be safer for those with a high risk of breast cancer. Discuss the benefits and risks of hysterectomy with your surgeon.

• marijen
    edited May 2018

Hysterectomy risks (for everyone)

And there are several different kinds of hysterectomy procedures as well.

More at

https://www.uspharmacist.com/article/complications...

• powerparks
    powerparks Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2018

Thanks ladies for your support. Ruth don't overdo yourself with all that house work. Make sure you ask for help if you need it. I wish I had your energy.

Marijen thanks for all the info. I have been pretty busy doing research myself. I had a hysterectomy several years back and they left my overies then. Recently, I have been having hot flashes so my gyno thinks I already have the starts of menopause. So far, removing the overies sounds like my best option but I will definitely do my research first. I just can't imagine having to get the shots every month for 5-10 years. I also had genetic testing done and everything looked good. I was estrogen 95% and PR 90%. I'm just starting to research my options but was waiting results of the blood test first. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Hope you ladies have a great memorial day. My kids are both in a parade and ceremony that goes right past my house so it will be an early one for me. Take care, you are all in my prayers. Mary

• jaymeb
    jaymeb Member Posts: 241
    edited May 2018
    Hi Ladies

Been lurking around. Hope you all have a great Memorial Day, and you all are having a great weekend!!!!!!🍺🍺🍷🍷🍔🍔🌭🌭
  • jaymeb
    edited May 2018
    Marijen

Thanks for all that informative information. Just read it, and don't know how I missed it.

Welcome Powerparks

Glad you joined us. As you can tell, we have wonderful, and knowledgeable women. This forum has helped me a lot.

You know, I’ve mentioned to my oncologist about taking my ovaries out. I thought I would be better off, especially when I’m strongly estrogen positive. He did, and does not want me to do it. I just saw him last week, and mentioned again. He told me surgery has it’s own risks, and since I don’t have that BRACA gene, it was fine to keep my ovaries. So, I’ve been on Tamoxifen a year, and apparently that is all I need to keep my cancer at bay.

I just thought with estrogen being the “enemy”, I would be better off without all my female organs. Finally, I got it, and will be on tamoxifen another two years, and another hormone therapy for 6-7 years. Well, ten years total.

So, this was very informative, and have a better understanding that “more” does not always mean better.

Thanks again.
  • jaymeb
    edited May 2018
    Powerparks

It’s normal to have depression. I still have my bad days. Ruth is right, many will not notice the lopsided part of your breast. Before I got my expander filled, I wore cute kimonos over dresses, and tops that had a ruffle around the breast area. Theses were mostly tops I could wear off the shoulder. Very cute. There’s so much to work with, and what works for you.

I see you don’t have to do chemo. Yayyyyyyy👍👍. I didn’t either. Just had a unilateral mascectomy on the left breast, reconstruction with implant, and had the opposite breast was reconstructed to match the other. Next, the nipple tattoo. I also had radiation, so it was a process. Are you having reconstruction on one, or both breasts? How were you able to avoid chemo? Did you have the Onco DX test? I had a low score on that test, so no chemo. Will you be doing radiation?
  • marijen
    edited May 2018

Jaymed and powerparks, you’re welcome. It just worries me that we are too quick to go along with doctor’s suggestions without knowing the risks and then later feeling sorry about our choices. That goes for surgeries, chemo, radiation and medications. Less is more is a good thing. And better to be safe than sorry. Good luck to all.